3.4

Cons

Good basic Slow Cooker

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

We received this slow cooker as a wedding gift and love the options its opened up to use in the kitchen. It's a bit bulky in its large oval shape with protruding handles and trailing power cord, but so very worth finding the storage room for.

I love the option of throwing some ingredients into the pot and having dinner waiting for me when I get home from work. I especially love this in the summer when it throws absolutely no heat into the house while it cooks. The heavy ceramic crock goes easily into the base and the lid is a very sturdy glass with a plastic grip. It's a bit of a chore to clean simply because of the weight and size of the crock - however it does clean easily.

There are multiple settings, low and high with four various pre-set time frames that accommodate almost any meal. You can always turn it back on if necessary. Essentially this pot does all the work as it slow cooks your food, locks in moisture and eventually blends your spices and flavors. A must have for people who want homemade food but don't always have time to stand over the stove.

• Cooking Performance:

One of my most-used kitchen appliances

from Owatonna, MN

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

Our Rival slow cooker is one of our most-used kitchen appliances. We use this for dinner at least 3 nights a week. The one-pot meal is what every busy mom is looking for an a slow cooker makes that possible. My biggest complaint is that mine seems to run hotter than our last model so it did take some time getting used to. I love that I can set the timer and go about my day, not needing to worry about getting home in time to turn it on. I love the versatility - I can make roasts, stews, soups, chicken dishes, even lasagna in it. My biggest complaint is that it does not hold as much as I'd like it to. I'll be upgrading to a larger slow cooker soon, but will still keep this for smaller meals as I can't pass up the convenience of it.

• Cooking Performance:

Great crock pot, set it and forget it

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I received this crock pot as a gift a year ago. Have had several ones in the past, but was looking for one with a timer. This one works very well when I am working because it will switch to keep warm after the set time is up, so no dried out burnt food. It has a round shape which sometimes can be an issue if you are making something like porkloin or ribs, but I will make it work. Good product.

• Cooking Performance:

So easy to use and looks good on the counter

from Knoxville, TN

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

This is a fantastic product that works well and is very reliable. I will buy this brand and style as a replacement when the time comes.

Time to Heat
I usually just put the food in, set the dial and walk away so its hard to say if the 'time to heat' is good or bad. The crock pot works wonderfully and my food is always prefect.

Cooking Performance
Cooks evenly and wonderfully. Never too hot to carry to the table. Always looks nice even sitting out on the counter when not in use. The programmable dial ensures that you will get the level of cooking you need for any given meal choice.

The outside of the cooker is easy to wipe down the a wet towel. The inside removeable crock washes well in the dishwasher, and is nice enough looking to serve out of from the table.

The programmable timer turns on and off with the push of a button and has different times settings to choose from depending on your recipe. This is great if you are anticipating a long day = 10 hours of cooking, or if you need to getting the cooking done in as little as 4 hours.

This crock is large enough to cook four to six chicken breasts and potatoes or enough soup for a crowd.

MY ONLY compliant is the handle. The plastic handle is not very durable and broke on me after a few months of usage. However, I drawer pull/ knob makes a great replacement.

Quick weekday dinner helper

from Langhorne, PA

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

We use our crockpot at least once a week to make dinner a breeze. It is so easy to use and has ample space for whatever you want to cook. It is fairly easy to clean, as far as crock pots can be. The only down fall I have noticed it that through years of use, the seal on the lid is not as tight so tiny amounts of liquid and steam can bubble out, which could be dangerous.

• Cooking Performance:

Works best on Keep Warm setting.

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

We chose this one because of the price, which was very reasonable, but I have some buyers’ remorse. I like to use my crock pot often, and should have invested a little more money for a higher quality item. While I like the Keep Warm setting, some of the settings tend to get too hot and I have to check on my food to make sure it does not burn. The handle of the lid came off in the dishwasher after just a few uses. It is best for chili and soups. Does a good job cooking rice and beans, too. It gets too hot to do anything with pasta or dumplings, and is variable on cooking roasts and chicken. However, once it is set on the keep warm setting, it is stable and can keep a nice warm and hearty meal ready all day.

Time to Heat
Sometimes it varies and can get too hot and burn the food.

Cooking Performance
Works best when using the Keep Warm setting.

Easy to clean, no ridges. Handle fell off after some dishwasher uses.

Food Cooks Too Quickly

from Sterling, VA

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I received this slow cooker as a Christmas gift. I used it 5 times and each time I used it, the food always came out over-cooked. I cooked several types of dishes (chili, beef brisket, chicken) and all were cooked on the low setting. The food often stuck to the bottom. Eveidently, there is something seriously wrong with the thermostat. Even on the warm setting, my food boiled. I will be returning this one.