Other Rotisseries & Roasters:

Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven

Pros

Cons

From the Infomercials to My Kitchen Counter

Cooking can be an arduous task if one doesn't have the right equipment. Some foods are easy to prepare by simply placing them on a flat cookie sheet and popping them in the oven. But other foods are best prepared by heating in a different fashion, with the heat source placed at a different angle than that provided by an ordinary oven. This is where my **Ronco ST4000 Showtime Standard Rotisserie & BBQ** comes into play. It helps cook meats and other foods more evenly with its rotisserie action. **Appliance Commentary:** Ronco is a company whose name is synonymous with television infomercials. The sales pitch on this commercials is direct and simple: That Ronco products are just the thing that has always been missing from your kitchen and that they can perform tasks you never before thought possible, transforming your kitchen and elevating your cooking skills to a new level of expertise. I used this appliance several times during the two years I owned it. The cooking results during that time were pretty good and I liked having an oven like this one in addition to my traditional oven because it provided a good alternative to regular oven cooking. The food slowly turns as the heat source warms it, ensuring that food is cooked more evenly than it would be cooked in a regular oven. The heat source in this oven is in the rear, so this is where the heat is most concentrated and this is where it cooks the food as it turns on the rotisserie. Another nice feature of this oven is the steaming option. The top of this oven gets very hot and to take advantage of this heat source, Ronco provides a dual- sided tray (with cover) where you can place vegetables and other foods for steam cooking. You just put the food in the tray, cover it, and sit the tray on top of the oven. It warms up quickly, providing an additional cooking source that produces nicely steamed foods without having to resort to using your stove top. If you're the type who likes to season your meats, Ronco will make you happy with its included injection syringe. With this device, you can place different spices, fruit juices, and other seasonings deep inside the meat. All you do is load the syringe, find a soft spot on the meat, poke it through, and squeeze it out. I recommend doing this to several spots in the meat to make sure the seasoning doesn't concentrate itself in one place.  This rotisserie is a good one and I like what it has to offer, but there are still some shortcomings that need to be addressed. First of all, you need to know that this unit gets *very* hot on the outside. You have to be careful where you touch because almost every part of the exterior surface will be red hot to the touch. The fact that the top of the unit doubles as a steam cooker should give you an idea what I'm talking about. About the only areas that don't get hot are the knob controls and switch located to the right side. You can safely touch these without risk of a burn. But you need to stay clear of the rest of the oven when it's in operation. It is surprising how hot it gets. One other thing about this oven that should be improved is the oven door. What I don't like is the way it rests in place against the front when closed- with no latch or anything else to hold it securely in place. When you open it all the way, the glass door can be pushed underneath the oven to get it out of your way, which is helpful. But the fact that there is no latch to keep it closed worried me a little. If someone accidentally bumps the front of the unit the wrong way during operation, the door will fall open. If this happens, there is a good chance the door will break.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, I liked my Ronco Showtime ST4000 Rotisserie and BBQ oven during the time I owned it (I sold it due to lack of use- we were usually in a hurry to eat and didn't have time to utilize it). I liked the way it cooks large pieces of meats and I liked the fact that I can utilize some of the excess heat by using the steamer on top of the oven to prepare fresh vegetables. The oven door could be improved and the excessive heat could be cause for concern if one has children. But other than these minor flaws, this rotisserie is a good one. It may not be the "wonder oven" that the infomercials make it out to be but it is still a handy device for any kitchen.

Ronco Rotisserie Oven makes great food, but hard to clean

My husband watched the infomercial over over and talked about this rotisserie, and I finally got it for him for his birthday a couple of years ago. When we fist watched the instructional video, I laughed, it says you can't really set it and forget it. For me that was a major selling point as I like to garden and be outside. I thought I could set it up,, turn it on and leave. Not so.

Ok, Let's see how the food tastes. No false advertising there. Everything we tried came out delicious, we tried chicken, pork, fish, even burgers. The taste was great, the food was juicy and dried out at all. We could cook enough for the then seven people who lived in the house. Putting the food on the spit was a little tricky, but by now we are pros.

Now lets clean up after dinner. Uh oh, The drip pan was very hard to get the grease cleaned up out of. The spit was supposed to be non-stick, but it didn't clean-up like it was. After three years the non-stick coating is gone off the spit and I put a disposible aluminum pan under as the drip tray. Makes clean up easier. The aluminum tray washes out easier than their drip tray. My outside will never look clean, so I hide it in a cupboard until ready to use it.

Ronco Showtime Rotisserie makes it easy to BBQ

from Texas

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

This rotisserie is easy to use and the meat prepared for on it is wonderful. I like the grill enough that I replaced my old one (after fifteen years) for the newer model So why the score of eight. I hate cleaning it. I even line the drip pan to make it easier and it is still a chore.

The rotisserie comes with two different sized wire baskets that you put meat in. I prepare a larger amount of ribs, chops and such so to be honest I have never used the small basket but if you were a family of two then it would be useful. I fix a small turkey on the rotisserie and it came out to perfection. The drip pan works great if you are wanting the drippings. Whole chickens are better than any of the ones you buy precooked at the store.

I use this grill several times a week. The first unit was still working when I bought a new one. I gave my old one to a friend who was still using it last time I heard from her.

This is the only negative that I can say. Clean up is a pain as far as I am concerned but then I don't like to clean the charcoal grill either. With the rotisserie, you have a drip pan, wire baskets are a coated the frame which is the most difficult to clean. The glass front cleans easily even with cooked on juice from the meat.

This is the easy part and the end results is worth the effort is takes to clean the unit up. It really is just a matter of preparing your meat with your favorite seasonings. If you are doing a chicken or turkey tie the legs with the elastic band that comes with the unit, then put it on the stainless rods, turn the unit on and it will be done in about a hour. Easy to understand instructions come with the machine.

Ronco Rotisserie

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

We love rotisserie chicken and used to buy it all the time. When I received this as a gift I was thrilled. I use this to make chicken to use in all sorts of recipes. The chickens slowly turn as they cook and all the fat drips right off making them healthier than roasting in an oven. The glass door provides entertainment as well, my kids love to sit there and watch the chickens cook! One of the features I like is the automatic shut off, this is great if you are forgetful like me. Mine came with a bunch of extras too, gloves, a carving board, and some pans to use in it.

Toasting Evenness
The food slowly turns so it cooks very evenly.

Safety
Has an automatic shut off.

There is a lot to clean out so cleaning can be somewhat of a pain. I use mine a few times a month so it's become somewhat routine now.

Seems to be made with good high quality materials.

It is not huge but it is not small either. I do not leave mine sitting out as I have limited counter space but I can easily fit it in the pantry.

Love love love this!

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

This is my second Showtime Rotisserie and I love it! I was so lost when my first one finally quit I just had to have another one! I have tried others and nothing compares to this one. My only issue with this product is when you put the item in it is hard to determine if it will hit the coils until you actually slide it in. Clean up is a breeze!

amazing

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

I used to use this roaster for roasting prime rib, ham and chicken. It was an amazing roaster. I would recommend this roaster to anyone including family and friends who want a roaster. I hope everyone else enjoyed using it. Mmmm...makes me want to eat some prime rib and rotisserie chicken.

Rotisserie chicken just like the deli - set it and forget it!

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

This amazing rotisserie has become my go-to appliance for roasts and chickens. I found it easy to use, clean up isn't too cumbersome, and my meat (especially chicken) always comes out juicy and perfect if set correctly. Just season the meat, skewer it onto the rotisserie spit, set the timer to the weight of the meat according to the recipe guide, and wait until it is done...no basting or temperature changing. I like to line the drip pan with foil for easier clean up, and all the removable parts are dishwasher safe.
The down side is the size of the oven for storage if space is a problem. It is quite large for an appliance that isn't used that often and normally would be stored away. It is not, however, very heavy so it is easily moved around. I prefer to move it outdoors to rotisserie in the summer when the weather is hot so it doesn't heat up the kitchen.
If you enjoy rotisserie, you won't be disappointed with this affordable appliance.

Don't make it hard, Just take it out of the box and use it

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

Its not often I've bought a product that I can rave about, but this is it! This really is supremely simple: 1. Put he meat inside on the rotisserie or in the basket. 2. Dial in the amount of time you want it to cook for. 3. Enjoy.

We're pretty basic at our house, don't want a bunch of appliances, and pretty much just use salt and pepper (or Montreal Steak Seasoning) to season the meat. I love that every thing tastes great coming out of here, it doesn't heat up the kitchen and you can see how the roasting is coming along in case you want to set it for a little longer.

The Parts clean up great in the dishwasher and If the inside of the glass gets a little beyond the soap and water stage then oven cleaner will wipe it clean in a matter of minutes. Thought it was kind of funny to see a DVD in the package, but don't worry , that's just overkill. Don't make it hard, just take this out of the box and use it.

Turns out a perfectly cooked pork tenderloin with little fuss!

from Oak Island, NC

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

I had another brand of rotisserie several years ago, and hated it so badly I sold it in a yard sale after three uses. I picked up the Showtime brand in a thrift shop after a girlfriend raved about it. I'm thrilled with my purchase.

This rotisserie, unlike the one I'd used before, is extremely easy to clean, with all parts being dishwasher safe. The only thing left for me to clean is the glass door, which actually doesn't seem to get very dirty at all - minor grease splatters occasionally is about it. The timer is very accurate, and I haven't had any problems using the suggested times for anything I've cooked so far. It is truly "set it and forget it".

It would be nice if the product came with more kitchen string, but I've found the solution for that, too. Bed, Bath and Beyond carries silicone "rubber bands" that are reusable. These bands are perfect for use with the Showtime Rotisserie.

Works pretty well, but large and kind of ugly

from Panama City, FL

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

This Ronco was a favorite of my husband's; he had one in college and got me one for my birthday, even though I didn't want yet another item cluttering up my kitchen. To appease him, I made several chickens and chicken legs in this Ronco and they turned out pretty well. I wish the baskets for chicken parts were deeper, as some drumsticks didn't fit at all (they were too fat for the basket). The baskets are also a bit hard to clean off after cooking; some scrubbing is required. The Ronco is really pretty large and takes up a good amount of space on my counter or in my storage closet. I wouldn't mind so much, but it's pretty ugly and just functional looking - the design is not aesthetically pleasing and pretty clunky. But I guess it works well enough.

A Rotisseries that is very easy to use!

from Jacksonville, NC

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

I received the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie from my mother-in-law several years ago. I was so intimidated by it, it sat in the closet unused until just recently. I have to say that although it looks very complicated to assemble and operate, it was just the opposite. And, after tasting how yummy the chicken is that we cooked in it, I can't believe I waited so long to use it!

We have the white rotisserie unit, but the operation is just the same. It has everything you need to cook a chicken, roast, or other heavy meat, as well as a basket to cook fish, vegetables, and more. The meat is very simple to place onto the rod, and if you don't happen to get it on right, you just remove it and adjust it. IT IS EASY!

The unit comes with a built-in timer and an easy-to-follow cooking guide. The meat circulates as it cooks, and it lights on the inside can you can keep an eye on how the meat is progressing. When the cooking cycle is done, you simply put on the heavy-duty gloves and remove the rod. Slide the meat off and carve.

Clean up is a breeze, which really surprised me because I thought it would be difficult. Everything pops right into the dishwasher and the inside of the rotisserie just gets wiped out. Most of the supplies can be stored right inside the rotisserie itself, so it doesn't take up a lot of space.

Great for occasional use

from Langhorne, PA

Comments about Ronco Showtime Standard Rotisserie and BBQ Oven:

We love to use this for the occasional rotisserie. It does a great job, but unfortunately takes up too much space to leave in the kitchen all the time. It is fairly easy to clean and super easy to use!