3.5
Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo

Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo

3.5

Ragu Classic Alfredo sauce makes better than average fast food

I first used Cheesy Ragu classic Alfredo sauce during my kitchen remodel.  It was a time of going out for fast food, sandwiches, and frozen entrees from the microwave amidst clutter, hectic activity, and frayed tempers.  One night when things were put back together a little, my son grilled some chicken breasts on the grill, I boiled some spaghetti noodles, heated up the Alfredo sauce, poured it over the noodles on a serving plate and added the chicken breasts on top for a quick and elegant looking meal.  Served with green salad and some garlic bread, it was really quite enjoyable.

The sauce comes in a sixteen ounce glass jar and serves about 7 people a one-fourth cup serving.  This has 110 calories of which 90 are fat.  There is 350 mgm of sodium in this serving, one gram of sugar and 30 mg of cholesterol, 2 carbs, and no fiber.  But used as I used it with chicken breasts and a whole wheat spaghetti, it can be part of a healthy meal.

Cheesy is Right - in the Wrong Sense

OK...maybe I'm "too" picky.  I was born & raised in St. Louis; home to many fine Italian restaurants.  I'm spoiled!  Pop always said, "If you can't say anything nice - don't say anything at all."  But, I feel the need to give a brief description.

This jar of **Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo **is about as Italian as Taco Bell is authentic Mexican.  It's not.  On their web site, Ragu claims "Made with real cheese and full of creamy flavor."  They also state, "Roasted Garlic Parmesan".

Then why was I adding more Parmesan & more garlic - and it still didn't taste right?  Yep...it's more convenient - but the 'real Italian flavor' is sadly lacking.  I'll just go back to making my own from scratch - thank you.

I do not recommend this

from Los Angeles Calif.

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

I made chicken alfredo with this Ragu sauce and it tastes good BUT..the smell got to me bad and i just couldn't finish my food. i will not be buying this sauce again. i do love the Ragu spaghetti sauce though but the smell of the alfredo sauce is just horrible.

GROSS

from Houston Texas

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

I literally have never written a review for a product. This junk was so bad it compelled me to write this. I would literally lick my armpit (not what I want to say. Keeping it PG ) to get the taste of the ragu junk out of my mouth. Thanks for ruining my lunch. And I can't get the taste out of my mouth. It is terrible.
I do like their spaghetti sauce. Think they need to revisit the Alfredo.

Why is this product bashed?

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

I simply do not understand why so many people have bashed this product, over the past 3 years I have become obsessed with alfredo sauce. And in my own attempt to find the best canned alfredo sauce...I sought out Ragu. Yes, the sauce is a bit bland when served with no seasoning to taste, over noodles. However I hold the key to making this sauce a delicacy. It is as simply as 4 ingredients that chances are you have in your cupboard right now. So take out your parsley flakes, chopped chives, oregano seasoning, and fresh black pepper, and lets get to work !
Add the ingredients listed above to taste- the chopped chives and oregano seal the deal!!! Serve over corkscrew or penne noodles for authentic, Macaroni Grill style alfredo noodles.

Delicious and great value

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

I have always liked Ragu products, but this one is very versatile as well as tasty. I use it to add to noodles and chicken for a fast and tasty lunch. I also use this sauce to augment my cheese layers in my lasagnas. But what's really great is that this brand has among the best prices, yet all this quality.

The Closest To Homemade Alfredo Sauce That You Can Buy.

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

I absolutely love the Ragu Alfredo sauce. I haven't gotten around to making my own so this is the best alternative. It has a great Parmesan flavor and a creamy delicious saucey texture. There is the perfect amount of pepper added to the sauce. I always add salt and pepper to my dinner dish but I like to have a smaller amount when cooking the dish. The jar could be bigger but it should be able to feed a few people. I myself am the only one who eats it in my household. I can have about 4 bowls of pasta Alfredo. So overall the taste, quality and amount of the Ragu Parmesan Alfredo sauce is exceptional. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who likes Alfredo.

Very Good Compared To Other Ragu Sauces.

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

I love Ragu, and it used to be my favorite brand I would purchase. The only problem with it is that it's too runny, or watery. I ended up switching to a completely different brand because of this. However, with their alfredo sauce, that's a different story. I don't particularly care for alfredo sauce, but my daughter LOVES it! She cooks up her fettuccine noodles, pours on her alfredo sauce, adds some Parmesan cheese, & she couldn't be happier. The sauce itself is very cheesy (I may not like it, but I have tried it), and it's just thick enough. It's got great texture in your mouth. It doesn't have that gritty, cheesy feel to it like melting cheese in the microwave. There are some sauces that taste like that out there, but this one definitely isn't one of them. It's also got lots of flavor! Far from the bland taste of other brands. As far as alfredo sauces go, I think Ragu has one of the best ones out there!

Not bad, could be better

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

Yesterday was the first time I have used Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo sauce, on pasta and chicken. The smell is kind of off putting, but it does not taste as bad as it smells. It was very bland though, I had to throw some Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in mine to make it better. It WAS nice and thick though,which is always a plus for me when it comes to sauces. Tonight, I used it on some seasoned potatoes and it was pretty good, I liked it much better on the seasoned potatoes.

I would recommend this product to people IF they can find it cheap (I am sure there are much better alfredo sauces at a competitive price, I just have not got around to trying them yet) and IF they are not sauce sticklers. If I had never had alfredo at a restaurant, I most likely would have given this sauce a higher rating. I would probably use this again on something that is not a main dish, such as potatoes or vegetables. Its not too impressive on pasta.

Not as good as I thought!

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

I absolutely love Ragu products. I also love Alfredo! However, I purchased this product and it taste bland to me. I have to use a lot of my own seasonings to add flavor. I would definitely recommend the Ragu Roasted Garlic kind because it has more flavoring to it. If you are the type of person who likes classic, regular Alfredo then you may like this. But, as for me, I enjoy lots of flavoring!! Other than that, Ragu is a good product!

Tasted plain and not "cheesy" at all.

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

Ragu cheesy classic alfredo sauce was okay but was lacking in flavor. To me it tasted very plain. I didn't get even a hint of cheese in the sauce. It just felt like it was missing something. If you are looking for a basic alfredo sauce this might work for you but I would definitely add some sort of element to it to improve the flavor.

Great on rice and vegetables.

Comments about Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo:

I can make plain rice in my rice cooker, steam some veggies, and pour a little of this over the top for a great meal. A little steamed talapia along with it goes great. My grandchild is a picky eater, but loves this. The WalMart great value brand appears to be the same thing (might be made for them by Ragu).