3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

This Iron Is Affordable & Works Well

I have to say my husband & I were a little reluctant about this iron because it was so cheap, but to our surprise it has been a great iron. We do a fair amount of ironing and this little iron gets it done every time.

This iron is lightweight, it does steaming & it has settings for different fabrics. Two things this model does not have is a retractable cord and auto shut off. We have dropped the iron at least once that I know of and the iron is still going strong.

This iron offers:
Proctor Silex Nonstick Iron
8" Nonstick soleplate
Spray mist or blast
Adjustable Steam

Proctor Silex Steam Iron 17291Y Is For Simple Steam Ironing

Proctor Silex Steam Iron 17291Y does an average job of steaming your clothes. It does have some benefits. It has a non-stick sole plate. It has an on/off indicator light. It also has an easy-view water window, so you can see when you need to add water for more steam. When you want to dispense the spray, it comes out in a fine-mist. You can adjust the steam to your liking. It does a fairly good job of removing wrinkles in your clothes, but it does “not” get rid of all of them. There are other steam irons I have tried that remove all wrinkles. Your shirts, tops, skirts, dresses and other clothing will look nice; but some wrinkles will remain. Sometimes it spills water, if you knock it over while ironing. It is lightweight, so it is easy to carry and store. It heats up quickly, and it is easy to clean. It has temperature problems upon occasion. This iron will not last for years because it is not that lasting. The design and color of this steam iron is attractive, especially considering the cheap price. It is perfect for people who travel. The “Proctor Silex Steam Iron 17291Y” is an iron for someone who likes quick fixes, and who is always on the go.

Decent little iron

from Greenville, SC

Comments about Proctor Silex Steam Iron:

We have had this iron for about 5 years now. It was super cheap and it's very basic but it gets the job done. It irons nicely and it heats up fairly quickly. It is simple to use as you just turn the dial to what kind of fabric you are ironing (cotton, polyester, etc.). You can add water and use the steam function although I never do that. Be careful as this iron does get very hot on the cotton setting. One nice thing is that I have never had to clean this iron. As long as you don't use it to iron/melt plastic you shouldn't need to really clean it. The design is simple yet the iron is pretty durable. Be careful as the cord is easy to get tangled up. We store it with the cord wrapped around the iron so that might not be the best way to do it. Sometimes when I iron, the cord swings out and gets in the way and once I almost ironed the cord. Otherwise, this iron is good at what it's supposed to do and it's inexpensive too. Great "starter iron."

Proctor Silex Steam Iron 17291Y Is For Simple Steam Ironing

from Stockton, CA

• Safety:

A very durable steam iron

from Flint, TX

Comments about Proctor Silex Steam Iron:

When I married, my husband had a basic Proctor-Silex steam iron and ironing board so I didn't have to worry about asking for or getting either. That iron is now 40+ years old and still going. It's simplicity has been one reason for it lasting as it only had a low setting with ranges from synthetic, steam, wool, cotton, linen to high setting. It was so durable that I moved it from everyday ironing duties to my arts and crafts iron when I began teaching arts & crafts in public school. I continued to use the Proctor Silex iron for a span of 25+ years in class and still use it for such to this very day. And it is still working just as good now as it did 41 years ago when I married. It has even been dropped several times but it is still going. I do arts and craft bazaars now instead of teaching so I have used my craft iron off and on for the past 4 months making things for my bazaars. It's there, ready to go as I sew then press, sew then press daily. It is certainly a very durable and reliable iron for me through out all these years.

• Safety:

One purchase I'm not happy with

from Santa Fe, NM

Comments about Proctor Silex Steam Iron:

Disclaimer: I didn't buy this one my wife did so I can blame her for this.

Seriously, what i dislike about this iron most of all is the placement of the control. Also, it is very lightweigh and require a LOT of pressure and steam to get wrinkles out.

Although it heats up quickly, it is very lightweight and require a substantial amount of elbow grease to accomplish any ironing. My folding travel iron works as well as this one.

Safety
It can't be faulted for safety, it provides none. There is no automatic shut off.

It does clean up without a problem due to the non-stick plate.

I really don't consider this iron easy to use. It is too lightweight for any heavy fabric and even on light fabrics it requires a lot of pressure to force out wrinkles.

I guess for the price it is durable, but again I shy away from using this iron (we own another).

I simply HATE the design that dial in the center of the water tank under the handle is hard to read and I find that I either set it wrong or inadvertently change the setting and don't notice that I have.

• Safety:

It is a very poor product from a well known and reputable compan

from Louisville, KY

Comments about Proctor Silex Steam Iron:

Poor steam production using only distilled water. The first one stopped working within two weeks of purchase. It's replacement worked fairly well for six months. After that, I've had to work on it about once a month to keep the steam working.

Batting 1000 on two of this model

Safety
No better or worse than an average iron.

No better or worse than an average iron.

Heats quickly, but produces no steam.

Great if you need a dry iron.

Average for this class of iron.

This Iron Is Affordable & Works Well

from Livin' on the edge of the world, FL

This iron offers:
Proctor Silex Nonstick Iron
8" Nonstick soleplate
Spray mist or blast
Adjustable Steam

Proctor Silex is a good value iron

from Auburn, WA

Comments about Proctor Silex Steam Iron:

I've actually had the Procter Silex Steam Iron for several years and haven't had any problems with it. It's very inexpensive and does the job just fine. My favorite thing about is how lightweight it is. It makes big ironing jobs much easier because your arms don't get as tired. It heats up pretty quickly. It just has one know with settings that are very straightforward and easy to use. It has been dropped a few times and keeps on working. Actually, it's the first iron I've owned that hasn't broken after being dropped. I do wish it had a retractable cord for easier storage. I would definitely recommend this iron for everyday ironing of clothing. However, it doesn't work quite as well for pressing seams, etc. for sewing. It still works, just not as well as other irons for sewing purposes.

I've never actually had to clean it so I'm not sure how easy it is.

cheap iron

from Washington, DC

Comments about Proctor Silex Steam Iron:

I think the best aspect about this iron is that it's cheap. I think you can get it at a supermarket (large chain) for about 10-15 bucks when there's a sale. It's a no frill iron. In other words, it gets hot and you iron. Quality wise, it's not as substantial as some of the more expensive models. of course, the proctor silex model doesn't have as many features. I think for the price, this iron is perfect for someone who doesn't do much ironing. It's best as a just in case you need it item. I rarely iron and didn't want to spend a lot of money on an iron. For the money, it's just nice to have an iron in the closet for just case occassions that require a crisp shirt. I haven't had much problems with leakage and your clothes does get ironed pretty quickly.

The Proctor Silex iron works GREAT!

from Sarasota, FL

Comments about Proctor Silex Steam Iron:

Proctor Silex has always been a good name in my book......and this iron continues that tradition. It is easy to use, has a non stick surface that makes ironing with starch a breeze and heats up quickly. This iron is also lightweight which makes ironing larger amounts of clothing much easier on the shoulders. The water reservoir is a good size and doesn't have to be refilled often. The settings are accurate so I can trust that my more delicate fabrics will not be burned because the iron is too hot. I iron everything from 100% cotton to nylong and polyster blends and I have never had a bad experience using this iron. The steam vents stay clean and I have not had a problem with any hard water build up in them as I have in the past with other irons. I would definately recommend this to family and friends.......and to my husband if I could get him to iron!

Simple and inexpensive

from Sanford, MI

Comments about Proctor Silex Steam Iron:

What can you really say about this iron. It is simple and inexpensive. I bought this iron because my old one finally died. I needed one quick so went to the local department store and looked for something that was cheap. One other thing I looked for was an autoshut off. This model fit the bill to a tee. I got it home and plugged it in. Now I don't do any heavy ironing, so thisiron was simply removing the wrinkles from fabric that I was going to paint on, stick down iron-ons, and do some light shirt ironing. Now granted, I have not fully used the capabilities of this iron, but it seemed to work fairly good, though perhaps not as well as my other iron. The only issue I have with this iron is that it is awkward to handle. But overall, if you are on a budget and need something reasonably inexpensive that will do the job, this is the iron.