Other Dog Foods:

Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

If you have to choose a lower-costing dog food, choose Purina.

I personally love the Purina Dog Chow brand. Living in a household with 4 different dogs, finding a food that fits them all is very hard and can be very expensive. Thankfully, Purina has so many selections and varieties for different types of dogs that don't break the bank. One of my dogs has a problem with foods not being "filling" enough, causing him to vomit before eating time. I have never had this problem with Purina Dog Chow. It is one of the only foods that my dog can eat and stay full until his next meal. His stomach doesn't get nearly as upset with Purina Dog Chow as it does with others, and his weight is maintained instead of fluctuating which we had a problem with on other foods as well (i.e. he gained significant weight on ProPlan and others).My dog also has an allergy to red dye #40 which is found in several dog foods, including some other Purina brand dog foods. Being that Purina Dog Chow (as well as Purina One brand) does not have red dye #40, he is able to eat it without a problem. Though it may not be the best quality food you can buy, I certainly recommend it if you don't have a lot of money, but still want something that's going to be healthy for your dog. And with so many varieties, you can certainly find the right one for your dog. If you have to switch dog foods for whatever reason (weight issues, getting older, etc.), as long as it is in the Purina brand family, there shouldn't be much of a problem switching. All my dogs like it, from my 15-pound min pin mix to my 100-pound black lab mix and the 70-pound husky/shepherd mixes in between.

Not good for your dog!

Please fo not give this food to your dog!  I would not recomend any food you can buy in a grocery store for your dog.  If you must, Iams is now selling in grocery and department stores, but I highly recommend get higher quality foods from the pet stores or ordering them.  Do stay away from anything with wheat gluten, and other fillers.  Dogs are conavores.  I am a vegetarian, but I know my dog needs meats for health, some veggies are okay, especially for filling, but you want one of the first few, if not the first ingrediant to be meat, and not a by-product.  I also recommend a natural food.  My golden retriever cannot stop scratching if I do not give her a natural product.  In all of my research, I found the higher brands to be much better than the cheeper, and you usually feed less of the higher brand named ones than the cheaper ones.  Don't ct your dogs time with you short to save a few pennies, or a little extra time to go to the pet store.

Love it

from TN

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have three dogs and it always such a task to find a dog food that works well for them all. It seems like every time I get a new dog food two of them love it and one of them does not, so I end up buying more than one kind. A family friend recommended to me that I try out Purina Dog Chow Complete and Balanced for my dogs because I also wanted something healthy for them. This dog food ended up being a complete success with my three dogs. Each of them seemed to really enjoy the food and had no bad side effects from it. It was very relieving to finally have one kind of food that worked for our three dogs. After they had been eating it for a while I started to see changes in the dogs. They had a lot more energy and their coats were so much healthier. I would definitely recommend other dog owners to try this food out with their pet. I

Quality of Ingredients
This dog food has great ingredients in it for sure because my dogs really benefited from it. They were more entergetic and their fur was much softer.

Good General Dog Food

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

We have had our large black labrador great dane mix on this food for quite some time. We started him on the Purina puppy chow and tried many different products as he grew, but mainly stuck to the Purina brand options. We have also tried the healthy morsels and light and healthy Purina choices. This one is the one we have found in stock most often at our local grocery store and our dog seems to like it. He has been on this brand of dry food for a couple years now. Recently though he started to develop some severe dry skin issues and has gotten a little overweight so we are trying other options that may be a little more healthy for him weight wise and for his improving his current skin condition. We have stuck to other Purina brands to try and make the transitions easy on his stomach. This food has been great so far and he may just have developed some allergies which is not something that can really be controlled or changed so it is not the fault of the food by any means. I really like this option because it is also one of the cheapest ones on the market and I can find regular coupons for it making it even more affordable which is important with such a large dog who eats quite a bit.

Only one option

My dog loves Purina

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

I have been buying Purina Dog Chow Complete & Balanced for almost 8 years now. My dog love Purina. She gets so excited at breakfast and dinner knowing she will have just what she wants to eat. She wags her tail with delight and eats every bite. The pieces are the best size for a large breed dog but the pieces are not huge. The dog food is great for mediums dogs too. The size of the bag is perfect for what i need. I am able to buy enough to last 2 weeks without having a huge bag taking up room i do not have. The dog food is well balanced for my dogs needs. The dog food does not have a funny smell like some other dog foods. I would recommend Purina to anyone interesting in a great dog food. This dog food is worth it.

Quality of Ingredients
I believe Purina Dog Chow Complete & Balanced has the best ingredients for my dog and her needs. She enjoys every bite.

Flavor Selection
My dog loves the flavor and the smell of Purina Dog Chow Complete & Balanced.

Delicious & Nutritious!

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

Purina Dog Chow has always been one of my go-to favorites. My dogs just 'woof' it down. Complete & Balanced offers a high quality protein and all the essential vitamins and minerals you could want for your canine companion. From the time we brought our pug home, we experienced difficulty in finding a food that he did not have an allergic reaction to and did not put him over on the weight scale. After much trial and error, Purina Dog Chow Complete & Balanced became the number one food for our boy. Now five years later, he still jumps for joy when he sees it in his bowl. With only 10% crude fat, it has greatly helped us maintain our pugs weight, which can be a true trial for any pug owner. We will forever be a dedicated Purina household. Thanks to Purina our pug is happy and healthy!

Flavor Selection
I do wish the Complete & Balanced came in different flavors. I'm sure it doesn't matter much to my pug, but I cannot imagine eating the same food every single day.

• Flavor Selection:

Good basic dog food at a good price

from Akron, OH

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

Purina Dog Chow brand dog food has been around for a long time. I remember seeing advertisements for it when I was a child and I am fifty seven years old. Dog Chow has delivered high quality nutrition that helps keep my dog strong and healthy. Every meal nourishes him from the inside out and he loves the delicious taste and texture , so he gets all of the nutrients he needs at every meal. My dog was very skinny and under nourished when we received him. He is a pit bull and he weighed about forty pounds. now he is a healthy dog that weighs seventy pounds. He is a little overweight but we spoil him. the only dog food we feed him is Dog Chow . Dog Chow is not a designer dog food. It is not a high priced top shelf dog food but it has feed healthy dogs for years. Our veterinarian has never suggested that we feed him anything else.

Quality of Ingredients
Whole grain corn, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed tocopherols, soybean meal, poultry by-product meal, egg and chicken flavor, whole grain wheat. I don't know what some of this stuff is but I know it works. I read there is very little meat in it but my dog is gaining weight eating it and my veterinarian doesn't have a problem with it.

Flavor Selection
There is only one flavor Dog Chow.

Good quality dog food

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

It is the only dog food that are dog seems to be able to eat without getting sick. It is also not too expensive so it is affordable for us.

Quality of Ingredients
It keeps our dog healthy and happy. She has no health issues at all.

Flavor Selection
She always seems to like it even though it is dry food and we do not mix anything in.

Healthy, Happy Dog

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

Purina Dog Chow, Complete and Balanced is a healthy diet for our dog Tory. She is 9 years old and grew up first with Purina Puppy Chow and then onto Dog Chow. She is still very active and can run with the younger dogs with no problem. The Dog Chow keeps her limber and healthy.

Quality of Ingredients
This dog food has plenty of nutritional value and has kept our pet very healthy.

Flavor Selection
There could be a few more flavors but so far Tory likes all of the flavors we have purchased.

• Flavor Selection:

Just can't beat the quality of Purina Dog chow!

from Stoughton, Wi

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

We have been feeding our dogs Purina dog food for many years and have been extremely satisfied with this line of dog foods. I switched to the complete and balanced variety a few years ago and our dog has never been healthier!

Quality of Ingredients
Purina dog chow is made with only the freshest ingredients. Many dog foods use so many non essential fillers which are not high in protein and do not give a dog what it needs nutritionally. This is not the case with Purina dog chow complete and balanced. This dog chow provides all the vitamins and minerals my dog needs to maintain a healthy diet. My dog eats Purina dog chow twice a day and she gobbles this dog food down eagerly as soon as I pour it into her bowl. I have been using the Purina dog chow for many years now and my dog never seems to get tired of the varieties available. I highly recommend this dog food to any dog owner that is looking for a high quality dog food that will give your dog energy and pep! It is also very reasonably priced compared to other dog food brands.

• Flavor Selection:

A great feast for your pet

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

If you want to spoil one of the most beloved members of the family do not hesitate to give him this food, which is a great source of protein and minerals, which allows your pet to have the energy and enthusiasm needed daily, my golden retriever orion is happy every time I give this food. gives my dog a lot of energy while running with me every day, and the best that prevents digestive problems, take care of your delicate stomach. If orion is happy the whole family is happy. so recommend.

Quality of Ingredients
Purina makes a selection of the highest quality, using some nutritional ingredients, full of vitamins and proteins, which provides a lot of energy and wellness for your pet. It is simply a treat for your best friend, your dog will be very happy

Flavor Selection
The choice of the best ingredients make the flavors present in the product is excellent, making your pet will not get bored by eating this food daily

Purina Dog Chow Complete & Balanced

Comments about Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food:

I had a boxer named Daisy a few years ago. She was a large dog, and she was very active. I wanted a dog food with a good source of protein to keep her full and healthy. I tried a lot of organic dog foods because I thought that was the best thing for Daisy. I realized the organic foods didn't have all the protein she needed, and she never seemed satisfied after a meal. I started trying dog food that wasn't organic, and the Purina Dog Chow Complete and Balanced was the first one she loved. It has a long list of vitamins and minerals, and it has 21 grams of protein per serving. The price is very reasonable, and that's great because Daisy ate a lot. She loved this food so much that I had to hide the bag on top of my refrigerator. If I left it on the floor, Daisy would chew through the bag and eat it all! The ingredient list isn't too bad, and it is made with natural whole grains. We don't have a dog at the moment, but we will be going back to this dog food as soon as we get another one.