Other Acne & Blemish Treatments:
Proactiv

Pros

Cons

• Immediacy:

some one once called me.... pizza face

people can be so cruel sometimes. growing up as a teenager can be really hard. going through pueberty, learning and discovering who you are... trying to fit in (or out depending on your personality) worrying about bullies.... etc etc.

so that stress plus ACNE!... trust me it could make what a teenager view of "life" a struggle! I used so many products as a teen growing up. trying to avoid bad skin at every hand.

moving on... when i discovered proactive... the entire set including the solution refining mask, i thought i found a miracle in a bottle!!! the refining mask itself is so refreshing once you rinse it off... it leaves your skin feeing fresh, clean and bright....

my skin cleared up soooo much using the products of pro-active, but i will say this..... never ever EVER run out!!! the thing about proactive is you cant... NOT use it, once you've started. i got a pimple here... then there.... all while waiting on my next shipment.

so in a nut shell, I would definitely recommend this product, because it truly works. but i'll only say get it if you can keep using it! if not.... DONT! and its pretty steep on the pockets so, make it worth it if you're going to invest.

Proactiv Refining mask is not all they make it out to be!

I have been using Proactiv skin care for a few years.  In the beginning it seemed to help keep me from breaking out.  Now that I have been using it for quite a while it doesn't seem to do as good a job.  The one thing that bothers me about their commercials it that they are selling the refining mask as a spot treatment for overnight!  This is not the directions on the product and not what is was initially sold as.  You are suppose to put the mask on your face for 10 minutes and then wash off.  It looks like mudd, smells like sulfur and my ex-husband wouldn't come near me after I had used it because the smell stays on your skin.  No where on the bottle did it say to put on as a spot treatment and leave on overnight! So I am wondering when the specifics of this product changed and I am not seeing the benefit of doing this.  It doesn't work well. Mostly makes the pimples you have red and angry looking.  I rated it as OK  because it is hard to tell whether it does much or not.  With the regular Proactiv system when you have breakouts they go away faster.  Not sure this product exactly speeds up that process! :)

GREAT PRODUCT.

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

Whenever my face has a bad breakout, I ALWAYS turn to the Proactiv Refining Mask. I don't know what it is, but this product just works incredibly well. After one use, two or more days later, I can notice my face getting clearer, and clearer. I also use it with the Proactiv three step bundle because they all work together so well. It just makes sense. :)

Helps Prevent Breakouts

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

I used Proactive three step for about a year. With minimal results, I decided to stop, however, I kept using my Proactive Solution Refining mask, which usually came as a free gift.
This mask makes your skin feel and look better. It helps present future breakouts! Although the directions say to use for about 30 minutes, most of the time, I slept with this mask on. When I rinsed it off the next morning, my skin felt so refreshed and new! Obviously, it is very important to keep your skin moist when using a mask, so I would always moisturize right after washing this off my face. It was like a little face lift overnight!
I noticed by just using the refining mask, I had less breakouts and my skin and pores looked and felt clearer. My blackheads were gone, with the exception of a few. The pimples I had, went away overnight, and future breakouts were stopped ahead of time! Proactive refining mask saved me from a lot of embarrassing breakouts during my high school years!

Proactiv Refining Mask

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

The Proactiv Refining Mask is amazing! It comes in a tiny tube, but it lasts a while because you are only supposed to use it once a week. It has a very thick consistency, but it's easy to spread across my face. You only put on a thin layer. It says to leave it on for about ten minutes, but sometimes it takes close to fifteen minutes for all of it to dry. When it's dry, you have to wipe it off. This is not a peel off mask. Getting the mask off your face is the hardest part. Sometimes, I have to scrub really hard to get it all off. It's frustrating, but it's worth it! This mask leaves my skin so soft! All the blackheads on my chin and nose completely vanish. The morning after using the mask, my acne is reduced by about fifty percent. I wish I could use it more than once a week, but I think that might irritate my sensitive skin. I am not a fan of the Proactiv regimen, but I will always use this refining mask.

• Immediacy:

The best mask I've ever used

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

I absolutely love this product. It came as a free sample with my proactive order. I fell in love and liked it better than the entire regimen. It's hard to explain how wonderful your skin will feel after this mask. It is very easy to apply. Just a thin layer on your entire face except eyes and mouth. You're supposed to leave it on for about 10 minutes but you can leave it on longer. I've actually fallen asleep with it on. I feel like the longer it stays on, the better the results. It just starts to crack and peel on its own after a while. When you're ready to remove it, just use a warm wet washcloth to remove it. Water alone will not work. It's too thick. I don't know what magical ingredients are in this thing but it will deep clean your face like never before. Your face will feel so soft. No traces of dirt, oil, or makeup will be left behind. It will feel fresh and clean. The scent is also very refreshing. Please do your face a favor and try this mask at least once in your life. You will be happy you did.

• Immediacy:

i only like one proactive product...this is not it

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

Burns my skin, makes it red for ever, and doesn't do a very good job with helping to remove and prevent acne. Also really dried my skin up

Didn't prevent or treat acne

Side Effects
Dried up my skin, burnt my skin, and made it red for hours after application.

Immediacy
Didn't notice any results from using this product.

I expected more.

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

When I first ordered the Proactiv Solution Refining Mask, I was very excited since I have heard great things about the product. Upon receiving the package though, I was left a little disappointed. The tube was actually really small, and for the price I paid, I thought it was going to be a bit bigger. Since the price of this face mask was a little higher than I had hoped for, I assumed that the product was going to be of a decent quality. Unfortunately, I was left disappointed after using the Proactive Solution Refining Mask. While it was easy to apply, and it didn't sting my skin during use, it did dry my skin out quite a bit and it felt dehydrated after using it. I hoped it would have dried out my acne, but instead I noticed I was breaking out even more, and I don't break out that often! For the price, I was expecting a much higher quality, but it was comparable to some of the inexpensive face masks at the drugstore.

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

Okay, first off this stuff smells like rotten eggs because it is all sulfur. However, it is that sulfur that is supposed to kill bacteria, penetrate the skin, and clear up acne. I have had numerous bottles of this stuff in varying sizes over the years. I want it to work, I honestly do. Unfortunately though, I can't say as I have every seen an improvement in my acne. An worse, that smell lingers forever. At least that sulfur penetrates deep because you can literally smell it when you sweat or re-wash your face. It burns a bit, especially if you are already irritated, as more acne prone skin is. If you over use it, you'll peel and get red. It will irritate the skin around the eyes and mouth so be careful when you apply it. Also, it will ruin your wash clothes. The sulfur with color fast them and remain smelly even after washing them. I have found that it is useful when you have a popped zit that you'd like to dry up, even over night. Just dot some on the area and go to bed. It will be less red and inflamed in the morning. A word of caution about allergies, do not ever use this if you suspect you have a sulfur allergy or even mildly react to sulfites in wines. If you have bad acne, believe me you'll try anything. Because all skin is different, it may work for you. Buy a little sample bottle first though, because the big bottle is an expensive waste if it doesn't work or you're allergic.

Great spot treatment

from SalemNY

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

I received this as a sample with my Proactiv kit. I didn't really pay attention to the Proactiv mask until I got a huge breakout on my chin. Ifigured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I put a layer over the breakout before I went to bed and it actually stayed there all night and didn't rub or flake off. The next morning I had to scrub a little to get it to come off bit the breakout was significantly smaller. Not gone, but smaller. I didn't expect a miracle like the commercials made me want to believe but this worked pretty good. I use this now and again if I get a large breakout. I haven't tried it as a mask yet. I also won't repurchase this because it is pricey and I can only find it online.

Works really well on acne spots

Ease of Application
Dab some on spots or apply layer on face, pretty easy to do.

Convenience
Simple to store, can only buy online though.

Side Effects
Didn't cause any for me.

Immediacy
Helped reduce size of acne overnight.

I like this.

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

I tried using the Proactiv solution when I was in High School, and needless to say, it did NOT work for me, at all. All it did was inflame my skin and make me breakout more. However, I received a free tube of this during one my shipments and it worked amazing! I used it as an overnight mask or spot treatment, and in the morning when I woke up my skin felt amazingly smooth and I noticed my pimples had shrunk a good amount. One or two nights of this and the big obnoxious pimples would dry up and be gone. I recommend this Proactiv product, but I feel the face washes are just way too harsh.

• Immediacy:

Amazing skin clearing product!

Comments about Proactiv Solution Refining Mask:

This is such a great skin clearing product, clears up breakouts overnight and leaves skin fresh and bright. I use this in combination with the Proactiv three step skin cleansing system. Works great as a spot treatment for the occasional pimple, or can be used as an entire face mask to help prevent break outs. I use it as a face mask once a week to keep my skin looking great!

Works great as a spot clearing product or as an all over face mask. Clears acne overnight, no more disgusting pimples!

Ease of Application
Application is simple: Apply to a clean face, all over or as a spot treatment, goes on without difficulty.

Convenience
Put on before bed, rinse off in the morning, doesn't get much easier than that!

Side Effects
I had no negative side effects from using this product.

Immediacy
This works overnight, positive results the next morning! This product can also be applied as a spot treatment and then rinsed off in 15 - 20 min, but I think you get better results when left on overnight.