Other Cat Foods:
NPU58011
Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats

Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't like it (7)
  • Pricey / poor value (4)
  • Bad taste (3)

• Quality of Ingredients:
    • Flavor Selection:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (10)

Wow! Just meat with no fillers or by-products!

I received a free sample of **Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats** in the mail recently and was looking forward to serving it to my cat.  She loves wet food, but sometimes it makes her puke, so she doesn't get it very often.

**Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats** packaging says: "Only real seafood, poultry or meat in a delicate broth prepared without by-products or fillers for a fresh-tasting appetizer that will captivate your cat's palate".

When I removed the lid, I was surprised to see chunks of *real* meat, not that processed mystery "meat" that is normally in canned cat food.  My sample was of "chicken" and it looked very similar to a can of chicken or tuna that you would buy for yourself, but a smaller serving.  My cat weighs 11 pounds, so I'm not sure she needed more than this "appetizer" as they call it.  It fed her just fine!

I definitely think this is a high-quality cat food.  After all, there aren't any fillers or by-products, just real chunks of meat and a little bit of broth.  If you don't mind paying whatever it costs (I'm assuming it's more expensive since it's made with real meat), I think it would be worth it.  However, my cat wouldn't eat it as an appetizer, but rather a meal.

**Ingredients:** water, chicken, guar gum, xanthan gum, sodium nitrite

Bad Review for New Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats

Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers was once a daily treat for my 3 rescue cats and for the outdoor stray that comes by for a daily meal. I used this product in addition to their usual diet. My cats will only eat cat food that has natural chunks of meat - not processed formed chunks of meat-like substance, which is why the Appetizers was a good option. After ALL cats refused to eat the new formula, I called Purina to find out why they switched a perfectly good product and what new ingredients were added. Purina said that they had an overwhelming demand from Pet Owners to add vitamins. According to the rep I spoke with, pet owners could not make the appetizers a main meal for their cats because it lacked the necessary nutritional value - so Purina decided to add vitamins. As evident by the thousands of negative reviews, many cats do not like the taste of the new formula. Unfortunately, Purina has no future plans to also offer the original formula. As a pet owner of 3 rescue cats as well as feeding any stray that crosses my path, I would think that Purina's sales suffered due to the change. Purina sent me a few coupons, which was fine as we use other Fancy Feast products. If any pet owner is looking for a similar product, try Pet Co's Soulistic Adult Canned Cat Food in Gravy - it too has vitamins, but the taste balance is better received as evident by my cats preference. I am a super watchful pet owner especially when it comes to pet food. Please keep an eye on your cat if you're feeding Purina's new Broth's. My big 20lb cat loved FF Broths, but a little too much - he ate the Broth's frantically and wanted, more, more, more - his reaction made me very uncomfortable as though the product contained an "addictive" additive - it made him "racy". I stopped using the product immediately and my cat calmed down. Also, if you buy dried fish flakes at any pet store, you'll get a much better product, amount and price by buying dried fish flakes at most Japaneses markets.

A change for the worse!

from Brooksville, Florida

Pros

Cons

• Bad Taste
    • Doesn't Like It

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

Once they changed to a new formula my cat would sniff the food, and walk away. We tried all of her favorite flavors and every single time, she said, "no, thanks". Why they changed the formula and didn't keep the old alternative is beyond me. If you look at reviews for this product, you will do d literally hundreds of cat owners expressing the same sentiments.

Bad Review for New Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats

from Las Vegas, Nevada

Pros

Cons

• Bad Taste
        • Doesn't Like It
        • My 3 Cats Wont Eat the New Formula
        • Previous Formula Taste Better
        • Pricey / Poor Value
        • Purina Refuses to Also Offer the Old Formula
        • Stray Cats Will Not Eat the New Formula
        • The Company Added Vitamins that Taste Bad
        • The New Formula Has Milky Liquid

• Toss in the Garbage Can

Cats enjoyed it

from St. Louis Missouri

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Digest
        • Good Taste
        • Likes It

Cons

• Pricey / Poor Value

• Special Meals

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

I got a sample of a Purina Fancy Feast meal for my cat, I have 3 rescue cats total. One didn't eat or even try the sample, but the pickiest cat I have liked the taste and the broth juices. I find the price high for this to be an everyday meal choice, but as a special treat I would get my cats some.

They changed the formula from Appetizers to "Purely"

from Orange, CA

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't Like It
          • Milky Sauce

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

My cats loved the old Appetizers and ate them to the last bit. The meat or fish was always in clear broth, looking very natural. After I purchased the new "Purely" appetizers (I thought I was buying the old ones - identical package except for the red "New"), my cats smelled them and started burying them immediately - did not want to eat them. There is no more clear broth but some milky sauce, whitish, thicker. I contacted Purina twice about this as to the first email they told me that they did not change formula for the appetizers. So I checked in the store and wrote about difference between Appetizers and Purely, still was told it was the same formula - it is not. Last week I found some appetizers from old formula in Fresh & Easy - after I put them in the bowls, they were gone to the last piece of fish; my cats as always loved them. Today I purchased the same flavors in Purely and my cats barely touched them and nearly full bowls are going to trash. I hope Purina will reconsider and change the formula back.

If you find the appetizers, I do recommend them as my cats loved them. But they will not eat the revised formula called "Purely" and with the red "new" on the package.

Fancy Feast Appetizers

from Longmeadow MA

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

My cat ate Fancy Feast Appetizers on a daily basis.. She loved them!
            Suddenly they made a "new" version.. She smells it an walks away... What a disappointment! The liquid is a runny broth.
            It was a great alternative as cats love tuna..
            Hopefully they will go back to the old recipe.

Appetizers are replaced by "Purely". BAD MOVE...

from Cartersville, GA

Pros

Cons

• Bad Taste
              • Doesn't Like It
              • Pricey / Poor Value

• Active Cats
              • Everyday

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

Don't be fooled like I was. Purina put something called Purely in a container that looks like the Appetizers container and put a similar name on it. I noticed after my cat wouldn't eat three different containers of Purely "Wild Alaskan Salmon", I checked the ingredients. The first ingredient is "sea bass" (that could be any number of things), second ingredient is "fish broth".., what??? I still have two kinds of Appetizers Tongol tuna and Skipjack tuna. The first ingredient in both is the tuna. I am not happy and my cat is not happy, they fooled me. Don't let them fool you. I'm sure that sea bass and fish broth are cheaper. I'll be looking for a new cat food.

Go back to old appetizer

from vincennes ,in

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• All Natural

Cons

• Doesn't Like It

• Active Cats

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

Cat does not like the new Purely Fancy Feast appetizer. Will not eat it. Come back with the old Fancy Feast appetizer. please

My cat won't eat your new "purely" fancy feast

from Salem, MA

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't Like It

• Indoor Cats

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

My cat wants nothing to do with your new purely fancy feast food! I'm distraught and going to every possible grocery store I can to buy out all the old recipe "appetizers" please help there are many people who seem to be having the same problem. Whatever you changed in the ingredients kitties no longer seem to enjoy, please take this in to consideration. Where can I buy the old "appetizers" definitly not a fan of the purely and neither is my cat

why did they change the formula? ???

from Pennsylvania

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't Like It

• Older Cats

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

My cat is 18 years old. I've been feeding her appetizers as its one of the only foods she will eat...now the formula is "purely fancy feast" rather than appetizer. ..and she won't eat it at all! I can't understand why they changed a good thing! !!!!!! Now I am back to the drawing board to find something else my old girl will eat...thanks Purina :(

Fancy Feast Appetizers

from New York, NY

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• All Natural
                  • Easy To Digest
                  • Likes It

Cons

• Pricey / Poor Value

• Indoor Cats
                  • Special Meals

Comments about Purina Fancy Feast Appetizers for Cats:

Although this cat food can be a bit more pricey, I must admit my cats love it so much. I usually will pick these up when they are on sale, and give them to my fur babies as special treats meals. They seem to like all the favors available and quickly gulp it all up. These appetizers are definitely recommended.