4.1

Cons

Excellent Skillet for a Tight Budget

from St. Louis, MO

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

I was given this skillet as a wedding present over five years ago and it is still with us. It is not my most used piece of kitchen equipment, but I do utilize it occasionally and, for our family of three, I think it is a great piece to have on hand. It comes in most handy for stir frys.

Doesn't Stick
This skillet has a non-stick surface which has held up well over time. Of course, I am extremely careful to use only wood or plastic utensils in it. With the usual amount of care I think that the non-stick surface is not only quite good, but stands up well to normal use.

Heat Distribution
In this area, the skillet shows its price. It is very obvious that the hot spots are right where the element runs around the bottom of the pan. In fact, when you have liquids in the skillet it will boil in a square pattern. So the pan would not be good for cooking skillet biscuits or something like that, as the heat distribution is not great. However, for stir fry and chili this is not so much of a problem.

Ease of Handling
The side handles are good and keep heat from burning you while manipulating food in the pan. The lid handle, however, tends to get a bit hot.

The non-stick surface, as well as the removable cord, makes this skillet a breeze to clean.

As I mentioned, the pan is probably not thick enough, ergo the weird heat distribution. However, for the price, I think this is the best you can expect. For what it is, the design is satisfactory.

Seems to be holding up well to the amount that I use it.

Best wedding gift!

from Henderson, NV

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

We received this skillet as a wedding gift and joke that it was one of the best things we received! It doesn't look that fancy or anything but we have used it so much! We live in Las Vegas and in the summer I hate to turn on the oven or the gas stove, it is just too hot! This is a perfect alternative. I also love it when my stove is full of other pots and I just need one more cooking surface. It is really durable, I have dropped the lid a few times with no problem. The only thing I struggle with is the heat. It distributes heat very evenly but I never know how hot (300 or 200 degrees?) to let it get to cook some things. I think it would make more sense to set it up like a stove, low, med, high, with some variation.

Doesn't Stick
I am careful to use plastic spatulas, but I have not ever had a sticking problem.

Great! I love that you can actually submerge the whole thing in water!

nice sized skillet

from Tallahassee, FL

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

this is a good, nice sized skillet for almost anyone to use

Doesn't Stick
i haven't had any real problems with foods sticking unless i leave them on too long without stirring

Heat Distribution
all the food that you cook in this skillet seems to come out evenly cooked all around

Ease of Handling
this is a very easy unit to use. it isn't too heavy or bulky making it easy to move around and use

easy to clean! not too much to do besides get the inside of the skillet clean, then it goes back into it's storage place

love the design, its modern looking and isn't too big or bulky

i've had mine for a little over a year now and use it on a regular basis. i haven't noticed any issues with wear and tear and everything still works just fine.

Perfect for smaller families

from Piketon, OH

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

Since there are only two of us in the house, we did not want a giant skillet that took up a lot of space. So, we got the Rival 12 inch skillet and we love it! It makes cooking a snap! It makes great burgers, chicken, even sloppy joes come out perfect in it and do not stick at all! I love the glass lid so iIcan see the food as it cooks instead of removing the lid every few minutes. It is very easy to clean inside and out which is always a plus!When this one wears out, we will definitely be buying another one because it absolutely suits our needs!

Electric skillet is handy to have in the kitchen!!

from SmallTown, TX

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

This is a rather large electric skillet. It Is great to have around when cooking for lots of guests. It is a non-stick skillet and food really does not stick to it. It has a tempered glass lid. It is great to be able to view the progress of your meal without taking the lid off. The electric probe that fits into the skillet is removable. This is a great feature, because it is easier to wash. The lid is dishwasher safe and I have utilized that feature. I would not recommend placing the skillet in the dishwasher however.

The skillet is great for frying foods such as chicken or beef. Each portion is uniformly cooked. There are no hot spots in various areas of the skillet.

Rival makes great products. I have several of their kitchen appliances, including their slow cooker. They are not only good products, they are fairly economical as well. They can be purchased at many retailers or online. I highly recommend this electric skillet as well as the Rival brand.

DOES ITS JOB WELL

from Winter Haven, FL

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

I love this electric skillet. I had bought a smaller skillet from amazon and had to send it back and bought this one from walmart to replace it. The price is right, food does not stick whether you use oil or not and i love that the temperature knob is adjustable. i have nothing bad to say about this product.

Easy to Use

from Addison, NY

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

My rival electri skillet is two years old and still going strong. I do not know what we would do without it. It is very durable and easy to clean, the whole product goes right in the sink, minus the power cord. It had a handle on both sides, with built in spoon rests. The knob on the lid is really raised up so you don't have to burn your hand on the glass lide. The pan is non stick, I have had no problem with food sticking to it as long as i've had it. I have also used many types of utensils on the pan, plastic, wood, metal, and it has not flaked at all. The temperature setting seem to be right on as with the manual tell me for cooking certain products.And I like that it cooks evenly throught the food. There is a vent hole in the lid of the product to let out mositure. The manual comes with temp settings and some recipes. I have been very impressed with the skillet, I have cooked everything from pancakes to ground beef and it all turns out for nicely!! The price to value is very good.

The Rival Skillet is versatile and very useful.

from Dubuque, IA

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

The Rival Electric Skillet is a great product and a very useful tool in the kitchen.  The best part about this skillet is that you can cook a whole meal at a time all in one skillet and you don't need three or four different pans to cook everything.  There are also adjustable temperature settings so you can adjust the temperature correctly for whatever you are cooking.  The non-stick skillet portion of the product is very easy to clean, all that you need to do is use a wash rag with warm soapy water and it cleans right up, especially if the skillet is still slightly warm.  One downside of this product is that the cord is too short for my kitchen and where I want to use the skillet at.  I always seem to have to move something to be able to plug it in, which can be annoying when you are in a hurry and you want to get things going quickly.  Overall, this is a good product and very usefuly when you want to cook a meal all in one place and in a reasonable amount of time.

This Rival Electric Skillet is not good for rice.

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Comments about Rival 12" Electric Square Skillet with Glass Lid:

I like to make a lot of one dish meals and bought this Rival electric skillet.  When I unpacked the box, I found that it had a glass lid, which I do like that I can see what's going on, but I also found that there was a vent hole through the glass.  Since many of my dishes include using rice, the vent prevents me making accurate measurements of how much liquid to add to make the rice come out right.  Too little won't cook the rice all the way and too much makes it soupy.  By venting the steam, liquid escapes.

If you plan to use it with rice recipes, I recommend you make sure you buy a model that has the metal lid that has a vent you can open or close.

The second thing about it that I didn't like is the circular heating unit.  You don't get even heating and have to pay more attention to moving the contents around for more even heating.

Zhizara