Other Dog Foods:
Purina
Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food

Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food

Pros

• Dog likes it (7)
  • Good value (7)
  • Nutritional (4)
  • Tasty (4)
  • Easy to digest (3)

Cons

• Dog doesn't like it (3)

• Puppies (7)
  • Smaller dogs (5)
    • Quality of Ingredients:
    • Flavor Selection:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (9)
    • Personal (3)

Perfect Puppy Food For Growing Healthy Pups

I have used Purina products for my adults on/off for a few years now, but my first experience with Puppy Chow was over a year ago. I've been breeding Beagles since 2005, we also hunt & occasionally show our hounds. Needless to say, I am VERY selective about the results a food produces. So, when I purchased Puppy Chow in a bind, I was amazed at the improvement in the condition of my bitch and 3 week old pups over their previous brand, Merrick. This was supposed to be something to hold them until I could get a better food, but the differences in health were so dramatic I chose to stick with Puppy Chow, and have done so ever since!

This was not just an ordinary litter of pups, either. Born a full week premature, this was a high maintenance, weak, slow to develop litter. One was hypoglycemic at birth and even after supplementation was having trouble maintaining blood sugar and body temperature. A pup so chilled like she was is bound for trouble later down the line. Their weight was fluctuating, most likely because of the chronic diarrhea I could not get rid of. Antibiotics, kaopectate - nothing was working long term. The mother's milk was drying up rapidly, I was adding all sorts of supplements but still, she could not produce enough milk. Her feces were never solid, always sticky or mucousy. Close to their second week, the pups developed scabs on their skin that had a metallic odor to them. I gave them medicated baths, but the scabs were worsening & bleeding. I was afraid of infection setting in :(

It was around this time that I tried Puppy Chow when the Merrick ran out.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I'd never have believed it, but within 2-3hrs of the dam's first meal of Purina, her milk literally doubled in supply! We noticed both weight gain/growth of the pups, and thus they began to develop a little faster than before. The stools of the bitch and pups firmed up to where no more medications were required. Those skin scabs on the pups cleared up in slightly over a week. While they were not developing at the same rate as a normal litter, the pups were eating well and developing at their own pace. I tried giving them some fresh meat to boost their strength but the scabs came back when I did so, and they clearly thrived so much better on Purina. Food plays such a huge role in health. I know these pups were supported very well by their diet and have used this feed for two more litters since then. Those pups grew so well, were just so healthy & active I literally had neighbors who saw my pups in the yard inquiring what we were feeding them & commenting how healthy they looked!

I've tried the holistic garbage, and most, if not all of them failed mierably in the results department. Purina makes an excellent product @ an affordable price. This is one of the top puppy foods available on the market, there is no reason to feel guilty about feeding this grocery store feed. It contains chelated minerals, DHA, high calorie levels and a controlled amount of fat which slows down growth to avoid rapid growth spurts. Excellent product, I highly recommend!

Be wary of this brand of pet food...

I have read a few good reviews - and hundreds more terrible reviews on this brand on dog food and I will also share my own.  Please avoid giving this brand to your dog as it causes vomiting and sometimes explosive diarrhoea.  My puppy was a personal example and I will NOT be giving this food to my dog ever again!

My dogs favorite

from Lawrenceburg Indiana

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Good Value
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

• Active Dogs
    • Older Dogs
    • Special Needs

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

My dog is elderly and this dog food is a little soft and he was able to chew it with no problem with his bad teeth. The best for puppies and older dogs.

Love this dog food

from Eva al

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
    • Good Value
    • Nutritional

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

My puppy loved this so i highly recommend it to everyone!

Tried and true

from Chillicothe, Ohio

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
      • Good Value
      • Tasty

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

We are a Purina loving household. We've always used what's tried and true and for us and our experience it's Purina ! Our pups seem to really like puppy chow and our adult dog does great on the dog chow. Not only do the dogs like it but so do the humans as it's actually a great value too! Win win!

Puppy hated it

from Clarksville, Tn

About Me New Owner

Pros

• Good Value

Cons

• Dog Doesn't Like It

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

My puppy wouldnt eat it at all. I tried wetting it and mixing in other things and she didnt care for it at all

Best puppy food money can buy.

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
        • Easy To Digest
        • Good Value
        • Improves Coat
        • Nutritional

• Active Dogs

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have owned several dogs over the years and have tried several different brands and variations of dog food over the years, however Purina puppy chow is by far my favorite of the puppy foods I have tried. With a pitbull puppy I wanted a food that would have enough protein, and nutrition for her as she develops and grows. I looked at several different brands before deciding that Purina Puppy Chow was not only the best for her but it was the best deal as well.

The food is filling, she doesn't get bad breath after eating it and it seems to keep her full for a long lasting time. It gives her energy and best of all doesn't cost too much.

I can't think of any cons with this food. It's the best puppy formulated dog food I have ever purchased.

We always buy Purina.

from Grand Rapids Michigan

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
          • Good Value
          • Tasty

Cons

• Causes Irritation
          • Unhealthy

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have always used Purina products for my pets. Currently I have a twelve year old chocolate Labrador retriever dog, a four year old yellow Labrador retriever dog and a two year old domestic short hair cat. The cat has always been Purina cat chow and has maintained a health weight, good health and great coat. He seems to enjoy the food and his litter does not smell nearly as bad as it does when we have tried other foods. Both dogs have been on it since puppies. I swear the puppy chow is like miracle grow! It does wonders. It helps them grow at a good, steady, healthy rate. We do struggle with the adult foods however. Unfortunately, it irritates my older dogs ears. He has never been tested for food allergies, but it's apparent that he has some. As for the yellow Labrador retriever though, he loves this food and it works great for him. He's healthy, full of energy and beautiful. I do wish they would start making it in re sealable bags as the food seems stale near the end of the bag. Over all, a great food at a great price. I will continue to buy it and wound likely recommend it.

I will never buy this food again

from Indiana

Pros

Cons

• Caused diarrhea
              • Hard to Digest

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I gave my puppy a small bag of purina puppy chow. She seemed to like it and was growing and gaining weight.next time I bought a bigger bag that said "bonus" on top. It had more in it. I tried it off and on for ten days. She had numerous bowel movements over which she seemed to have no control. After ten days of cleaning up after her , daily, I tried a grain free food. No more problems. She is a black lab.not saying your dog would have the same reaction, but my vet said that grains, corn byproducts and corn gluten are hard for dogs to digest. Especially puppies. Having paid this much for a puppy, I don't want to feed her food that makes her sick and ruins my floors!.

Puppies love it!

from Grove City PA

About Me Enthusiast

Pros

• Sharp Tones & Colors

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have been feeding Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food to pups for years. I selectively breed and raise Purebred miniature poodle puppies. Every litter I have fed Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food. It is the perfect food to start them out on size and texture is important when weening a small puppy. Moistened Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food is perfect for them to begin eating. Once the wet diet is tolerated the dry diet process begins and the size & texture is just right for them to chew and swallow. Once the pups are ready for their new homes with a loving furever family, Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food is easy for them to find and keep them on.

• Personal

My furbabies only eat Purina.

from Bogalusa, Louisiana

About Me Professional

Pros

• Excellent Price
                    • Great Nutrition
                    • Healthy Choice

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have 5 furbabies in our home and Purina Puppy Chow is their favorite. We have tried other brands but my babies wasn't completely satisfied.

• Personal

I use this for my puppies

from Sc

About Me Casual User

Pros

• Durable
                        • Professional Finish/Quality
                        • Sharp Tones & Colors

• Color Photos

Comments about Purina Puppy Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have used this product with all my puppies and they all love this brand the best, never had any problems with my puppies eating it I have a mailtpoo, pit bull and a jack Russell and they all love this product.