Other Dog Foods:
Royal Canin
Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food

Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food

great food

When we got our puppy from an adoption agency they were using a mix of Royal Canin and Science Diet.  We kept up the mix for a few months before the dog started to take a liking to the Royal Canin and would literally eat all of it before eating the Science Diet.  We talked with our Vet who said that Royal Canin is a great brand and we should have no issues relying solely on that as the food for our dog.  We also found that mixing the smaller breed with the larger breed (different kibble size) was also something that the Vet recommended to get a broader balance between protein and fiber.  One downside which we found with Royal Canin is that its relatively low in Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids compared to some other brands.  While the dogs don't need this, this helps keep their coats in good shape but also keeps their skin from drying out.  They do have supplements for the dogs to provide the oils, or you can find treats which have a higher concentration to help balance out the lack of oils from Royal Canin.  I would talk to the vet to find out if the oils are even needed.

Contains contriversal fillers, medium teir

Comparitively this food is fairly good its at the low end of botique foods, containing the fillers of corn which is a common allergin and a cheap filler product in the first five ingredients which are the most important by wieght. Two rice products are present in the top five ingredients if combined would well put rice as the main ingredient in this dog food. Its a decent grain and easily digested but it makes the dog food cheaper then it apears as chicken is the first written ingredent and would be further on the list if the rice products where listed together. There is further rice product in the ingredents list as well, as well as chemicaly treated chicken fat which is a flavoring but not really healthy. This food contains beat pulp which is a controversal filler its a sweetener to draw in dogs but is fairly useless.

This is far better then feeding ol'roy but its still only middle of the line dog food. There are far better brands out there for your small breed dog.

Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food is a great food

from Canton, OH

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food has kept my yorkie happy and healthy. He has been on this since he got off his babydog food. And he is very healthy inside. No problems at all. And his skin, coat, and nails are all very healthy as well. It's nice sized smaller sized kibble are perfect for smaller dogs. My vet originally suggested I feed my dog this particular food. He said it would be a great choice for my yorkie since he's so small in size. Since my dogs in such good health I don't plan on changing to another brand any time soon. It will remain his food unless his health requires me to change it or he decides he doesn't like it anymore. At this point he is thriving on this particular food.

Quality of Ingredients
This is a high quality dog food. It may not be the highest quality on the market but my dog, my vet, and myself are happy with it.

Flavor Selection
This only comes in the one flavor as far as I know. But my dog loves it.

• Quality of Ingredients:
  • Flavor Selection:

Royal Canin for princess pups

from Boone, NC

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

My pup is a princess about dog-food, but she gobbles down her Royal Canin. It tastes good and it's good for her! They don't put in a bunch of ridiculous chemicals and preservatives. The bag also has a seal at the top so that I don't have to pull out plastic containers to store it in. The bag keeps in the freshness. Feeding her isn't a huge hastle now. Also, my vet has a great policy, where if the dog doesn't like the food, you can bring back the opened food for a full refund. I haven't had to do that with Royal Canin! She loves it. It's not full of fat, but good healthy protein and all of the ingredients are listed right on the bag. The bag even tells you how much to feed your dog according to the dog's weight.

• Quality of Ingredients:
  • Flavor Selection:

Royal Canin, I would not buy this again

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

I purchase the Royal Canin after I got my new dog since my veterinarians told me its was good. So I said why not since I was out of dog food at home. So I got a 20lb bag of Royal Canin to try out. Well I did use it all since I dont like to waste food, but I would not buy it again. I wonder how much money my vet makes from sell this??? It made my dog fat in only a week and I did not like the smell of this dog food. I was shock on how much my dog belly grew. I went back to the raw frozen food that made my dogs happy and not fat. So if you want to try this I would not. Please save your money and buy something else. I wonder sometimes what they put in dog food like this ans why is my vet selling this??

okay compared to other brands

from Payne, OH

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

i tried **Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food for my pets. at first they like **Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food but after awhile the dogs got tired of it and would not eat **Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food. the pros are the bites are small for smaller dogs so they dont choke and the dogs can chew it easier. cons are, it is expensive. It is not worth the extra cost. it is not found in every store. 3rd, the ingredients in **Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food is cheap and caused my doge to get bad "gas". in conclussion, i would not recommend **Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food to anyone, there are many others to choose from that is just as good without th extra expense.**********

It's ok

from Cleveland, TN

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

I have a yorkie who is 3 pounds. When we first got him, we were told that this was the best food for him, so we went to our local pet store and got a bag. He ate it, yes, but I found out that he would much rather have what our other inside dog had, and for the price, so would we.

Royal Canin is a good brand, don't get me wrong. But when you add another dog into the picture who is a large breed, and mix him with a small breed, they are going to want what the other has. We kept him on it until we finished the bag, and it did last a long time with no more than he eats. But, he is just as healthy and active on regular (and yes, he does eat large breed food) dog food.

If you are particularly price cautious, check into it, see if it has what your dog needs and what your vet suggests. For us, having 3 dogs, the price just didn't fit into our budget, and as it turned out, he'd rather have what his "big brother" is having.

Royal Canin rocks

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

THis food is awesome!  My dogs are finally eating well, the diet food helped my older dog lose weight.  It seems to give them more energy, and they just feel better.  The love to eat their food now, where as before they would get sick of it really quickly.

royal canin really works!

from Gettysburg, PA

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

royal canin food really works. I got a chiuahua mixed breed dog, and he would not eat purina or beneful or anything else we tried, but the royal canin chiuahua food was a whole different story. We were willing to try anything because when we first got my dog, Mojo, he was very skinny. We were at the pet store looking for other options of dog food, and we saw royal canin. The package said "stimulates fussy appetites." We saw the price, it was very expensive, so we were kind of wondering if we should pay that much for a little bag of food. I am glad we did, he LOVES it!!!! He goes crazy for his chiuahua food! We do have to mix it with some beneful, though, because it is so expensive, and for 7 pounds mojo eats a lot!!! At least it got him to eat, and he still loves it I just wish it wasn't so expensive. We also have a corgi who will eat anything and everything she can get her paws on so this has been A source of conflict becuase, well let's just say it doesn't only stimulate Fussy appetites!! lol

great food

from Livermore, CA

I buy Royal Canin because my dog eats it

from Sylmar, CA

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

Our family got a dog, and as it was first we were having trouble getting her eat dog food.  She was a Pomeranian and I assume her last owner just fed her scraps from her plate and she didn't much seem to like dog food as much as human food.  And I'm not talking meat she would like to eat pasta and spaghetti too. Anyway we tried all kinds of dog foods, and this had the best result.  She seems to eat it regularly and I assume this is because this dog food was the smallest and she was bet able to physically eat this, also I'm sure it tastes better and was more appetizing.  It is generally a dry dog food although it is slightly greasy, this is a better option than wet dog food which can cause oral problems for the dogs latter on.  This is all we feed her outside of a few dog treats and I swear we have noticed a better coat on her and also less offensively smelling stool whenever she goes in the house, which is not often as she is potty trained. Also the bag is resealable and seems keep relatively well.

Ok food for dogs without allergies.

from Brooklyn, CT

Comments about Royal Canin Small Breeds under 20lbs Dog Food:

This is the food we fed our dogs until we found out they had allergies. Unfortunatly many of the things they are allergic to are in this food. Royal Canin is a very good, healthy, choice for dogs AND cats. The thing I liked about this bag in particular is it has small pieces,not big chunky pieces made for bigger dogs with bigger jaws, making it easier for my little dogs to chew! It is kind of on the pricey side, but worth the money for your dogs health. My dogs teeth were always imaculate while they were being fed this food, and they never turned their noses up to it, making it a great choice. It is very easy to find at any pet store around, or you can order it online too, you won't have to go searching for a place to buy it. It's high quality ingredients make it a super choice. I would most likely reccomend it to a friends with dogs that do not have allergies, in fact I have recommended it to friends!