3.7
Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System

Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System

3.7

THIS HANDY SEALER HAS BECOME THE MOST USED GADGET IN OUR KITCHE

I bought this sealer as a small holiday gift for both my husband and  also my cousin.  My husband started to see the advertisments for the product and before he went and got one I had to  present it to him ahead of time!

It was an immediate joy the first time we used it.  It is so easy and so handy..it fits right in the counter drawer too!   We have a conventional sealer. but that is quickly becoming  old news in out innovative kitchen!   I never would have thought that such  a practical gift could also be such a reasonable purchase.  It works just as well as the more conventional  ( and costly) sealer that now sits unused in the cabinet.  I can only find fault with one aspect of this great little machine...the first time you use it , do not press too hard.  Once you get the knack of it you will be amazed as much as we are!

The joy of  having "ready to use bags "is also a big plus..no more time wasted cutting bags for us!   And they are easily found in all of our local grocery and dept. stores which is another nice feature.  Moderately priced too!

Once I saw what a nice product this was, I didn't want to wait to give my cousin hers, so she too is now enjoying hers just as much as we are.  The funny thing is that she is giving it as  gifts for her friends and her brother as well. I also got my daughter one just so she can try it too.   No one should hesitate with this product!    Reynolds gets a big thumbs up!!!!

Worked Great at First - Now a Piece of Junk!!!

WHAT'S THE 411 ON THIS PRODUCT?

WHAT'S THE 411 ON THIS PRODUCT?

This unit is a pure piece of junk!!!!!!!!! Do NOT buy it!! You're better off getting one of the newer Food Saver units!! This product is a complete waste of money now!!!!!!!!!

But there is a definite design flaw in the design of this unit!! Once the batteries were replaced, I found myself having to replace them every blasted two weeks

But as it turns out, I soon found out that the most constant annoying aggravating and frustrating problem with these machines is that time, after time, after time again, after their vacuum bags are sealed and placed in the freezer, for some ungodly reason, somewhere down the road, the bags begin to work themselves loose - losing their valuable vacuum seal, letting uninvited air in and leaving all of your foods vulnerable to freezer burn and food spoilage!! Making you throw your hard-earned money right in the trash!!

Somehow, those supposedly reliable bags just won't hold a vacuum seal. I've had enough of that!! Stick a fork in me, I'm so done with that constant aggravating problem!!!

The food that you've placed in the bags then moves all around inside the bags and damaging air has been invited back into the bag, paving the way for freezer burn and food spoilage to set in!!

HOW SO?

Years and years ago, I once thought that as long as food was in plastic bags or aluminum foil and stayed in the freezer, that it wouldn't spoil. Boy, was I ever so wrong!!

Air is the primary enemy of frozen foods Leading ordinary freezer bags trap air in, so freezer burn sets in from the minute you close up the bag of food and stow it in the freezer!! Air is what causes so many foods to spoil in the freezer when the food is stored and frozen in ordinary bags. No matter how much you try to squeeze all of the air out, it does no good because you just cannot suck it all out the ordinary way!! The meats veggies and fruits and other things then become rancid and disgusting looking! Beef and pork will start to lose its natural red color and turn brown, as though it's been cooked already. Poultry will start to lose its natural color and turn opag, as if IT was also cooked!

Then, to taste this freezer-burned food after it's cooked, yuck!! You'll want to spit it out!! In the past, you had no choice except to just deal with it and get over it! Until now.

Now, with this wimpy piece of junk, you won't even get what it's supposed to do.

HOW DOES THE UNIT WORK?

Each one of the vacuum sealer bags have a thick-walled construction with a textured liner inside. That lining is on the same side as the port hole where the Reynolds Vacuum Sealer's suction cup is placed and goes about halfway down the length of the bag. There's also a small fill line mark in the upper right-hand corner of each bag. This mark is the fill line. No food should be allowed in this small area, or else the bag will not be vacuum sealed. The suction port hole is right above that.

But now, this unit won't work, even though you hear the wimpy motor running!! Take way too long to get even HALF the air out of the bags!! It's just too blasted slow in getting the air out of the bags!!!!!!!!! Buy that time, the blasted batteries have to be replaced again!!!

When the On button is pressed, the unit's wimpy motor is supposed to to pull out and remove all of the unwanted air from the bag. the air only comes out a little at a time, and EVEN THEN, the bags don't vacuum seal at all!!!!!!!!!

HARD TO USE:

I do not like this unit now!! It just quit working properly all of a sudden!!

FEATURES AND CONSTRUCTION:

1. Machine has a wimpy weak motor that really works!! It WON'T pull the unwanted air out of the bags!

2. Uses only six AA alkaline batteries.

3. Unit is conveniently small - about the size of a hand-held mixer!

4. Has removable clear top to allow for easy cleaning of any liquids that might have gotten in the suction area.

5. Sealed battery compartment.

6. Unit comes with three quart-size bags to get you started.

7. Quart-size and gallon-size bags are available as accessories at your local supermarket where you bought the machine! Nine bags are in the gallon-size box and fourteen bags are in the quart-size box.

8. Takes up less space than the regular units, but what is the use in having this piece of junk when it won't work?!!

9. Bags no longer can be vacuum sealed!

10. You do NOT save any money buy buying in bulk unless you have the NEW AND IMPROVED Food Saver unit!!

11. Air is allowed to invade the bags, and the bags WILL NOT keep their sealing properties like regular vacuum seal bags will!!

12. Freeze burn is NOT gone, and neither is food spoilage!!

13. Will NOT vacuum seal the bags. Does NOT meet or exceed any of my expectations!

14. Motor runs, but the air is NOT sucked out from the bags!!

15. Poor quality now!!

16. Won't work!!!

ANY SHORTCOMINGS AT ALL?

Yes, too many!!!

The blasted batteries have to be replaced every blasted two weeks, the unit is weak and wimpy, It won't deliver the goods, and I'm now just fed up with it!!! I even bought a 2nd one which came on but wouldn't work at all!!!!!!!!!

HOW ABOUT CLEANUP?

Cleanup is ok. Just remove filter assembly at the top, rinse clean, dry and put back on.  Wipe exterior of unit with damp sponge or rag.

MY EXPERIENCE SO FAR:

I NOW ABSOLUTELY HATE this gadget now, with a pure passion!! It does not do the same thing that the new and improved Food Saver units do! I happily went right out and happliy bought a new and improved Food Saver!!

IN SHORT:

This unit is a piece of pure junk!!! Don't buy it.

Thank you for reading this review.

~Daquan13.

Great while it lasted

from Moyock, NC

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

Bought this unit when they first came out on the market. What a great idea it was. It was small, handy, and easy to use. I used mine for several months and was very happy with the seal that I got. No freeze burn at all on the food after many months. The issues are that it was on the slow side for vaccuming the air out of the bags and my unt stopped operating after about 6-9 months of use. The bags were difficult to find and I am not certain if they could even be found now (2013). I will note that I still have not thrown it out thinking that I might be able to fix it and find the bags again. Oh well.

This Reynolds vacuum sealer is not worth the price

from Hershey, PA

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

I'll expand on that by saying that I got it when it first came out, and was being promoted with store sales, coupons, etc. So, luckily, I didn't waste too much money. At first, it seemed to work fine. The bags seem heavy-duty and zip easily. They are serious with their fill line, so don't try to overstuff the bag. The vacuum sealer is compact and fits easily in your hand. It's simple to operate, just line up the tip with the hole in the bag. The motor is pretty weak, but it sucks the air out in a reasonable time. So it seemed to work, and at first I was satisfied with this little gadget. My daughter is a vegan, so when I buy meat, it's for me and my son. Even with regular size packages, (which always cost more than those super size ones), I always freeze half. If this unit had worked better, I would have started buying the larger sizes, and saving some money.

Now keep in mind, it says it "virtually" eliminates freezer burn, with virtually being the operative word. If you are storing for a short time, you are okay. But if you are planning on long term freezing, you are out of luck. As time passes, and your bag gets pushed around in the freezer, you will get freezer burn, because air will get in the bag. This is probably the fault of the bag. Like I said, they seem heavy duty, but they are only freezer bags.

I forgot to mention that the unit comes with batteries preinstalled. So, when the batteries died, which didn't take too many uses, I planned on putting in more batteries in to keep using it. No matter how hard I tried, I was not able to get all the batteries in place, and get the tiny, little screw back in. And I didn't try just once, and toss it. I am way too cost-conscious for that!  I kept trying, and getting more and more frustrated.

So, the end result is that this "handy, little gadget" is actually a disposable piece of junk. It is just another in a long line of disposable junk that we are conned into buying by advertisements that are lies.

If you are serious about safely storing and freezing food, invest in a real vacuum sealing system. Otherwise, just buy a good quality freezer bag, and try to squeeze out as much air as possible.

No use cleaning a disposable product.

As I said, could not replace batteries.

I could not get the batteries back in, so I'd go with a TERRIBLE design.

Worked great for 4 bags now has no suction!

from Ashtabula, OH

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

I bought this thing last week and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I couldn't believe how well it worked.  I had a few things to divy up and freeze, so I called my husband into the kitchen to see how well it worked.  2 bags later no suction!  what a piece of crap!  I'm totally bummed, and not sure if I will buy another one and see if the first was just a fluke or say heck with the thing.

Great product for the price

from South Bend, IN

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

Just got my Reynolds Handi-Vac and love it. Was very easy to use and did a great job. I like to buy in bulk especially in winter so I do not have to go out in the bad weather as much and this is a great way to get my foods and protect them from freezer burn. I have a small kitchen and small counter space so it is also great since it fits in my drawer when not in use.

Not worth your Money!!!

from Point, TX

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

This product worked excellent the first time i used it. Now it's lost all suction power. My husband is an avid deer hunter and we really thought this would be good to save our meat from freezer burn. It would be better as  a disposable vacuum sealer.

This is the easiest and best vacuum sealer around!

from Panama City Beach, FL

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

I have tried the other vacuum sealers and they are not near as easy as this one and you can reseal the bags with ease.  You can use it with either quart or gallon size bags.  Besides frozen food, it also holds cheese, produce and anything you need to keep fresh and keep the air out.   This one is smaller than the other sealers and it is cordless and takes up less space in your cabinet.

Products like this should not be frustrating.

from lawrenceburg, TN

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

We bought this thing a couple of days ago to seal up our venison jerky we make every deer season. My husband and I have both had trouble getting this thing to seal. we have made sure the bags were not over full, and inspecting the little blue dot to see if we were doing it wrong, but it is driving us crazy. putting the suction cup on the blue dot and then pressing the button, seems simple enough, but we are spending about 15 minutes per bag, then it finally decide to start sucking the air out. GEESH! I'd rather suck it out with my own mouth.

I've saved a fortune already.

from Plattsburgh, NY

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

I was hesitant to purchase this at first but am so glad I did. I found it easy to use and really works well in the freezer. I have sealed meat, on sale produce and baked goods and have been thrilled with the result. It's small enough to fit in a drawer so I never hesitate to use it.

Love It But....

from Mesquite, TX

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

I thought that this would save my food from freezer burn but truth be told this machine hardly gets any use at all. I absolutely hate the freezer bags that you have to buy for the machine. The freezer bags has this plastic kind of mesh at the top of the bags and when you are sucking air out of a bag that contains raw meat the raw meat juice gets caught in the plastic mesh, so when you defrost the meat later on you have to throw the bag away because it is impossible to get the meat juice out of the mesh. That is a huge pet peeve of mine since the bags are suppose to be re-useable. But when you are freezing lots of meat, that's a lot of bags that you have to throw away. That is the main reason why this gets little use in house. The little hand held machine works great, it does suck out all of the air out of the bags. You do have to apply a tad bit of pressure in order for it to suck all of the air out the bags. It's great on batteries, I have had to change the batteries in this machine only once since I've had it and I have had it for 3 years. In all if you buy a lot of meat or products in bulk I would recommend this for you.

Works great for the price!

from Archer, FL

Comments about Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Food Storage System:

The Reynolds Handi Vac Handheld Sealer is a great little tool for the kitchen. Easy to use,even for the first timer.When there are small portions to save, it is strong enough to handle the job, extracting most of the air,helping food stay fresh longer and eliminating freezer burn.