Other Cat Foods:

Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula

Pros

Cons

Purina One Special Care has improved my relationship with my cat

My husband and I rescued two grey kittens a year and a half ago; when we rescued them, one had a severe eye infection and the other had a hole in his heart. They had several vet visits and we soon found that due to their size (they were both smaller than average) and health issues we were going to have to put them on a special diet. We placed them on Purina's Pro Plan for kittens, and as they gained weight and began to get healthy we put them on regular Purina Kitten Chow. They seemed to like it.

When we began to switch them to an adult cat food after their first year we kept them with Purina. Joe (the earlier eye infection kitten) began to have horrible gas and he would vomit and cough up hairballs frequently. Our vet told us it was due to the change in the food, so we began to wean him slowly. The vomiting didn't stop. He was on regular Purina food at the time, and so we switched him to Purina One Indoor variety. The vomiting got better, but the hairballs seemed to get worse. We switched him to Purina One Special Care Hairball, and both the vomiting and the hairball issues began to subside. His coat has more shine, and he seems to have a less irritable system. This has greatly increased my affection for Joe-- not cleaning up cat vomit and hairballs in 2-3 pairs of shoes (no kidding) has made my life more pleasant!

Sugar lays some stink bombs with this - bad news around here.

I know Purina One has a good reputation for making healthy cat foods, so I thought I'd get a bag of Purina One Special Care Hairball. I generally buy the Meow Mix hairball....Read complete review

My cat is picky, and he will really carry on if he does not like the food. He typically will not eat anything that has a fish base though he will eat bites of real fish. Sugar also tends to turn up his nose at most of the canned foods, so that leaves me looking at dry cat foods. That's good in a way, since canned cat foods stink. Some aren't as bad as others, but generally creamed cat food is gross.

Sugar has long hair, and he is a super cleaner. He is always working at that. He has not rubbed off on my boys in the hygiene department. They are messy. The cat is very neat. Since Sugar is so often primping, he must ingest a lot of hair. That means hairballs. I never heard of these before I had this huge, hairy cat. I thought they were poo to start with, but that did not seem to fit his personality and didn't look quite like poo. I did some reading and figured out what those packages are. Hairballs. They are not too special to see when I come home, so I decided I better buy hairball control food and hope.

Meow Mix has been working fine, but I got this idea to get the Purina One with the great reputation they enjoy. I won't buy it again though, because Sugar literally lays some stink bombs when eating this food. These are bad. Really bad.

Sugar ate Purina One Hairball for three or four days, and his stools just knocked me down. Well no, they didn't. What really happened is that I'd smell that smell, grab the kitty litter box and run for the door. The last time I didn't make it and threw up on top of the smelly poo in the box. That was a bad hairball (not) day for sure. Cleaning the box is not much fun anyway, but add stink bombs and throw up, and you can see the problem.

Purina One Hairball may be a good balanced cat food and may prevent hairballs. I guess I won't find out, because I made an emergency trip to pick up more Meow Mix. I can't handle waking up first thing or coming home from work and dealing with cat poo that is so smelly that I have to try to hold my breath and run for the door and then maybe not make it.

I should also mention perhaps that Sugar runs around 20 pounds, so he's about twice as big as average cats and his poos match the size. Smell did too with Purina One.

Better luck for everyone else with this one I hope.

It really helps with hairballs

from Eagle River, AK

Verified Reviewer

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula cat food has been a real blessing for our angora cat. She is a fussy eater, but she really likes this cat food.

She has VERY long fur and she licks herself all the time. She was throwing up fur balls a few times a week, and I was really starting to get scared that she may end up at the Vets office due to this problem.

Since my adult cat has been on this cat food, her hair ball problem has been greatly reduced. I won't say she never throws them up, but the difference is quite amazing.

My cats coat is nice and shiny, but she still does shed an awful lot. Not sure if there is anything I can do about that. I am very thankful I gave Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula a try.

• Was this a gift?:

Finally

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

I have 2 cats, one of which vomits constantly. He usually vomits at least one or two times a day. We have switched foods several times to find one that helps him not vomit or at least lessens the stains. We have numerous carpet stains--some are actually red- from other cat foods. The other stains, although not red, will still not come out of the carpets. We have scrubbed, steam cleaned, and used stain removal products, but they still remain. We have FINALLY found the one cat food that helps. Our cat now vomits only occasionally-SO much less than "normal". This cat food also seems to stain less. It is mostly easy to remove the stains without much elbow grease or pulling out the steam cleaner. Both of the cats seem to enjoy the flavor. They both seem to appear from nowhere when I pour this food into their bowl. One even jumps on the counter if he hears the bag. I just wish there were more flavor options available so that my cats could have more flavor variety while still eating the same food.

Great for Reducing Hairballs

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

I have both a short-hair and medium-hair cat. Purina One Special Care Hairball Formula greatly reduces the frequency of hair balls by both cats. My cats love the taste.

Flavor Selection
I wish Purina offered several different flavors of Hairball Formula cat food.

Made a difference

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

I can say this cat food works. My cat is happy with it and I just don't want to go changing his food at this point. He seems to really enjoy it and it has cut down a whole lot on his spitting up hairballs, so I think it's great!

Quality of Ingredients
This is probably the one concern I have. I hear a lot about ingredients these days. I would prefer this food not to have some of the fillers it has.

Flavor Selection
My cat seems to like any and all flavors and there's a pretty good range of flavors.

Easy on his stomach

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

My boyfriends cat always seems to be throwing up hairballs even though he is brushed almost every day. He seems to always do this a while after he eats and although I can clean up the mess with no problem , my boyfriend almost dies when he has too. I bought this cat food for him and figured we had nothing to lose. Our cat likes other Puring cat foods and he liked this one as well, it has good ingredients and seems to be more gentle on his stomach. He has been eating it for about a week now and so far it does seem like he is throwing up less than before. He likes the flavor and gobbles it right down. I would recommend this for cats with sensitive stomachs as well as hair ball issues. It does not cost any more than other Purina or name brand cat foods and is a nice size bag. He seems to really enjoy the food and so far he has not been picky about eating it like he is with some cat foods. I recommend this food for your sensitive or hair ball issue cat.

Wonderful

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

I have two cats and they both love this food! They used to get occasional hairballs, but since switching them to this food, neither have had one since! And even better, it's very reasonably priced!

Not full of fillers!

Flavor Selection
As stated above, my cats both love how this food tastes. I have to put the bag in the closet right when I bring it home or else they'll tear it open!

Not very tasty?

from Ann Arbor MI

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

My cats have been eating this food for most of their adult life, as I thought it was a very high quality food. However, now they are starting to not even eat it anymore. If their bowl is full of food, they will come to me and meow, expecting me to give them some of what I'm eating. I think this food is probably a little tasteless, and that's why they're doing this. I'm sure not all cats have the same taste, however, and I know this is a good brand. It does seem to help with stomachs, though, as my cats haven't thrown up or gotten a hairball since they've been eating this food.

Quality of Ingredients
Not as many preservatives as some other cat food brands, which makes me feel better about feeding it to my purebreds. The ingredients that are used seem to be pretty good for cats and I think it's healthy for them, so I will continue buying it in the future.

Flavor Selection
Not as many flavors as I would like, but they seem to have a few good ones. Again, I don't think my cats like this food.

My cats look so healthy and happy with Purina ONE

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

I've been feeding both of my cats Purina ONE since they were kittens and they both maintain healthy weights, are active, happy, and have wonderful coats. My younger cat is long hair and for a time was throwing up hairballs quite often. I decided to switch from the chicken to the hairball formula and it made a difference. Leo has thrown up a lot less, and they both are still just as healthy.

My only wish is that it was more meat based as cats are truly carnivores, but it's a lot better than many cheaper brands.

Purina One Special Care Adult Hairball Formula works

from Medon, TN

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

We have been using this product for quite a while and are amazed by the results. Purina One Special Care Adult Hairball Formula really does work. A cat is supposed to groom itself if it is healthy. Our cat must be very hearth because he is always grooming himself. As a result, hairball trouble! In the past, our cat, Meow, was, it seemed like, always throwing up hairballs all over the house. What a nasty mess - especially if you happen to step into one of them. We decided to try this product although it is a little expensive. To our surprise, the product really worked. Meow loves the taste of the food - which was a big concern of ours - and eats it with joy. Now for the advantage. No more hairball surprises in the house.

• Flavor Selection:

Purina One is what my four cats love best so far!

from Danville, IL

Comments about Purina ONE Special Care Adult Hairball Formula:

We have only tried a few other types of Purina cat food, but this one seems to be eaten more by my cats. It also seems to help with the hairball problem. I still have one cat who has one every now and then but I believe if I did her normal hairbrushing, about twice a week, she probably wouldn't have any. We have also noticed that their hair looks really nice and shiney!