3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

You get what you pay for

I give this product an overall rating of seven. My husband and I bought this product when we first moved in together, we didn't have a lot of money so we chose this brand because it was extremely cheap. It worked very well at first and we had no issues with it. One day we were using it and it began to smoke. Needless to say we threw it away and had to buy a new one. We did have it for several months before this happened, and it worked well for the duration. However, seeing your appliance start to smoke when you're using it is a very scary thing so we were sure not to purchase this brand again.

Mixing Performance
Mixed well until it messed up. I am not an expert cook and do not use mixers often. I have no experience with expensive mixers to compare it to, but it worked well for me.

Cleaning was as easy as it ever is on mixers. Nothing noticeably harder or easier to clean.

Very easy to use and self explanatory. Doesn't have any extra buttons other than the eject and speed variation switches.

As I mentioned, it worked well for the first couple of months but when it messed up it wasn't as simple as not turning on. Smoking items are of more concern than just simply messing up and not working anymore.

Useless Mixer

Please don't buy it. The holes for the metal mixers make the mixers not align properly causing it to jam. When it does work the lowest setting is far too fast and makes a mess out of powdery ingredients.

Mixing Performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r83-1vaEdKw <-- See for yourself.

It gets very messy due to the speed of the lowest setting.

It doesn't really work right at all.

Aside from the two main flaws it would be a great mixer for the price - it would be easy to use.

Not pleased

from Ontario canada

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

Cons

• Has five speeds all the same

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

Can't use when all five speeds are the same

Handy

from Edina, MN

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

The Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer is a nice accessory for your kitchen if you like to do a lot of baking. It is easy to put together and easy to clean. You can just pop off the metal parts and pass a damp rag over the machine to clean off any leftover batter or powder. The 5 speed option is nice since you can regulate it to what is best for what you are making. These are fun for kids to use as well. You can get one for a pretty good price and it lasts awhile. I had mine for at least a few years. I liked it and it was very useful, but I like my KitchenAid more!

Mixing Performance
      It offers 5 speeds for you to choose from for mixing and this is helpful.

Easy to clean. Just pop off the metal parts.

Simple to use, even kids have a fun time doing it.

The design is simple and all you really need. It may be a bit heavy if you have to do a lot of mixing.

Mine lasted for at least a couple of years and I had no problems with it. I just prefer the KitchenAid now.

• Mixing Performance:

Great little mixer for the price

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

I got this mixer to replace the previous cheap little mixer I had. This one is holding up quite well and if it continues to last nearly as long as my previous one, I will certainly have gotten my moneys worth from it. It is a simple and easy to use mixer with no gizmos, bells or whistles. It has just enough variation on the speeds to be useful for just about anything. Now obviously this is a low-end machine, so you can;t expect more than you should from it. It works, but some of the trade-offs for price include a few things that are not deal breakers fro buying this. First of all, the actual metal mixing parts are somewhat flimsy. They don;t break, but you can tell they are not very thick metal and I'm sure this is one way they keep the cost down. I would also say that when mixing a thick batter, you can feel the motor straining a bit too. So far, it has held up very well and the issues I mentioned have not caused me to regret the purchase. I would recommend this mixer. It does the job and makes no claims to do more than it should.

• Mixing Performance:

Good starter mixer for new chefs

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

If you are new to making your own food, the Rival hand mixer is a good place to start. Very inexpensive and easy to use.

Mixing Performance
      Honestly, there are other stronger hand mixers out there than this one. HOwever, the Rival brand is decent for the job. Don't expect to mix 4 gallons of cookie dough without getting stuck. Instead, if you are making smaller batches and are new to cooking, the 5-speed Rival model will suffice.

Pretty easy to clean. Just pop out the whisks and wash them in the sink. Use a wet cloth to wipe down the mixing unit.

Select your speed and start. How much easier can it get?

The Rival 5-speed seems to fit most hands and has curves in the right places for mixing. The only issue is the power cord. Sometimes it gets in the way.

If you don't force the Rival 5-speed to do more than it can (like bread kneading), this will last a long time. If you try to push it too far, expect it to break early. It took us two mixers to figure this out.

Put Your Money Elsewhere

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

Wasn't very impressed with the mixer, and made a replacement very soon after the purchase.I certainly expected much more from a product baring the Rival name, but I guess all brands have some products that aren't the top of the line.
      On the positive note, this mixer is really cheap sold online and at many different retailers.
      Now, for the cons... I think this is cheaply built and not very durable. The mixers are flimsy, and you really need to choose what you will mix with it.
      There are 5-speeds on the mixer, but the highest is too much, and the lowest just isn't powerful enough.

I can give the mixer credit in this department. as it is very simple and easy to clean. And, it is dishwasher safe so you can toss it in and get the job done in a flash.

No complaints on the design of this mixer.

I didn't wait for the mixer to tear apart on me because I replaced it. However, it seemed very ill put together and like it would need to be replaced rather quickly.

Not for my needs

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

This mixer is very well priced, it just didn't work out for me. The balance and design is wrong for my hand, which made it awkward for me to use, and I seem to have different requirements for mixing capability. Not sure if it was the beaters or the overall design that produced less than smooth mixes, I just wasn't happy with the results, especially with meringues and butter frostings.
      Food also seems to "creep" up the beaters easily while mixing and I found that the holes in the body gunked up as a result, making it a little tricky to clean. There was a funny electrical smell from the unit with heavier mixes like quick breads and I was afraid that it might burn out.

This might be a good choice for someone who only needs it for box mix cakes and other very light mixing tasks. While I didn't keep it very long, it just didn't seem like something that would last long term in my kitchen with my mixing needs.

Reliable

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

On some occasions the cheapest products are often times the most reliable to have on have. I have this model and I have owned this model for a lot of years. Despite having had several different mixers, some cheap, some very expensive over the years, I almost always revery back to old reliable.

Mixing Performance
      It mixes very well, although like the most expensive mixers I have had and currently own, it does not always mix way down at the bottom of the bowl, depending on the bowl you are mixing things in. The benefit of this mixer is you have the flexibility to change bowls at any given time to eliminate this problem.

No issues cleaning this model. I have learned over the years to clean the attachments is warm water, and to use an old toothbrush to clean the area where the motor is, after you wipe it down with a damp cloth.

No problems using this model, very easy to use.

Not much of a design with this model, very simplistic in nature.

It has held up for me for quite some time.

Not the Best Ever

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

I've owned this mixer for about seven years and it still works, although I don't use it very often. I typically only use it to mix up cake batter or frosting which it does just fine. I don't like that it's supposed to have five speeds but they're all the same speed! It's also hard to eject the beaters without accidentally turning the beaters back on since you have to push the speed dial in to get the beaters out. It has a harder time mixing thicker things, the thicker the mixture the more it tends to creep up the beaters so you have to keep an eye to make sure it doesn't get up into the motor. But again, since I usually only mix cake batter, it's usually not an issue. It's kind of hard to get all the batter off the beaters which I think is wasting good batter. Overall, it gets the job done but it's nothing fancy and not a mixer I would recommend in place of a stand mixer like a Kitchenaid or Bosch.

Mother's Day

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Rival 5-Speed Hand Mixer:

I received the Rival 5 Speed Hand Mixer as a Mother's Day gift ( seriously? ) I guess I should be glad that it wasn't the only gift I got! Anyway, I was actually somehow talked into using it to make breakfast for them! I had a similar hand mixer in the past but it was a different name brand. The Rival 5 Speed Hand Mixer is pretty much average in it's functionality and effectiveness. The variability of the speed settings is nice because it allows for easy transitions with different types of recipes or sometimes, the same recipe. For instance, if you are making home made whipped cream, your recipe starts with a slower mixing and then must increase in intensity. This hand mixer works great for making those types of recipes. It also works wonderful for making fluffy home made mashed potatoes. The mixing blades detach for fast and easy cleaning ( or of course, batter eating). The actual cord is not as long as I would like and because of the way my kitchen is designed a longer length would have been very much appreciated. Also, the cord is not detachable which I would have preferred as well. Even though the mixer's cord doesn't detach, it is still quite easy to clean. So far, I have to say I like the way it works.

You get what you pay for