Other Dog Foods:
Purina
Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food

Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (3)
    • Personal (3)

Perfect Puppy Food For Growing Healthy Pups

I have used Purina products for my adults on/off for a few years now, but my first experience with Puppy Chow was over a year ago. I've been breeding Beagles since 2005, we also hunt & occasionally show our hounds. Needless to say, I am VERY selective about the results a food produces. So, when I purchased Puppy Chow in a bind, I was amazed at the improvement in the condition of my bitch and 3 week old pups over their previous brand, Merrick. This was supposed to be something to hold them until I could get a better food, but the differences in health were so dramatic I chose to stick with Puppy Chow, and have done so ever since!

This was not just an ordinary litter of pups, either. Born a full week premature, this was a high maintenance, weak, slow to develop litter. One was hypoglycemic at birth and even after supplementation was having trouble maintaining blood sugar and body temperature. A pup so chilled like she was is bound for trouble later down the line. Their weight was fluctuating, most likely because of the chronic diarrhea I could not get rid of. Antibiotics, kaopectate - nothing was working long term. The mother's milk was drying up rapidly, I was adding all sorts of supplements but still, she could not produce enough milk. Her feces were never solid, always sticky or mucousy. Close to their second week, the pups developed scabs on their skin that had a metallic odor to them. I gave them medicated baths, but the scabs were worsening & bleeding. I was afraid of infection setting in :(

It was around this time that I tried Puppy Chow when the Merrick ran out.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I'd never have believed it, but within 2-3hrs of the dam's first meal of Purina, her milk literally doubled in supply! We noticed both weight gain/growth of the pups, and thus they began to develop a little faster than before. The stools of the bitch and pups firmed up to where no more medications were required. Those skin scabs on the pups cleared up in slightly over a week. While they were not developing at the same rate as a normal litter, the pups were eating well and developing at their own pace. I tried giving them some fresh meat to boost their strength but the scabs came back when I did so, and they clearly thrived so much better on Purina. Food plays such a huge role in health. I know these pups were supported very well by their diet and have used this feed for two more litters since then. Those pups grew so well, were just so healthy & active I literally had neighbors who saw my pups in the yard inquiring what we were feeding them & commenting how healthy they looked!

I've tried the holistic garbage, and most, if not all of them failed mierably in the results department. Purina makes an excellent product @ an affordable price. This is one of the top puppy foods available on the market, there is no reason to feel guilty about feeding this grocery store feed. It contains chelated minerals, DHA, high calorie levels and a controlled amount of fat which slows down growth to avoid rapid growth spurts. Excellent product, I highly recommend!

Be wary of this brand of pet food...

I have read a few good reviews - and hundreds more terrible reviews on this brand on dog food and I will also share my own.  Please avoid giving this brand to your dog as it causes vomiting and sometimes explosive diarrhoea.  My puppy was a personal example and I will NOT be giving this food to my dog ever again!

Puppies love it!

from Grove City PA

About Me Enthusiast

Pros

• Sharp Tones & Colors

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have been feeding Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food to pups for years. I selectively breed and raise Purebred miniature poodle puppies. Every litter I have fed Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food. It is the perfect food to start them out on size and texture is important when weening a small puppy. Moistened Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food is perfect for them to begin eating. Once the wet diet is tolerated the dry diet process begins and the size & texture is just right for them to chew and swallow. Once the pups are ready for their new homes with a loving furever family, Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food is easy for them to find and keep them on.

• Personal

My furbabies only eat Purina.

from Bogalusa, Louisiana

About Me Professional

Pros

• Excellent Price
      • Great Nutrition
      • Healthy Choice

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have 5 furbabies in our home and Purina Puppy Chow is their favorite. We have tried other brands but my babies wasn't completely satisfied.

• Personal

I use this for my puppies

from Sc

About Me Casual User

Pros

• Durable
          • Professional Finish/Quality
          • Sharp Tones & Colors

• Color Photos

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have used this product with all my puppies and they all love this brand the best, never had any problems with my puppies eating it I have a mailtpoo, pit bull and a jack Russell and they all love this product.

Our puppy loves it

from Dallas,TX

About Me Commuter

Pros

• Pretty affordable

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

When we got our puppy Koko, we tried several puppy foods. Some she just would not eat and gave her diarrhea. It was such a waste of money. We tried Puppy Chow and she ate it without hesitation. We noticed she took more liking to it then the other brands. It has s variety of flavors and texture for puppies. She has regular bowel movements and enjoys it. Her little tail wags back and forth everytime we feed her. We buy the big bag for less than $25. It's very affordable and the bag lasts us over a month. You can't go wrong with this. Plus, Purina has a good reputation and has never disappointed. She seems to really like it and we have stuck with it. Why change when our Lil Koko seems happy with it?

Used for years

from howe,ok

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
                • Good Value
                • Nutritional

• Puppies

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have used this product for years for puppies and older dogs. They love it and are always healthy. Wouldn't use anything else.

Bad food for dogs

from NA

Pros

Cons

• Dog Doesn't Like It
                    • Unhealthy

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food was purchased last year by me as the price was good and the ingredients too were good enough for my puppy dog who was 6 months old. When I fed him with this food, he started crying after few hours and his potty was abnormally hard. I fed him the second time and he kept barking till I stopped and I had to throw the food. I then noticed that it was a really bad choice to feed him with Puppy Chow and I had wasted all my money buying a bigger packed of this brand. I tried feeding another puppy of my building with this food thinking it might be food for him as he is healthy but he too started throwing away the food and fell sick after having just 2 meals. I had to find out what was wrong with this meal as the brand is not that bad and my friends told me that it contains corn and hence dogs hate this food. I then changed the food and decided to never buy any dog food that contains corn as dogs prefer meat rather than corn.

Good dog food

from Springfield MA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
                      • Easy To Digest
                      • Improves Coat
                      • Tasty

Cons

• Dog Doesn't Like It
                      • Expensive

• Puppies
                      • Smaller Dogs

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I feed my dog this everyday he loves it and can eat it all day if I let him. I feed it to him once in the morning and once at night. He drives me crazy for me after he finish it. It keeps his coat nice and soft. I know that he is really enjoying the food. I buy at least 2 bags when I get it cause he eats a lot and enjoys it very much. I tell everybody I know how has a dog to go out and buy it. It is popular to. I know a lot of dogs will like it.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

The better of affordable dog food.

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

This obviously isn't going to be the most nutritious dry food for puppies you are going to find around, but according to my vet, out of all of the cheeper brands of dog food this is one of the best, and they recommend it to those who want to give their dog the best they can but for a more affordable price then some are able to spend. This is the food that I have given to all of my puppies and when they were old enough I switched them to this brand of dog chow. Excluding one dog who had food allergies, none of them have had any problems with sickness or nutrition problems from eating this food.

Quality of Ingredients
                      There is a little bit more corn then what I would consider ideal for a dry puppy food, but the second ingredient on this list being a meat product is a good sign that it is still a better choice then others in the market, and this keeps the price of the product more affordable.

Flavor Selection
                      Only one flavor, though it is meant for puppies.

2 Happy Puppies

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

We used the Purina Puppy Chow on both of our dogs when they were puppies and never had any problems with it. Both are Labrador mix breeds from the pound that we adopted so we did not know if they had any health concerns but neither had any problems with this dry food. This band is relatively cheap and regular coupons can be found in a variety of locations from the newspaper, online coupon catalog or even on the bag itself or inside it from purchase. This food includes a couple different flavors within the bag but not as flavor choices separately that you can choose. It is also safe to have around little ones. My daughter likes to copy the dogs regularly and has put the dog food in her mouth on more than one occasion ans has never gotten sick from it. The pieces are also small enough to accommodate the mouths of small breed puppies or large breed which is nice because one of our dogs is mixed with great dane the other something much smaller so they have a decent size difference.

Great food fofr puppies

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

This is the dog food that we chose and fed our lab when he was a puppy. He loved this food and would eat it all up when we put it in his bowl. The ingredients are good quality and the price is really great for what you get. The flavor brand is pretty normal for the puppy dog, as I looked at other brands and choices of dog foods. Our family and friends had recommended this brand and product to us when we first got our dog. They had all used it for their dogs, so we thought we would give it a try. Now we highly recommend this to our friends that get a puppy, and I would highly recommend it to anyone that has a puppy or is getting a puppy. The Purina brand is great, and our lab absolutely loved this when we gave it to him.

Quality of Ingredients
                      The quality of ingredients is great in the brand dog food.

Flavor Selection
                      The flavor selection is pretty normal, from what I saw in selection of this brand and other brand dog foods.