3.6
Other Condiments:
Sugar Substitute
PureVia
PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener

Summary

details_tab_sheet_text='The perfectly natural and naturally pure way for you to enjoy the sweet life without all the calories!The Sweetness Revolution:PureViaâ„¢ is poised to change the way Americans sweeten their foods and drinks. Whole Earth Sweetener Company is excited to introduce great-tasting PureViaâ„¢, an all natural, zero calorie sweetener. It is sweetened with 97 percent pure Reb A, a highly purified extract of the naturally sweet stevia plant.A freshwater brewing method that is similar to brewing tea extracts Reb A from the plant. After it is purified, Reb A is then blended with other natural ingredients and flavors to create a great tasting, all-natural, zero-calorie sweetener with a clean, crisp taste and authentic texture, but without the calories. Make Every Day Sweeter:PureViaâ„¢ is the perfect complement to a healthy lifestyle. Specially handcrafted for coffee, PureViaTM can be used to sweeten hot or cold drinks or sprinkled on cereal or fruit for a refreshing and guilt-free snack. PureViaâ„¢ is suitable for diabetics, certified kosher and gluten-free.PureViaTM Ingredients:Reb A (a natural, high-purity extract of the sweetest component of the stevia plant)Erythritol (a sugar alcohol naturally found in grapes and melons and produced from natural fermentation)Isomaltulose (a natural dissacharide found in honey and sugar cane juice and produced through natural fermentation)Natural flavorsCellulose powder (a natural powder that is derived from fibrous plants)Nutritional Information:One serving of PureViaâ„¢ contains:0 calories0 grams of fat0 mg of sodium2 grams of carbohydratesLess than 1 gram of sugars 1 g of erythritol Find PureViaTM in the Sweetener Aisle:PureViaTM is available for purchase in the sweetener aisle at grocery and mass merchandise stores across the U.S. It is offered in 40-, 80- and 300-stick cartons for a suggested retail price of $3.99, $6.99 and $15.99, respectively. Retail prices may vary by market. Also look for it in the sweetener caddy at coffee shops and restaurants.PureViaTM Sweetness Conversion ChartWhole Earth Sweetener Company is working on a PureViaTM sweetener for baking. In the meantime, follow the chart below to substitute PureViaTM for sugar in your favorite recipes. Sugar PureViaTM 1 teaspoon ¼ teaspoon or ½ stick 2 teaspoons ½ teaspoon or 1 stick 1 Tablespoon      ¾ teaspoon or 1 ½ sticks ¼ cup 3 teaspoons or 6 sticks ½ cup 6 teaspoons or 12 sticks 1 cup 12 teaspoons or 24 sticks PureViaTM RecipesFresh LemonadePrep Time: 15 minMakes 2 cupsIngredients:½ cup fresh lemon juice4 sticks (2 teaspoons) PureViaTM1 ½ cups cold waterIce and lemon slicesInstructions: In medium pitcher, mix lemon juice, PureViaTM and water. Fill two tall glasses with ice. Pour mixture into glasses; garnish with lemon slices.Sweet Georgia Peach TeaPrep Time: 10 minMakes 3 cupsIngredients:4 bags peach herbal tea3 cups boiling water6 sticks PureViaTMIce and peach slicesInstructions: Seep the tea bags for 6-8 minutes in water and cool. Dissolve PureViaTM and serve over ice and peach slices.Greek Frappe Prep Time: 5 minMakes 1 cupIngredients: 1 heaping teaspoon instant coffee2 sticks PureViaTM1 cup 1% milkIce cubesInstructions: Place all ingredients in a shaker and shake till frothy. Serve chilled or over ice.Blueberry Muffins Prep Time: 10 minutesMakes: 12 Ingredients:1 cup whole wheat flour1 cup all-purpose flour2 teaspoons baking powder½ teaspoon baking soda¼ teaspoon salt1 Tablespoon grated orange peel20 sticks PureViaTM1 cup buttermilk¼ cup oil2 eggs1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberriesOatsInstructions:Heat oven to 400°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups. In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, orange peel and PureViaTM. Stir in buttermilk, oil, and eggs; mix just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with oats. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool for 1 minute; remove from muffin cups.';

setTimeout(function() {$('details_tab_sheet').insert(details_tab_sheet_text);},5000);

PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener

3.6

Pros

Cons

A good, safe, no calorie sweetener almost as good as Splenda.

***Quick View:*** I am a Splenda girl. I did the blue packets and the pink ones and, of course, the white ones which are pure cane sugar. Obviously sugar tastes the best and is probably in many ways the healthiest of all the sweeteners but I drink a lot of iced tea that I sweeten myself and those calories add up. I switched to Splenda and loved it. Along came **PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener **and challenged my love. Read on to see if it won me over.

***My Take on PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener***

This sweetener has no calories and is made from Stevia which is a natural plant. It's good for diabetics and those watching their blood sugar for other reasons. It is all natural with none of the scary stuff in aspartame and similar sweeteners.

I received a box of **PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener** to try and I put it right to use. I drink iced tea all day long and I like to sweeten it myself (I can't drink pre-sweetened iced tea. Blah.). I normally use one packet of Splenda for each 24 ounce bottle/glass.

This sweetener comes in sticks rather than packets. This makes it easier to open and pour as well as to carry with me. I had no idea what the sweetening would be or taste like but the package says that one stick is equal to two teaspoons of sugar. I decided to use the whole stick in my iced tea and see what it tasted like. I will say this. One stick is NOT equal to two teaspoons of sugar by any means. It is more like one teaspoon, possibly less. But that's OK because I don't like things very sweet.

The taste is decent. I am so used to Splenda that I did detect a little bit of a funky, though not terribly unpleasant, aftertaste when I first started using **PureVia**. After a few times though, my taste buds got used to the new taste. I still do detect an aftertaste though which is slight but there.

For me, this product is fine for iced tea, plain yogurt that I sweeten and add vanilla extract to, and for baking some things. The reason it is fine is not that it has superior taste but because, to date, no one has challenged Stevia's safety. I would rather endure a slight aftertaste than end up with cancer caused by a sweetener. I will be taking an in depth look at both Splenda and **PureVia** soon and will reveal all about both.

***My Viewpoint***

**PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener** is my second choice non sugar sweetener. I like Splenda better. I like sugar best but not the 16 calories per teaspoon or the spike it gives my blood sugar. **PureVia** is better than aspartame and Equal as far as I am concerned and it is, so far anyway, SAFE to consume. ***The taste is 3 star, the safety is 5 so I will go with 4 stars.*** Give it a try. You may love it. Just give yourself a little time to get used to the taste. As with any sweetener, it takes our pallets a while to get used to new things.

PureVia: The Artificial Sweetener D'Jour

I recently received a box of **PureVia**, a Stevia-based natural sweetener in exchange for my unbiased review of the product.  Nothing new for me, I've participated in this way with a number of manufacturers.

Now as many of you may know, there's this whole thing regarding natural vs. artificial sweeteners going on.  I say let's hold off on any discussion of this issue until we've covered "Does it taste any good?"  Make sense to you?  Good.

**Stevia and me**

A few years ago one of my lunatic fringe green friends came over the house with a baggy of dried ground Stevia leaves and pronounced cane sugar dead.  So we put up some organic coffee, added some organic milk and stirred in some Stevia leaves.  Well there's a thing about ground Stevia leaves.  They don't really stir in.  They kind of just float around on top.  Aesthetically, it doesn't work for me.  Taste-wise, I found it left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth and an unpleasant sensation in my mouth.  I was diplomatic and above all polite...but I did make sure the baggie left with him.

About this time last year I purchased a box of  [Sweet Leaf Stevia Plus][1] .  It was a vast aesthetic improvement over ground Stevia leaves.  However, it did leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth and seemed to leave an odd sensation on my tongue, kind of like a coating.

**PureVia**

I was looking forward to seeing how PurVia would compare to my favorite artificial sweetener,** Splenda**.  Of course I was also curious of how it would compare with my earlier experiences with Stevia products.

Having now used it in my morning coffee, afternoon tea and my unsweetened breakfast cereal I have these impressions.  Packet for packet PureVia is not as sweet as Splenda and is not as free of aftertaste.  On the other hand it is a vast improvement over **Sweet Leaf Stevia Plus** in terms of lingering aftertaste.

As it turns out, PureVia is not a predominantly Stevia-based product.  Of the three active ingredients (all sweeteners) it is listed third behind Erythritol (a sugar alcohol) and Isomaltulose (a derivative of glucose).  In addition to being a sweetener, Isomaltulose is also an "aftertaste diminishing agent".  This may in part explain the reduced aftertaste of PureVia.

Carb counters should keep in mind that every packet of **PureVia contains 2 grams of carbs**.  Each packet of Splenda contains less than a single gram.

**Price Considerations**

**PureVia** as it is currently sold is a very expensive sweetener.  At approximately 10 cents a paket (or stick) it is about twice the price of **Splenda**, several times the price of **Equal** and several orders of magnitude more expensive than **Sweet & Low**.

**My Viewpoint**

One's favorite sweetener is obviously a very subjective thing.  While I can't say I dislike PureVia, I don't see it bringing enough to the party to displace the sweeteners discussed in the section just above.

In terms of taste I place it behind Splenda and Equal but superior to Sweet & Low.  Of course your taste may differ.

Rudi

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Sweet-Leaf-Stevia-Plus-review-dc265

Pleasantly Surprised

from Gilbertville, MA

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the free sample I received from Purvia Zero Calorie Sweetner. Like promised it tasted very close to regular sugar. I used it mostly in my coffee to replace sweet & low which I always worrry about using because 'they' say it's bad for you.

I was given a coupon which is a great plus and will purchase this the next time I am shopping.

The best thing was my husband who will not touch 'fake' sweetener products loved it! He thought it tasted just like sugar and he used it in his coffee also. I'd say it's a good product that I will definately recommend.

I did have to use three packets in my coffee to equal the two packets I'd use of sweet & low type products.

Nice alternative

from Windsor, CA

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

I am reveiwing the PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener. It is a very nice alternative to most sugar substitute sweeteners. There is no strong aftertaste that can develope in some sweeteners and is actually a lot better for you than most.

Great sweetener no aftertaste

from Granite Falls, WA

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

I recently tried PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener as part of a opinion panel. I have used it in several ways. It was great in my tea, my cereal and sprinkled over strawberries. The sweetening ability was wonderful. It took only a very small sprinkle over berries to deliver a delightful sweet flavor balance.

I am not sure how it can be no calorie since it does have 2 grams of carbs and carbs are not calorie free. I tried to find a reference to this contradiction online and could not find a true answer to my inquiry. Putting aside the few calories I believe it to contain, it is a superb sweetener.

I am generally very sensitive to aftertastes in artificial sweeteners. I found none

detectable here. My opinion is that it is great tasting and low calorie.

PureVia is a great way to sweeten without calories

from Naples, FL

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

I used PureVia to make lemon drop martinis. I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet tast e- just like sugar. It does not take much to sweeten things. There was no bitter aftertaste like so many sweeteners. I would use it on or in anything. I plan to use it in baking.

The PureVia sweetener is all right.

from Utica, MI

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

I tried the PureVia sweetener in my coffee and found it a little too sweet with an off taste. I cut down the package the next cup and then it was ok. So it does take some getting used to how much it takes to sweeten your drink. PureVia is really strong so it will surprise you how little you need to actually sweeten your food or drink.

I love my coffee and almost always put sugar in it so this is a good change to take an approach to a healthier life style.

The individual packages makes it really convienent to take for lunches and on the go. I have a lunchroom at work and the sugar is always out so this makes it really easy to bring my own and not in a container that I have to worry about spilling.

New and tasty!

from Columbia, MO

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

PureVia All Natual Zero Calorie Sweetener is new and different. I was pleasantly surprised at how it tasted. I've used other sweeteners in the past, I'm not a big fan of the others. aof this though. It was refreshing and easy to use.

PureVia is just Ok

from Greensboro, GA

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

**PureVia All Natural Sweetener **is first not really quite zero calorie, as has been pointed out elsewhere it contains 2 grams of Carbohydrates which convert to some small percentage of calories but less than 1/2 of 1 calorie.  **Splenda** by contrast is able label itself 0% of carbs as it has less than 1 gram.  Honestly all of this is pretty much in the range of meaningless.

**PureVia** is made primarily from **Erithritol,** **Isomaltulose** and the third listed ingredient **Reb A **which is an extract from the **Stevia Plant** and is where most of the sweetness comes from although it is only the third and final ingredient listed (which by labeling standards means that it is the least plentiful ingredient of the 3).  The other ingredients are "natural" in the sense they are derived or fermented from growing things, the first is a sugar alchohol and is produced from glucose through fermentation.  The second is manufactured enzymatically from sucrose and is a natural constituent of honey and sugar cane.  It is absorbed into the small intestine as glucose and fructose - which means it is unsuitable as a sweetener for people with disorders in fructose metabolism, such as heridetary fructose intolerance.  **Wikipedia** warns that **Isomaltulose** (the second listed ingredient) is not suitable for people with such disorders as they are likely to experience severe adverse affects.

Stevia (or more correctly Reb A which is what is actually approved for use in the US) seems to be the current flavor of the day in alternative Sweeteners or Sugar Substitutes and probably like other testers I was glad to receive a free box of PureVia to try.  I may still try the Stevia Product that is combined with Cane Sugar to determine if the aftertaste and bitterness is from the Reb A or the other ingredients.

Fortunately neither my Wife or I have any fructose intolerance so we were able to try the free sample of **PureVia** we received as sample from the company through Viewpoints.  We both have now tried multiple packets of the sweetener and our 2nd Point regarding it is much more damaging from our perspective than the first.  It has both a **bitterness** and an **aftertaste**.  Neither of these are as pronounced as many other artificial Sweetners such as Saccharine (**Sweet 'n Low)** or Asparteme (**Equal & NutraSweet**) and were it not for other better alternatives (at least by my and my wifes taste) this would be a winner.  Unfortunately for **PureVia** and the similar **TruVia** they are coming out after a decade or more of Sucralose Sweeteners (**Splenda**) and Marketing and the aftertaste and bitterness is much more pronounced than that from Sucralose (Splenda).

In addition, Sucralose is stable when heated making it a suitable cooking substitute for sugar in many cases or it can be combined with real sugars and even comes packaged with brown sugar for baking.  As a Professional Chef, I would not even use Sucralose for cooking without thoroughly testing the recipe, although I will commend several of the recipes in **Marlene Koch's Sensational Splenda Recipes** cookbook and for those who want baked sweets without so many calories they are quite good.  However, when cooking or baking for a non-dieting or mixed audience I still find that real sugar is a key ingredient.

Back to **PureVia**, again it is probably too bad that it came 10 years after **Splenda** because it is certainly superior to and less objectional tasting than either **Sweet 'n Low** or **Equal** / **NutraSweet** and probably would have a major market were it not for **Splenda** and the other **Sucralose** products.  But with pricing similar too or higher than **Splenda** and the other **Sucralose** products I fear that **PureVia** will have tough sledding.  For those who find **Splenda** unsatisfactory and still want an alternative low calorie sweetener, I would not hesitate to recommend **PureVia** over the other alternatives.  But for my Wife and I, we both find Splenda to be a superior tasting and lower carb alternative and **PureVia** would have to be **MUCH less expensive **to make it a reasonable alternative (and honestly I'm not sure even at half the price would I choose **PureVia** over **Splenda**.

Add in the ability to cook and bake with **Splenda, **an its availability in bulk packaging and the choice really becomes no choice at all in my mind.

As to the packaging being recyclable or recycled either one this to me is so meaningless as to be not worth mentioning except someone else did so I will debunk it.  It is packaged in very bulky packaging for the amount of sweetener delivered and the cost and energy in producing the excessive packaging and then transporting it far offsets any gain from recycling.  So even if you are fool enough to buy into the environmental claptrap at least think critically enough to realize when companies claim some green BS that almost always that is what it is BS.

Purevia is purely sweet and taste like real sugar.

from West End, NC

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

Purevia has changed my feelings on sweetners. This stuff is great. No after taste. It really taste like sugar. I ate a packet by itself just to find out. I've also shared it with co-workers and they also liked it.

Not to bad but is healthier then sugar

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

I have tired this product after getting it from a street promotion of it. I think it is too sweet and tastes like smashed up candy. I didnt get an after-taste but i did use to much and made my tes way to sweet. I think you have to use have a packet in anything. So you are using less product saving you money. It is healthier then sugar and it is good for diabetics so that should be a good delling point. I would never use the Artificial Sweeteners because they kill lab animals and cause cancer. No thanks..

I've had better

from Miami, FL

Comments about PureVia All Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener:

I switched from  Splenda after my doctor advised me that the only sweetner that is natural and comes from a natural source are those from the Stevia plant. I did find this product to have a strong flavor though and it does change the taste of my coffee which I don't like. I prefer Splenda much more but have switched since it is healthier.