Other Dog Foods:

Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

A great, lower priced alternative

We have had many, many dogs over the years and are now involved in greyhound rescue. We have 3 greyhounds, one shepherd mix, and at least one foster dog.We had fed IAMS products for over 20 years. After the contaminated-pet-food scandals, I started to research pet foods, and was dismayed to find that the IAMS I was feeding was not the same as it had been in the past, and was mass produced with contaminated foods. And I was no longer happy with the condition of my dogs' coats.I began to search around for alternatives. For awhile, I paid a ton for a boutique food. I didn't like what it did to my dogs! But I've found that ProPlan has the balance of nutrients I'm looking for, at a reasonable cost. And the dogs are thriving on it...which is the most important thing.Am I perfectly content? No...that would only happen if I were 100% sure of exactly what went into a food (in other words, if I could prepare it myself). But I'm as happy as I've been with a dog food.

NOT FOR MY DOGS

My vet had started carrying Purina Pro Plan dog foods instead of Science Diet, so I figured it must be really good. Originally my dogs had been eating Nutro and were maintaining there weight and health with no problems. I purchased the Purina Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice and it looks very good. It has the typical look of dry dog food, but also has mixed in it, shredded chicken pieces. My dogs really liked it, and I thought all is well, but within a week I begin to find vomited food in the yard and having 4 large dogs, I wasn't sure who had vomited, so I begin watching and realized that 2 of my 4 dogs were vomiting the food after eating. I went online and did a little research and found others who were complaining of the same problem. I think that the shredded chicken is the problem. It has a chewy, rubbery feel to it and I think they had a hard time digesting it. So I went back to feeding my Nutro and not any of my dogs have vomited since.

Great dog food

from Columbus GA

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

I have previously and still do purchase this Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food for my dog and I must say she really does like it. She is a large dog so this is the perfect dog food for her. Its not too little but not too large either it is a perfect bite size dog food. I do sometimes add a little water to it to make it easier for her to chew. She really does love this Purina dog food. I have raised her on Purina alone and I have to say that after eight years she still enjoys it. I know that this product is very nutritious and good for her. I trust this product and no that it is safe for her to eat. I know she has a healthy diet when she eats this. I know that this is not the most expensive dog food but it is a high quality dog food and I know it has high quality ingredients that will help her to live a longer healthier life. Another good thing about this Purina One Plan dog food is that there is a different variety of flavors and options to choose from so she never gets tired of it. This dog food is also very reasonably prices so it is affordable for almost all dog owners. Look for coupons also and hey will help more. I would certainly recommend this to all dog owners/lovers.

Quality of Ingredients
I have found that all of the Purina Dog and Puppy food products have the top quality of ingredients.

NOT FOR MY DOGS

from Griffin, GA

Increase water intake!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

I purchased Purina Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice for my dog to see if she would take a liking to it. My first impressions of this food is that it looked very similar to Chex Mix, but it smelled like highly processed dog food. I gave my dog a little over a scoop and she proceeded to dive in to the bowl after taking a couple sniffs. Initially she didn't eat the food out of the bowl the first couple of chews. She would take a mouth full and dump it on the floor then consume it. She did this for a couple of minutes and after she became familiar with the food she began to eat it directly out of the bowl. I fed her this food for a week and didn't notice any change in her behavior, coat, and health, but I noticed a change in stool size. Despite feeding her a generous amount her stool production appeared on the low side. A hour walk would normally produce 2-3 big doggy bags with other foods, but with Purina Pro it made 2 small bags of waste. The amount didn't bother me, but it appeared to be very difficult for my dog to produce. After I doubled her water intake it greatly improved her bowel movements. I didn't continue to use Purina Pro, but I would buy it again if the opportunity presented itself.

Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food is a new favorite in our house

from Pennsylvania

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

After buying many other much more expensive dog food brands, I discovered Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food. I checked this food out on the dog food adviser website and found out that it is a balanced, above average brand. Because it has the Purina name, many people are afraid to try this food but I have been very pleased (and my dog as well). He tends to get diarrhea and this food worked wonders with his sensitive system.

Quality of Ingredients
Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food is protein based and contains the same quality ingredients as many higher priced brands. It provides a balanced diet for my dog without paying more for his food than I do my own! His coat is shiny, he is a perfect weight and is healthy and happy with this food.

Flavor Selection
There are several flavors available but having a large dog who eats anything, I just grab any bag of this brand and take it home. I've never found one yet that he doesn't like or eat.

• Flavor Selection:

Perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

We have an older Weimaraner with a sensitive stomach. We tried several different brands, but she continued to have trouble with diarrhea. Once we began using Purina Pro Plan, her diarrhea stopped and she is now thriving after two years of being on it. I have asked two different veterinarians what they feed their dogs, and they both told me they feed them Purina Pro Plan. That made me feel even better about my choice.

Quality of Ingredients
We buy the Adult Large Breed 6+ Purina Pro Plan and are very happy that the first ingredient is chicken. We wanted a dog food that has protein as the main ingredient. We also like that Omega 3 is added along with glucosamine. We feel confident that our dog is getting everything she needs to be healthy. I do not recommend going by the feeding recommendations on the package unless you have a very active dog.

Flavor Selection
There are many different flavors of Purina Pro Plan and many different kinds for each stage of your dog's life.

• Flavor Selection:

One of the very few foods my sensitive-stomach pooch likes.

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

I have a (now) 13-month old Golden Retriever who has had a super sensitive stomach since day one. For the last 6 months or so I had her on a specialty Duck and Oatmeal formula from her vet's office that was costing me a fortune, and which she still seemed to have some trouble digesting at times. After researching other options online, I found this food recommended repeatedly on a Golden Retriever Forum. Gave it a shot and, so far so good. My dog likes the food and she hasn't had ANY of her usual upset tummy reactions. I'm also happy that it's a little bit less expensive than what I was spending on her other food.

Quality of Ingredients
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the ingredients listed on the packaging for the kibble. Salmon is the first (main) ingredient, and all else appear to be natural. My pooch really likes rice and oatmeal, which are also ingredients included, as well as Omega-6 fatty acids, and no artificial colors or flavors. No corn, wheat or soy.

Flavor Selection
The sensitive stomach formula/kibble only comes in one flavor, which is salmon (as salmon is the main ingredient). My dog seems to like it and hasn't resisted or turned her nose up since day one with this food. I know there are other flavor variations by this line (quite a few actually), but just the one flavor for the sensitive skin and stomach.

• Flavor Selection:

Great dog food for the picky eaters!

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

I bought dog food after dog food and my two year old medium sized dog would not eat any of it! I received a coupon for this brand and decided to try it. She immediately ate it all and looked at me for more! It is more on the expensive side but it is a lot better than the cheaper dog foods. I noticed an increase in energy in her and her coat looks a lot shinier. I would suggest finding a coupon jfirst if you want to try it for your dog.

Quality of Ingredients
This is a pretty good quality of dog food. It doesn't crumble or get soggy and gross if the dog knocks water over it (or at least a small amount of water) it doesn't smell bad and really does contains ingredients for a healthier dog.

Flavor Selection
My dog 'a favorite is the lamb and I think it is paired with rice. She absolutely loves it and has a fit at lunch time. She also likes the chicken flavor but the lamb is definitely number one in her book! We haven't tried any of the other flavors.

• Flavor Selection:

Large Breed Brand from Purina One works for our dogs!

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

Much like the other flavors that Purina One brings in their Pro Plan flavors, this is another one that is great for dogs with sensitive stomachs. We tried very many different brands before we came across a different Pro Plan dog food. After a few months of trying with that one we wanted to see how the other flavors were. This was the 2nd one we bought and it worked just as nicely as the others. Our two collies absolutely love the Pro Plan dog food more then any other dog food we've tried.

The only thing that may turn people away is of course the price, but the price of the food is worth it so much! We've tried other cheaper brands for sensitive dogs and they just didn't work as well as the Pro Plan does. So if you have a dog with a sensitive stomach or is allergic to a possible ingredient found in most other dog foods, then try the pro plan because it really does make every cent worth it.

my girls love Proplan

from Matthews, NC

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

Purina Proplan has been wonderful for my dogs.  I have a 2 year old doberman mix named Nova.  She has been on Proplan since I brought her home at 12 weeks.  Started her on Large breed puppy.  now she is on large breed adult.  She has the most beautiful coat I have ever seen on any dobie.  My 7 year old cocker named tootsie used to be on Iams but when I  started the puppy on Proplan i switched her over too. She is on the senior she has done great on it also.  Same as everyone else I wish coupons were more available.  But I also stock up when it goes on sale.  Thanks for a great product.   edie

My dogs love Pro Plan

from Beachwood, NJ

Comments about Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food:

My dogs love Pro Plan dog food. I have tried other brands to give them a little variety but they would eat for a while and then just look at me as if to say "Why did you take our Pro Plan away?" I have brough back their favorite dog food and do mix it from time to time with their canned food. They enjoy it either plain or with wet mixed in. The only food for my 2 babies