3.3

Cons

• Service:
    • In-Flight Accommodations:

A HUGE money saver

I spent the last three years of high school (2003-2006) in England with my mom and siblings while my dad was stationed in Italy (Navy). Since we were in Europe, we knew we had to take advantage of the locale. So, we traveled as much and as often as possible. This made our time overseas so much more enjoyable than it would have been without and I cherish my travel memories so much.How does RyanAir fit in? They are the only airline we used when flying within Europe. The prices were often dirt cheap; the gas charges are what brought them up. Still, when flying all around, I often got tickets, including fuel charges, for 15 GBP. We knew that the fuel charges would be many, many times more than the basic charge (often only 1p). For price, absolutely nothing compares. They do tend to take you to kind of remote airports but none so remote you can't get to and from the major city easily.We hated the bright yellow furnishings but loved the cheapness and ease of transport. Perhaps it was because I usually traveled with a young child (little brother) so we got to skip the lines a lot. Even when not, though, we stuck together and just put up with it. No flight was so long that we couldn't manage sitting away from each other or by a smelly old man. No big deal. Snacks are not provided, to cut costs. Solution: bring your own or just wait 'til you get to your destination. Easy. I've taken many school trips with RyanAir that wouldn't have been an option with higher prices. You take what you can get. You just got a flight from London to Prague for 60 GBP? SCORE!Really, just think of RyanAir as public transport. It's not supposed to be clean, accomodating, and luxurious. Buses never are, why does an airplane that gets you where you want to go so much faster supposed to be? With cost-cutting airlines like RyanAir, you get to go where you want without sacrificing too much of your money.If on a European vacation and not just hopping around while living overseas, just remember that the weight limit per bag is not as much as the limit for US international flights. Chances are you don't need that much luggage anyway, though. My brother, sister, and I always fit an entire summer's worth of clothing and then summer shopping into the bags we carried without a hitch. One time I even brought a 3.5kg (7.2lbs!) hunk of marble back from Italy without a problem.Just know that this isn't luxury. You get what you pay for. You also get to see Europe when on a budget. Just go with the flow, talk to some of your neighbors from all over the world, and enjoy your trip!Recommendation: I always use RyanAir when abroad and recommend it to everyone.

Overall, worst airline I have flown

Where to begin?

1.  On my first flight on Ryanair, I discovered they don't carry landing cards on their flights, and the Irish staff were so poorly trained they didn't even know what a landing card was.  They all looked - and acted - about 16...like tempermental, bored teenagers.

2.  On the return - which was delayed and arrived at Stansted over four hours late, we then had to wait for our bags for a further two hours.  Didn't get out of the airport until after midnight.  Many families with tired children and far to drive.

3.  The last flight was the most eventful.  We read in the local (Perpignan) paper that there was a 24 hour strike at the airport the day we were supposed to fly back to London.  Nothing on Ryanair's website, so I rang Ryanair's French office.  They were unaware of the airport closure.  I asked them what to do.  They said we should make our own alternative arrangements to get home at our own cost.  Not at all helpful.  In fact, rude and surly man kept saying, "Sorry, that's your problem".

Thought about booking again as Ryanair was offering £1 fares.  With taxes and extra charges for using a credit/debit card (the only way you can buy a ticket), one suitcase between two of us and another charge just to check it in, the fare rose to £89 return.  Plus, if we had taken our diving equipment, would have been another £300 or so per person!  Cheaper overall to fly with Air France or drive and take Eurotunnel.

Did some checking today to fly to Madrid for the May bank holiday.  With luggage, Ryanair works out to be £70 more expensive than Air France and nearly £90 more expensive than Iberia per passenger.  Can't understand why anybody would fly with Ryanair when it is so much more expensive than more comfortable airlines with much bigger baggage allowances and decent amenities which fly from Heathrow, which is over an hour closer to home?  Plus, I get frequent flier miles when travelling with other airlines.

Positive Experience

Comments about Ryanair:

I took a flight on Ryanair a few years ago when I was overseas in France. You really do get what you pay for... their flights are incredibly cheap (can't be beat!) but you get a bare-bones experience. Don't expect in-flight entertainment or beverages, don't expect to be coddled by stewardesses. This company is PERFECT for short puddle-jumps to other European countries once you're on the continent! The only major gripe I had about my flight was that a mesh pocket on the outside of my baggage got ripped by their staff. One very positive thing was that our flight was WAY ahead of schedule. I would definitely use Ryanair again for European travel!

• Service:
  • In-Flight Accommodations:

ryaniair rip-off of the century

from Nashport, OH

Comments about Ryanair:

Here is the letter I am sending to complain about the extra charges the company implies, funny enough in this 21st century the only way to address them is by written letter to Dublin.....no email????? Amazing!!!! Thank God I speak English otherwise I would have to pay a translator (maybe one owed by ryanair as well as a way to make more money from customers!!!!)

Dear Sir/Madam,

First and foremost I would like to mention the fact that my husband and I have been regular clients of ryanair for the last few years, as you can check in your records, and until now have had no reasons whatsoever to complain, in fact we always found your service correct and diligent.

However due to an incident that took place on our last holiday, April 7th Reus-Paris, I feel impelled to address your company over this issue.

I must explain that obviously we choose ryanair for being economically convenient. We checked an option on internet that said "no luggage" but we ended up carrying a suitcase (12.5Kilos) between the both of us. To begin with, we were going to do the check in on-line but as it was rather confusing we decided to check in at the airport and pay the 5€ fee. To our surprise we were presented a bill for 120€ (return) the only explanation to that amount was that we should have read all the conditions on line, I must also say that the woman on the customer service counter couldn´t even find those "conditions" which supposedly stated that "failure to check in on- line would result in being charged the aforementioned amount". We even wanted to cancell the trip but then they said we would lose the money. I hope you understand my disappointment and frustration because I felt I as if I was being robbed there and then. I understand this "attack and abuse" on the custoner´s integrity should never happen and I expect a refund of the amount paid. The online information about these "charges" cannot be that clear as the same problem was happening to many other customers at the same time.

As a teacher and a great defender of people´s rights I feel obliged to make this complaint public on TV in Spain and newspapers so that it doesn´t happen to anybody else. It was sad and, I repeat, frustrating to see how people were paying without understanding why and without option because you are trying not to get your holidays ruined!! I asked the woman if she could print the boarding passes for me there and then but was told it was not possible. Ironically enough the price for the two flights was 122€ only 2€ more than the 120€ charged for the one suitcase we were carrying between us (12.5K) and 2 boarding passes that we have always got at the airport, I take for granted that when somebody flies you need a boarding pass!!

I enclose the 5 pages I printed on January 19th (the tickets were bought the day before the 18th as you can see). I have read them all over and I don´t see any information about the fares charged if you don´t print the boarding pass yourself and neither did the woman in the customer service counter, I repeat! I do see the fare (5€) for checking in at the airport that we decided to pay as we needed to carry a suitcase. You advertise yourself as a LOW FARE COMPANY....well....I have already paid the money, of course, you play with people´s vulnerability of having to catch a plane, so now I have just got the time to denounce this matter publicly if I don´t get a satisfactory reply.

I am looking forward to hearing form you as soon as possible. I expect an answer to the below email address:

SUPER CHEAP FLIGHTS--Lots of "small print"

from Nebraska City, NE

Comments about Ryanair:

Ryan Air is so so so SOOO cheap compares to other airlines, but you really need to read the fine print. You can save a LOT Of money, just be prepared to spend a little bit elsewhere. Like for example, the flight will be cheap, but you'll probably have to pay for a bus, taxi, or some kind of transportation to get into a major city. Also, be very careful about what you pack. They can really gauge you on the fees for luggage. Make sure you know that your bags aren't too big OR too heavy. Also, although the plane has not taken off, if you are late THEY WILL NOT LET YOU ON. Best advice for Ryan Air is USE IT, but read the fine print and be there PLENTLY early.

Overall, worst airline I have flown

from North Hollywood, CA

A HUGE money saver

from Chattanooga, TN

Biggest Rip-off

from Silver Spring, MD

Comments about Ryanair:

Ryanair is by far the worst ripoff I have encountered. Not only do you have to pay separately to check in baggage but it's only a maximum of 15 KG (which everyone knows that ALL other airlines give you 20 KG). Ryanair knows that they will profit from tourists this way because all tourist bring at least 20 KG of luggage since international flights allow you to do so (I am sure that all of us take advantage of all 20 KG, otherwise what's the point). They charge 15 Euros per kilo so therefore you will be pay more than what your actual ticket cost by going over 5 KG.ALL the airports at ALL destinations are about an hour away from the actual city, so you have to pay for a bus to take you to your destination (which curiously is also owned by Ryanair).You also have to board the plane and choose your own seat, which obviously you will get a crappy one since everyone pushes and shoves to board the plane. There is very bad in flight service and the flight hostesses act like they are doing you a favor, even though you have to pay for the food which costs from 5 to 10 euros for a small meal. I'd rather spend money on a regular airline and be more confortable. Not only will you save time but you save yourself a headache. Don't fly with them, the worst in the World!So much for a "cheap" airline.