View more crock pots slow cookers

Other Crock Pots & Slow Cookers:
Rival
SCR450
Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker

Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker

Pros

Cons

The Rival 4.5 qt crock pot helps ensure that you eat well always

I have to say that I am very happy with the performance of my new Rival 4.5 quart Slow Cooker. I live a life that tends to be full of multiple obligations happening at various times of the day which sometimes prevents me from eating a fully balanced meal. I enjoy sitting down to dinner at the end of the day and unwinding. This product allows me to prepare a full meal in the morning and set it to cook all day. When I come home after allowing my meal to slow cook all day, my apartment smells heavenly. This Slow Cooker has 2 levels that you may set it at. There is the low setting that allows you to simmer a roast over a longperiod of time which allows the flavors to infuse with the meat. The meat just falls apart and is ridiculously tender. I personally use the high setting to start the cooking off so that it reaches a proper temperature. That usually is complete within 30 mins to 1 hour. Then the temp can be reduced to the low setting and left alone. Of course, by "left alone" I mean that occasional checking of the situation is suggested to make sure that it is heating properly and the area is preventatively safe from fire. I made chili for my first meal and the onions, chili powder, garlic, and sauce all blended together beautifully after being on low heat for about 7 hours. The stoneware insert is very easy to clean but it does have a little bit of weight to it. The weight combined with soapy hands can certainly result in a dangerous situation so...please be careful. Everything but the base unit IS dishwasher safe which eliminates a lot of hassle. There is also a clear glass lid that allows you to view your meal without lifting the lid and letting the heat out. This product is an all-around benefit to my life and I would recommend it to anyone that asked.

It's okay but I'd like to get one with more temperature controls

When we bought our home three years ago, my aunt gave us the *Rival 4.5 Quart Slow Cooker* as a housewarming gift.  I had never used one before and my mother never used one when I was growing up so it sat down in the basement for almost a year before I decided to try it out.  I think my first attempt was Italian-style sausage, peppers, and onions.  It turned out well so I branched out and now consider it an absolute staple for fall and winter cooking.

This is a very simple slow cooker with just three settings: off, low, and high.  The high setting is supposed to cook meals in 6-8 hours while the low setting takes something closer to 10 or 12 hours.  Unfortunately the "high" seems to be too hot while the "low" is too cool to get dinner cooked in time for dinner.  I've wished that this product had a "medium" setting dozens of times.  A "warm" option would also be helpful for when the meal is finished but you aren't quite ready for dinner.  What I usually do is use the "high" setting while I'm at work (from 7am until 2pm) and then turn the slow cooker down to "low".  We eat dinner between 7 and 8 so this little adjustment works for us and results in fully-cooked but not over done dinners.

You are limited only by your imagination in what you can cook with your *Rival 4.5 Quart Slow Cooker*.  I use it for sausage/peppers/onions, pot roast, bolognese sauce, chicken stew, pulled pork, meatballs, and even once for macaroni and cheese.  I've read about people making apple pie and such in their crock pots but I haven't gotten that adventurous yet.

It's very easy to clean this slow cooker after use.  Both the crock and the lid are dishwasher safe so I usually just throw them in with the rest of the dirty dishes.  The heating element cannot go in the dishwasher and is easily cleaned with a warm, soapy sponge.

Despite the fact that the temperature controls could use some improvement, I do like this slow cooker and will continue to use it 1-2 times a week this winter.  I hope to get a larger one with some more advanced settings in the future but am happy enough to use my *Rival 4.5 Quart Slow Cooker* in the mean time.

Gorgeous

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I loved this crock pot the moment I set eyes on it.

Time to Heat
The crock poet got warm to hot pretty quick.

Cooking Performance
The cooking works great because of the three settings. There is low, hot, and warm.

The cleaning is great, it is all dishwasher safe and it literally took me three minutes to wash it.

It is extremely easy to cook with this appliance. Just throw your ingredients into the pot, and do your daily routine .

My design was whitewash black spiral flowers, it was simply beautiful.

This is a great product to buy if you are living with a spouse or parent. It makes the food tender and very flavorful, not only that but it is good and sometimes better when you eat the left overs. The cleaning was easy and took around three minut and it is dishwasher safe as well. The design is beautiful and very decorative as well. You can cook roast, hamburger stew, spaghetti, chicken dumplings along with other crowd pleasers. I w would definitely recommend this appliance to those who like great reliable crock pots with a little bit of zing.

• Time to Heat:
  • Cooking Performance:

This is an easy way to cook and clean-up is relatively easy too.

from Elkridge, MD

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I am a busy wife and mother and when I can find easier ways of preparing meals I love it.  That is why I love The Rival stoneware crockpot.  I love using a slow cooker in general because of the convienence of no fuss cooking. But, I especially love the Rival stoneware crockpot because of the removable pot. If you can remember the original crockpots they were good but, they were not necessarily easy to travel with if you were taking a dish to a holiday party or event.  This Rival stoneware crockpot solves that problem and It also makes so much easy to clean and even to store leftovers in.  It's a great upgrade from the original crockpots from years ago.  I also love the cooking settings of low, medium and warm.  It's the ultimate set it and forget it cooking.  There is only one additional setting I would love on this cooker and that is an automatic timer to turn off when done.  Other than that one tiny thing, I highly recommend The Rival stoneware crockpot for busy moms or anyone looking for easy ways to cook.

We use this all the time!

from 85205610

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I have had this Rival slow cooker for years. It has saved me lots of time and money over the years. We are a family of five- and although we could probably use a bigger one soon- this does make enough food to feed the whole family.

We especially love using it in the fall and winter. We make beef stew, different soups, meat sauce for pasta, pot roast and different chicken dishes in this slow cooker. I have evn made a ham in this-- and it was amazing! I love being able to fill it in the morning- and by dinner time I have a home cooked meal with little effort on my part. Meat cooks up so tender in this slow cooker- and is rarely dry. The secret is definitely lots of liquid. I do use it in the summer occasionally so I dont have to heat up my kitchen.

The lid does rattle ;a little bit;due to condensation- but the handle on my lid has never broken as some other reviewers have stated. My knob on the front of the crock pot did break- but there is enough of a knob left that I can still use this appliance. I do cook most things on high and then switch it to low to keep the food warm. I like that the ceramic crock comes out- makes clean up pretty easy. This has lasted us quite awhile- and when this finally does stop working I would definitley purchase another Rival slow cooker.

• Time to Heat:
  • Cooking Performance:

It is truly a Godsend

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I love,love, love this slow cooker/ crockpot. The heating is even and consistant. I only wish it came with an elastic to secure the lid when traveling - but that is nothing that can't be fixed with a rubber band. I have been using this for almost three years and it still heats the same. I have a vegitarian and a two meat eaters ( in my home )   and they have all been sastified with the numerous bean, soups, greens, chicken, meatballs, deserts and othe recipes that I have made in the Rival crockpot. I was so excited that my mother gave me this as a christmas gift in 2008 (it was the best one she ever gave) and it has kept me smiling ever since.My crockpot is in Red and the color is still srong as it was in the begining and it is so sturdy. All I can say is that I have gotten some use and it has definatly lasted the whole time and as a matter a fact I will be using it for new years so even though it is not the most expensive it is worth every penny.

Rival 4 quart crock pot slow cooker

from Rural Retreat, VA

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I love my Rival 4 quart crock pot. As a busy mom to four children I need and use my crock pot frequently. My children are involved in many after school activities and I don't always have time to stand over a stove cooking. Fast food is an option, but gets expensive and tiresome. With the crock pot I can start my meal before the children get home and have time to feed them before we are out the door. It's so easy to prepare easy and tasy meals this way. Some of my favorites are vegetarian chili, rice stuffed green peppers, apple butter and marinated mushrooms. My meat eating children like ribs, chicken, soups, Italian beef and pork roast. We all like cooked apples, cobbler, tapioca pudding and dump cake. These are just a few of the easy meals you can make with a slow cooker. The Rival has a removable crock that cleans easily. It comes with a glass lid. This lets you check you your food without losing heat by lifting it. You can also place the crock bowl directly in the refridgerator. It comes with a handy strap to hold the lid down to prevent spills. This is just the right size for me and my children. I highly recommend this crock to make meal time less stressful.

Basic crock pot

from Asheville, NC

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

This is my first crock pot and I have owned it for about three years.  I like the way it cooks.  The low and high setting both work well and I love the convenience of the crock pot.  I would recommend that everyone have a crock pot especially if you are too busy to cook.  However I would not recommend this particular crock pot only because in my opinion it is too small.  One day soon I will have to invest in a larger crock pot especially if our family gets any larger.  I like to have a lot of leftovers from my crock pot meals.  Another feature that would be nice on a crock pot is the ability to program when it cooks high and when it cooks on low.  I know there are some that do this and I feel this would be very helpful.  Overall this is a great but very basic crock pot and works well for what it is.  I would prefer an upgraded one personally, but there is nothing wrong per se with this one.

love crock pots!

from Lehi, UT

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

After 15 years of heavy use, I had to replace my old crockpot.  I got this one.  I'm pretty happy with it in general.  It cooks hotter than my old one, so I've had to refigure my cooking times when using it.  I like the black color, and so far I've been able to keep it looking clean.  The stainless steel ones always look dirty.   I really like that I can take the cooking part out and put it in the dishwasher.  Sometimes I have to wash it twice.  Crockpots are a must have, it's so nice to put dinner in in the morning and have it ready when you're tired towards dinner time.  It would be nice to have a timer on it, so you could leave it longer and have it switch to "warm" for you.  But that probably shouldn't be expected on a model of this price range.  My last crockpot was a "Rival" brand as well, so I am hoping that I can get many years of use out of this one too.  In fact my last one was still working, but it was getting harder and harder to clean.  I still use it at times I need two.

Rival slow cooker not always so slow

from Lafayette, LA

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I have owned several slow cookers and am a total advocate of them. The Rival SCR450-B 4.5 quart is my most recent purchase. I bought it as an addition to my other slow cooker. I've found that sometimes I need more than one at the time.

It was priced reasonably compared to similar models. It cooks well...sometimes a little too well. I've found that it cooks a little hotter and faster than other slow cookers. While this can work to your advantage if cooking a tough cut of meat, it can ruin a pasta dish or dessert or a tender piece of meat can dry out. I usually start this particular model out of high but turn it to low after a couple of hours. This could be unique to my pot but I can only compare it to other brands I own.

It cleans up well. I like the solid black color. It works well at the table when taking the crock out as a serving piece. I think it would make a great wedding gift, birthday or Christmas gift to a person who likes slow cookers. I've found some people totally opposed to slow cooking and some who do not like the idea of things cooking while they're not at home.

The Rival 4.5 qt crock pot helps ensure that you eat well always

from Lakeside, CA

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I love my Rival Crock Pot!

from Allegan, MI

Comments about Rival 4.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I love my Rival Crock Pot. I use it every week. It is so easy to put food in, and walk away. I find that sometimes I get condensation build up and it bubbles, making the lid rattle a little.  I've had my Rival Crock Pot for 6 years now, and it still works great. The only problem I've had is the handle on the lid broke off, but it snaps back onto the screw. I have to be careful when handleing the lid, but it doesn't affect its use at all. It is a great size for our family of 4 (2 are toddlers), but some larger roasts are difficult to fit in it.  I will be getting a bigger Rival Crock Pot as the kids get older and start eating more, I'm sure!It is easy to clean, and easy to use. I recommend a crock pot for everyone!!