Other Magazines:
Real Simple Magazine

Real Simple Magazine

Makes Life Simpler

I like many women nowadays lead a very busy lifestyle, so any magazine that can help make my life simpler is a winner.  Real Simple is a bit expensive, but it is a life saver.  There are so many tips to making life more simple, and I always learn something new from the articles.  It teaches you all about the latest gadgets and gizmos and which ones you should buy and which ones you should stay away from.  I love their product comparisons, especially when it comes to which food you should stock your pantry with and what desserts to splurge on.  They have great tips for using household products in new and unique ways, and great gift giving ideas.  I love the recipes in this magazine because some only have a few ingredients, but will come out looking like you spent a million hours perfecting them.  Some recipes are more complex, but there are great photos and they even help organize your grocery list so that you don't forget any ingredients.  They have helpful insider tips on so many of lifes questions and I guarantee you will feel better and find at least one tip for an easier life after reading these pages.

Simply Too Many Ads

Many years ago I purchased a copy of **Real Simple** off the newsstand because it looked like an interesting read. Halfway through the magazine, something struck me: every other page was an advertisement. In disbelief I confirmed this, flipping from page to page to page. No two pages in a row were actual content. I decided not to purchase a subscription. Fast forward many years, and this time I found a subscription for a rock bottom rate, so figuring that the magazine must have changed a little, I subscribed to it.**About Real Simple**The magazine's premise is enticing: "real simple" tips, ideas and articles to help you simplify your life, become more organized, and thereby hopefully achieve some form of lifestyle "enlightenment". Each issue includes a series of simple recipes, a section on "a-ha" (TM Oprah) uses for everyday things, fashion and buying information, a reader profile, and an interesting question posed to readers.**What I Like About Real Simple**I enjoy getting the magazine because of the recipes, and I particularly like the "a-ha" uses for everyday things. This month's issue, for instance, advises you to use a garlic press to crush things like coriander seeds and peppercorns. I also like the reader question each month, and frequently I find helpful tips for gift giving that I would have never thought of myself. For example, in this month's issue, a reader wrote about how she always includes a letter of reference in a gift to a graduate that they can use when looking for a job. I thought that was a very thoughtful tip. **What I Don't Like About Real Simple**The ads in Real Simple are still Real Annoying. I have noticed that in my current issues they don't insist that *every* other page be an advertisement, but it's still conspicuously ad heavy. This month's issue ran ***300 pages***, the great majority of which are ads. I checked and the letter from the Editor and the table of contents are tucked in behind over *thirty* pages of ads at the front of the magazine. If Real Simple needs this many ads to be successful, then perhaps they should reconsider publishing.**Cat's Bottom Line**The volume of ads makes Real Simple much less simple to read. If you like organization and life simplifying tips, grab a copy from a magazine rack and try before you buy. I think the amount of paper Real Simple spends on ads is costly, environmentally stupid, and annoying. I recommend this magazine with hesitation simply because of the ads, and it's a shame, because the content of the magazine is really quite good. I won't be renewing my subscription when it comes due.

Magazine is not anything but Advertisements - So sad!

from Sevierville, Tennessee

About Me Everyday Reader

Pros

Cons

• Too Many Ads

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

I always loved to purchase this magazine and spend the afternoon reading. Purchased the June issue and so very disappointed. More advertisements than content! Feel like I was truly "ripped off". So sad as this was once one of my favorites. So sad!!!

Too Many Advertisements

from Sacramento CA

About Me Everyday Reader

Pros

Cons

• Too Many Ads

• Younger Readers

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

When I first started my subscription, this was a great magazine. I've either grown tired of it OR they have changed. I can barely open a 2-page spread without having one page a advertisement. Not worth your time or money

Lots of life tips

from New York, NY

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

I love this magazine. I have had a subscription for years. If you purchase it at a store and enjoy it, defiantly subscribe to it because the cost of an individual magazine at a store or news stand is pretty steep for a magazine. The magazine has tons of great sections which run in every issue. For example, there is a section for new uses for old things. Who knew you could do so much with something simple like a rubber and or a cotton ball?!? I also love the advice section, which is all about proper etiquette. There is also a "best of" section, in which several brands are compared and reviewed. The decorating and cleaning tips span the ages (my mother, my sister, and I will all love the same decorating ideas); however the decorating ideas are never cheap. My biggest complaints are that the fashion pages feel like they are often for an older age group and that the recipes are never really healthy. But I would say you could take bits and pieces out of both the fashion section and the recipes and still make the ideas work. Overall, this is my favorite subscription, as it has so much in one space (and really does make life a little more simple)

REal Simple, good magazine if you have money

from Vancouver WA

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

This magazine is a good read and has excellent photographs. I also enjoy some of the real life stories that they include. My complaint is that the magazine is pretty expensive if you buy it off the stand, and even a subscription seems to cost more than average. Also most of their fashions do not relate to every day people. The clothes are fancy and expensive. None of it is anything I could actually afford to purchase. Real simple means to me exactly what it says. Real people who want simple lives. The recipes they include are also very advanced. I would think they would consider some easier things for people who don't have the time to cook gourmet. I still enjoy looking at this magazine and it is well put together it's just honestly out of my price range. If you have money to buy the magazine, buy the clothes, and cook the food then you will love this magazine. If you don't then maybe you should ironically stick to something simpler.

all-in-1 practical magazine from fashion to organization

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

I am in my mid 30s and have been receiving Real Simple magazine via subscription for over four years. Every issue I've found useful and relevant information and they cover so many different topics, (fashion, cooking, good books, life advice, beauty product reviews, ways to organize, and my favorite "new uses for old things") that there is something for everybody. I look forward to each issue and when finished, pass it on to my mother. Highly recommend!

Terrible Customer Service and Advertising Dept.

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

The business I manage decided to give Real Simple a try - both as a way to advertise and just as a good read for all our employees. We were confirmed to have our ad place before the holidays, but last minute someone decided to pull the plug and include us in a very vague online-only section. We had to order more than enough product to prepare for the sales the ad would generate, they REQUIRED us to have 1000 units before the ad was to be published. So now we are stuck with fees to return a mass amount of unsold product and no compensation from Real Simple, even after talking to their manager. Nothing. Do not expect them to work with you for any kind of advertising needs, especially if it is at a free or discounted rate. (and even then it is extremely expensive) Please do not support this magazine. The more this company thrives, the more people and businesses get screwed over.

Very entertaining!

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

I have been subscribing to this magazine for several years now. I do think it is a little expensive, but I enjoy it so much that I continue to renew year after year. The articles are very entertaining and there are so many topics covered. I enjoy all the cleaning and organizing tips in every issue. There are wonderful recipes in every issue and all of them are simple to make (my husband loves reading this section of the magazine too)! I have learned a lot by reading this magazines and it has helped me make several lifestyle changes that simplify my daily life. In addition, every once in a while I will get a few really valuable coupons that allow me to save money on products I already buy. I would recommend this magazine to anyone wanting to find ways to streamline their life!

I don't want to miss a single page

from Flora, IL

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

Over the years, I have subscribed to a lot of different magazines, and most of them had sections devoted to topics in which I am interested.  There were still a lot of pages that didn't interest me, though, and occasionally, I would receive a magazine that had nothing of interest to me.  That made me feel as if I had wasted money on the subscription.

Real Simple is a magazine I read faithfully, and every issue is read front to back, every page.  The articles are wide-ranging and cover a lot of different interests.  There are decorating ideas, recipes (and they do have the nutritional info, something I especially look for), articles on dressing to compliment particular body types, consumer testing and recommendations, bargain buys, questions and answers on various topics, and one of my faves, new uses for common items.  The fashions shown in the magazine are generally pretty down to earth,  accessible to those of us who did not inherit the big bucks, with none of the three thousand dollar price tags for a particular item or outfit.

My limit for a one-year subscription is normally $20.00.  Real Simple is just a couple of dollars over that, and it's well worth it.  This is one magazine that I can pass on to my mother or my sister, or take to the office.  Everyone seems to enjoy it.

If, for some reason, I was limited to one magazine subscription, Real Simple would be the one in my mailbox.

KEPT BILLING ME EVEN WHEN PAID, REAL STUPID

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

Don't send them money up front they are too disorganized to record a prepaid subscription. I was billed 6 additional times after I paid them with a check in my order. The check I sent was cashed & still I couldn't get anyone there to help me. I cancelled on Dec. 10, 2011 & on Dec. 27th I was sent the December issue of the magazine & was told It would be deducted from my Subscription Payment IF I HAD PAID IT ALREADY.....I am still waiting to see if I get my money back.

Great How-To Helper

from Bumpass, VA

Comments about Real Simple Magazine:

This magazine is packed full of helpful hints on a ton of topics, from getting organized to finding internet deals. I look forward each month to receiving this huge magazine (well worth the price) and seeing what I can learn. A definite keeper, I save each one in case I come across something in the future that I remember reading about in a prior issue.