3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

A HUGE money saver

I spent the last three years of high school (2003-2006) in England with my mom and siblings while my dad was stationed in Italy (Navy). Since we were in Europe, we knew we had to take advantage of the locale. So, we traveled as much and as often as possible. This made our time overseas so much more enjoyable than it would have been without and I cherish my travel memories so much.How does RyanAir fit in? They are the only airline we used when flying within Europe. The prices were often dirt cheap; the gas charges are what brought them up. Still, when flying all around, I often got tickets, including fuel charges, for 15 GBP. We knew that the fuel charges would be many, many times more than the basic charge (often only 1p). For price, absolutely nothing compares. They do tend to take you to kind of remote airports but none so remote you can't get to and from the major city easily.We hated the bright yellow furnishings but loved the cheapness and ease of transport. Perhaps it was because I usually traveled with a young child (little brother) so we got to skip the lines a lot. Even when not, though, we stuck together and just put up with it. No flight was so long that we couldn't manage sitting away from each other or by a smelly old man. No big deal. Snacks are not provided, to cut costs. Solution: bring your own or just wait 'til you get to your destination. Easy. I've taken many school trips with RyanAir that wouldn't have been an option with higher prices. You take what you can get. You just got a flight from London to Prague for 60 GBP? SCORE!Really, just think of RyanAir as public transport. It's not supposed to be clean, accomodating, and luxurious. Buses never are, why does an airplane that gets you where you want to go so much faster supposed to be? With cost-cutting airlines like RyanAir, you get to go where you want without sacrificing too much of your money.If on a European vacation and not just hopping around while living overseas, just remember that the weight limit per bag is not as much as the limit for US international flights. Chances are you don't need that much luggage anyway, though. My brother, sister, and I always fit an entire summer's worth of clothing and then summer shopping into the bags we carried without a hitch. One time I even brought a 3.5kg (7.2lbs!) hunk of marble back from Italy without a problem.Just know that this isn't luxury. You get what you pay for. You also get to see Europe when on a budget. Just go with the flow, talk to some of your neighbors from all over the world, and enjoy your trip!Recommendation: I always use RyanAir when abroad and recommend it to everyone.

Overall, worst airline I have flown

Where to begin?

Where to begin?

1.  On my first flight on Ryanair, I discovered they don't carry landing cards on their flights, and the Irish staff were so poorly trained they didn't even know what a landing card was.  They all looked - and acted - about 16...like tempermental, bored teenagers.

2.  On the return - which was delayed and arrived at Stansted over four hours late, we then had to wait for our bags for a further two hours.  Didn't get out of the airport until after midnight.  Many families with tired children and far to drive.

3.  The last flight was the most eventful.  We read in the local (Perpignan) paper that there was a 24 hour strike at the airport the day we were supposed to fly back to London.  Nothing on Ryanair's website, so I rang Ryanair's French office.  They were unaware of the airport closure.  I asked them what to do.  They said we should make our own alternative arrangements to get home at our own cost.  Not at all helpful.  In fact, rude and surly man kept saying, "Sorry, that's your problem".

Thought about booking again as Ryanair was offering £1 fares.  With taxes and extra charges for using a credit/debit card (the only way you can buy a ticket), one suitcase between two of us and another charge just to check it in, the fare rose to £89 return.  Plus, if we had taken our diving equipment, would have been another £300 or so per person!  Cheaper overall to fly with Air France or drive and take Eurotunnel.

Did some checking today to fly to Madrid for the May bank holiday.  With luggage, Ryanair works out to be £70 more expensive than Air France and nearly £90 more expensive than Iberia per passenger.  Can't understand why anybody would fly with Ryanair when it is so much more expensive than more comfortable airlines with much bigger baggage allowances and decent amenities which fly from Heathrow, which is over an hour closer to home?  Plus, I get frequent flier miles when travelling with other airlines.

Bargain hunting - check out RYANAIR

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about Ryanair:

We were in Ireland and decided to do a side trip to Edinburg. I started doing some net surfing and was sure the cost showing for the ticket had to be wrong. It was under 30 euro per person. I did my homework and check out the small print and like our no frills lines they have what most of us see as some goofy rules.

Service
One of the biggies is you pay a hefty penalty at check in if you do not have a pre-printed boarding pass. The hotels that we were booked at was kind enough to run it for us. If you do not have access to a internet and a printer you might not be able to take advantage of the bargain fare. The key is to read and read again the rules/refund policy and luggage cost. We only had two small carry on bags for four people so we had no problems.

In-Flight Accommodations
Again typical and no big surprises. Food service was available but expensive and didn't look all that exciting. I make it a policy to not eat on these short (under two hour) flights and never buy this overpriced snacks or drinks, especially in other countries. You get less and it cost more. Seats were somewhat crowded, I was glad that I had lost a few pounds. The plane was clean, could use a face lift, but it did what we wanted. We went to point B and returned to point A.

Cheap Flights with a Catch

Comments about Ryanair:

I first learned of Ryanair through some friends who found insanely cheap flights throughout Europe and thought I would give them a try. Ryanair is an airline based out of Ireland and is categorized as a low cost no frills airline. While I was able to purchase base fares for around 10 Euros I didn't realize how expensive all of the add-ons would add up to. If you do plan on going with them read the fine print and decide if these cheap fares will really end up saving you in the long run. Things like printing out a ticket at the airport, having water on the flight, or having a carryon that is too large for their dimensions will all cost you big bucks. Oh and if you don't check in online or if you bring your boarding pass that is "damaged" they will charge you around 50 Euros to reprint at the airport. Other ridiculous fees include charging by the kilo for checked luggage past their normal checked luggage allowance which is lower than other airlines. Bottom line is if you are going to have a lot of stuff with you, check to see that other airlines won't be cheaper by not charging you for every little thing.

Cheap ... but ...

Comments about Ryanair:

The check in was very quick and they allow for 20 KG of luggage. They attendant in both occasions that we've flown, allowed us to take up to 5 KG over, which was very surprising because you usually only get this allowance with regular fare airlines. Once again the seating is pain because you have to compete with other passengers, and some of them love to cut in line or just push.

I flew easy jet in Europe to London and Madrid. The tickets are cheap but you get cheap service back. First of all, they use their own terminal so you have to go to this small and crappy terminal to board.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Know what you're getting into and it can be worth it

from Berkeley, CA

Comments about Ryanair:

Ryanair gets a bad rap with many people - especially those who aren't used to such extreme low-budget airlines. There are lots of tricks to flying this airline, and knowing them ahead of time can save you the grief of unexpected surprises or sudden charges. And if you're comfortable with the procedures going in, then you can happily save lots of money on travel!

1. They often fly into small airports that can be a distance away from the city you want to arrive in. Know this ahead of time and arrange your transportation accordingly.

2. They'll charge you for anything they can. Extra bag? Food? Priority boarding? Expect to pay - or better yet, just do without.

3. If you're flying on a non-EU passport, read up on the procedures for checking in, which can often be different than passengers with an EU passport.

In short - read up, do your research, and know what you're getting into. Then, enjoy your cheap trip!

All Over Europe

from united states

Comments about Ryanair:

RyanAir is all over Europe. They are one of the airlines I lean towards traveling with when I am visiting the UK.

Service
RyanAir services a number of airports throughout Europe, both the large international airports and the smaller regional airports. The ticket prices on RyanAir are comparable with major airlines today. Unfortunately, along with the somewhat discount ticket prices comes the somewhat neglected customer service department. It leaves a little to be desired.

In-Flight Accommodations
As with most discount airlines today, I feel that some of the in-flight accommodations offered by RyanAir are not the best. On my flight out of Manchester last month, there were no food options available (all beverage selections were available). In addition, RyanAir does not offer a great deal of leg room (however, that is not an option for me seeing as how I am not as vertically gifted as some of my in-flight neighbors).

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Super cheap flights... as long as you follow their rules

Comments about Ryanair:

Ryanair saved me a lot of money when I was traveling in Europe. It's an Irish airline that offers flights all over Europe, and if you book well in advance, you can get flights at ridiculously good prices. That being said, you need to realize that the only reason Ryanair can offer cheap flights is because they get rid of all the "frills," so don't expect any perks. Ryanair does fly to major destinations, but sometimes you have to depart/arrive at smaller, lesser-known airports, which can be really inconvenient. The boarding gates are also always the furthest from the security checkpoint, so make sure you arrive early, as you have to do a bit of walking. The boarding gates themselves are also very unimpressive. Most of the ones I've encountered don't even have seating areas.There's no free food and drink on the plane (it's available for purchase), and there's also no inflight movie. However, all of this is expected for any low-cost airline.

Ryanair makes most of its money from its "fees," so it's important that you follow their rules and read the fine print in order to avoid these unnecessary charges. You're allowed one carry-on bag, but it MUST fit Ryanair's required size dimensions. They have these metal frames at each gate, and if your bag looks just a little too big, they will make you try to fit the bag into the frame. If it doesn't, you'll have to pay a crazy fee. I had to pay 60 pounds when I was in London. Also, if you miss a flight, they won't refund any of your money, and it costs about 200-300 euros to switch to another flight!

All in all, Ryanair is an essential airline for money-conscious travelers to use in Europe. It saves you a ton of money, but only if you follow the airline's rules and plan accordingly.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Unbeatable deals, great for flexible travelers

Comments about Ryanair:

I was lucky enough to live in Germany for two wonderful years, and I used Ryan Air for all of my airline travels, at least two dozen times, so I have quite a bit of experience with Ryan Air. Ryan Air is not intended for people who have no date flexibility, and who expect a full service meal on their flight. This is a low-cost airline, meaning that you can get incredible deals, as long as you are willing to overlook certain things like the lack of seat assignment, restricted luggage size and weight, and having to pay for drinks. Ryan Air should be treated as a way to get from point A to point B, and that is that. I have flown to London, from Germany, for $20 round trip. Yes, $20. I took many weekend trips while living in Germany, and the most money I ever spent on a round trip ticket was $70. That is still cheaper than driving, especially with gas prices in Europe, as well as toll roads in certain countries. I would gladly use Ryan Air again for such deals.

Service
People working for Ryan Air have been mostly pleasant to me, but even if not, I really did not care, since I was able to travel to amazing places for next to nothing. I will gladly trade service for amazing travel deals.

In-Flight Accommodations
I am giving Ryan Air an 8 for in-flight accommodations mostly because I think that their airplanes, even though somewhat basic (no tv screen, no reclining for some planes), they planes are clean, bright, and absolutely appropriate for short flights, which is usually what your flight will be when traveling within Europe. You can always buy their drinks if you must, but you can also take on your own food and drinks instead, which is what most people do.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Great if you're on a Budget!

Comments about Ryanair:

Ryanair is fantastic if you're on a budget and want to see Europe. The fares are very low and the Irish based airline provides services that aren't too bad for the price you pay. I once went on a tour of Europe flying Ryanair at 3 times to different destinations and all three times the two most important things worked out: I arrived saflty at my destination and I arrived on time.
While other European airlines offer much better/more service, in flight entertainment and have less fees they also charge a lot more. Ryanair does have quite a few fees, but even with the fees you're still flying cheaper than with other airlines. For the most part. You can try to fly with as little as possible and can get pretty good deals.

Service
The service Ryanair provides is not the greatest and it seems to me almost as if they are understaffed, but I guess cutting labor costs translates to cheaper tickets.

In-Flight Accommodations
Very little. The airline has no in flight entertainment of any kind. The seats have a small pitch and aren't the most comfortable either.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

RyanAir is a bargain for the prepared traveller.

Comments about Ryanair:

When I moved to London four months ago to begin my study abroad experience I was advised by several of my friends to fly RyanAir. I admit I was skeptical to take the advice because I had heard horror stories of flight delays and crowded seating, but I have used RyanAir for the majority of my European travels and have had no problems with the airline. One thing to be clear about: RyanAir is not a luxury airline. If comfort and complimentary service is what you're looking for in your travels, RyanAir is not for you. However, it has extremely competitive prices that make it one of the cheapest airlines and flies to virtually all the major cities in Europe and the UK. If you select the bargain prices of RyanAir to deliver you to your European destination, there are several guidelines to keep in mind before you travel. First, the luggage restrictions can be rather specific, but they are reasonable and any problem can be easily avoided by carrying luggage with the correct dimensions. I have traveled with a backpack every time I've flown and most times it has been over the weight limit, but I have never been asked to weigh it simply because its a backpack and looks like a reasonable size. Printing out your boarding pass before getting to the airport is an absolute must for RyanAir, if you fail to check-in online beforehand you risk being charged a fee. Also, RyanAir does not assign seats so I would suggest lining up at the gate early in order to get a seat that suits your needs. Finally, I have heard some of my friends complain that the plane is overcrowded, but what you have to remember is you're traveling for a bargain price and sacrificing a little legroom is definitely worth RyanAir's unbeatable prices. I would also suggest bringing a set of headphones to drown out the aggravating elevator music they play while passengers board the plane, but maybe some people enjoy that, everyone's different. For travelers on a budget RyanAir is the best choice not only for its unbeatable prices, but also for its accessibility to many European cities. As long as you're prepared, RyanAir is easy to use and should definitely be your airline of choice.

Positive Experience

Comments about Ryanair:

I took a flight on Ryanair a few years ago when I was overseas in France. You really do get what you pay for... their flights are incredibly cheap (can't be beat!) but you get a bare-bones experience. Don't expect in-flight entertainment or beverages, don't expect to be coddled by stewardesses. This company is PERFECT for short puddle-jumps to other European countries once you're on the continent! The only major gripe I had about my flight was that a mesh pocket on the outside of my baggage got ripped by their staff. One very positive thing was that our flight was WAY ahead of schedule. I would definitely use Ryanair again for European travel!