Other Mixers:

Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer

Pros

Cons

• Mixing Performance:

Convenient to buy, and inexpensive

I wanted a small hand mixer for baking my many desserts and held off because the ones attached to mixing bowls are very expensive.   And, there was a straight hand held appliance which I guess is considered a type of blender-mixer, that I gave away.  When you want a regular simplistic hand mixer,  trust this brand because it has been around for quite awhile.  It is easy to manipulate, and because of its lightness and size, it  rests easily on the table or counter.  It has one switch with several speed positions.  This has allowed me to get the right texture for my mixture.   The blade or mixing part fits into the slots easily,  and is simple to pull out.   You can just soak to clean.  It can easily be found  in supermarkets, drug stores and other stores in our New York City area.  I have not checked on-line.  It was very inexpensive and I happened to get in on sale.  I have not had it for long so I don't know the durability or longevity of its use.  But, I have dropped it and it still survived.  Give it a try if you need one right now.

Mixing Performance
For the price, size and type of mixer, it has been quite beneficial to me. I have not broken it yet, and I probably would not find a larger type, as workable with what else I have. Storage is a problem in general for me, and I do not have the issue with this model.

I easily insert the two metal parts for use and pull them out when finished. I soak them simply in soapy water, cleaning them easily. The outside of the blender is wiped off with water or soap and water.

Easy to take out and store, small enough to handle, works for what I need to do.

For what it cost, durability, size, I was surprised it functioned to what I needed it for. Some people want something different, so I took it down one degree.

I dropped it and I tend to break a lot of things. It seems to do well in functioning, but time will tell. The bread kneading listed in the ratings are for a particular type of bread making. If it is something you are going to be making in large sizes or particular types, you should go for something else.

Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer

I have a mixer with bowl and really just wanted something small for everyday meals.I would not recommend for doughs or anything major.With what I use it for it's handy to have around.It is lightweight and affordable.Don't really like the small beaters sometimes get clogged with some things hard to clean.Also doesn't always get all clumps out.It is good for mashed potato's and things already soft.Whipping eggs,cakes easy stuff.Good for children learning to cook also not to bulky and easy for them to control.

Mixing Performance
Mixes well I guess beaters are kinda small and sometimes doesn't get all the lumps out as good as heavy duty ones.I do like the fact it's lightweight and cheap.Least when I burn out motor won't be upset.

With the beaters being small sometimes hard to get all the gunk out unless soak awile.Otherwise easy to wipe mixer but letters dull fast.

Well it's lightweight easy to store.Just enough speeds to do the little jobs.It is good for children to help when cooking.

The design is nice easy to hold and manuever around.I just wish the beaters were bigger and blended things better.

I know you get what you pay for so jut holding my breath till the motor burns out.But so far the money spent has been paid back by many uses.

Good for basic use and infrequent bakers like me.

from West Des Moines, IA

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

I needed a cheap, basic hand mixer for my occasional baking needs, and this worked out fine for the most part. It's very easy to use and has a cord that's thick and durable to last a long time and plenty long enough to reach my wall outlet. I just have a couple complaints with it. First of all, the slowest speed is still not slow enough sometimes and will cause powdered mixes to fly out of the bowl. I will often stir the wet and dry ingredients to moisten them before turning on the mixer. Secondly, I had to replace the beaters after they got rusty around the places where the blades connect to the shaft of the beater. I no longer have the instructions for this, so maybe they were supposed to be hand-wash only. I was putting them in the dishwasher, but the new ones weren't too expensive and I will hand wash them in the future and dry them right away.

Mixing Performance
Mixes well but wish there was a slower speed.

First set of beaters rusted.

The beaters click into place easily and pop back out again with the push of a button.

It has a long cord and a flat bottom for standing the mixer up next to the bowl to catch drips.

Mixer itself seems to last a long time. Beaters not so much.

• Mixing Performance:

My go to mixer for baking

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

This small hand mixer is perfect for smaller batch baking recipes (or anything in a smaller batch that you need to mix). It is extremely easy to get the attachments on and off (a quick snap on/off) and it is very easy to use. The adjustable speed is useful because you can use these for a variety of recipes. The downside is that if you are inexperienced with using them, you can easily crank up the speed too high and end up making a splattering mess. It is important to remember

Mixing Performance
Since this is a small hand mixer, you do not get the power that you do from other mixers. That being said, it is perfect for cake, brownie and cookie mixes. It is not as effective for things like cheese cake or anything where you are using cream cheese.

The beaters easily pop out and are dishwasher safe. The unit itself is easy to wipe down.

It doesn't get much easier then snapping the attachemnt into place and flipping the own switch. It does take a few uses to get used to the speed/power of the different speed options and which is best for your recipes.

I like that this easily fits into a drawer for quick and easy storage.

My mixer has lasted well through the dishwasher, dropping it and two moves. I'd say this is pretty durable.

• Mixing Performance:

Really superior handheld mixer, outstanding mixing abilities

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

Really top of the line hand mixer. We have one of the bowl mixers as well but this one works just as well without as much clean up, really tremendous machine.

Mixing Performance
It mixes everything really well. We do a lot of cooking and baking and this one comes in handy even with heavy duty mixing. Works really well on potatoes, blends to perfection.

No big mess with this mixer, just pull out the whisks and toss em in the sink or dishwasher. The handle section wipes off very easily as well.

We make a lot of cakes and brownies and sometimes we don't really feel like cleaning out the bowl of our stand alone machine so we power up this one and it chops through like butter, buttons smoothly glide through speeds on the handle.

Great design, really impressed with the overall feel in your hands. Doesn't really feel like a regular hand mixer, it grips really well.

I've dropped it on our hard wood floors a couple times and still runs like new. No real signs of heavy use, which we put it through regularly, really great.

pretty good product

from Ellerslie GA

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

I have previously and in the past purchased and used this Hamilton Beach Proctor Silex 5 Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer and I really did like it. I found that it worked really good for an amateur baker/cook such as myself. I found that it worked wonderful for mixing cake batter and frosting and other things that do not need a lot of power. I really love the size of the Hand Mixer. It is very small and convenient and easy to store. It does not take a lot of space at all. I also love that it has five different speeds which makes me be able to use it for a lot more of my recipes. It does a good job of mixing. I also found it pretty simple to clean. You just remove the two metal mixers and rinse them off and put in the dishwasher as they are dishwasher safe. It also has stood the test of time and I have had it for a few years. The price for this Hamilton Beach Proctor Silex five speed hand mixer is very reasonable as well. Over all I was very satisfied with it. The only thing is that I need a larger mixer for larger jobs.

Hamilton Beach 5-speed mixer nothing special

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

I got this Hamilton Beach Proctor Silex 5-speed mixer as a wedding gift several years back. I was too self-conscious to register for a nicer one but really wish that I had. This mixer did not hold up very well and has gone to the appliance graveyard. The 5 speeds that it claims to have is more like 3 speeds. There really is no low speed, but it just starts off pretty fast and only gets faster. It works okay at mixing cookie dough, but I think that a higher quality mixer would produce better results as far as baking goes. I would not recommend this mixer for someone that is serious about baking. It is a cheap mixer and performs pretty cheaply. I would consider a KitchenAid mixer for not that much more money. I think that anyone would be happier with another brand of mixer other than Hamilton Beach.

The 5 speeds are really more like 3 speeds and there is no true low speed on this mixer.

Mine lasted only a couple of years which is not that impressive.

Hamilton Beach Proctor Silex hand mixer

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

I have had no issues with my mixer, there are a few things I would change about its overall performance, but for the price it is a good mixer.

Mixing Performance
The slowest setting is still a little too fast when you need to mix something slowly without making a mess. Overall it mixes everything that I use if for very well. Because of the slowest setting being a bit too fast, I tend to have liquids splatter when mixing though.

The beaters and mixer are very easy to clean if you clean up immediately. As with anything if you let food set on, it will be harder to clean.

This is a super easy mixer to use. My children who are 12 and 14 years old help me cook and they both use this mixer without any problems.

The design is nice on this mixer. It is easy to grip and hold when mixing.

This mixer is very durable. I have dropped mine a few times and it has not cracked or broke. It is made to take a beating and still work.

Hamilton Beach Proctor Silex 5 Speed Hand Mixer

from Hermiston, OR

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

I found this Hamilton Beach Hand mixer on sale and bought it because I was short on money and needed a hand mixer. The cord is long enough and stays out of the way when mixer is being used. The beaters are easy to install and the one touch push button on top of the mixer works well when you want to remove the beaters. The mixer itself is light weight and very easy to handle. The only thing I could find wrong with the mixer was the multi speed switch button on top only operated with one speed, fast, no matter what number you set the button on. I took the mixer back to the store and got a replacement of same style. I had more problems when I turned the second mixer on. The first setting, low, turned out to be super fast. Not a good thing to have happen when you are trying to blend butter and sugar. The speed of the mixer never changed when I moved the button from low to high. I ended up hand mixing my recipe and throwing the mixer in the garbage. It just wasn't worth my time to go back to the store for another exchange. The motor itself in the mixer was high pitched and loud.

Great value!

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

This Hamilton Beach mixer is a great value for it's low price. After using the previous iteration for 6 years, it finally died and I had to replace it with this one. Works great for whipping, mixing, blending, beating and has a convenient bowl rest built right in.

I gave it an 8 out of 10 because the attachments are quite small on this new version. Also, you have to be careful. When making doughs, there will come a point where the dough gets thick and you need to still add more flour. DO NOT continue to use the mixer at this point or you will burn out the motor. This mixer is definitely light duty. Best for liquids and lighter mixes.

Mixing Performance
As stated above - it's great, but not for thicker things. I killed my last one on some pizza dough.

The beater attachments come off with a press of a button and everything cleans up lickety split. I couldn't be happier.

The design is pretty great - although they could have moved the release button. I tend to rest my thumb near is when I use it and, while I have never released the attachments on accident, I probably will eventually.

Handy Little Mixer

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

I know Hamilton Beach products tend to cost a little less than other kitchen product brands out there but that does not mean they are not reliable or can not get the job done. I received my hand mixer from my mother-in-law for Christmas two years ago and it still works just as good now, as the day I got it. The mixing blades are dishwasher safe which is very convenient considering there is usually a big mess after baking. My uses for it are mainly for baking in the kitchen. It works great a variety of of mixes and consistencies. I love the varying speeds offered so that I can start slow and work my way up to higher speeds once everything is better blended and I know I won't be splattering batter all over my kitchen. This mixer also has a feature not found on any others that I have seen (although there are probably other that do have it) a bowl rest. It is a little indentation on the back that allows you to leave the mixing blades in your mixture and rest the mixer on the edge of the bowl without it sliding into your mix or off onto the counter. It comes in handy when adding ingredients to the mixture as you go but need both hands, such as eggs. The blades are easily released by pushing the control button down to eject them. The mixer is also light weight which is nice if you plan on making a lot.

The Perfect Christmas Gift

Comments about Proctor Silex 5-Speed Easy Mix Hand Mixer:

I got this hand held mixer last year as a Christmas gift from my grandchildren. Now that my children are adults and out of the house they are baking for themselves. I like to make pancakes, scrambled eggs over the weekends and this mixer is just the right speed and hand size to mix the pancake batter for me and my spouse. The speeds are just the right speed to mix eggs with milk and pepper and there is no splatter running down the size of the bowl. I just recently mixed chocolate cake mix batter to make a cake. I whipped homemade chocolate frosting to decorate the cake. A delicious weekend football family TV watching dessert.

Mixing Performance
I love the mixing speeds all speeds have performed well as I usually mix pancake batter, eggs, and cake mixes varying the speeds.

The beaters get perfectly clean in our dish washer.

The mixer is still performing quite well, for it's almost a year, and many weeks that I have used the mixer mainly for breakfast and dessert treats.