View more Mechanical Sewing Machines

Riccar Sewing Machine

Riccar 551 is a workhorse

from Westwego, LA

Comments about Riccar Sewing Machine:

Its not the prettiest machine out there, but this machine will work. And work, and work, and work! I bought this machine while still in college over 15 years ago, and it has been a workhorse and for a long time, my only sewing machine. It has various stitch functions, including a four step buttonhole, and its amazing the versatility you can get from this machine. It came with a large assortment of feet, and it has been easy to find additional feet for it- it simply requires a low-shank styled foot. My biggest problem has been trying to find bobbins that will fit this machine- it requires a certain kind of metal bobbin, and when I found someone on eBay, I bought two dozen bobbins from her to ensure I would still have bobbins for years to come.(My original seller of the machine closed his shop not long after I bought the machine and passed away soon after that, so that was not an option.) While I now own a newer machine, the Riccar is still the one I go to for quick jobs and for straightforward sewing tasks.

• Stitch Performance: