1.6
Other Misc. Travels:
RCI (Resort Condominiums International)

RCI (Resort Condominiums International)

1.6

Trading timeshares through RCI

We own 2 timeshares. Both are properties in Orlando, Fl and have high trading value. We mainly bought them to trade for other vacations. We researched and knew what we were getting into when we bought. You need to know that planning far in advance is the best way to get where you want to go. We've rarely had to compromise on where we want to go. On two occasions, we were able to schedule trips with more than one week, back to back, in Great Britain - we took our parents. One trip was a week North of London at a beautiful country club, then a week in Cornwall. The other trip was a week in Wales then a 2 weeks in Scotland at a Hilton property. In all instances, we got our first choice of properties and size of unit - we used the ongoing search feature and had help from RCI travel agents. Of, course, as I mentioned above, we started planning over a year in advance. We have traded for vacations in San Diego area, various Florida locations, Las Vegas and Reno - in addition to our international travels. RCI also helped us schedule a cruise on Celebrity with the exact two-room configuration we needed to travel with our aging parents.

I'm not saying they are "perfect" or that there are never any glitches - of course there are. But all in all, we have been able to travel to places we've wanted to go, and to be able to afford at least a week there. Had we been staying at a 4 star hotel, we'd have paid more and would not be able to have the flexibilty of cooking our own meals when we wanted. The online reviews of resorts has been a great help in choosing good properties.

Timeshares are not for everyone. If you always plan at the last minute or don't have much flexibility, they may not be for you.

I am almost in tears

Are you kidding me?  As we sit at a supposed "gold crown" RCI resort that we traded for I can hardly believe it!  Our home resort is in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.  Its BEAUTIFUL...five star all the way.  Beautiful ocean view, fine restaurants, daily maid service, 400 workers for 1200 guests, spa, tennis, fitness..the works.  After 4 consecutive years we decided to trade for another location...which is one of the reasons bought and paid to join RCI in the first place...so we could "trade all over the world".  What a joke.  We did all the right things starting by calling and planning our vacation one year to the day in advance to try and book another "gold crown" resort...When nothing was available in the most desired locations like Hawaii, Lake Tahoe, Colorado, etc. we became desperate (since we were told we couldn't get our place back) and flat out asked where we could find a "gold crown, anytime, anywhere at all in the U.S."  When they could only name two resorts (Palm Springs in July) we were told of Crown Park Resort in Gatlinburg, TN.  Flying all the way from California to Tennessee to end up at this place is what has me practically in tears.  Having reviewed the "resort" online I had already tried to lower my expectations.  Since we booked the place a year ago it has changed from a Crown Park resort into a Holiday Inn Club Vacation & Resort.  I could handle it when we checked in that there were no bellhops, no opulence of any kind..but today I am told that for my one week stay there is no maid service AT ALL.  That trial size of Tide is so I can wash all the towels & wash and change the sheets myself.  Instead of two queen beds we have one king and a horrible foldout couch for my two teens 14 and 16 years old to share!  I asked for even a cot for one of them and they don't have any.  Thats just a snippet of the whole story.  We are MISERABLE at day two of our seven day stay :(  NEVER buy a timeshare and especially don't do any business with RCI!!!

Christy

Bad customer service

from Chicago

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

Their employee gave me a wrong information so I lost 50,000 points. Then I called the RCI to complain about it, they just kept transferring here to there. No one said sorry.

Terrible experience !!! Don't trust their words!!!

the Myan Palace, Cancun Mexico - sucks

from alamogordo NM

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

the beaches were horrible- rocky, seaweed every where, and the water was murky. and they advertise pictures of couples getting married there- no way !

the parking was horrible.
The place is literally in the middle of a thick jungle and you cant park outside your hotel rather they make you park in a gravell lot far away from your room, they shuttle bus you to your hotel,zig zagging all over the place so you have no idea where you are.
if you want to go for a drive in the evening, it is so hard to find your car and the attendents do not speak any English and they cant understand a word your saying !!

No English - the workers speak no English, very difficult to communicate. like where is my car ! and they don't know

the hotel
they designed the widows in the hotel hallway in such a way as to leave a two inch gap between the top and bottom pane which allows for mosquitos to fly in and out - and this "palace"
is located in the middle of a jungle ! I saw so many people walking around with huge mosquito bites

the rooms have no washer and dryers ,you have to drag your dirty laundry to some other building far away

the kitchen had ONE knife ! ONE measuring cup, no light over the sink , you could see if your dishes were washed, there was a tiny refridgerator

no hot tubs !

the front desk understood a little English

and some how the advertise that they won some RCI award 3 or 4 years in a row !! you have got to be kidding ! this place sucks and then they want to meet with you and talk about upgrading your time share - a meeting that is supposed to last only 45 min - they pressured us for 3 hours !!

this myan palace is awful I will never go back and we are looking to sell our time share with them !!

Same Rip-Off company, New Tactic

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

Same rip off company, new trick. Tell the world what a joke RCI has become and it's highly likely you'll find access to your online account restricted. I've posted repeatedly online warning about the tricks and absolute rip off tactic of the "new RCI." Each time I've reviewed or posted online regarding their practices. I was contacted by someone, I'm guessing actually a "bot," emailed me with a "we want to resolve this matter." Have no idea how they planned on giving me back my time, doesn't seem possible. In fact it's not. Now when I try to long on to use the last remaining weeks I find I have no access to my account. I called, was transferred to "tech support." They informed me my username and password are correct. Maybe but they don't work on any computer I own... or my friends own... or with any browser I know of.

So I call to try to use the phone system to use the weeks I have remaking, shockingly I was cut off after a long hold time. Give them a bad review and run the risk of losing whatever you have banked with them. Sounds like a reputable company to do bunnies with, right? Consider yourself warned- RCI waving good bye to your money is likely the best outcome, spending a week or two in a complete dump instead of the great beach vacation you planned is also very likely. Walking away a happy customer completely unlikely. Save yourself... Don't do business with this rip off company.

Buyer beware

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

Timeshares are not for everyone and I would highly recommend that you know what you are doing before you get involved. This has been a huge expensive disappointment for us. Exchanging through RCI sounds easy, however it is a nightmare. Their web site is confusing, slow, and difficult to use. I end up calling their customer service department (who are always extremely nice) but they are never really able to help me book the vacation from their web site. A resort shows available on the web site but it suddenly disappears when you try to book it. No one seems to know why The ridiculous part of all this, The last time I used this service I called the resort, yes they had units available and it ended up costing me less to book direct than pay their fees. For the most part the resorts we have been able to book through them are shabby and run down and in need of cleaning and repairs and it always ends up costing me more money. I tried to use this service last night. The unit I wanted showed available but would disappear if you tried to book it. I called the RCI vacation planners. They said it wasn’t available but they could find another unit. It ended up costing me (as usual) for different fees, however I was assured that this was a nicer resort.

RCI never lives up to promise

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

I have been a timeshare owner for many years and use my home resort. I was told by RCI when we joined them that I would be able to exchange my time for other resorts, air fare, and cruises. They could never deliver on any of those promises. I was able to purchase a cruise online cheaper. I even tried to use them as a basic travel agent and found their prices to be way above what I could purchase travel for. If you have never used RCI and they are trying to sell you on joining their club DON'T it is a complete waste of money.

If you want to travel!

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

I have stayed at RCI locations on multiple occasions, as my mother owns a few. They are always super great! The amenities are always good, having never been to one that doesn't have a lazy river in Florida, among other awesome amenities. They also have karaoke or other events during the week which is great to vary things up rather than sitting by the pool every night. The rooms are always spacious, and customer service is always super courteous and helpful!

Took act of Congress to get $20 back

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

On a stay in Weston, FL, we had to give them a $20 cash deposit for we were told would be a "free breakfast." But when we got to the "free breakfast" it turned out they wanted to sell us crap. Surprise! We immediately told them that we were intelligent and didn't want to buy anything and that we wanted our money back. They said they couldn't issue refund and that we'd have to go back to the registration building to get the money. When we went there they said they couldn't issue refund. And thus began a 2-mont journey of run-arounds, un-returned calls and fake 'the check's in the mail" notices. All over 20 freaking dollars!!!

P.S. The resort room was awful, too. The A/C didn't reach the bedroom, the queen bed was awful and we had to listen to the elevator running ALL NIGHT long.

Circling and circling and getting nowhere

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

RCI does all it can to make ordinary life impossible. If they respond at all to members, it's to send you around in circles. This story is about a specific problem, but it shows RCI's corporate culture. . . .

Just suppose that after years of using that timeshare you bought at a resort you really like, you're interested in vacationing somewhere else. Trouble is, since you bought your RCI membership you'd married and changed your name.

Since you don't want a hassle with the resort you're going to visit, you're finally going to change your name on your RCI membership, years after doing it everywhere else.

The RCI website says you do this by sending them an email. NOPE! But they won't tell you that. You have to figure it out by seeing that no name change happens.

So then you call them, and the agent says "There's a form to fill out online." NOPE! No such form, as you confirm by wasting an hour on the website and then using Live Chat.

So then you call them. This time the agent tells you you need a certified copy of your legal paperwork. When you say "I'm not taking a day off work to visit my safety deposit box for the paperwork, then paying to get certified copies! Who do you guys think you are, anyway, the IRS??" the agent says, "Then we're not changing your name."

Then you talk to the agent's supervisor, who says "Oh, we don't need legal paperwork. Just fax us a photocopy of your driver's license." You fax it. AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

Wait. Isn't this where I came in? With nothing happening? Wonder how much of my life will be wasted before I get this done. Maybe I just need to cancel my membership. After all, I do like my home resort, and I don't need RCI for that. . . .

RCI IS HORRIBLE

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

After paying yearly for a membership with RCI, I have never had luck dealing with them. After finding a problem on my upcoming vacation, and speaking with a supervisor I got nothing but yelled at. You would think they would try to keep customers, apparently, not important. I will never use them again!

RCI= Really Crooked Institution

Comments about RCI (Resort Condominiums International):

Last fall a pushy saleswoman convinced me of this supposedly fabulous opportunity to enjoy experiencing 4 of RCI's resorts in the Forida area. She gushed on and on about how wonderful and advantageous it would be since we are interested in a timeshare purchase in Fla. when my husband retires. Since his retirement date is uncertain, I was told not to worry, that I was in the very capable and highly professional hands of RCI. I paid close to $600 for a trip (not including airfare). I was told I had up to a year to book and even at the end of the year could extend the opportunity to a later date if needed. When I contacted them recently to inquire about the particulars of booking, I was told my trip had been cancelled in Dec. Surprise! I had never been advised that this could or would happen. I have rec'd no response to subsequent e-mails that I have sent. They are total crooks. Don't get involved with them.