Other Detergents:
Laundry Detergent
Purex
Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent

Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent

Pros

• Safe for delicate clothes/skin (5)
  • Easy to use (4)
  • Effective (4)
  • Gets stains out (4)

• Cleaning (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Parent (3)

unscented

I have always been allergic to most scented laundry detergents; using certain detergents will make skin itch and leave me with hives. Unfortunately, this left me purchashing Woolite, which works well, but is pretty expensive. One poor college day I found myself unable to afford my usual brand and was forced to try something cheaper. So, I bought a bottle of Purex and have been using it ever since! I was pleasantly surprised to not experience any itching or hives after washing my laundry with Purex. This was my experience using a scented Purex detergent! I recently found Purex free and clear and decided to try it because the scented kind will occasionally make me sneeze at night when I smell it on my linens. Again, I was pleasantly surprised! Purex free and clear leaves behind no scent at all! It is wonderful. The laundry comes out noticeably clean, but without the unnecessary scent. Purex saves me money, without sacrificing effectiveness.

I give it a 10 for the lack of scent. The only detergent I have used that leaves behind no scent at all!

Disappointed in Purex's cleaning power

The Bottom Line: Purex Ultra Free and Clear did not wash my whites well at all, and left tons of stains on my socks and underwear. If I were to use it again, I would only use it on dark clothes that aren't too dirty and when I want to get the dirty smell out of my clothes. Otherwise, quite disappointing.

I bought PUrex Ultra free and clear because it was on sale and from reading reviews I had fairly high expectations. I washed my first load of whites with this Purex detergent, which included dirty socks and underwear, as well as some white stained shirts. When I took the clothes out of the wash to place them into the dryer, I could already tell that the socks still had tons of stains left on them, and looked quite dull and not as white as I had hoped. After drying the clothes, I could clearly tell that I was going to have to wash at least the socks and the underwear again because so many of the stains had remained, even though I had used warm water and enough detergent.

Purex worked better for me when I used it to wash dark clothes that were not too soiled. It did take the dirty smell out of the clothes, but as far as taking stains out, it really did not mean my expectations. I probably would not buy Purex again.

If you have sensitive skin or allergies to detergent that have a scent, then this Purex Ultra free and clear will work great for you, as it literally has zero scent and does not leave any scent in your clothes at all.

Great product

from Ipwa

About Me Homeowner

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Effective
  • Gets Stains Out
  • Great Scent
  • Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

I love using this for my laundry. It is inexpensive compared to other detergents. It takes out stains and the different fragrances smell good.

Better than Leading Brand Free and Clear Detergents

from Virginia

About Me Parent

Pros

• Cleans Cloth Diapers!
    • Easy To Use
    • Effective
    • Gets Stains Out
    • Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin
    • Simple Instructions

• Sensitive skin & Cloth Diapers

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

Personally I cannot see paying for detergents that specifically clean cloth diapers, it's been trial and error on my part to find what works for me. All Free and Clear has been my top detergent until I tried Purex Free and Clear! I'm always looking for a sale and 9 times out of 10 I can find a coupon for Purex Detergent. When I find something that works I usually stick with it but in this instance I'm glad I broke away from my usually All detergent and purchased Purex Free and Clear. If you cloth diaper your baby you already know absorbency is key, softners are a no no. My baby hasn't had a leak since making the switch, I hope it continues this way. Sensitive skin is another issue, I don't worry about my daughter breaking out in a rash. I've used this detergent on regular laundry and it removes stains and helps eliminate odors, not masking them. I highly recommend this detergent big you're looking for a cloth diaper safe detergent and sensitive skin.

Great for Sensitive Skin

from Herndon, VA

About Me Parent

Pros

• Easy To Use
      • Effective
      • Gets Stains Out
      • Great Scent
      • Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin
      • Simple Instructions

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

This is a great detergent for Sensitive skin. In my household, there are three of us with very sensitive skin. Myself, my eleven year old daughter, and my Husband. My husband has eczema on his fingertips and his chest. Also a few areas behind his ears. We are always on the hunt for products that are free of irritants and chemicals, and harsh scents and perfumes. This product is very nice, very gentle, and yet effective. It's great to know we are using a detergent that won't aggravate our sensitive skin and/or eczema. We also live in a small condominium, and if we use a detergent that has a strong perfume scent, we can smell it all throughout our kitchen/eating area, while the washing machine is running. So this product is great for those with small houses; your house won't smell like a laundromat while laundry is in use. As far as stains, it works just as well for your average stain removal as your basic run of the mill detergent. The price is also decent. We'll keep this detergent in our rotation.

Free & clear

About Me Parent

Pros

• Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin

• Laundry Room

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

I use the Purex free and clear as a mother. The Purex free and clear laundry detergent is great because it is a very low to no scented laundry detergent. This fact makes the detergent great for our child's clothing because the frangrance is so tolerable it even works great for our children's very sensitive noses. Speaking of sensitivity the detergent is organic which makes the laundry detergent great for my young children's very sensitive skin. The only thing I could possibly have negative about the Purex free and clear detergent is it is hard to get tough stains out with the recommended dosage. I usually have to use two times the recommended amount if my children have been playing hard outside. Luckily for the cost of the purex laundry detergent the extra amount for hard stains is actually pretty reasonable. I would recommend the Purex free and clear laundry detergent to any of my friends. I think the laundry detergent is worth the Money.

Great detergent

from Phoenix, AZ

About Me Homeowner

Pros

• Easy To Use
          • Effective
          • Gets Stains Out
          • Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin

• Laundry Room

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

This detergent is great. I use it very regularly because it is dye free and fragrance free. There are enough additives in detergents anyway, so I very much prefer no additives in regard to dyes or fragrances because these two things, at the very least, can irritate skin and cause other issues that are unnecessary. I just appreciate getting my clothes and other laundry clean without perfume smells or colored detergent. The color and perfumes make no difference in cleanliness and, to me, only add something that is completely unnecessary. I have been using Purex for a long time for this reason, that you offer no dyes or perfumes. I would recommend Purex, as well. You also have great sales and even coupons at times, which is a great help because everything is so expensive anyway. Coupons and sales really do help since laundry is one of those necessary evils we have to do in life!!

No fragrance, no dyes, perfect for your sensitive skin.

from Florida

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

I am a long time user of Tide. It is the only laundry detergent that I will buy and I prefer tide with a touch of downy, april fresh. I have used it since I was a kid, it provides the cleaning power of tide with the softness and great smell of the downy april fresh and when I smell it, it feels like home. Very rarely will I consider, much less purchase a different kind of tide much less another brand of detergent. Until my daughter came along, 8 weeks premature and weighing in at 4 pounds. She was perfect in every single way, not one health problem, no need for the NICU. We brought her home three days after she was born. As she got older she developed really sensitive skin, to the point that detergents, lotions, soap, anything that touches her skin has to be free of dyes and perfumes. There are a few appropriate detergents that have no dyes and perfumes, even tide has one, but I like this the best.

I have no experience with purex so I have no idea if it is a great brand, a poor choice, I just don't know. This one works quite well, I hardly ever pull something out of the wash that is still stained and best of all is that it does't break my daughter's skin out.

The scent of this is pretty non-existent. Some of the dye and perfume free choices have a really weird smell, but this one doesn't. It smells like not really anything and the clothes come out fresh and clean and smelling like our dryer.

Great detergent

from Utah

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

We have used Purex detergent off and on for quite some time, and we have found it to be a good detergent. It's not so great that we would use it no matter how much it costs, but if it is on sale and a better price than a few other brands that we sometimes use, then we definitely will take it. If the price is equal to others, we will still choose it because of its good qualities.

This detergent does a good job of removing ordinary spots and stains. It won't get out deep stains that typically require a stain remover, but it is quite effective at normal spots. It also rinses out very well. We haven't had any problems with dried soap getting stuck in our clothes and leaving marks. We have not had any problems with skin reactions or skin irritations after using this soap. However, we don't use it for our children who have more sensitive skin (we use baby detergent), so I don't know how well it would work for someone younger.

Great product

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

This product is awesome. I have sensitive skin and have been trying to find a detergent that would not break me out or make my skin so red that it looked like I was sunburned. After I used this product my skin did not itch and I felt great. I would recommend this to anyone with sensitive skin

Works as well ad more expensive brands

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

I purchased Purex about a year ago for the first time. I was under the impression that Purex did not work as well as more expensive brands, Tide, All, etc. When I bought the small 24 load bottle I thought I would give it a try. I was pleased with the results after a wash. My clothes were clean and the Purex free did not leave any scent on my clothes. I wish I had tried this sooner, thinking of all the money I wasted on advertising for some other companies makes me sick. I hope that everyone gives Purex ultra free and clear laundry detergent a try, maybe you can save some money too!

Purex ultra free and clear laundry detergent works like a champ in my front loading Samsung machine. My clothes are clean (including my 2 year old) and I have had a really good experience with this detergent. My only complaint is that I did not buy it sooner

Purex ultra free and clear does not have a scent, that is why I buy it. It smells like nothing and I love that!

Great for sensitive skin

Comments about Purex Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Detergent:

This particular product is a great addition to the Purex brand because it is for those that experience sensitive skin. I like it because there is no residue feeling left on my clothes after using this product. I usually use this product mainly in the summer and winter months as my skin tends to irritate more during those times of the year. I highly recommend using this product for anyone experiencing sensitive skin.

It launders clothing just like the other purex products. Absolutely no difference to speak of when using this product. It lathers up really good and you are left with clothes that actually look and feel clean. Very impressive product.

Absolutely no scent to speak of in this product. This is especially good because there is no competing with the scents of other fragrances you may be using, while using this product, which lessens the potential for more irritation. This product is great for baby's clothes also.