Other Dog Foods:
Purina

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

My dog inhales this food

My dog Bazil inhales Purina's Beneful Healthy Weight for Adult Dogs. He's always been a finicky eater, but he must know it's good for him because he eats every bite.
Read complete review

I love it because it is made with rice, chicken, soy and vegetables.

The best part is is comes with a great zipper bag that reseals for freshness.

Nutritional quality is poor and dogs have suffered.

Beneful looks great with its many chunks and flavors.  My cocker spaniel loved it, and she was a picky eater.  Then I noticed her having trouble.  She scooted a lot and dug at her tail, hindquarters and paws.  Her skin became flaky and her coat was dull.  No one could explain this.  It was at this time that I started working for a pet shop and learned about dog nutrition.  As it turns out, corn and wheat are very poor nutrients for dogs.  While they might not have any trouble with these products to begin with, it builds up slowly in their systems until it reveals itself as allergies - which it turned out my dog had.  I switched her to a higher quality food and sure enough, the scratching and misery subsided.  Working with other dog owners, I found many who had dogs who suffered much like my own.  When asked what the dog was eating, Beneful came up more than once.  Just like my dog, when the pet was switched off of Beneful, the problems subsided.  I recently took a close look at the ingredients of Beneful.  The very first was corn.  This means the main ingredient is corn.  Dogs can not digest corn and it passes straight through the system.  Furthermore, the ingredients included corn meal and wheat within the first five ingredients - not a good sign.  While I know some dogs can go their whole lives on food like this, after seeing first hand what it did to my dog, and after hearing numerous accounts from other pet owners, I've concluded that Beneful is not as beneficial as it may first appear.

Great dog food!

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

I started giving this dog to food to our dog when he started getting a little overweight. I had tried a few different dog foods, and then our vet recommended this one to us when we took him in for a checkup after I noticed he was looking a little fuller than usual. My dog loves eating this, more than the other dog food we were giving him before, and it has actually helped him lose some extra pounds and keep his weight where it should be. The ingredients seem pretty healthy for dog food, which is great! The price is pretty standard for dog food also. If anyone is looking for a great dog food to either help maintain your dog's weight or help your dog lose a few extra pounds to get back to a healthy weight, this is the best dog food to buy for them! I would highly recommend this dog food to anyone with a dog.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients are great, and seem really healthy for dog food.

Flavor Selection
The flavor selection is normal for dog food choices.

Yum-O!

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

My beagle Lincoln has been eating this food for most of his 6 years. It keeps him healthy and happy! I think this food also helps to keep him young at heart and running around like he's still a puppy. I would highly recommend this food for dogs small to large!

Quality of Ingredients
I like that there is a good variety of quality ingredients. It has the good meat and vegetables that are important for dogs and is balanced for a healthy diet. I plan to stick with this food unless we're told to use something else. But our vet said this was a good food to keep him at a good weight.

Another dog we know had eaten other foods and was having some possible allergy issues, but when they switched to this food, the issues seemed to go away.

Flavor Selection
My beagle seems to really enjoy the flavor of the Healthy Weight food. He gobbles it up almost as soon as it hits the bowl. I've only found one flavor for this food, but it seems to be good.

Yummy and healthy

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

My dog loves all of the Purina ones especially this one. Whenever it is snack time, my dog is really excited and happy. Ever since I switched to this from my previous competitor brand my dog is always looking forward to eat/chew.
Unlike other brands, my dog doesn't have any constipation issues. I feel my dog is all the more active, happy & healthy ever since we started buying the Benful. Thanks a lot Purina for the great innovation or discovery of this particular snack. I was still using two other products from other brands every alternate day when I initially started, my dog specifically ignored the other meals and came running to hog this one. I even shifted the timing to see if that was the issue but he was smart enough to come and devour only when Benful was served. I myself can see the difference in the color, odor and texture. It's obviously more inviting And tempting to eat.

Great Product

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

My 2 dogs love this food. I have a pug and a papillion. They have been eating it for over 3 years, and we have seen great results. It has helped to keep my pug at a healthy weight. She had gained some weight, but once I got her on this food she was able to lose and then maintain her weight loss. The papillion loves it even though she does not have a problem with her weight.

I highly recommend this food to other pet owners. Especially people with dogs that are a little on the heavy side. I have seen great results with my pug. I have just stuck to the suggested serving sizes. At first I used the one for weight loss, and now I just give her the suggested serving size to maintain weight. Since the papillion never had any problems I just free feed her.

Quality of Ingredients
I love that this food has avocado pieces in it. I think that it helps to make their coats healthier and shinier.

Flavor Selection
This is by far my dogs' favorite flavor of the Purina brand. The pug is happy with pretty much anything, but the papillion is very picky. She picks the pieces out and eats what she likes first. This was the first food that she ate all of the pieces.

Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dog Food

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

The Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dog Food has really helped my dog maintain a good weight. We found a stray boxer a few years ago, and we took her in. She was malnourished from being on the street so long, and we would feed her anything she wanted. I felt so bad for her, so I never stopped her from eating. This went on for about three months, and then she started to become a little overweight. We had been spoiling her with a lot of table scraps, so we were having trouble finding a dry dog food she liked. After a lot of searching, we found the Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food. She seemed to love the taste, and she has lot a lot of her extra weight. They don't have a lot of options when it comes to flavor, but my dog doesn't seem to mind. She has been eating this food for 6 months now, and she is doing great on it. I don't think the quality of ingredients is too good, but this is the only food she eats.

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

I had to find something for my dachshund when she began to gain too much weight that she would eat. She has always been a picky eater when it came to her dog food, so when I seen Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food I thought I would try it. I am so glad Purina came out with this, she loves it and so do I. It is so nice find something that I know that she will eat and that is also healthy for her. I am thankful to Purina for keeping my dog happy and healthy. This is a dog food I would highly recommend to anyone to try, especially if you have a picky eater and need to maintain their weight.

Quality of Ingredients
The quality of Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food is just what I was looking for. I love that it is made with real chicken, rice, soy and vegetables. This is fortified with all the vitamins a dog needs to help maintain their weight.

Flavor Selection
My dachshund loves the taste of this dog food, the moist and crunchy texture is great for her.

Good Nutrition And Dogs Like It

from Potomac, MD

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

We have used any number of dog foods over the years. The vets always recommend the pricey versions or those they carry in the office. There are people who prefer organic and those who make homemade meals for their pets. I don't love that most of the corn that goes into dog foods these days are GMO, but there is absolutely no definitive data even from private research studies that GMO is bad for anyone. The Beneful seems to make all 4 dogs (yes, 4) happy, although I suspect our youngest, a rescued American Fox Hound, would eat anything. Our oldest lab (12) is an very picky eater and he eagerly awaits breakfast and dinner. The different shapes, textures and tastes seem to satisfy everyone. Our younger lab loves meal time and the vet suggested a smaller kibble so it would take a her a bit longer to eat the same quantity of food and this seems to work. I think Beneful provides a good balance of nutrition, taste and quality for the price.

Good stuff, good price

from Arnold, MO

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

We have had our dog on some very expensive food over the years and for a long time we were really happy with it. Not to give too much information but as he got older, no matter what food we tried it seemed to make him go to the bathroom constantly (went straight through him) and of course he became very uncomfortable. After trying brand after brand, I finally just went back to a more basic type of dog food (none of that grain free specialty stuff). I trust the Purina name so that is why I chose Beneful. He seems to do really well on it and I certainly like the price. I do feel guilty for switching him to a cheaper brand....but whatever works for him is most important.

Quality of Ingredients
This is not the highest quality dog food you can buy but it is at a good price point and I am very happy feeding this to my dog.

Flavor Selection
To be honest, I haven't paid too terribly close attention to the flavor selection for this dog food. We buy the weight control to help keep our dog from getting overweight. He is a Weimareiner and older, so we want to keep as much extra weight off of him as possible because of his hips since he is a rather large dog. He certainly hasn't lost any weight on this, but his weight is not going up which is a good sign.

Terrible Dog Food!

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

I bought this food a few months back, thinking it was full of healthy ingredients. In fact with a name like 'Beneful', and pictures of vegetables, chicken, and fish on the cover; you would think this would be a perfect choice for your dog. After feeding this to my dogs, I noticed a few changes in the way they were acting. They have never had allergies in the 6 years I have owned them, but all of a sudden they both started scratching their eyes constantly. I took them to the vet, and when I told him that I was feeding them Beneful, my vet asked me to try a different food. He mentioned that there have been several problems with dog health and the Beneful brand. After looking online, I found this to be true. First of all Beneful, is not full of healthy ingredients. Instead it is filled with filler foods like corn, and corn gluten. The meat found in this is just a by product (the leftovers of what doesn't get used for human food). Think of it as feeding your pet junk food. After switching back to IAMs, my dogs scratching went away. I would highly recommend everyone to stay away from this product. Do a little research, and you will find out how bad this stuff is. Also for what you pay, vs what you get; it's not even a good deal.

Quality of Ingredients
Full of fillers, that will harm your pet over time.

Flavor Selection
All the flavors are artificial, and not what they advertise.

Poison

Comments about Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food:

I am writing this because my puppy died two weeks ago from eating this dog food. This dog food made my dogs kidneys and liver shutdown. I took my puppy to the vet after feeding him this dog food. The veterinarian asked me how long I have had this puppy and if I have made any changes with him. I had only had Pistol for two months and I had just changed his dog food to Purina Beneful. I took my puppy Pistol to the vet because I believed he had Parvo. He was vomiting and had completely stopped eating. Also he could no longer control his bowel movements. He had massive amounts of diarrhea. The vet had done some test on Pistol and told me there was nothing he or I could do. Pistol only lasted two more days before I had to bury him in my back yard. I called Purina and they told me it was not their fault. I was in tears. It broke my heart. I have done a good amount of research and have found out Pistol is not the only dog that has died from eating this dog food. Over 600 dogs have died from this food. This is Poison. Please if you love your pet do not buy this food for your dog. If you don't believe me look it up yourself.

Quality of Ingredients
All I can say is this food killed my dog.

Flavor Selection
This dog food made my dogs kidneys and liver shutdown he is now buried in my backyard.