3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

• Brew Performance:

The Rival coffee maker is a good coffeemaker for the value.

My husband wanted a larger coffee maker then the 4-cup one we had, so as a Valentine's day gift, I thought about purchasing him a coffee maker.  I started checking around in sales papers and online for at least a 12-cup coffee maker.  After checking out the various sales, I started shopping around for a coffee maker.  As it would happen, I was in Walmart's one day to pick up some other items and they happened to have coffee makers on sale!  Imagine my surprise.  Not only was it Valentine's Day that particular day, but the very gift I wanted for my husband was on sale!  After looking over several models and prices, I chose the Rival 12-cup coffee maker.  It has a very clean and simple design and the price was right.  I purchased it and the next day I made the first pot of coffee.  It does require paper filters, but the coffee holder is easy to use.  It has a large water tank on the back and it heats the water quickly.  The coffee also brews quickly and it is kept hot by the warmer.  My husband was particularly please with that because he'll drink several cups over the course of the morning and he doesn't have to reheat the coffee in the microwave.  All-in-all, the Rival 12-cup coffeemaker is a good product for the value.

Don't buy the Rival 12-cup HCO8104 coffee maker!

For health reasons, I had to give up caffeine.  I bought the Rival 12-cup coffee maker for myself, so that my husband could still have his caffeine loaded coffee.  I was excited to have my first cup of coffee from my new coffee maker.  It was a real disappointment and the coffee was not as hot as I like mine.  I tried several different brands of coffee before I finally realized the coffee maker was the problem, not the coffee.

The problem seems to be that the maker does not get the water hot enough to actually brew the coffee as it should.  Maybe I should have taken it back to the store, but it took me so long to figure out what the problem was that it was too late to take it back.

So now I make my coffee in hubby's coffee maker, then pour it into the pot of my Rival so that he can make his coffee in his maker, also.  Other than using the pot to put my coffee in, I don't use the maker.  You should not have to put a fresh cup of coffee in the microwave to make it hot enough to drink.

Cheap, but what else would you expect

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

I bought the Rival coffee maker several years ago at Walmart. I was just starting to drink coffee and wanted to buy a cheap coffee maker before committing to buying a more expensive coffee maker.

This coffee maker was the cheapest I could find. It is very lightweight and has a plastic carafe. It feels and looks cheap, but I figured that going in by the extremely cheap price. It uses standard size coffee filters.

I'm not very picky about my coffee, but I don't feel like it gets quite hot enough with this coffee maker. I bought a Keurig a few months after buying this coffee maker and didn't use it for several years. Recently I decided to go back to using a regular coffee maker since the K-cups are so expensive. It still worked great even after being stored for a couple of years. I accidentally broke the carafe when washing dishes. I dropped it into the water and it cracked. I didn't drop it from very high. I was unable to find a replacement carafe which made the entire coffee maker useless.

I would not recommend this coffee maker. There are other lower end brands that are better in my opinion. I did not like that the carafe is not replaceable. It also is not programmable.

• Brew Performance:

You get what you pay for!

from Stoughton, Wi

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

I have purchased many different brands of coffoe makers through the years and the Rival brand is one of the cheapest on the market. It initially worked fine but quickly became very slow to brew and I became very frustrated with its overall performance.

Brew Performance
In general, I like a coffoe maker that brews slowly because it tends to produce much stronger coffoe which is what I prefer. However with the Rival coffoe maker I found that it was so extremely slow and often got clogged up very easily.

The Rival coffoe maker is not very easy to clean. I usually use a water and vinegar mixture to clean my coffoe makers which generally works well. However, I found that even after running the vinegar mixture through the machine several times, it still brewed extremely slowly!

The Rival coffoe maker is a very simple machine to operate and easy to use.

I like the general design of this coffoe maker. It is easy to put the coffoe filter into the machine and the controls on the Rival are very functional. This is a practical coffoe maker when you look at how reasonably priced it is.

I am not overly impressed with the Rival coffoe maker. It was a satisfactory coffoe maker for a short time in our house but it quickly became one of my least favorites.

• Brew Performance:

This coffeemaker is inexpensive, but not that impressive.

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

The coffeemaker is inexpensive, but not that impressive. Every time I use it, I think it is going to fall apart.

Brew Performance
The coffeemaker brews adequate coffee. It make take a little longer than other coffee makers I have used.

It is difficult to get the coffeemaker lid off, so it can be placed in the dishwasher. The rest of the coffeemaker is fairly easy to clean. I usually wipe it down with a damp cloth.

The coffeemaker leaks water everywhere when you are trying to fill the coffeemaker. Other than that, it is as simple as pushing the "on" button. One thing I wish it had was a sensor so that coffee would not come out unless you have the pot in place. Having to wait for it to finish brewing can be frustrating.

The design is typical of most coffeemakers. It is not sleek.

Most of the coffeemaker is made of cheap plastic. It does not look like it will hold up very long over time.

Decent basic unit

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

My partner loves coffee and often I make it for him. He and I have different things that we appreciate and also dislike about this coffee maker. I find the grounds container difficult to remove. A couple of times I have popped it out but it was difficult and I spilled wet used grounds all over myself, the counter, and the floor. Other than that I like how easy it is to clean on the outside but I dislike how difficult it is to clean on the inside, but that is a common complaint I have for coffeemakers. I like its simplicity and ease of use. I like that there's only one switch that just goes on and off. I just wish it would have also an auto off feature. When my partner makes himself a pot of coffee and goes to work and accidentally leaves it on it makes the house smell like burnt coffee when he gets home. The coffee always tastes fine. All in all we're satisfied with it. But it's not a luxury item.

• Brew Performance:

There's a reason the price is so low!

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

This does brew your coffee quickly, but the basket is not always easy to 'lock' into place, so if you aren't careful, you end up with coffee or hot water splashing out because it's not on correctly.
It's even worse when you remove it, you must push down before you pull out and if it 'catches' on the lock, it's very easy to drop or have the grounds fly out making a mess everywhere!
For casual coffee or tea brewers, this may be a product that helps the budget, and won't be too aggravating. For heavy drinkers, this is just annoying to deal with constantly.
A family member is in a wheelchair, and having to reach up to the basket, it's extremely difficult to remove or to snap into place. This also applies if you have your coffeemaker pushed back on the counter and have to reach for it.
I've had my pot for a few months and the hot plate doesn't keep my coffee as hot as it did when it was new, especially after a few pots have been made during the day.
I have extremely hard water, and most coffeemakers are ruined fairly quickly, even though I clean them regularly with vinegar. This one does clean up easily and doesn't retain the vinegar taste after running clear water through it like a lot of coffeemakers do.

Brews quickly.

• Brew Performance:

Great coffeemaker for the price!

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

A simple basic coffeemaker and inexpensive.

Brew Performance
This coffeemaker brews pretty quickly. You can remove the pot WHILE brewing, and it will pause brewing while the pot is gone. (No mess!) As soon as you return the pot, brewing continues.

Easy to clean. It has a flip-up lid on top for the water reservoir. It has a pull-out compartment on the front that holds the coffee and filter.

Super easy to use. Put a filter and coffee grounds into the machine... then pour water into the reservoir... then turn "on". It immediately begins to brew. (Keep in mind though that you can't set this up to start all by itself. No pre-setting.) This is a basic machine that you have to manually turn on to use.

The only thing I would change about this machine is the location of the power button. It is on the right side of the machine (and it lights up with a red light when the power is on.) I would much rather have it on the front of the machine. (Where it would be easier to see at a glance.)

I've had no problems with mine. It's a good little machine and I got it cheap. :-)

• Brew Performance:

A good, solid basic coffee pot for everyday use.

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

I have had this coffee maker for about 3 years now and it still works as good as the day I got it. It stays nice and warm overnight when I have forgotten to turn it off. The next morning I expected to have burnt tasting coffee but it wasn't it still tasted fresh. If you want a coffee maker without a lot of fluff that will last, this is the one for you. The only part I am not too happy with is that water and coffee will sometimes spill out of the sides while pouring.

Brew Performance
Brews quick and does not need to be watched

If you have just emptied the pot and going to start another you can just rinse the parts out and go.

This pot is a great set and walk away. I will often set it up and started beforing going to take a shower it is ready to pour when I come out.

The only design flaw is one I have found in several and that is that at times liquid will spill down the side while pouring if the pot is full.

On year 3 and counting and it shows no signs of slowing down, it still stays hot for a long time and the pot is not dark nor does it have a large build up with hand washing only. With only wiping down the outside the machine still looks like it did when I took it from the box. I live at teh beach with very hard water, but the machine has never clogged or had a big build up in the well. This is a machine that is still going strong and when it does finally go I will be sure to purchase another.

Basic No Frills Coffee Pot Get What you Pay for

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

On Christmas morning I woke up to my old coffee pot broken. I knew I was having guests and needed to get one and found one at the food market. This Rival Coffee Maker was the one that they had to offer. The price was cheap enough and was about 20.00 plus tax. It is okay for a coffee maker but does not seem durable and I do not think that it will last long at all. It is very light and flimsy. It takes paper filters which I do not like . on the box it said reusable filter basket so I assumed it had its own filter but it did not, so I had to go out to the store again It does brew quickly and is very easy to use. Clean up is as easy as any other coffee maker I have had. It has absolutely no frills. The only button it has is an on and off button so if you don't remember to turn it off, it will be on all day. No set it and forget it buttons or knobs, very basic and very plain , It will do if you need a cheap coffee maker but for a pot that will last a long time, this is not the one..

good for the money

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

overall good product for the money. the only thing with the white is it shows up more of the coffee stains and such and has to be wiped down more. It does keep it warm, but seems like the lip for the carafe could be different as it spills even if going slow. Would definitely recommend this.

• Brew Performance:

Great product for a great price!

Comments about Rival 12-Cup Coffeemaker:

I have owned two of these over the last fifteen years. I just bought my second one just last week. The one that I own does not have a set it and forget it feature, but that is the only thing that I would change about it. It makes the perfect pot of coffee each and every time! And it brews very quickly also. It takes approximately five minutes from start to finish. Something that I really love about this coffee maker is the fact that it really keeps your coffee hot! I never have to worry about my second or even my third cup needing to be reheated after sitting in the coffee pot. Then temperature stays the same as it is righ after brewing, unlike many other brands that I have tried over the years, it isnverybeasy to use. Simply put in your filter, measure the correct amount of your favorite ground coffee, pour in the desired number of cups you wish to make, with the very easy to read measurements on the side of the pot as well as the side of the coffee maker itself, click the on button, and within five minutes, you have the perfect pot of coffee!