2.6

2.6

Pros

Cons

I Feel Like I'm Stealing Food When I Buy at Restaurant.com

I am never one to turn down a free meal, or even getting one for a bargain deal. When I joined ***Viewpoints***, I quickly became the recipient of the *Simple Thanks Award* *(again, thank you Viewpoints for the incredible gesture!)* and was rewarded with a gift certificate to **Restaurant.com**. Quite honestly, I never heard of the site, or perhaps I already have and just forgot about it. In any event, I was ravenous enough to put my new gift to good use.

**Restaurant.com** is a site designed to introduce new dining experiences for people to venture out and investigate. Most of the time people tend to be wary about trying out a new restaurant if they are not too sure about the service and the menu. More importantly, the cost of the meal becomes a huge factor in the decision making. Why take a risk at having a not-so pleasant meal and paying an arm and a leg for your trouble? **Restaurant.com** alleviates some of that stress.

Upon redeeming my online gift certificate, I had to sign up on its website which proved to be easy. From there, it was a matter of choosing a restaurant within my vicinity that looked appealing. That proved to be a bit trickier than it looks. By entering my zip code, I was provided with a list of participating restaurants in this program. There is a lot to choose from but it can also be limiting depending on the area of your choice. I'm fortunate enough that there is plenty to choose around me.

Once I selected the restaurant I wanted to dine at, I printed out that gift certificate and had a year to use it from the day I printed it out before it expires. Each restaurant has a certain stipulation for using the gift certificate. Most of them require you to dine in its establishment and order at least two entrées that usually cost a total of $35 or more. I don't mind too much about the restrictions though it would be helpful if I could take out a meal as well.

The experience I had through **Restaurant.com** was good enough for me to return and purchase some gift certificates. As advertised on its website, a $25 gift certificate costs only $10. That's more than 50% in savings. But the savvy shopper in me knew that I could buy it for even cheaper. My wife found a coupon code to use *(for a limited time of course)* that allowed people to buy a $25 gift certificate for $4. Think about it. A $25 meal that only costs $4? *That's absolutely incredible!* Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity. But while one door closes, another one opens.

As a member of another site called ***Upromise***, I noticed that **Restaurant.com** become one of its newest sponsors. ***Upromise*** is offering 15% back to its members if they purchase any **Restaurant.com** gift certificates through its site. As an introductory bonus, ***Upromise*** offered a special code to its members to shop at **Restaurant.com**. For a limited time during Halloween week, each $25 gift certificate only cost $2! I knew I couldn't pass over the opportunity this time and definitely took advantage of it. I bought $650 worth of gift certificates for only $52! How insane is that? Even better, I received my 15% back from ***Upromise*** for my purchases.

My biggest gripe about **Restaurant.com** is the checkout. So far, I have had problems with the site's connection when it comes to finalizing my purchase to the point that I think the order never went through at all. Even though it says not to refresh the page while the transaction is taking place, it never advances to the next page to confirm my purchases. Thankfully, the confirmation e-mails do arrive in my inbox; otherwise, I would be extremely worried that I got hoodwinked.

**Restaurant.com** has proven to be a good place to purchase great gifts for food connoisseurs without having to break the bank in the process. I definitely make great use of the site. It's even better when I can take advantage of what both this site and ***Upromise*** can give to me. In this case, double dipping is truly recommended.

Thanks, ***Viewpoints***, for pointing me in the right direction.

Restaurant.com works for some - but careful esp on gifts.

I have a $25 certificate at restaurants.com. Actually, it may have expired by now. I have not been able to use it for a variety of reasons. So, there's some money down the drain which is probably how the site is able to offer low prices to those who can use these restaurant coupons.

The first issue is that there are virtually no restaurants in my area on the list of restaurants that will take restaurant.com gift certificates or coupons. The closest one was a low end biker bar. No. I'm no kidding. As best I recall, food there is pizza in the microwave or that sort of thing. The bar is no longer on the list, so there goes that option - to take a blast from the past and have a bar microwave pizza (as the gift certificates do not cover beverages). I guess $25 would have gone a long way there.

Other restaurants close my area had all kinds of provisions on the certificates. An example would be that one required dinner only and a $50 purchase to cash in the $25 plus an 18% tip automatic. I generally tip 20% and sometimes more (higher than average in a small town), but I do not appreciate that being added on. The one time I recall having a meal with an auto tip, the waitress never refilled drinks and did not even bring the dessert which was on the bill (but removed when I noted I did not get it). I think servers should be paid fair wages off the top, but if it's going to be a tip system here, then I don't appreciate a restaurant adding that in and no guarantee of even adequate service.

If you live in a metro area with good coverage and use the certificates quickly (before restaurants change policies), restaurants.com can be a good deal. If you pay $5 for $25 etc., then that is a savings even if you have to adjust your schedule to meet the requirements and have to spend a certain amount above the coupon value and do get stuck with an automatic tip at some random percentage.

In small towns with few options, restaurants.com may not work out so well. You may end up at the biker bar and not know that's the kind of place that signed up, and you may show up and not know that they stopped accepting restaurant.com certificates if you sit on them a while. Oh well. I guess, you can buy a beer and go to a real restaurant, but you don't get your certificate then.

I've seen these recommended as good gifts. I take exception to that idea. Unless you know for certain that the other person will read all the rules, follow them, and use the gift certificates, then you tossed bucks down the drain. I suppose the $50 gift that cost only $10 or $20 or whatever looks good, but if it's not used, then you wasted your money, and the person who got the gift gets nothing in the end.

Review of Restaurant.com

from Austin, TX

Comments about Restaurant.com:

I use the website restaurant.com very frequently. Each time my husband and I are planning to go out to eat or are going out of town on a trip, I look up the restaurants in the areas we are going using restaurant.com. It has saved us a lot of money. Many times the value we get at the restaurant from using the coupon/gift certificate, along with specials the restaurant is running, makes for a very nice deal. It takes some planning as you have to know where you want to eat, go to the website, pay for the deal and then print it out to use. But, the savings is worth the money. I have used this site atleast 10 times. I have Never had a problem redeeming it at a restaurant.

I will not use this again

from San Diego

Comments about Restaurant.com:

I bought a $25 certificate to a restaurant. I went to that restaurant and was told they did not accept Restaurant.com certificates. Why would I be able to buy one if they don't accept them?
'

Buyer Beware! Check with restaurant first

from Portland Me

Comments about Restaurant.com:

Buyer Beware! Check with the restaurant first to see if legit.
Restaurant.com listed my restaurant JimmyTheGreeks in Portland Maine when their boiler room contacted a cook.
No written authorization, No emails
Ridiculous that they won't back it up when the customer or business loses out !

You never know if a restaurant will accept your certificate

from Centreville, VA

Comments about Restaurant.com:

Restaurant.com told me that one restaurant was no longer accepting their certificates so I exchanged my certificate for another restaurant but there were very limited choices. Later when I went to the original restaurant, I was told that they would have accepted my certificate after all. I went to another restaurant and I was told that they were no longer accepting Restaurant.com certificates but they didn't tell me this until after I had ordered. The Restaurant.com web site often has issues so it is difficult and time consuming to exchange certificates when they are no longer accepted by restaurants. I've never had an issue with Groupon, Amazon Local, or Local Flavor certificates.

food is bomb

from san tan valley, az

Comments about Restaurant.com:

Stepping through the door at the restaurant Greek Island Grill on Hunt High Way and Bella Vista in San Tan Valley AZ feels like your entering a whole new world. There is a giant, beautiful mural painting on the whole left side of the wall. It contains so many vibrant colors and provides an atmosphere that takes you around the world to Greece. There are some modern touches that enhance the experience like a small television in the corner of the room. The restaurant is a casual sit-down type of deal or you can order and come pick up your food. When my sister and I visited the place we dinned-in and sat in what seemed like brown picnic tables.
The staff working were very inviting a kind. I believe it was a family business and I think that they could speak Greek to each other. The menu was large and very detailed. There were a lot of tradition Greek foods to choose from but my sister and I decided to order a typical Greek lunch. We order gyros that came with this amazing Greek yogurt and cucumber based sauce. They were a great size because I was really full after I finished it. The price was reasonable too. I believe, with tax, they were around six dollars.
Altogether, the experience as a whole was great. The restaurant was conveniently close to my house and the service was fast and pleasant. The food was delicious and the staff welcomes us sweetly and happily. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family and anyone who would enjoy a change in culture and food. It is good food for a good price and nothing is better than that.

No family friendly site.

from Tallahassee, FL

Comments about Restaurant.com:

Choices very limited, their $10 certificates cannot be combine can be use only once a month and if you have a family you are screw.

Difficult to find accepting restaurants

from South San Francisco, California

Comments about Restaurant.com:

I have gone to several places with my certificates and they tell me they either do not accept them anymore or that they never did accept them. When I try to "exchange" them for other certificates it is difficult to find restaurants near me and also seems to be impossible to combine small value certificates for a higher value one. I am stuck with a lot of wasted money spent it seems.

Terrible customer service

Comments about Restaurant.com:

It's my husband's birthday and I tried to sign into Restaurant.com to print one of the many certificates I have purchased. It had been a while and I forgot the password. I used the password retrieval system and waited...and waited...finally 10 minutes later it came. When I went to use the password and the system said I had tried to many times and to "try again later." When later? 15 minutes? Tomorrow? How was I supposed to know that in order to use the certificate I paid for I would have to plan in advance to print it. That's not 2015 friendly. They sure didn't wait to take my money when I paid them up front, though, did they? Groupon is better. I wish I had never used Restaurant.com.

Limited choices

Comments about Restaurant.com:

When I initially heard of restaurant.com and really thought that I hit the jackpot, as my family are self proclaimed foodies and thought this was right up our alley. I was wrong and very disappointed in the choices that were available.

Not very easy to use the site.

Product Selection
They do have tons of different restaurants however most of them are of places I have never personally heard of, or only have one location that is not in my area or in another state.

Product Pricing
You can not purchase anything that cost below or at the face value of the certificate, which is a bummer if you are eating alone.

Customer Service
Customer service is not very professional and some of them really have no idea of how to answer questions. They never direct you to the correct person that can help you with an issue and you have to literally speak to 3 or 4 different people before you get an answer to your question.

Shipping and Returns
It literally takes forever to get the certificate sent to you. It does no good to call customer service to inquire as they won't have an answer for you.

• Shipping and Returns:

Great online coupon codes and discounts offered

Comments about Restaurant.com:

I only access the Restaurant.com website on occasion because there are not very many local restaurants that partner with this company. I do find that the restaurants that do make offers available often offer a significant discount (more than 50 percent). I find that the restaurant offers on this website are very hit or miss. There is no pattern or consistency in terms of the deals that will be available. Frequent visits to the Restaurant.com website is likely your best option if you are looking for a specific or recurring deal. I do find that this website offers high value coupon codes which often makes $25 gift certificates very affordable at just $3 or $4 each. Many vouchers have specific requirements like you may only visit at certain times or you have to spend a minimum amount of additional money in order to redeem the gift certificate. If your timing is right and the high value online coupon codes are available, you can get an amazing deal!