Other Dog Foods:

Purina One for Dogs - Various Types

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

Purina One dog food is great!

I have 3 dogs, all mixed breeds, the oldest being 9 years old. One is large, (German Shepperd mix), one is medium (hound mix) and one is small (Jack Russel mix). I have only ever fed them Purina one and they are very healthy. Some things I like about this food: it is easy to find (all the stores sell it), and I am able to get the large 45 pound bag at BJ's which saves me some money. I like that the first ingredient is meat, I buy the lamb and rice and the first ingredient is lamb. It does have grain (rice) and corn in it and I don't really think dogs need that but because I have 3 dogs I can not afford to buy a super expensive dog food. (I buy one bag every 30 days like clockwork). This dog food is not top of the line super expensive. It is somewhere in the middle of top of the line and cheap but I think it is healthy and I feel good feeding this to my dogs and they seem to enjoy it. It has 2 types of chucks in it, regular food and these meaty chunks which they really enjoy, it seems to be a softer meat piece, and my little dog always eats all of those first before eating the other pieces. I will continue to buy this dog food as it seems to keep my dogs very healthy.

Dog food packed with fillers, not meat

When we rescued our pit bull mix Jake from being euthanized, we bought Purina One Large Breed Puppy formula because it worked fine for our previous dog.  By the time we had Jake in our home for a month, he was scratching himself on his legs a lot and started chewing on the bottom of his paws.  We had no problems with Jake eating the food, he loved it and was always excited about meal time.  After having Jake for two months, he was developing scabs on the backs of his front legs from scratching himself so much.  We could also see white thickening of the skin around these legs.  He started losing more hair as well.  We brought him to the vet to see what she recommended.  She thought it might be a food allergy and recommended we change his food to another meat source.  This started my research on dog food and how little a lot of people know about them.  Purina One is full of corn, which is not good for dogs at all!  It also has fillers that bulk up the dog food but don't add nutrition for your dog.  It might be that your dog seems fine on Purina One, but there are a lot of dogs that are sensitive to the junk they put in supermarket dog foods.  If his skin or stomach seem sensitive it just might be his food!  We have since switched from Purina One to AvoDerm.

Our dog likes it and it's not a bad price for what you get

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

We started our dog on this six years ago when we got him. He always ate it well, and it had a good amount of meat in it. A few months back money got tight, and one of the places we thought we could save was dog food. We switched him to a significantly cheaper brand. At firsts there was no difference. Our dog ate the new food without problems, but over a few months, we noticed a stink to his breath that wasn't there beforep and plaque build up on his teeth. We switched him back to Purina One and his breath and teeth cleared up.
My only complaint about Purina One is that they seem to be cutting back on the amount of meat in the product. It looks to me like there is a lot less meat in there than there was a few years back. Our dog still enjoys it, so we're sticking with it. I think it's a good middle of the road dog food. It isn't the cheapest. I think you get a quality food for the price. Plus I've even found a few coupons for it lately.

• Flavor Selection:

very good all around food

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

I raise and breed show dogs and have tried probably every food on the market- this food has fit my needs the best of any other.

Quality of Ingredients
I would love to see this food be grain free. I have a couple that react to the corn in this formula.

Flavor Selection
I haven't had a dog turn their nose up to it yet!

• Flavor Selection:

The best dog food on earth !!!!

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

I use to buy Alpo because I thought thats what my dogs liked, but I had to keep adding human food to make them eat the Alpo. I knew this was not a good idea so I started looking for something else. I ran out of Alpo and had to borrow dog food from my friend. She gave me Purina One with lamb and rice. I didn't have any chose so I feed it to them . I could not believe it......they loved it.... and I did mot have to add any human food. Plus its alot healthier for my dogs. I like what they put in their dog food. I will continue to buy this brand. Very satisfied babies. Both of my animals are old. One is 10 and the other is 17 years old. I noticed when I started feeding them Purina One they quite acting like they were hungry all the time. So Alpo was not satisfying to them. If you watch your dogs they will tell you what they want. Great food. So instead of wasteing your money just go ahead and buy the best. Purina One is the best.

• Flavor Selection:

quality product in many varities

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

Chances are you will find a Purina One that is perfect for your dog. I had a dog that needed a healthy weight blend and I switched her to this and had excellent results as well as a weight loss. she enjoyed the taste and I enjoyed the results. She seemed satisfied and did not seem to be missing anything after we took her off her old brand. You are going to pay a premium price for this brand but for the results that I had I thought that it was worth it. I also used the small dog variety for my other dog and have had good results with that as well. I have trusted Purina for 10 years now and I have not had a reason to look elsewhere for my dog food needs.

Quality of Ingredients
I think that Purina cares about what actually goes into your pet. I feel that they do their research and really provide the best product that they can.

Flavor Selection
Excellent varieties and flavor combos. Sensitive stomachs, large breeds, small breeds, healthy weight, and many more.

• Flavor Selection:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

Purina was the dog food my Vet recommended above all others. I have a Chewawa/Jack Russell and she has done will with the Purina One dry, mixed with a tablespoon of the Purina can food. She loves chicken and this seems to satify her appitite and she is much healthier than when she was feed Pedigree. From what my Vet has taught me (this is my first pet) most dog foods are high in fat content which is not good. For my dog, she was adopted from a shelter when she was just over a year old and had been badly abused. This past Christmas Eve she was hospitalized with parvo and I very nearly lost her. She recovered quickly after treatment but her digestive system was greatly affected and this is when the Vet strongly encouraged me to try and stay away from food high in fat content. Now my little dog has more energy than I could have ever imagined and she will run in yard much faster than a rabbit could!

Flavor Selection
My dog is partial to the Chicken flavored dry and can. The can dog food she perfers the gravy style rather than the ground-up.

• Flavor Selection:

Purina One dog food is great!

Dogs love it

from Stillwater, OK

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

I am always looking for a good nutritious food for my dogs. I bought some really expensive brands until my vet and my others friends said their vets didn't buy into the pricey food and suggest Purina and other less expensive foods. I bought the Purina One smart blend. They love the food plus one dog loves the little meaty pieces the best. I can afford this food and know they are being feed properly.

my st. bernard loves it

from Muncie, IN

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

I have a 20 month old St Bernard who is a very finicky eater.  We have found that Purina One with lamb & rice is a great dog food for her.  It is full of vitamins & minerals & she eats it because she likes it.  It appears to be a bit more oily than others & maybe that is why she likes it.  Also I have found that she poops less eating this dog food

Stinky dog syndrome

from Eagle, ID

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

We fed our dog Purina One - various blends - because we thought it would be better for him. Turns out he developed "stinky dog syndrome". After several vet appointments and trying lots of different cures we realized that we needed to change his food. We switched to a dry food that doesn't contain any wheat or corn. He is so much better now.

works for us

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Purina One for Dogs - Various Types:

we have been using Pro Plan sensitive stomach & skin formula for over a year now. before we started usoing it, my dog had severe skin problems, such that we would have to take himn to the veternarian and give him anti-biotics to cure his infections. we have had no problems since we have started feeding him Pro Plan sensitive stomach & skin formula. it is fairly reasonably priced for the quality, however, the larger (40 pound) size is not available at Petsmart; it is available at Petco.