Other Rice Cookers & Steamers:
Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer

Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer

Pros

Cons

Rice comes out perfect and fluffy almost every time!

I decided to get a rice cooker, as I had problems cooking rice. It either came out too sticky, or undercooked, rarely could I get it just right. With the rival rice cooker it comes out perfect almost every time. There are only a few problems with the cooker that I can tell, and this is why I rated it a seven total. First, it seems to take forever to cook rice, at least over an hour. When I cook it on the stove, it usually was done between forty to fifty minutes. Next, it seems this makes a little mess when cooking. If you fill it up to cook more rice, it seems to overflow with sticky rice water. I go by the directions, and it still overfills. I think the designers could have made it a little bigger so it didn't do this.

Cooks rice almost perfect every time.

Really easy to clean. The only problem is that when it boils over, it leaves a sticky mess on the sides of the rice cooker.

Really easy to use, you just fill it up to the lines and put the rice in. Anyone could cook with it that can read the directions.

Very durable, as I've owned this rice cooker for well over a year now.

The designers need to do something about the fact some of the water boils over when cooking large batches of rice. I go by the directions exactly and it still overflows. If it wasn't for this it would be almost perfect. Even with this drawback I would still rather use it than cooking on the stove, as it cooks rice almost perfect.

Rival rice cooker makes very hard rice

My house go through 6 cups of cooked rice every day. So for us, the rice cooker is very important. I tried this Rival 10-cup Rice cooker and very disappointed. The rice is not evenly cooked, the rice on the bottom turnd hard and sometimes burned, the top part is softer. With the regular long grain rice, this is not a big deal. But we used this Japanese round grain rice, and the difference is too abvious. It taste more like ruined rice. Overall, the whole pot of rice turned out too dry, lost the moist in the rice. If I add more water, it then turned out too wet. Just can't get it perfect. I switched to a more expensive brand (zojirushi), then the rice turned out perfect!

I think for the heavy rice eater, this is not a good choice. For the ocassional rice eater, who is not picky at how their rice turned out, this is a fine choice. Plus, when you cooke 3 cups or 10 cups of rice, the rice came out differently. Sigh~ I won't use it for my meal.

Rice comes out perfect and fluffy almost every time!

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

Cooks rice almost perfect every time.

Very durable, as I've owned this rice cooker for well over a year now.

I love this little guy

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

If you want just a basic rice cooker then this small rival is just for you. I got mine at Wall-Mart and love it. It is easy to use. Add your water, rice, plug it in, then hit the cook button. It is really that easy. Also, it cooks rice really fast. I love how well it works. Also it has a removable bowl that you can take out so that you can place it on the table and serve out of it. It comes with a serving spoon as well. When it comes time for cleaning it is no problem. The bowl is made out of that non-stick surface so there is no scrubbing. I just let mine sit in hot water for a few minutes and everything comes right off. It is small so it is easy to store. You can even store our leftovers in the bowl if you don't want to dirty up more dishes. It is perfect for a two person household. Also can be used to steam vegetables.

Works great.

Extremely easy.

No hassle

Very durable

Small and compact. easy to store. Easy to cook with.

Good little rice cooker

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

Great price at wally world. Kinda small but compact equals less counter space needed. I use mine alot. not always for rice, i also cook ramen in it and canned soup(ravioli, chicken noodle, vegetable soup, Dino bites, spaghetti-o's). its really a multi-tasker and compact, a little flimsy but not really enough to notice. The one thing i'm not crazy about is the fact that it doesn't come with handles on the bowl, so make sure to wear oven mitts when removing the hot bowl. Overall very easy to use, all you do is flip a switch and it kicks to warm when it's done.

cooks rice very fast.

nonstick bowl very easy to clean.

Very easy to use. Just flip a switch. don't leave it on warm too long, it will make your rice crunchy on the bottom. unless you like that sort of thing, i do.

Slightly flimsy. be careful with the bowl, it dents very easily

The design could have been better, but for the price you really can't beat it. but like i said please wear mitts when removing bowl. the cord is a little short.

Easy to Use, but Bottom Layer Is Always Crunchy

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

I have had this rice cooker for over a year. I have definitely started using rice in my meals a lot more since I bought it. Making rice is so much easier when all you have to do is measure it out and push a lever to "Cook." I like how much rice I can make with this rice cooker at once, how easy it is to clean, and how it has a "Keep Warm" option for when the rice is done cooking.

My favorite part of the rice cooker is that it comes with a steaming basket that you can insert at the top of the rice cooker. I have steamed vegetables for dozens of meals in the basket. I like how the basket has small, wire handles so you can lift them up without burning yourself.

There are two things I do not like about the rice cooker. The first thing I don't enjoy is that the rice cooker comes with it's own measuring cup, which equals about 3/4 cup. You have to use that measuring cup when adding your water, otherwise the rice doesn't turn out to the right consistency. I wish the provided measuring cup actually equalled one real cup, so if you misplace the cup you can still get good rice. Also, the rice on the bottom layer of the bowl always turns out crunchy or crusty. We usually make too much for what we need, so we can just throw away the bottom layer. It would be great if we could just use all the rice!

Okay, not the best.

from Ypsilanti, MI

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

I got this rice cooker because I really love freshly steamed rice and not the cooked in a pot type. The problem with this is it's lack of adjustment. You're not really in control of how long this rice cooks or even if it's being correctly cooked. I probably wouldn't have gotten this one if I'd been able to try it out first but I got it cheaply and got what I paid for. I haven't tried it for anything but rice yet but look forward to trying it for things like steamed vegetables or pork buns to see how it performs in those other areas. Overall I'd think it's good for people who don't mind a lesser quality of rice or have limited space in their kitchens, I will probably end up getting a better rice cooker in the near future myself though.

Haven't had long.

Could be better.

I am in love with the Rival Rice Cooker

from Columbia, MO

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

To be honest - I love rice. I eat it almost day and in almost every style - sticky rice, mexican rice, saffron rice, any type of rice! I just love it! Before buying the rice cooker, I was forced to cook over the stove, so the purchase of this rice cooker was a life saver.

I like this rice cooker because it cooks rice almost perfectly. It's also soft, delicious, and sticky. It can cook all different types of rice (I have done white rice and saffron rice - both had cooked very well). And the rice cooker comes with a cute, little rice measuring cup (thus, ensuring your rice measurements match up with what the makers of the rice maker expect!). My favorite thing, perhaps, is that the rice is typically done within thirty to forty-five minutes. Which is quick and great!

The only problem I have had with the rice cooker is that if you aren't keeping a close eye on your cooker, it will ocassionally bubble up and make a mess of your counter. Which is not so fun. But besides that, this rice cooker is great!

Rival rice cooker makes very hard rice

from Austin, TX

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

This product has stood the test of time.

from Wailuku, HI

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

My husband bought this rice cooker last year and I thought that would be broken by now.  But it's lasted for over a year and a half and I use it two or three times a week.  The only difference I find with this cooker is that there's a hole on the top of the lid.  It makes cleaning up a hassle because the steam that comes out is steam with rice so it's sticky and it sticks to everything.  I cook next to the dish rack and when it starts cooking, the steam gets stuck on to the dish rack, the lid and anything else close by.  It's like a rice pudding coat.

The rice itself is good.  The rice at the bottom of the rice cooker is a little brown.  I'm not sure what that's from.  It still tastes good.  I noticed that when you leave the rice in after it's done cooking and have it on the keep warm setting, you have to watch it and only keep it warm for 5 minutes.  Otherwise it starts to burn.

I would recommend this to family and friends because of the cheap price.  It also has lasted a long time.  I might not buy another one like this in the future but it was great having one for all this time.

Good rice cooker, cooks my rice perfec

from Olympia, WA

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

This is a great rice cooker, I've had it for about two years now and it's still in excellent shape.  My rice always comes out great and I LOVE the steam basket that you can cook stuff in above the rice.  I'll make my rice and steam my Hum Bao at the same time.

Great RIce Cooker

from Clinton, NY

Comments about Rival 10-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer:

There are too many products that come out that you would have no idea how to use it and justify buying it. I used to think that about rice cookers, until I owned this one. I really enjoy rice but I think it is so difficult to properly make. This rice cooker makes it perfectly every time. I am pretty busy with two kids and I am trying to find healthy ways to feed our family. This is perfect. Rice is always good and you can do more than just make rice. Since this model has a steamer basket you can make your whole meal right in this. Our family enjoys salmon, chicken, and risotto from this amazing product. There are many recipes to choose. IF you do buy this product I would recommend buying the cook book, The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook to compliment your new buy. It is very easy to clean and after the time is up the button clicks to a "keep warm" until you unplug the rice cooker. This is an easy way for a busy family to eat healthy!