Other Ice Cream Makers:

Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker

Pros

Cons

Nothing like homemade icecream

This is a great ice cream maker.  You just put the ingredients together and put it in the canster.  Add water and ice in layers, attach the motor and turn it on.  All you have to do is keep adding salt, ice and water.  You won't have any sore arms from cranking (or behinds for those having to sit on the old ice cream makers).

You can get very creative with the ingredients, and it all tastes really great.  The only bad thing?  Takes to long in the freezer.  Oh and watch out for rust after years of use.

Left Metal Shavings in Ice Cream

My husband and I registered for this ice cream maker when we got married. The first time we got it out of the box to use it, after going through the motions of making the ice cream mixture, packing the bucket with ice, etc (in other words, invested a fair amount of time into it), then let it run its course, we opened up the container to find the metal piece that turns had stripped while it was spinning and our ice cream was covered with metal shavings. Not exactly appetizing. Making ice cream takes too much investment of time and resources to risk ending up with completely inedible results, therefore we returned the unit to Rival and instead bought a Cuisinart countertop model. We have yet to be disappointed with our new purchase.

Expensive ice cream maker but makes good product

from north augusta sc

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

This ice cream maker is an incredibly attractive appliance to own in the home. This was my second ice cream machine that I purchased after another one got worn out. This ice cream maker costs a lot of money compared to other ones! This ice cream maker makes quality ice cream products, but I can make quality ice cream with a machine that costs a lot less. Another issue I have with the machine is the many parts that are associated with it. There are a lot of parts to clean with this machine! I also do not think that this machine is child friendly, as I had a difficult time making the ice cream. I would save this machine only for the die hard ice cream makers, however, it does make a good product if you have the spare money and can afford it. I would still recommend this product.

Makes wonderful ice cream with each use

I think its impossible to break this machine

A little hard to crank the handle to make ice cream

Too many parts to clean

Capacity
Holds more ice cream than other products

A great piece of equipment to look at!

• Capacity:

Not only makes good ice cream, it brings back fond memories

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

I remembered going to grandma's and home made ice cream. I guess I spoke about it often enough that the kids got me a Rival mixer with the old fashion wood tub for Fathers day I do have to say, I forgot how much work making ice cream was or what it cost to make but all that aside, it makes great ice cream and still is a memory maker. So I give this a almost perfect rating. I had to subtract for the work and cost.

The Rival ice cream maker does a outstanding job of making ice cream. Just follow the directions and you can't go wrong. The electric motor is not only easy to use, it takes such a little amount of time to make a memory making treat. When we make ice cream we take advantage of the freezer already being cold and the ice that that is in the tub. As soon as the first tub is finished, empty and rinse the container, refill the container with the liquid that you have premixed and double the ice cream. We like to make two different flavors and this is the ideal time to do that.

The motor is quiet and really is no louder than a hand mixer. We have used this freezer several times already and have not found any problems that we think will be any issues with the durability. I think rinsing and drying off the different parts before storing will make the unit last longer.

This product is easy to use and the electric motor does all of the hard work just leaving you to enjoy the finished product. Storage is the biggest problem and so it is a chore getting it out and putting it away so I don't use it very often but the plus side is - it only takes about thirty minutes to freeze the ice cream once you have everything ready.

We hand wash with soap and rinse with very hot water and dry these as well as wiping the tub dry before storing.

Capacity
We find that the one quart size of the tub is a little small so we usually make two freezer and we can use the same ice/salt mixture. I think I would get a larger tub next time.

Looks like the old fashion units but the electric motor sure makes it easier to use. The tub is a wooden look on this model and it is lighter than the old fashion units however I don't see this as a disadvantage

Works well, looks cool.

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

I received this ice cream maker as a gift. I have never really made ice cream before, so I can't really compare this Rival ice cream maker to other brands, but it works well enough. I only use it a few times a year because it's just so easy to go out and buy ice cream.

This machine makes decent ice cream. It can sometimes freeze up, so you have to be careful about making sure everything is working properly. It takes a little longer than I would have expected for the ice cream to be ready, but overall it works well and I would recommend to someone who wasn't going to be using it a lot.

I've had this machine for a few years and haven't had any issues with it mechanically. It's a simple design, so there's not a lot to go wrong.

Very easy to use since it is so simple.

Fairly easy to clean. Comes apart pretty easily, which is good for cleaning.

Capacity
This machine doesn't make a huge amount, so if you want something for a lot of people, go with a bigger machine.

The design of this machine is pretty cool, especially if you're going to leave it out, almost like a display item.

Ice Cream Maker

from Machesney Park, IL

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

When my husband and I met he already owned the Rival 5 Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker. He loves making ice cream and I had never made ice cream before. I love the size it makes so much ice cream that we have leftovers to store. It is easy to use and it has lasted a long time. We have made chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and mint ice cream. We have made sorberts and yorgurt ice creams. My complaints are that it takes way too long and it isn't worth the time and effort. You have the keep the salt free or it gets stuck. Now my husband loves homemade ice cream so much that he is willing to take the time and effort to make this ice cream. Me, I would rather run to the store and grad a spoon and get to work.

Left Metal Shavings in Ice Cream

from Cary, NC

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

Had for years and still makes the best ice cream!

from North Richland Hills, TX

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

I have had this ice cream maker for years and it's still making amazing ice cream! I have considered purchasing a new one that might take a shorter time to make the ice cream, but why fix something if it isn't broke, ya know? This has been one of the best investments I have made. You don't realize the cost of ice cream until you stop buying it and you start making your own. It's actually really expensive, but I like making my own. I know exactly what it is made of and it tastes AMAZING! I have a daughter and she loves when I make our ice cream. It's really fun and it's something that the lkids can help with too, which is a total plus for me... I mean what more could you ask for: time with your child WHILE making ice cream :) ! I have recommended this to my friends and family and I am now recommending it to you! :)

Easy Homemade Ice Cream!

from Lehi, UT

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

We purchased this ice cream maker shortly after getting married, and have used it about 7 times in the last 3 years (we usually only use it in the summer). We have loved being able to make ice cream ourselves. The recipe booklet that comes with the ice cream maker are delicious! It makes so much more ice cream than we can ever eat ourselves, but I am sure that will change once all of our kids are grown. :) That's ok, because it's really fun to share with friends and family! It's a little loud, but not unbearable. It's very easy to use, especially if there are two of you working on it (one pouring salt, one pouring ice). The only problem we have had is that somehow our sprung a leak! We were able to solve this problem by immersing it in a sink full of cold water, so that the water wouldn't leak out. Just fill it to the same level as the ice and salt inside the bucket and it still works. Annoying that it leaks, but well worth the money for how long it has lasted.

Nothing Better than Homemade Ice Cream

from Perkins, OK

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

I would recommend the Rival Ice Cream Maker to anyone wanting to make some great tasting ice cream and it be simple with not a lot of work.  This is one of our favorite summertime traditions and even the younger kids like to help make the ice cream.  We use our own receipe and like to try new flavors, but you can really use your imagination and create whatever flavor you want.  Our secret trick is we use a box of dry pudding (whatever flavor we are make, ex vanilla pudding mix for vanilla ice creat, chocolate for chocolate etc) and it was REALLY yummy.  It made it creamy and gave it so much extra flavor.  You just put the ingredients in the canister and use the fill line.  You then will pack your ice and salt around.  Just follow the easy instructions and use your favorite receipe and you wont be sorry, we have yet to mess up a batch.  Its great you just turn it on and no checking it will shut off when done.  Great purchase for lots of fun family memories.

great for summer time

from Uncasville, CT

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

During the summer, one of my family's favorite traditions is making home made ice cream. When I was a kid, I used to make it with my family except we did not have an ice cream maker to help make the job easier. This Rival ice cream maker works great for making good tasting ice cream. I bought it partly because of the classic old fashioned look of it because I thought that made it look more homey. This ice cream maker is electric, and it makes 5 quarts of ice cream which is enough to last the family a few hot days. The ice cream maker is easy to clean when it is dirty and it is light to carry. I like the motor because it is not too loud when it is making the ice cream. This ice cream maker came with a nice recipe book which has helped me be able to make new tasty treats for my family. Some of the recipes are a bit eccentric in my opinion, but all of the ones that we have tried have been a hit in my home.

A tasty treat from your freezer

from Conneautville, PA

Comments about Rival Quart Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker:

What could be better than a frozen treat you make yourself?  With Rival, all things are possible.  Rival's innovative Ice cream maker will solve all of your frozen treat dilemmas.  You can make your own homemade ice cream fast and easy. It's worth the wait for that great taste!  Just a few simple ingredients and you are on your way.  In these tough economic times, Rival will be there for you.!

Meet the challenge of the supermarket and mall ice cream stands.  Be the first in your neighborhood to show off your ice cream making talents.  With Rival's lastest ice cream mixes and great ice cream maker you will have great tasting ice cream for family and friends in no time.  Rival's price for great ice cream fun can not be beat.

Looking for that great gift for ice creaam lovers?  Rival has the answer wrapped up for you!  Great quality, great price and a great time for all! Rival will provide your favorite frozen treat made by you!