Other Crock Pots & Slow Cookers:

Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker

Pros

Cons

old faithful

I own this Rival 5 quart crockpot and it is an old standby for those busy nights when you are too tired to cook . The Rival name has been around for at least 45 years in making crockpots and it is for good reason - they are reliable and long lasting ! Mine is identical except for the patterned flowers are peach rather than green as shown in this photo .

This model is a nice size for a small family and has a removeable liner that makes cleanup a breeze . There is an enclosed recipe book for lots of ideas on how to make soups, chili , sauces and main meals and even desserts ( which I have yet to try in a crockpot myself ) .

I put in my meat and vegetables and any gravy or sauces before I leave for work - I rarely even par cook anything and set it on high - about eight hours later I may turn it to low after checking to see if carrots or other hard vegetables feel soft enough . I have yet to have a meal that did not come out tender , moist and delicious . Just be sure to completely cover the meat and vegetables with enough water or cooking liquid so it does not boil away and scorch the crockpot liner .

This Rival crockpot is a nice size , has a heavy duty removeable liner which makes cleaning a breeze, and heats food evenly . I pretty much guarantee you will love it for making soups stews , spaghetti and meatballs pot roast and tons of other delicious moist and tender meals with very little prep time and work .

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Received this cooker as a gift about 3 years ago for Christmas. I cook in the crocpot about once a week because it is super convenient. This one cooks hotter than my previous one I had - which somewhat scares me. I already think about the crock pot all day while I am at work afraid it is going to over heat or short out or who knows.. yes, I am a worrier! . The rimless metal edge lid directs condensation right onto the pot rim where it sputters and splatters and eventually over-runs the rim dripping onto the countertop and creating a mini-flood (I have actually put a towel underneath just to catch the runoff). I've looked for a replacement cooker with an all glass lid with interior rim on the lid to direct condensation back into the cooker where it belongs (like the Crock-Pot I had for 10 years that finally bit the dust). Also when cleaned in the dishwasher, water collects under the plastic lid handle and will not evaporate. It leaves water spots and I figure will eventually get kinda gross or discolor. You must partly unscrew the handle to release the water and dry the area under the handle to prevent mold or bacterial growth... If you are really concerned like I am. Eventually this will lead to a stripped plastic socket and an insecure or loose handle, so the lid should be handwashed in my opinion. I haven't noticed that the crock has any kind of coating that expedites cleaning. In any crock, most crusted foods clean easily after an overnight soak - this one is the same, but I would expect some kind of non stick surface these days. I finally discovered the lid from my round Pyrex 3qt covered cassarole fits this cooker exactly and the interior rim on the lid properly directs condensation back into the cooker. I use the Pyrex lid now and have finally made peace with this cooker. It is not the best, but I obviously didn't pay for the best either. I would spend a little extra and get a better one if I had to do it all over again.

old faithful

from MA

• Cooking Performance:

Cooks food faster than expected

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I have had this crock pot for over ten years and it is still going strong. I cannot believe that it still cooks the way it did when I first bought it.

Cooking Performance
Everything that I cook in it comes out juicy and tender. So good. It actually cooks in a shorter amount of time then it says. I put chicken in it and it says to cook for six to eight hours on low and it is usually done in five to six hours.

Super easy to clean. I either throw the ceramic dish in the dishwasher or wash by hand. You should probably scrub it before putting in the dishwasher because sometimes the sauces and gravies will leave a ring around the dish.

Super easy to use. Just add your food in the ceramic dish, put the lid on, and set the heat for cooking.

I'm not a huge fan of the flowery design but as long as it cooks my food good I don't care. It is like a lot of other crock pots you have the ceramic dish that fits inside the heater.

I have had mine for ten years and it still works as well as the day I got it. I'm very impressed at how it still works even after all these years. I use it at least once a week so it gets a lot of use.

• Cooking Performance:

I love it and use it all the time. Mine is an oval shape.

from Toccoa, GA

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I have had my rival crockpot. For several years. I use it at least every other week. It has held up well. The removable inner pot makes for easy cleaning and to store in the fridge.

Time to Heat
I would say that the time to heat for a slow cooker is just fine. I can put something in right away in the morning or even later in the morning and have it done before supper.

Cooking Performance
I have cooked whole chickens, soups, roasts, ribs and stews. I love how big it is. With our family of 4 I can cook enough to put another meal in the freezer after we are done.

The take out pot inside is so easy to clean, I use my stovetop safe scrubber and it gets any hardened food off without scratching the enamel. Once the heating part cools I can just wipe it down.

Wonderful. So easy to use. Sometimes simpler is better because there is less to go wrong.

The take out pot is genius. The oval shape allows it to take up less counter space for a large pot.

I have had this crockpot probably 5 years or more. There are a few scratches on the exterior from storage, the lid and ceramic pot interior look like new and I do use this frequently. We live on one income and so I cook at least 1 meal/day and we rarely eat out.

Turning Knob System Is Not Great

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I owned this Slow Cooker for a few years and it worked great. It cooked great food and I had no problems with it at all. Then, after a few years, the knob you turn to set it broke off. Without the knob, you had no way of knowing if the crock pot was on low or high. I tried to use it a few times and guess by how hot the crock pot felt. However, that never worked. Had the knob been better, I would give this a much higher review. However, with the knob falling off, I was forced to buy a new slow cooker much sooner than I wanted. Therefore, I would not recommend this product.

Time to Heat
It worked great when it came to heating up. It heated quickly and efficiently.

Cooking Performance
My food always tasted excellent. It was never dried out or over cooked.

It needs buttons to push to set it rather than a knob you turn.

This is where the problem comes in. The knob fell off within a few years of owning. I was not happy about that. I could not use it without the knob.

Still Working Great!

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I received the Rival Slow Cooker as a wedding gift over seven years ago. I use it two to three times a month and never had any problems with it! After seven years it is starting to show hairline cracks in the ceramic bowl, but I'm not worried about it falling apart any time soon. I like how evenly it cooks and it seems to cook things fairly quickly. It doesn't heat up very fast but once it's up to temperature it cooks just fine. I don't think there's much difference between the "low" and "warm" temperature settings, I typically just use the "high" setting and it works great for any meal! I've used this crock-pot for all sorts of recipes and they've all turned out great; soups, stews, roasts, potatoes, overnight recipes. It is also a good size for a larger family. With our family of four we can fill it up and have enough for 3-4 meals depending on the recipe. It works great for larger families and gatherings. At times it would be nice to have an oval shape cooker that would be easier to fit roasts into, but for the most part the circle shape works okay.

very reliable

from Coronado, CA

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I love my rival 5 quart crock pot. I've used other brands and a few have actually stopped working to my dismay during cooking. However this rival brand slow cooker has lasted me many many years with no problems at all. I use it for roast, corned beef, stews, greens, you name it even ribs. It cooks evenly and you have the option to cook on high or low. It has a nice size so it doesn't take much counter space and can be stored near basic pots and pans. It has a nice homely look and makes a nice sized meal for an average sized family or just 1 to 2 people. You simply plug it in and forget it for a few hours...when you get back around to it, you have a nice delicious slow cooked meal.

Time to Heat
Heats right up, no need to stand around and make sure its on. It takes less than 3 minutes to feel warm.

Awesome cooking, very evenly

Really easy to clean with soap and water by hand.

Plug it in, set it high or low and that's it.

Nice home cooking design, very home sweet home look

Very durable, have had mine for years wih no cracks or issues

• Cooking Performance:

This was my replacement after the first Rival brand died

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I used my first Rival crock pot to death (well, death by being washed by a child and accidentally submerged) and replaced it with another. I liked this one even better and purposefully bought one with the removable crock.

Time to Heat
The unit heats quickly and evenly.

Cooking Performance
I have never had any complaints about anything that comes out of the crockpot, soups and stews to roasts and baked beans, this makes a hectic life in a hectic and large household one step simpler by not having to worry about what's for supper!

SO much easier to clean with the removable crock, hot soapy water and a scrubbie for those tough burnt on edges and a quick wipe with a damp rag on the outside unit are all it takes to keep this looking good.

Crockpot meals are easy ways to prepare hot nutritious meals with minimal work, there is nothing complicated about this, just put all the stuff in, set it and forget it until suppertime.

My Rival crock pots have stood up to many many years of heavy useage and I have no complaints at all.

Wonderful crockpot!

from Phoenix,Az

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

This really is a great crockpot and will help any cook make great slow cooked meals. The price is perfect because it is not expensive. It heats up fairly quick and does a fantastic job cooking a good family meal.

Time to Heat
The heating time is pretty fast so you don't have to wait a long time for it to start cooking your delicious meals. .

Cooking Performance
The cooking performance is wonderful! You can cook so many different types of food,such as meats,vegetables,chili,stews, and other tasty dishes.It makes a very nice roast with carrots,potatoes, and onions. It is nice to just put the food in the crockpot and let is cook for hours and then it will be so nice and tender.

It is pretty easy to clean. I found that by letting it soak for a while with hot soapy water and then you can rinse it out and just wipe the outside and then you will be ready for the next time you want to use it.

It is very easy to use. Just put your food in it and stir occasionally if you want to check it.

The design is very nice and it looks great as an addition to your kitchen.

It is very durable and long lasting,it will last for years without any problems.

Long Lasting CrockPot

from MI

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I received this CrockPot as a wedding shower gift nearly six years ago and it is still going strong. I use it all the time, more often in the fall and winter, but it gets a lot of use and shows no signs of wear. It has the Low, High and Warm setting, which I really like, and makes cooking a breeze. As a stay at home mom to two small children, Crock Pot/slow-cooker cooking is the way to go. I love being able to prep my meals, throw everything in the crock pot, walk away and know dinner will be done later on without having to worry. I have this 5 quart and I also have a larger 7 quart - both of which are frequently used. I think the 5 quart is a little more manageable, even for doubled recipes, as sometimes the 7 quart size can seem a little too large. I use this crock pot to make everything from soups, stews, roasts, candied almonds, pasta dishes...the list could go on. And using the crock pot for cooking always makes your house smell amazing all day long. You really just can't go wrong with a crock pot!

It is hot instantly.

The lid and crock are dishwasher safe - makes cleanup very easy.

My favorite crock pot

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Rival 5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I have to say in all honesty that my Rival 5-Quart Slow cooker is my favorite one that I own, and I own three different ones!! First off this is an older one but in my opinion the best. This one does not have a whole lot of fancy features like the newer models, but this model really gets hot unlike my newer ones. This crock pot is the best at making all sorts of things like Crock pot pot roast, chicken dishes, side dishes, soups, and desserts and more. This is the only one I own that gets really HOT. I can have soups boiling in this slow cooker while my other ones just get them to a simmer. If I am in a hurry this one can cook my foods twice as fast as the other ones that I own. One thing I think contributes to this higher temperature is the fact that the lid on this particular crock pot really seals itself to the actual crock pot so no heat is lost during the cooking process. All in all this one is best hands down even though I own two newer ones, this one is most always my go to!