3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Immediacy:

I am a lifer! Used Proactive for over 10 yrs, still the best!!!

**Proactive** is a really super powerful yet still mild facial cleanser, created to treat mild to moderate cases of acne. **Proactive Solution **uses benzyl peroxide as its main ingredients - which hasn't always been effective on me over the years, but the way the **Guthy-Renker **has formulated its **Proactive Renewing Cleanser **it just clicked! I have suffered from acne since I was a young child and here I am, just turning 40, and still have both cystic and surface acne. **Proactive Renewing Cleanser **is the first over the counter product that has delivered the amazing results I have experienced over the last ten years.

Although some people maybe be allergic to benzyl peroxide, I have found it to be quite affective on me in the form of this cleanser. I have not gotten great results from the other products in the** Proactive **line, but the **Renewing Cleanser **is fantastic.

**Proactive** is a medicated cleanser that is made with tiny little micro-crystal grains of benzyl peroxide as well as ***"featuring smaller, finer particles designed to quickly penetrate pores to start killing acne-causing bacteria on contact. Tiny exfoliating beads gently remove dirt, excess oil and dead skin cells to help keep pores from clogging."***

I wash my face with **Proactive Renewing Cleanser **one in the morning and then again at night. Sometimes when I abuse my face with make up primers or other harsh make ups, I will still have flare ups - but my skin does not seem to have a reaction to this cleaners if I put a dab on a zit directly before I go to bed...so basically I use this as a wash AND as a zit spot zapper. This might not be good for all people, especially those with a know allergy to benzyl peroxide.

Some people say **Proactive** is pricy, but having pimples can be a nightmare - and honestly **Proactive** costs as much (or less than) any other acne system out there, the difference is THIS works for me, the others have failed! I would honestly pay more for **Proactive Renewing Cleanser **if I HAD too....it's that good.

Although some people maybe be allergic to benzyl peroxide, I have found it to be quite affective on me in the form of this cleanser. I have not gotten great results from the other products in the Proactive line, but the **Renewing Cleanser **is fantastic. It cleans my face wonderfully and almost has a calming affect on my skin.

Ease of Application
You only need a small amount per washing; just need your hands, this soap and water. Rinse well and keep it out of your eyes.

Convenience
You can find this online and in some mall kiosks. This is as convenient to use as any other face wash.

Side Effects
I've noticed no side effects...it seems to be very gentle.

Immediacy
Within a few days, this product seemed to work well to clean up much of the acne (not all) on my face. The other products in the line didn't work well, so I do use this in combination with other ance products.

Proactiv, big hype with no bite!!

I have had acne and breaks outs since i was about 12 years old. It is in my case hereditary, my father has deep scars to prove it. When my older teenager sister and 2 brothers started breaking out before ninth grade was over, i new it was probably a guarantee that i would too suffer from acne. I got to let you know, in my family didn't have just ordinary breakouts of pimples or occasional black heads! We had the kind of acne problem that looks like huge purple nobs sticking out of our faces. Not in different areas with large spaces in between, our faces had practically no area without a huge purple/red/bloody puss filled pimple. (although, pimple doesn't describe what only looks like a huge cyst or nob to us). Not to minimize the problems people with very little if any acne or a few blackheads, who claim there life is over or that they cant go out on a date with "this huge zit", but i would choose that over the hell i went through as not only a teenager, but at my current age of 38 yrs. still suffer from. It so bad at one point it hurt to put my face on the pillow at night for fear they would either bleed or stick to the pillow. But that was the problem that was at the bottom of my list of acne issues. I had such low self esteem and would get so anxious in a room full of people, or just looking at the person i was talking to because i imagined their thoughts about my face when they faced me, so i avoided people as much as i could get away with minus teachers, etc. I then experimented with make up, thinking if i covered up red or purple spots with my shade of compact and cover up that people would't notice my pimples and craters (i started getting craters at 14). "I WAS SO WRONG" !!! Which i was unaware of for my high school years and up till i turned 21. i guess people were too polite or felt bad for me that no one ever told me what i looked like with make up caked on. That is until the night i went to a club to celebrate my 21st birthday and overheard something so earth shattering, that at that moment i ran crying out the door. The person i heard commented to her friend about me saying, "Check out that chick with the Bon-do (similar to crazy glue way back) mask!!! I would be surprised if her pet dog licked her with a face as scary as that!" Then her friend responded, "That's a face that not even a mother would love". So as an adult i saw all the hype about proactiv along with the many ads, commercials, testimonials, and guarantee so good that if you tried it, and used up all of it but were still not happy, you would get a full refund for your total cost. That along with actual photos from real users before and after shots, i thought what the heck, i have tried so many products/help tips over 20+ years, that this gave me hope of finally! The doctors who developed proactiv were specialist in dermatology/science and that was a plus.
So i ordered the 3 step kit and waited anxiously for the package to arrive!! When I got it, i started the 3 step program and as stated on package that its results are not instant, and that we have to use it 1 month or more before a noticeable difference is noticed. I new my acne was so bad that i figured i would need a 6 month supply up front because that would be what was needed for a crater face like mine. Don't get me wrong, i was not expecting my face full of scars that have been there for over 20 years to disappear. I knew that acne pits or craters like mine would need laser removal to remove. I starting using proactiv for my adult pimple/black/white head problem that at 38 yrs. i still suffered from to at least lessen the redness and extreme breakouts/dark spots/red/purple spots.
So i am not here proclaiming that i bought proactiv and expected instant or even year old results. I ended up using proactiv for 2 and a half years hoping/praying and wishing that if i kept using it that i would get results. I realized how hopelessly sad and desperate i must have appeared to my children/family. I spent so much money on the proactiv system alone, not to mention bonus products that were sent to me without me even asking for, and then charged at a later date sneaky like so i wouldn't notice right away. So anyway, after all this i had no change except for having more pimples then before i used the product, so i contacted proactiv customer service leaving not only several email messages, but usps mailed letters and calling their many phone numbers all to avail. Then after weeks of not responding, i got an email back for each one i sent, only notifying me that "your message has been received and you will soon be contacted by a proactiv team member who can best answer your questions and solve you probem." That never happened! The minuscule emails and automated voice mail messages i did receive were useless because all they said were thank you for taking the time to contact proactiv, we value our customers, and welcome any future comments or questions you might have!! After a year and a half of hell and ridiculous responses, i finally got a customer service rep who didn't act rude and seemed to generally care about my issue. So i told her the whole story you just read, and realized just then that i was not going to get any help. She basically said after first apologizing about my bad experience using the product, that there were conditions and steps i should have carried the day i ordered and received the first purchase or the guarantee promised is void~~!@!! In other words, if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is. I will mention a few of the many **restrictions and requirements" in small print. one was to take a picture with 2 affidavits from people who you asked to verify the authenticity of when and where it was taken along with statements verifying they witnessed me packaging the picture/pictures, sealing and mailing the envelope proving they were not altered or edited in any way. Another was what they required the user to do if they wanted to qualify for the offer of trying it or a full refund if you aren't satisfied guarantee offered for proactiv. That is to not only get a few people to witness and then fill out notarized affidavits stating to be a witness to your use of the proactiv 3 step program throughout the first 60 days. How out outrageous!!! What a farce!! So without ranting any longer about my hellish experience using proactiv then the worst part trying to actually get someone to help with my issue. This is only my opinion, not proof, but just my experience with this company and product. There could be and probably are millions of people who had a great experience with this product which i totally understand. I might just help one person who like me has the same hopelessness and embarrassment which then i would like to say to them that if they are going to try a new acne product which costly, they should read all the facts and small print they can find online or at stores selling the product so their eyes are open and they purchase the product with all they need to know. This is advice for anything you purchase!! it has now become my rule with all my purchases after this experience with proactiv.
I hope it helps!!

There was more acne after using it then before i tried it.

Works at first then over dries out your skin

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

I never had acne until I was in my late 20s and early 30s. I couldn't believe how bad my skin was getting so I was willing to try anything. Enter actually calling an infomercial about proactive and ordering the product. I was excited to see that they weren't kidding. I saw my skin clearing up in less then a week. Even my huge problem areas were clearing up and my skin was smoother then it had been in years! I was so excited I was telling everyone about how awesome Proactiv was. Then my skin started to really dry out. To the point of almost being flaky even when I used their green tea lotion. I learned that this does really work well, but it works best when used in moderation. Now I use my regular facewash for the most part and reserve proactiv for the once a month or so that I get acne flare ups or when I feel I need a really deep clean.

Side Effects
At first I thought this was the greatest product ever. My skin felt cleaner, it almost glowed and my acne was going away. But then I realized it was really stripping my skin. If you use all the steps and are washing your face more then once a day, your skin will likely become too dry for continuous use of these products, even with the lotions.

Immediacy
I saw improved skin within a week of using this product.

• Immediacy:

Works well, maybe not well enough.

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

I originally purchased Proactiv Renewing Cleanser for my teenager at her request. It was definitely more money than I had ever spent on skin care for her but she was starting to get breakouts and I thought that if it worked well for her it was worth it. I am in my 30's and still occasionally get a zit or two so I figured we could both benefit from it. I found that it was definitely to harsh for my sensitive and mature skin. It may have been something that my skin would adjust to but it wasn't so amazing that I felt it was worth trying to find out. As for the teenager I think it would have probably been more effective if she had actually used it twice a day every day but for my 13 year old at least that wasn't happening. As a result I think that the Proactiv was good on her skin, but possibly not much better than what I had been buying for her at the drugstore previously. To be fair she also didn't have really bad acne. If she had maybe we have noticed a bigger difference and maybe she would have been motivated to use it more consistently. She did tell me that her skin tingled a bit after using it but she never experienced dry, red patches like I did. I also never felt like it really increased her sun sensitivity, although we are always VERY careful about using sunscreen so maybe that is why.

Not for sensitive skin

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

Proactiv Renewing Cleanser was apart of the first over the counter acne treatments I ever used. I used this product for months without any results. My skin even got worse during this time period. My skin got bright red and shiny. My face would look fresh after rubbing the cleanser on my face, but within 15 minutes my face would be completely dry. As the day went on my face would get extremely oily to the point people would ask me if I was hot. People thought I was actually sweating because of the amount of oil on my face. I was using the SPF lotion that came with it and my skin was still oily. I stuck with this system for 4 months and never achieved clear skin. What I come to realize years later after trial and error is that my skin was too sensitive for the micro-beads in the cleanser. Any type of cleanser with beads aggravates my sensitive skin. I definitely wouldn't recommend the Proactiv Renewing Cleanser to any one with sensitive skin.

Not worth it

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

Dealing with this company first of all was more frustration than worth. I had purchased their line for a trial and decided to pay for an extra month to see if it improved. I did end up having to call to end my subscription however l was charged for two additional months worth of product which l never recieved.
The product itself appeared to do nothing. Their instant spot treatment was the only part of the product line which did anything. This cleaner only made my skin dry and broke out more. I was better off without ever having used it to begin with. It also left my face with a potent and unappealing smell. They tell you that it takes a full month to notice a change, however after two months of using this, I can tell you, their statement is false. I had absolutly no improvement. I never had horrible acne but would get an occasional breakout once a month or if l was stressed. I will be finding a better face wash and less false promises. I would recommend anyone else avoid this product and save your money.

Not for sensitive skin

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

I have always had an issue with acne breakouts. I like to call myself a connoisseur of facial washes and treatments because I've tried so many in order to help with my flare ups. My aunt actually showed me the proactive solution and I said why not. Upon first application of Proactive renewing cleanser I noticed it had a gritty texture to it and smelled kind of chemical like. After about three weeks of using it I was noticing a slight decrease in my acne breakouts however I was still having the occasional flare up. My skin was also becoming very dry itchy and flaky. I was even using the lotion that it came with but it seemed to not work at all. My skin was becoming less red from that acne but it was becoming more shiny and tight looking from being so dry. I eventually stopped using the proactive renewing cleanser because I was just not happy with the results I was getting.

Waste of Money.

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

This expensive face wash hardly did anything for my skin. If it were nit so expensive I wouldn't feel the way I do. I advise anyone thinking about purchasing this product to go anywhere else and find a better option. This product got rid of some acne but didn't work well.

Got rid of some acne after a few days. Whiteheads were reduced but blackheads were not touched. Unlike what the advertisements make you believe, you will not have a clear face overnight.

Ease of Application
If you follow the directions the product is easy to put on.

Convenience
This product doesn't work and is hard to find unless you are at the mall, online, or a commercial for proactiv happens to air.

Side Effects
I didn't have any side wffects, although, I don't have sensitive skin and rarely have allergic reactions.

Immediacy
The immediacy was horrible because the results that I was looking for never really came. It took a few days to get rid of whiteheads but other blemishes stayed until they healed by themselves.

• Immediacy:

Meh, only works some of the time

from Arnold, MO

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

I like this stuff and still use it but I certainly cannot use this everyday. I switch between this cleaner and another brand every couple of days because my face can't handle this daily. I notice an improvement while using it, but a miracle, it is not.
My husband on the hand (who does not have sensitive skin) uses this every day and his face has cleared up sooo much.
I suppose this product may work well for you, just be careful if you have dry or sensitive skin.

I don't have horrible acne but I certainly don't have clear skin (I am 37). I have very dry and sensitive skin and this stuff is just too harsh for my face to be used on a daily basis. I noticed a change for the better (not as much as I had hoped) but I can't use it regularly enough to maintain.

Ease of Application
Easy to use. My only complaint is the "grittiness" of the product, which has a nice exfoliating effect, makes it hard to use around your eye area, I wash my face with this in the shower and have to avoid my eyes when using this product.

Side Effects
This is harsh when used on a daily basis for my dry and sensitive skin.

ehhh.

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

I got horrible acne at around age 13. My mom suffers from adult acne and she used ProActiv so she bought me some. This cleanser smelled TERRIBLE and I didn't like it's consistency. That was 6 or 7 years ago, before they reformulated their system. I tried it again at about 16 years old and I didn't really see much difference. It didn't make my face feel clean, and it really irritated my skin. Both trials with Proactiv went about the same, it improved my skin at a small degree for about a week, then it totally plateaued. Proactiv is a very strenuous, expensive product for basically no results. It wasn't very much product at all either, and it didn't spread very well so a lot was necessary. I would use two bottles of the cleanser for one of everything else. The only Proactiv product worth using is their green tea moisturizer! Not to mention how horrible Proactiv's customer service is and how hard it is to cancel a subscription!

The best thing ever

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

I have suffered from acne since I was 13 years old. I am now 39 and sad to say, I still have problems with acne and breakouts. I have tried literally every over the counter face wash and acne solution out there. They either flat out did not work, or they dried out my skin or irritated it. A few years ago, while watching tv one night, I saw a proactive commercial and decided why not? Maybe this will be the one to work for me. And if not, what do I have to lose? So the next day, I called and placed an order for their small three piece kit which came with the cleanser, toner, and repair lotion as well as the refining mask. I dutifully used it morning and night, following the process precisely. And using the refining mask three nights a week. Miracle of miracles, within the first few days I began noticing and improvement. My skin for the first time in my life began to look normal. Within a month my skin looked clear and healthy with no blemishes to be seen. Although it did dry my skin out some, as I have sensitive skin, that was easily remedied by using a thick night moisturizer at night, and a lighter one during the day. I could not be happier since I made the decision to purchase this product and I consistently purchase it every month. I do not know what I would do without my Proactiv. This was a life saver. Especially at my age, when it is quite embarrassing to be still struggling with acne. Thank you to the makers of this wonderful product!

Great Product

Comments about Proactiv Renewing Cleanser:

I used this product all through high school and really loved it. I never had a lot of acne but this product did a great job at cleansing my skin and keeping my pores clear. I used it every day after I removed my makeup and it was not too harsh on my skin like other products I had used. It did not dry out my skin and leave it flakey which was great. I would recommend this product for daily use to keep you skin clear and clean.

This product did a great job at removing all the grime and dirt from my skin after a long day at school. It made my skin feel refreshed and clean and left it feeling silky smooth. I never had bad acne but this product did a great job at keeping my skin feeling and looking great.

Ease of Application
This product is so easy to use. Just apply, scrub and rinse.

Convenience
This product is just as convenient as any other scrub or cleanser. You cannot use it anywhere because you obviously need a sink to rinse your face off but it is still a great product.

Side Effects
I had no side effects with this product.

Worked great and fast.