Other Detergents:
Purex Classic Fabric Softener

Purex Classic Fabric Softener

Pros

Cons

Purrex fabric softener keep my clothers soft and static free

**I have been use purex fabric softener for a while now.  I put in the softener holder of the washer machine. So it already in the washer when is reach the final rinse cycle. My clothes comes out smelling fresh, and soft. I never have to worry about static cling. Because the purex fabric softener reduce static cling. It comes in ultra purex fabric softener. Which is more concentrated then the classic purex fabric softener. With the ultra you use less, your clothes still come out the some. There or three brands (mountain breeze a refreshing outdoor scent light blue bottle) (fresh scent with renuzit a uplifting scent of tropical fruit and fresh flowers yellow bottle) Sweet lavender and cotton a sparking citrus fruit and cotton flower. lavendersbottle. What I really like about using purex fabric softener, its does a great job on your clothes. Come in scent I like. And it not a high as some of the other fabric softener. They also have a purex fabric softener for sensitive skin. And stain removers .**

A Surprisingly Mediocre Product

Purex is one of my favorite laundry detergent brands, mainly because they have a natural line of laundry detergents which I love to use, smell great, and clean just as well as a regular, 'name-brand' or even more expensive line of laundry detergents.

So, I had been wanting to try the Purex fabric softeners, just to see if they were any better or worse than Downy, Snuggle, etc. I was very surprised with my results, and not in a good way.

There are at least three things I expect out of a good fabric softener that works. First, I like for my clothes to still smell coming out of the dryer. I buy fabric softener because a lot of laundry detergents do not have a lasting fragrance that can withstand dryer temperatures above 80 degrees fahrenheit, and this can be troublesome with a heavy load that needs a higher temperature to dry quicker, and I like to smell something different everytime so I don't get 'bored' with my laundry detergent. Secondly, I like for my clothes to be soft and light. After a few washes, bathtowels are notorious for turning into hardbricks, and that's uncomfortable. Third, I like something that doesn't need half-the-bottle to work. Of all these three, Purex failed to even come close to any of them.

I purchased a bottle of the 'Sweet Lavender and Cotton' fragrance, as lavender-scented detergents and softeners are generally my favorite because they don't smell as synthetic and unrealistic as other detergents. The fragrance wasn't very strong, but it was pleasant and light, and had a slight, sweet vanilla undertone mixed in with something crisp like hot linen. Now, in the wash, you can smell it very strongly, but once you transfer your laundry to the dryer, it is gone within five minutes of being dried. And that bugs me.

Also, my clothes were not as soft as I would have liked. They were somewhat-soft, but I'm not looking for a somewhat-softeness. I really want my clothes, especially 100% cotton tee shirts, jeans, bedspreads, etc. to be very soft and fresh-smelling. And I noticed my clothes were not anywhere close to that kind of delicate, soft texture. Towels were still rough around the edges, tee-shirts still held that same roughness that comes with washing in warm water, so on and so forth. It was really disappointing.

The fabric softener also does not last very long. Within a day of use, half the bottle was already gone. You basically need two whole capfuls to achieve the desired affect, and that is not good in terms of money-saving use. Thankfully, this detergent is not expensive, but compared to the laundry detergents Purex makes, this was extremely disappointing. If you are the type of person who wants a general fabric softener that won't necessairly turn your clothes super-duper soft and have a noticeable fragrance, then by all means, buy this to your hearts content. But if you want a serious softener that does the job right, purchase another brand.

Good Fabric Softener at a Good Price

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

I've never used Purex until fairly recently and I've come to quite like it. Their Classic Fabric Softener works quite well and I've been very pleased by both the cost and performance.

This is significantly cheaper than the name brand fabric softeners so I was hesitant to try it at first, fearing that it wouldn't work as well, but it really does.

Clothes come out of the wash feeling soft and smelling fresh. The scent is mild and not at all overpowering. It's just a subtle clean smell. I really like that it's not cloying like some other brands tend to be. The scent does seem to last for quite a while too since I take sheets washed a week or so before out of the closet and they still smell lovely.

The only thing I don't like is the bottle. It's difficult to carry and pour because the handle is oddly placed on the bottle. This formula is not concentrated so the bottle is larger and heavier than the ones the concentrated formulas come in which makes it more of a chore to lug around. It's not a deal breaker, but it is annoying.

Overall, this is a good fabric softener at a good price.

Very nice

from Phoenix,Az

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

I think that Purex Classic Fabric Softener is wonderful! It really makes the clothes feel very soft and they also smell so fresh and good. It has a reasonable price and it works for most budgets. Purex is a long time family favorite for many people and it is a trusted brand. It works quite well. My family really enjoys this nice fabric softener and I will use it again for many years to help get the laundry done. I have used Purex Fabric Softener many times and never had any problems with it

The performance of this product is fantastic!! It really works wonders for making all of the laundry feel so soft and smooth. It keeps it very fresh.

It has a great scent that smells fresh and it isn't too strong. It is just right and not overpowering like some fabric softeners. I love the pleasant aroma! Some of the other products have a scent that doesn't last as long as this one does.

I buy it for the smell

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

This product is relatively inexpensive when it goes on sale. I don't purchase it on a regular basis, but do like to have it as a special treat. It makes our clothes smell very good and also keeps the static electricity down from the dryer. Purex is known for being a "brand" name, but much cheaper than other products in it's category. I think you get what you pay for with Purex, but it is a very viable option and a fairly good product for when money is tight and you need to keep costs down. The cap has some measuring references that I usually ignore. I use a full cap in our laundry, because that's how I get the good aroma to stick with the clothes. This does cause me to go through it a little quicker than suggested, but that's ok due to the pricing being so much cheaper. Overall, I like Purex Softener. It is a good product with lot's of variety, it is very affordable and it does a fair job on the laundry for freshening and static electricity.

Cheaper price but not quality.

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

I picked this fabric softener up because I didn't have that much money in my wallet but I also didn't want a store brand fabric softener. I knew that the detergent really works good so I figured Purex fabric softener would work really good too. Turns out I was right. It works just as good as the bigger more expensive brands so I'm going to continue to use Purex fabric softener.

I used it when I did a couple loads of blankets and it really made them soft and cozy. I also used it when I did my husband's laundry. It made his Dickie's work pants more comfortable for him to wear.

A little goes a long way. I don't have to pour a bunch of fabric softener in the washer in order to make sure that the good scent gets on the clothes. I washed a big blanket the other day and used the Purex fabric softener. Now the blanket is soft and smells amazing! The scent actually stays in my laundry for a good couple days. I am really pleased with it.

Purex Fabric Softener works great at a great price

from Mundelein, IL

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

For a long time I was a laundry snob: fancy name brand products only. A few years ago I tried Purex detergent and was really impressed; it worked just as well as my beloved Tide. So recently I decided to give Purex Fabric softener a shot, and I was just as pleased! Although it is quite a bit cheaper than many brands of fabric softener, it works really well. It smells great and leaves my clothes nice and soft. It seems to be gentle with my fabrics; clothes are wearing well and I've never had any problems with spotting or discoloration with Purex fabric softener.

Purex fabric softener works great! It's easy to use; fortunately, my washing machine has a cup for fabric softener that I fill up before washing and it takes care of releasing it at the right time. My clothes come out soft and in good condition with Purex fabric softener.

Purex fabric softener smells very nice. It's definitely got what I would call a classic fresh "laundry" scent. Sort of like the "cotton" scent that scented candles and room fresheners sometimes have. Purex does not have an overwhelming scent at all. If anything, I wish it had more scent and that the scent lasted a little longer. Sometimes the scent fades.

I love this product. It smells great and works great!

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

I thought that Purex only had a line of laundry detergent. When I saw Purex Classic Fabric Softener while shopping, I was surprised and knew that I need to try it. So I purchased it and used it the next day when I did laundry. I honestly was not expecting it to be a good product and bought it because it was on sale, but I will admit that I was surprised at how soft the clothes were after coming out from the dryer. Not only were the clothes very soft, but they smelled amazingly good as well. This product also left my dryer smelling great as well. The smell would last on the clothes until they would actually be worn, and the softness of it does not fade away easily either.

I was so glad that I purchaed Purex Classic Fabric Softener and tried it because honestly the other leading brand I was buying before was expensive, and barely ever would it go on sale. I switched over to Purex Classic Fabric Softener immediately and have been using it since the first time I bought it. It is a little expensive but it goes on sale every few weeks or so. It is cheaper than the one I used to buy before, and it works just as well.

Purex Fabric Softener works fine for ordinary loads.

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

The Purex sweet lavender and cotton fabric softener is a standard softener with a light scent. Many of the laundramats have high capacity washers, so you do have to use more than the recommended amounts for both laundry detergent and softener. Some reviewers saw this as a flaw against the product, but remember, the amounts are always for a regular load, not a large load. The softener worked just fine for a normal softening experience. Again, some reviewers felt this softener didn't perform as well as other brands, but for standard uses I thought the product did what it should do. I do my boyfriend's laundry as well, and he does not want any perfumey scent on his clothes, so we appreciate the less-than-lasting scent. I did notice some of the clothes had static cling as they came out of the dryer. To prevent that I make sure I add the softener to all the areas of the washer, thus reaching all the clothes. If you are using a dispenser, add more softener as it does tend to disappear. It does come in a huge container, so even if you have to use more, it's still cheaper than other brands. One general note on most detergents and softeners is that it's difficult to find a matching scent for both, unless you are just getting the kind without a specific scent. Personally, just like we do with shampoo and conditioner, I prefer both laundry and softener be sweet cotton or mountain fresh, etc. Purex, as well as other brands, don't have very many matching scents. I wonder why? In conclusion, Purex fabric softener will soften your clothes and linens and towels without too much cost or too much scent.

Good but not great fabric softener

from New York, NY

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

My family used Purex liquid fabric softener exclusively for 6 months until we made the switch to Snuggle last month. The reason we switched to Snuggle was because I was a little disappointed with the overall effectiveness of Purex. While I liked the way that it made my laundry smell, especially the Lavender Cotton, I didn't really notice a huge difference in the softness of my laundry. I also found that the scent didn't last very long and by the next day my clothes no longer had that fresh lavender smell to them. As I really wanted a fabric softener that would make me clothes feel soft and keep them smelling cleaner longer, I decided to make the switch to Snuggle (with much more positive results).

I would rate Purex fabric softener 5 stars for scent, 4 stars for price but only 3 stars for performance/effectiveness. If you are looking for a fabric softener to make your clothes smell fresh and clean I would recommend Purex, however, if you want your clothes to not only smell fresh, but feel soft too, I would recommend Snuggle. Overall, I would give Purex fabric softener a 4 star rating.

Good Softener

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

Price is not the best way to determine the effectiveness of a product. Although the more expensive brands such as Tide and Downy are very effective at what they do so is Purex. I use both Purex laundry detergent and the Purex fabric softener. Absolutely no complaints here. The bottle is easy to handle and pour and does not take up much room. The fabric softener can be used in either front or top loading machines. It leaves clothes with a totally touchable soft feel and great clean and fresh smell. The smell and softness last for good amount of time for the price, about a week or two depending on the item and use. My daughter has a favorite blankie that gets taken everywhere so it has to be washed often. The combination of Purex detergent and softener takes care of her without compromising the fabric's integrity with multiple washes and does not fade the coloring. She loves to rub her face in it after it comes out of the dryer with that soft feel and fresh smell. It also does not have any irritating effects on our skin as some other products have had.

"Smells Sooo Good.....Made Me Stutter" :)

from obɐɔıɥɔ, IL

Comments about Purex Classic Fabric Softener:

I went and washed my Papasan Cushion, Comfortor and a few Pillows, the other day. My daughter came along with me. As I was adding my detergent, she offered me some of her "Ultra Purex Regular Fabric Softener." I opened the cap and took a sniff....Smelled so good, I added some of this scented "Mountain Breeze" to the final rinse cycle. The smell was strong and thick enough, to use lightly. Once my things were dried, I noticed how great the smell was and the softness. A 44oz bottle will last 52 loads and the 77oz bottle will last 90 loads. The Ingredients Are: Water, Quaternary Ammonia Compound, Calcium Chloride, Dimethicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Milliken Liquitint Royal Mc. I am so looking forward to trying the "Fresh Scent" (uplifting scent of tropical fruits and fresh flowers) and the "Sweet Lavender & Cotton" (refreshing scent of fresh-picked lavender combined with sparkling citrus fruits and cotton flower) I would highly recommend this to a friend!