Other Travel Websites:

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Travel Your Own Way at a Good Price

In years past when trying out priceline.com, you could make an offer of a particular price you wanted for a flight, and just might get it, but you couldn't be assured of the airline you were flying on or the times of departure and arrival. For hotels, there seemed to be a little more control we were allowed. It was enough to scare me away, that and William Shatner. Yet urged to try it out again by my sister who I was making travel plans with, I found there to be much more control in our hands, yet the prices are still kept lower than we were able to find anywhere else.Traveling to New Orleans, we were checking out many of our old familiar websites, but finding the "deals" to be a little more than we were willing to pay. We tried looking up individual hotel sites as well as all the airlines and all the travel sites, such as Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. Our time to travel was only slightly flexible, as my parents were traveling to New Orleans as well, and we wanted to be down there in time to surprise them and spend a few days with them.We put in several different choices of travel dates surrounding the days in which my parents would be there, and came up with combined prices of hotel and flight, with many different hotel choices. We knew where some of them were from previous trips to The Big Easy, but some we had to look up, which we were able to do there from the Priceline site. We saw some great prices, but these were guaranteed prices with a large window of traveling time.With families to tend to, along with the fact of knowing you get more bang for you buck traveling to New Orleans if you arrive in the late morning and leave in the late afternoon, we wanted exact times of arrival and departure. We were able to utilize an optional link that gave use exact flight times with exact Airlines. While these prices were slightly more than the general prices with the unknown flights and times, they were still very reasonable.We thought we did pretty well with our arrangements and the price. For just over $900 a couple, we had air and hotel. Our hotel was the Holiday Inn Chateau Le Moyne, just one block up from Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. We'd never stayed in the French Quarter before, so for us to find this at a good price was pretty exciting. We had flights on American Airlines, a preferred airline for us, an arrival at 10:30 in the morning, and a departure home at 4:30 in the afternoon. We were arriving the day before my parents and departing two days before them.After the original booking of our flight, everything went as planned. I received an itinerary by email, and two weeks before departure, Priceline emailed me some reminders with links for my itinerary and any additional booking we'd like to do, such as rental car and tours. Just a note, if you're staying within walking distance of the French Quarter and plan on spending most of your time there, there is no need for a rental car, especially with the price of parking as it is. We checked into our flights arriving and departing with no hassles, and checked into our hotel with the same. I used to be a dedicated user of Orbitz, but I'll admit that now I'm rethinking this. I've always checked the other travel sites, but never found better deals than I was getting. I think Priceline may have just found a new customer.

Do NOT name your own price.

I enjoy using travel websites to book my own travel.  My friend told me about the "Name your own price" feature on Priceline and I decided to check it out.  I had an upcoming trip to plan and decided to try to get a 4-star hotel for $100.  I was successful in "naming my own price" but the hotel I got was by no means a 4-star hotel.  It was horrible.  If you want a full review of the hotel priceline sent me to, check out my review of the Plaza 500.  To put it succinctly, the place sucked.  Not smart enough to stay away from the "name your own price" feature despite my unfortunate stay at the Plaza 500, I used this method to get a room ijust outside Seattle in a town called Bothell.  The hotel was given 2 1/2 stars and I got it for $79 a night.  The price was great and it was even a very nice hotel, much nicer than the Plaza 500, but I was given a smoking room.  It seems that when you name your own price, you are not given a chance to refuse a room that is hazardous to one's health.  I suffer from asthma and could not stay in the room for more than 2 minutes at a time before I had to go outside to try to get my breath.  The front desk staff was completely unhelpful and even claimed they had recently been in the room and had smelled only a slightly musty smell.  They told me that not only did they not have another room available, they had double-booked 6 rooms.  A line from Seinfeld came to mind, the one where Jerry is trying to rent a car and, despite a reservation, has learned that there is no car being held for him.

I now know better than to try to name my own price on Priceline.

They kept my money and refused to refund it for unused night

from Monroeville, AL

Comments about Priceline.com:

I booked five nights at a price maybe 10-20 dollars cheaper than I could have directly with the hotel. After 2 nights there, I had to check out to return to work. Priceline kept my entire amount and refused to refund me the unused nights at the hotel. I will NEVER use PRICELINE again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priceline and agoda

from Augusta, GA

Comments about Priceline.com:

I booked a room for Comfort Suites Murfreesboro TN. When my family and I showed up to the hotel at 1230am we where told there was a problem with the computer system and the room that was showing as available was actually under renovation, and we were not the only people this had happened to. This town had most all of the hotel rooms booked, took another 30mins very late at night to find a room for my husband and 2 young children. I was told by the hotel attendant that I would not be charged until he took my card which he did not. I checked the next day and noticed I was charged for the room on my account. I called the original number I had on my email, then I was transferred 3 times, had to give a different number each time, when I spoke to the specialist with Agoda after 35 minutes of waiting and being transferred, he wanted a different number he told me I could find it on the email that was sent, I was traveling talking on my cell phone and could not look at my email and talk on the phone at the same time, he told me to call back when I had the number. Really? So I now have to hang up find the number you want, call back and wait another 20-30 minutes or more to talk to a person to get these charges reversed. I requested a supervisor multiple times he would not let me talk to anyone else. Luckily I was able to find the correct number from the 3 numbers that I found on the email I had wrote down. I did get the charges removed and an offer for a hotel room in the same state. But, I was not vacationing in that state nor do I live in that state. I will never use the "free night". I will never use this site or any other site like this in the future. I feel this was all very inconvenient and received little compensation for the company and hotel's mistake.

Never use again

from Florida

Comments about Priceline.com:

Very deceptive at time of booking room. Could not cancel one night of a three night stay. Customer service is horrific at best. They definitely don't care about their customers. Save yourself the grief and either book for yourself or use someone else.

Reservation

from Albuquerque NM

Comments about Priceline.com:

Priceline is set up to rip you off! I called to cancel a reservation, which is still nearly a month away, but they will not give us a refund!! WOW!! Big time rip off!!

Wouldn't budge. Cost me over $200

from Rockford, IL

Comments about Priceline.com:

8 days prior to my reservation, plans changed and I needed to cancel my hotel booking. Even though it was over a week in advance, Priceline would not budge and said they were more than happy to cancel my reservation for me, but I still had to pay the full amount. Wow! Thanks for nothing Priceline. There are other travel sites that are much easier to work with especially with that amount of advanced notice and I will be using them in the future.

PricelineStinks

from Florida

Comments about Priceline.com:

I booked a room with Priceline and the bedding option was either 1 king, 1 queen or 2 doubles. I am now told through chat with Cesar and Denise that my room with be 1 double. This is not what I agreed to. They refuse of correct it. I'm 5'10 and my husband is 6'5. We will not fit on one double bed. I specifically read the description before I accepted; This is VERY important. The chat feature is worthless. Be warned. You don't always get what you agree to. This was also within 20 minutes of booking the reservation, nobody can help. I booked on Jan. 31st and my trip isn't until July 31st but nobody can get me a bed that will hold 2 ppl?

I will never use priceline again

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Priceline.com:

Winter Storm Jonas prevented me from flying to Nashville to meet friends. The airline had no problem refunding the money for the cancelled flight DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER that many major cities on the East Coast were dealing with. Priceline would not give me a refund because they said the hotel needed to cancel the room. I called Priceline and the hotel 3 times each. Each time I spoke with a different person and each time I got the run around. The hotel cancelled the room but Priceline would not refund me until the hotel refunded them. The hotel has a contract with Priceline that does not require them to refund Priceline, thus Priceline won't refund the consumer because they don't want to lose money. Seems to me if a blizzard shuts down the federal government exceptions are in order to refund a hotel room for two nights. Awful customer service, will not use them again.

Do not name your price tool

from Glen Mills PA

Comments about Priceline.com:

I just booked a car rental from Tampa Airport, the choice of providers indicated that the company listed was on site not a shuttle. When the price offered was accepted it stated that a shuttle was needed to get the car. I called immediately within 2 minutes I was connected to an agent and basically was told " tough luck" you should have read there is a no cancellation policy. I explained the reason that I needed to have a car rental on site and was hung up on.

Heartless

from Orange, CA

Comments about Priceline.com:

Priceline and their employees are heartless and I'm going to make sure all of my friends and family never use this service again.

READ FINE PRINT ON CAR RENTALS

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Priceline.com:

I rented a car thru priceline and did not read the fine print. My car reservation could not be cancelled or changed in any way. The car rental company they put me with (Budget) requires a credit score of 600 w/no collections if you use a debit card. Since I don't have a credit card in my name, I will now end up paying $345 for a car I can't rent.