Other Hair Conditioners:
Redken Smooth Down Conditioner

Redken Smooth Down Conditioner

Pros

Cons

I might just have to shell out the cash for some more of this!

Earlier this year when I went to my hairdresser, I asked her what shampoo and conditioner she had used because my hair was so smooth after.  I have very thick hair that tends to be very dry after a shower.  When my hairdresser said it was **Redken Smooth Down Shampoo and Conditioner** and that they were having a sale, I went ahead and bought it.  I'm not going to review the shampoo because I tend to like almost any shampoo.  In this case, it was the conditioner that really made a difference.  I ran out of the shampoo and have just been using hotel shampoo, yet the conditioner still has all the good effects so I know that this is the good stuff!

I only need a little bit of conditioner to smooth it through all of my thick hair, which is why it lasted longer than the shampoo.  One or two drops in wet hair covers it all.  My hair starts to detangle instantly as I am putting the conditioner in.  When I rinse, my hair feels smooth the entire time.  Some conditioners wash right out and make your hair feel dry right away, but this doesn't.  My hair feels really smooth and silky all the way until I'm done rinsing.

The real testament to this is when my hair dries.  It feels smooth and doesn't look frizzy or poofy at all!  Well, my hair is really thick so it still looks really thick right after it dries, but at least it doesn't look frizzy and it looks like a nice thickness.  So Redken Smooth Down manages to smooth out my hair without making it look thin or flat.  My hair feels nice and smooth until the next time I wash it.  When I run out of this conditioner, I'll be heading to my hairdresser for another bottle!  I won't buy the shampoo because I don't think the shampoo makes much difference, but this conditioner is on the top of my list :)  Enjoy!!

*Note: someone marked this is tested on animals, however based on what I've been able to find on the web, Redken states on their website that they do NOT test on animals.*

*"We confirm that REDKEN, part of the L'Oréal Group, has carried out no animal testing on its entire range of products since 1989."*

Great for thicker hair, not so much for fine hair

I love Redken products and I am usually a huge fan of all of their products. The Redken Smooth Down line was not for me. The Smooth Down Conditioner is an extremely heavy conditioner. I have fine hair, but it is dry from bleaching, but this was way too for my hair. My hair was left very flat and I could not get volume back into it. I have many friends who love this, but most of them have ethnic hair that is coarser and require a much more heavy duty conditioning.

The conditioners effectiveness is there. It is VERY conditioning. Thick and coarse hair would soak it up and be soft. Be wary if you do have fine hair. This is TOO much conditioning, even if you have dry, bleached, damaged hair. If that describes your hair and it's fine, stay clear, but if that describes your hair and it is thick, by all means, condition away. Even if your hair is just thick with no damage, but is still dry (especially during winter months) than you will probably love this conditioner.

Nothing special, but not strong and does not linger after usage.

Great for frizzies and flyaways

from Pennsylvania

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

I like to try new products and I usually don't like to spend a lot of money. This is more expensive than I usually pay for conditioner. That is okay because I like to rotate products so there is not a buildup of certain ingredients. I think Redken Smooth Down Conditioner is a great product. They have an entire line that is designed to smooth hair.

I have very long, straight, fine hair. I have to be careful with what conditioner I use because some leave my fine hair weighed down and dirty looking. This conditioner does a wonderful job of taming down frizzies and flyaways for a very smooth flat ironed look. Redken nourishes my hair from root to tip. It adds shine and makes my hair look healthy and silky smooth. It was gentle of my color treated hair and didn't cause fading.

This stuff smells delicious. It smells really good and has a powerful enough scent to last until I wash and condition my hair again.

This is great for frizz and flyaway hairs.

from West Virginia

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

I am in love with this for when my hair is just a mess. Sometimes I cut my bangs short. Other times I let my bangs grow long. Between periods of long and short bangs, the new hair growth is everywhere. On top of new hair growth, the rest of my hair is sticking up in patches and frizzing out.

I have three feet of straight hair so it's hard to tame. I was very pleased and surprised with this conditioner. My hair isn't perfectly straight but it's pretty close. This conditioner does what my regular conditioner cant. It gets my hair tamed and calmed down without me having to take a flat iron to it to seal it in.

I love that this works on my long hair. It's hard to find products that work for hair that is so long and heavy. I also love not having to flat iron my hair as much. I would recommend this for anyone who has frizz and flyaway problems. My hair looks great, it feels great, and it smells awesome. Redkin certainly has their stuff together when it comes to frizz control because I can even use a tiny amount of this product with damp hair as a leave in frizz controller.

I have much less frizz and flyaway hair since I used this product.

It has a good scent that penetrates deeply. When paired with the Redkin conditioner, the scent lasts for days.

Made the texture of my hair feel like silk

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

This Redken smooth down conditioner is one of the best conditioners I have ever used in my lifetime. Its so amazing, its very moisturizing to my dry ends and its nourishes my hair from root to tip without weighing it down. It has a soft scent to it that makes my hair smell good. It has a thick and creamy texture to it that isn't heavy for my hair. My hair doesn't feel greasy or oily. My hair isn't so frizzy anymore and my hair is a lot more manageable to control. Its easy to rinse out and it makes my hair tangle free. It makes easy everyday combing for me. My hair has improved a lot in strength and its a lot smoother and easier to style. I love my hair now and I love how soft it is. Its even gentle to color treated hair it didn't make my color fade my hair seemed more vibrant and shiny after. I would definitely buy this conditioner again, it brought my hair back to life making it feel hydrated. Its a bit pricey but its well worth the money.

Wow! So much better.

from San Antonio, Texas

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

At the hair salon I regularly go to, I noticed that they only sell Redken products. There was always a wide variety of items meant for all types of hair, but they were so expensive, and I was skeptical of their effectiveness. Because I was a regular patron of the salon, my hairdresser told me I was eligible for a free bottle of the Smooth Down Conditioner. She asked me what I usually bought (some generic grocery store brand), and she attributed the brand to my dry, lifeless hair.

Redken feels great to the touch, and especially when lathering it on your scalp. There was no burn, no further drying of my scalp, and no worsening of my occasional problems with dandruff. My hair looks better now, feels smoother, and ultimately, seems more alive. The bottle is pretty large too, and will last you a while if you aren't wasteful. Because I have short hair, I usually apply a small amount around the size of a quarter.

I am so happy with just the conditioner itself that I may buy the shampoo. If your salon uses Redken, they may offer some good deals on new and existing products. Take advantage of these promotions!

Great for thicker hair, not so much for fine hair

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

Nothing special, but not strong and does not linger after usage.

Definitely worth the price

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

My entire life I have struggled with maintaining my thick and fluffy hair. I have tried countless products in order to regain some sort of control over the beast. Eventually a friend of mine recommended using the Redken Smooth Down Shampoo and Conditioner set. I have always been a fan of Redken and their products. Not a single one of them as left me feeling disappointed in the investment or product itself. Yes, they are pricey compared to generic brand and such, but it is well worth it.

The conditioner itself has lasted me quite a while. It doesn't take much of the product for my hair, which is a blessing. Usually with how thick my hair is, I feel like I need double or triple the amount someone else would use. My hair is easily detangled even as I'm in the shower, and once dried it's still just lovely. I feel like my hair is calmed down and not as frizzy as before. Finally it's manageable and easy for me to style or just wear as is.

You get a lot for your money

from Leland, NC

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

This product is a great conditioner. I use it every other day or every 3 days, when I shampoo, and it really makes my dry, colored hair look smooth and healthy... even when I use a straightening iron!  A tiny bit goes a long way. Dime sized portion covers my long, thick hair. One small bottle (a little larger than toothpaste-sized) has lasted more than 2-3 months and still going!

Smooth Down it truly vibrant and soft

from Naples, FL

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

Redken Smooth down for heat styling is the best product I have tried for heat styling. A tiny bit goes a very long way and dry and damged hair turns into the healthiest and shiniest looking hair. It is not very expensive as far as salon products go and you can feel confident that you will have that straight from the stylist look.

Redken Smooth Down really makes your heat stylers work better and works with them to condition , soften and add fantastic shine to your hair.

I have been stopped on the street by strangers and asked what kind of shampoo I use because my hair is so captivatingly shiny.

The smell is aromatic and the almond oil in it really seems to moisturize and protect your scalp.

Your style can last a few days or you can reactivate the product in your next shower.

I always want to try the next best thing but return to the Redken Smooth Down because it always works! It is a godsend for my hair.

Helps reduce frizz.

from Delray Beach, FL

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

I live in S. Florida and have curly, color treated hair and find that a little goes a long way with this styling cream. Have tried it with the entire smooth down line minus the heat glide and helps minimize the frizz factor.  Would highly recommend as it work s as well as department store hair products.

Amazing I have difficult hair and this is perfect

from Brookwood, AL

Comments about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner:

Hello my name is Ashley. I am writing this about Redken Smooth Down Conditioner. Im from Alabama and have been through a lot of hair care products in my life due to the dact that I am biracial. I am half black and half white. My hair isn't solf and silky like most white people's and is not as course as most black people's hair. It is basicly a perfect mix. I love Redken Smooth Down Conditioner because it wasn't developed strictly for African American hair like so many products I have used before that weighed my hair down or made it too greasy or did both weight my hair down and also make my hair greesy, But Redken Smooth Down Conditioner gives my hair the extra moisture it needs with out weighing it down like so many products before. When I wash my hair with it and spray my Joico K- pac heat protection spray in my hair and then blow dry it and then straighten it, (my hair) with my Chi hair straightner it is so soft and silky it has movement and is so much easier to deal with I can wear it down and not have to worry about my hair looking crazy.