4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

My dog definately loves this!!!

I usually feed my dog dry food only but I was shopping and decided to check out the canned food for a treat, to let him try something different instead of the boring same ole thing day in and day out. There were several brands to choose from and several flavors with different sizes of cans but I liked the packaging and convenience of a six pack wrapped in plastic which made it more convenient to transport home. I read the ingredients plus it says it's 100% complete and balanced which is definately a plus with me. The description on the label of Homestyle with beef prime cuts and the picture of what it actually looks like was appealing to me so I knew it would probably be with him as well and was it ever! It actually looks quite tasty with the beef cuts. It says homestyle and that's how it looks out of the can. It was all I could do to get him to be patient enough for me to put it in his bowl, it was funny watching him. He begs for more and when he finishes his six pack I'll be sure to go buy more!

My dog loved it, I didn't.

Every time I see this Alpo can it seriously brings up bad memories. I bought this for my dog as a treat because he really enjoyed dog food that was meaty and moist. This dog food has huge chunks of meat and a lot of gravy. He loved that stuff. He was a small 5 pound dog and would have eaten the entire can in 2 minutes if I would have let him. His weight only required half a can per meal which was a great money saver for me. I just covered the can with foil and placed it in the fridge for his next meal. As far as price goes, it seemed to cost a little less than other brands and that is why I gave it a chance. The reason I dislike this food is because my dog was white and it would completely stain his entire face. No matter what I did, I could not get the brown off of his face. I would end up having to trim the fur around his mouth to completely clean it off. That's not the worst part either. Each time he ate this, he was guaranteed to either vomit a little or to get diarrea. This didn't happen with other wet dog food so I can only assume that this food, although he loved it, was not good on his little tummy. So if you have a sensitive little guy, I wouldn't risk it unless you want to clean up a horrible mess.

My Weekly Buy

from Wedgefield,SC

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Good Value
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

Cons

• Larger Dogs
    • Older Dogs
    • Smaller Dogs

Comments about Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food:

I mix this can food into their dry food, and the dogs love it. They refuse to eat their food unless Alpo canned dog food is mixed up in it. My spoiled lil boogers.

Has Modified Ingredients!

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food:

I use to feed my dog Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food, and other Alpo canned food. That was until I discovered what was in their this food. When I first started buying these cans of food, I had thought that it was beef with gravy. I had also thought it was more of a natural food since it was named homestyle. I was wrong. Alpo uses modified corn starch and meat by-products, some of the ingredients I don't even know. I haven't bought it since then, and wouldn't recommend it until they do something about the junk-food they put in this dog food.

Quality of Ingredients
    Putting meat-byproducts in this food is bad enough, but why put modified corn starch in dog food. I don't think companies care about our pets and aren't listening to us when we ask for good ingredients in the dog food they make. I will not buy any of their food that has modified ingredients in it, and I cannot see why anyone rate this dog food as good quality, it's junk.

Flavor Selection
    I'll be honest, my dog loved these cans of food. However, I would never have purchased it had I known they put modified ingredients in their food. He might love it, but it's not good for him and that's what matters most.

Your Dog will Gobble This Down

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food:

Last week I dog sat my daughters two dogs while she went on vacation. They generally eat dry food but seemed lonely that my daughter was gone so I decided to buy them a treat for dinner and bought them Alpo Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food as it really looked like a yummy dinner for dogs. I opened the can and they were already circling around me waiting for me to put it in their bowls. They gobbled it right down and good thing I had another can of it as they wanted more. It has nice meaty pieces of meat in a gravy like sauce that they loved. It did not bother their stomachs. Alpo costs more than some other dog foods but it is worth it for a happy dog. When I was growing up we always bought Alpo and that is one of the reasons I bought it now. They carry Alpo at any major grocery store and there are different types of Alpo, the picture on the can of this one just looked so delicious for dogs along with the good Alpo name is why I chose this one. Alpo has been around for as far back as I can remember. If you want to treat your dog to a delicious dinner, than try this one.

Not for our dog.

from Rome,GA

Comments about Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food:

We just got this dog food to try because we were told by friends how much their dog liked it. we gave our dog a can for her first meal of the day. when we feed her she usually eats her fill and then goes about her own way but, today she just looked at the food and walked away. I left the food in her dish for about half the day and I noticed she did come back and lick all the juices from the large pieces but never ate any of the solid food. I also noticed the food had a very strong meaty smell when I first opened it but within the few hours it laid in the dish it had lost all it's smell and was very dry. I replaced the food with a new can just in case the dog may have just not been hungry. I did want to give the food a fair try, and since the first can had turned into what appeared to be kids modeling dough I wanted to give her one more fresh can. Our dog did the same thing again and whimpered at the dish so I replaced it with her old food. I think this is a good dog food, it just wasn't for our dog.

Flavor Selection
    I only found one flavor choice but their may be more, just not at my grocery store.

Makes my dog sick.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food:

These were on sale for a very good price one day and I had a coupon to go with them so I bought a whole bunch assuming that my dog would love them and I would not have to buy dog food for my dog for a little while. When you open this can, let me warn you, it has such a strong smell and it smells absolutely awful, like it made me want to throw up when I opened a can. My dog went right to it and took about two bites and then would not touch it anymore. I tried and tried to get him to go back and eat it but he would have nothing to do with it. 10 minutes later my dog started to throw up and I could tell that he was not feeling well. A couple of hours later he had to use the bathroom and when we went outside it was very runny and discolored. He kept going like this for many hours unfortunately. He would not touch this food again, he would go by it and smell and then walk away, so I know that he even knew that it was not good for him or his stomach.

• Flavor Selection:

My dog definately loves this!!!

• Flavor Selection:

Daisy loves it for a treat!

Comments about Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food:

My little yorkie loves this dog food, I don't know why! I found it unusual that my dog mainly likes dry food over wet food, but she loved this stuff. It smells absolutely terrible but I'll typically feed her these about once or twice a week. It would be more frequent but this isn't the healthiest option available on the market because of the sodium. But a little treat here or there won't be too bad for her!

Not A Hit WIth My Dog

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food:

My dog is a strict Pedigree fan now but I tried several foods on him before he settled on that as his favorite. This was one of the options.

When I first got this I figured it couldn't be too bad since it was by a large national brand. I quickly found out just how wrong I was.

First, I have a Chihuahua so he is tiny but I figured he could handle the chunks of meat. He was able to chew them but he then quickly spit them out because he just did not like them. At all. He also did not like the gravy. He loves gravy normally but he was just having none of this gravy. He sniffed it, gave it an experimental lick, and walked away. And then gave me a pitying look!

I just figured my dog was a tiny gourmand but he actually likes Pedigree so he's not anti-canned food, just not this canned food.

However, if your dog likes chunks in gravy he or she may like this food. It's certainly worth a try.

Granted, this is not premium nutrition and I'm not sure where it is manufactured (probably not in the United States) but it's a decent enough choice.

• Flavor Selection:

My dog loved it, I didn't.

• Flavor Selection:

Wonderful food for older dogs!

Comments about Purina Alpo Homestyle Prime Cuts Canned Dog Food:

I can't speak highly enough of this dog food. It is absolutely fantastic. My border collie/lab mix, Cracker, is 13 years old and hadn't been eating her dry dog food very much. Why? Well, we don't know, we never learned how to speak dog. We guess that the dry food was rough on her teeth and made it difficult to chew. At the pet store one day, we saw a can of wet dog food and figured it couldn't hurt to grab a can. Lemme tell you -- this is a fantastic product! I couldn't even finish emptying the can into Cracker's food bowl before she tried to squeeze between my legs to get in there and eat it. After a few weeks and many more cans, Cracker went from being about 20 pounds underweight to her normal, healthy weight. She's eating normally again thanks to Purina wet dog food. (I do notice that she eats the Purina stuff faster than other brands -- she must like it more!) I'd highly recommend this product to anyone, but especially those with "senior citizen" dogs like mine.

Flavor Selection
    Lots of great flavors to choose from.