3.9

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Travel Your Own Way at a Good Price

In years past when trying out priceline.com, you could make an offer of a particular price you wanted for a flight, and just might get it, but you couldn't be assured of the airline you were flying on or the times of departure and arrival. For hotels, there seemed to be a little more control we were allowed. It was enough to scare me away, that and William Shatner. Yet urged to try it out again by my sister who I was making travel plans with, I found there to be much more control in our hands, yet the prices are still kept lower than we were able to find anywhere else.Traveling to New Orleans, we were checking out many of our old familiar websites, but finding the "deals" to be a little more than we were willing to pay. We tried looking up individual hotel sites as well as all the airlines and all the travel sites, such as Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. Our time to travel was only slightly flexible, as my parents were traveling to New Orleans as well, and we wanted to be down there in time to surprise them and spend a few days with them.We put in several different choices of travel dates surrounding the days in which my parents would be there, and came up with combined prices of hotel and flight, with many different hotel choices. We knew where some of them were from previous trips to The Big Easy, but some we had to look up, which we were able to do there from the Priceline site. We saw some great prices, but these were guaranteed prices with a large window of traveling time.With families to tend to, along with the fact of knowing you get more bang for you buck traveling to New Orleans if you arrive in the late morning and leave in the late afternoon, we wanted exact times of arrival and departure. We were able to utilize an optional link that gave use exact flight times with exact Airlines. While these prices were slightly more than the general prices with the unknown flights and times, they were still very reasonable.We thought we did pretty well with our arrangements and the price. For just over $900 a couple, we had air and hotel. Our hotel was the Holiday Inn Chateau Le Moyne, just one block up from Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. We'd never stayed in the French Quarter before, so for us to find this at a good price was pretty exciting. We had flights on American Airlines, a preferred airline for us, an arrival at 10:30 in the morning, and a departure home at 4:30 in the afternoon. We were arriving the day before my parents and departing two days before them.After the original booking of our flight, everything went as planned. I received an itinerary by email, and two weeks before departure, Priceline emailed me some reminders with links for my itinerary and any additional booking we'd like to do, such as rental car and tours. Just a note, if you're staying within walking distance of the French Quarter and plan on spending most of your time there, there is no need for a rental car, especially with the price of parking as it is. We checked into our flights arriving and departing with no hassles, and checked into our hotel with the same. I used to be a dedicated user of Orbitz, but I'll admit that now I'm rethinking this. I've always checked the other travel sites, but never found better deals than I was getting. I think Priceline may have just found a new customer.

Do NOT name your own price.

I enjoy using travel websites to book my own travel.  My friend told me about the "Name your own price" feature on Priceline and I decided to check it out.  I had an upcoming trip to plan and decided to try to get a 4-star hotel for $100.  I was successful in "naming my own price" but the hotel I got was by no means a 4-star hotel.  It was horrible.  If you want a full review of the hotel priceline sent me to, check out my review of the Plaza 500.  To put it succinctly, the place sucked.  Not smart enough to stay away from the "name your own price" feature despite my unfortunate stay at the Plaza 500, I used this method to get a room ijust outside Seattle in a town called Bothell.  The hotel was given 2 1/2 stars and I got it for $79 a night.  The price was great and it was even a very nice hotel, much nicer than the Plaza 500, but I was given a smoking room.  It seems that when you name your own price, you are not given a chance to refuse a room that is hazardous to one's health.  I suffer from asthma and could not stay in the room for more than 2 minutes at a time before I had to go outside to try to get my breath.  The front desk staff was completely unhelpful and even claimed they had recently been in the room and had smelled only a slightly musty smell.  They told me that not only did they not have another room available, they had double-booked 6 rooms.  A line from Seinfeld came to mind, the one where Jerry is trying to rent a car and, despite a reservation, has learned that there is no car being held for him.

I now know better than to try to name my own price on Priceline.

i will not be using priceline again

from portland, oregon

Comments about Priceline.com:

I booked a trip with Priceline. My name was misspelled in the reservation (it was missing an "i'). Fixing it cost me $55 ($30 to Pricelina and $25 to the airline) I was directed to call the airline if I only wanted to pay the $25. The airline told me I could only do it through Priceline. So it took me over an hour to get this process started

I was forced to sleep outside on a bench

from Ohio

Comments about Priceline.com:

Rolled into Winston Salem to find that the hotel Priceline booked me at was overbooked. After 50 minutes on hold I finally got through, at 12:15am in the morning. After an hour they booked my across town. I took a taxi to find out Priceline made a verbal reservation, meaning they won't get paid, then called back and cancelled the reservation in an effort to push their Priceline reservation through. Someone else took the room. It was the last room in town and it was 2:30am. I was on a motorcycle in NC, rode from OH. I called them and back and at 2:30am Priceline told me to find my own room. I slept on a metal bench in front of hotel B. In the morning I took another cab back to hotel A where my motorcycle was. I was out a nights sleep and $60.00 in cab fares.

NO CANCELATION/CHANGES ALLOWED

from Nashville TN

Comments about Priceline.com:

I booked a hotel, but saw a discrepancy in the room size (the same picture was on the hotel's website but the sq footage of the room was bigger than the one that I booked) so I contacted Priceline to upgrade to the larger room. Their response was "you agreed to our terms and conditions" followed by a copy-paste of the no changes/cancelations policy.
This is absurd, I only wanted to upgrade to a better room. I will never use this service again.

NEVER AGAIN WITH PRICELINE!

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Priceline.com:

Priceline does not deserve 1 star! I bought two airline tickets with Priceline. Had an emergency and needed to fly out the same day, just 12 hours later. United Airlines tried very hard, even conferenced on the phone line with me and a supervisor at Priceline. United airlines agent asked Priceline if she would release the ticket since it was a bulk ticket and Priceline refused to release it. I lost all of the money for two flights because Priceline would not release the Bulk Fare Hold. United Airlines agent pleaded with them and told the Priceline agent the ticket was within the fare agreement to make changes. Priceline refused! I will NEVER use Priceline again.

I would never book with Priceline!

from Deltona, FL

Comments about Priceline.com:

I called twice to get clarification on a booking. The first one was because it states that 3rd and 4th guest sail free. When you start the booking, it says $600 for the cabin, okey great! My assumption is that , it is 4600 for the cabin and my kids are free. When you finish the reservation, the price per guest jumps up to $1200 and the kids do have zero. I called customer service and they explained that the price showing at $600 is about how much you would be paying per guest, so what I am saving here?? Other sites have the same $600 per guest with no misleading advertisement so the 3rd and 4th guest in the room are not free!!

I called again about the deposit, it says we will waive the deposit and book now with no deposit due! Great!

After the reservation , there is a $524 deposit due, I called customer service once again, and right from the beginning the lady named Carmen had an attitude with us, or maybe that's just the way she is, from the beginning I already just wanted to hung up and forget about this cruise with priceline!
She stated that Carnival's deposit is $1000 which is true because I went to their site right after.

Why does Priceline puts " you can book your room with $500 deposit instead of $1000 today"
If they already know Carnival's deposit is $1000 from the beginning, the customer doesn't know that, all we are seeing is book today with no deposit!

Just a waist of time and other companies that do this is a shame. I'll rather just go directly to the cruise lines and pay what I need to pay, but at least I know there are no surprises and customer service is much better !!

Do not use Priceline

from San Antonio

Comments about Priceline.com:

Purchased a flight for my daughter and I. One way one week in advance. The day after confirmed purchase billed to my credit card, the ticket was canceled by Priceline with no notification to me. No reason. No call. No email. Show up for flight to find out we have no tickets. Cost me 700 more dollars to buy last second. Contacted or Priceline customer service and they had no apology and no explanation. I'll nevet use their services again.

Awful customer service!!! Never ever again!!!

from Virginia

Comments about Priceline.com:

Awful customer service!!! Never ever again!!!

BUYER BEWARE- NOT WORTH THE FEES OR HASSLE

from Knoxville, Iowa

Comments about Priceline.com:

I spent about $1,000 purchasing two tickets for a trip that I ended up needing to cancel. After a few hundred $$ in fees were deducted, I was issued a credit of $700. (Whatever, I know airlines gouge you on changes like that.) HOWEVER, I was instructed to call the help desk when I wanted to rebook using my credit, which I attempted to do this morning. I was informed that $400 MORE would be deducted from the credit in "change fees", leaving me with less than a full ticket's worth of credit! (For the record, the $700 credit included the change fee already.)
The representatives I spoke to were snarky, entitled, and genuinely seemed to be enjoying my frustration.
I will never use this service again in my life, and as an avid traveler, I will advise anyone I know to shop elsewhere as well.
Whatever good deal you THINK you're getting on your flight/hotel/rental car/etc...is NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.
Avoid Priceline like a plague- horrific experience!

priceline stil money

from HAWTHORNE CA

Comments about Priceline.com:

I USE THE PRICELINE BEFORE BUT TODAY CALL THEM, REGARDEN ONE RESERVATION I DONT USE BUT STIL THEY GOT MY MONEY IS NOT FEAR
THEY THING U HAVE TO PAY FOR A NOT USE SERVICE

Poor service helpers

from Naples, FL

Comments about Priceline.com:

Try to modify a reservation due to poor reviews and willing to pay more.
Spoke with Omar, was useless. Told me he could not help me in any way and was nobody above him to assist me.
Very lousy setup. Very polite person, just has one word on the vocabulary " no ".