3.4
Preen
Preen Garden Weed Preventer

Preen Garden Weed Preventer

3.4

Use Preen very carefully; read my note for explanation.

My observations regarding Preen. For years I have grown tomatoes along with banana and bell peppers in a small back yard garden in the Dayton, Ohio area. I would have to use eight foot tomatoe stakes because the plants would grow to be more than seven feet high. My only problem was the continous fight with weeds. Then I saw the advertisement for Preen and that it not only was safe for your flower beds but you vetagble garden also. So, I started using Preen in my vetagble garden and flower beds. I would apply one treatment in the spring following a tilling of the soil and putting in the plants. I insured no Preen granules stuck to the plant foliage. The Preen did an excellent job of suppresing about 90% of the weeds all summer. For the next four years I used Preen every spring, but every year around the first of July the foliage on the tomatoe plants from the bottom up would slowly turn yellow and curl up and fall off. By the end of August the bottom two thirds of the plant would be foliage free. It was a strange sight to see only the tomatoes hanging on these half dead plants. In additon, the plants were lucky to hit a height of five feet. I consulted numerous experts and the consensus was I had a soil based fungal wilt disease that was attacking the plants and cutting off water delivery to them. However, these fungal wilt diseases were also suppose to attack pepper plants and my plants were still doing well; this could not be explained. (There is no cure except to not plant in the infected area for six to eight years and hope the fungus dies off.)

One day I mentioned this issue to a friend and out of the blue he asked if I was using Preen in my vetagble garden; I responded "Yes". He told me to stop! His parents previously had the same issue. He told me it would take about two years for the Preen chemicals to break down and disappear from the soil.

It is now mid August 2012 and my second year of not applying Preen in my vetagble garden. I am now back to my seven foot plus tomato plants with no leaf wilt whatsoever. I now just carefully spot treat the weeds in my garden once a week with a brand name grass and week killer and this seems to work well. My garden is weed free.

I also realized yesterday that Preen may be the reason all of my flower bed hostas begin shriveling up around the first of July no matter what care I give them. Only the hostas in areas where I did not apply Preen in the spring continue to look healthy. Next year I will not apply any Preen and hopefully this time next year I will let you know what the results are.

Preen Garden Weed Preventer made a noticeable difference.

Preen Garden Weed Preventer proved to be an average product for me in my garden.  I have garden boxes that have weed preventing paper lined on the bottom of the boxes.  As an added measure, after getting my black dirt, I sprinkled the Preen Weed Preventer in one of my garden boxes.  I had ran out by time I got to my second garden box, and unfortunately got lazy and never bought new before planting my garden.  Aftr working the weed preventer into the soil lightly on the one garden box we planted our seeds.  I loved that the Preen Weed Preventer was safe for my garden seeds/plants!  I also loved that it had some fertalizer in it as well!  Come late June I had one garden box that boasted noticeably larger and green bean plants - even though each box had the same bean seeds planted in them!  This was because the box with the bigger nicer plants had the Preen product worked into it.  I didn't notice a huge difference in weed control, although both garden boxes stayed quite weed free (better than I had anticipated at least!)

Worst waste of money!

from Bowie, MD

About Me Casual Do-It-Yourselfer

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

Total waste of money!!! Purchased last year and weeds reappeared after a few weeks. I thought the kids did not apply correctly. This year I supervised - same result. Weeds I have never had have surfaced with a vengeance. It will take days to pull them and the purchase of another brand of weed killer to get rid of them. I would have been better off using nothing and wishing for weed-free flower beds.

• Primary use:
  • Personal

Might as well be Fairy Dust. Preen DOES NOT work

from East Berlin, Pennsylvania

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Lightweight

Cons

• Not Effective

• Home Gardening

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

All I can say is be prepared to replace your mulch. After applying the recommended amount of Preen Weed and Grass Preventer to soil that had all weeds removed. It was watered and mulch was placed on top. Found many weeds growing all season. I spot treated to test one area and left another spot far from test spot untreated the results were the same. Had an even number of weeds in both areas. I did a spot without the mulch as well. Same outcome. I also have some weeds that I've never had before. The good news for the weeds; they are thriving and healthy again this year! I also noticed that they are growing faster and healthier than last years weed crop. If you are trying to raise healthy happy weeds and lose most of your mulch in the process buy this product. Otherwise I would advise you to use Fairy Dust or just pull the weeds by hand.

• Primary use:
  • Personal

Horrible smell attracts flies

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

I wanted an organic weed preventer for my brick walkway because pulling weeds between all those bricks is a back and hand-killer. Last year I discovered organic Preen and used it to great effect except that for weeks there was a terrible smell and an influx of flies. I thought it must be that an animal died under the deck and was rotting. This year, I again used Preen and when the smell and fly hordes hovered over the Preen, I scooped up a trowel of Preen and smelled. UGH! Horrible! And there seems no way to eliminate the smell without scraping all the Preen off and dumping it in the woods. What a waste of money!

Dangerous

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

DANGEROUS-----to fish, humans and pets. You really want this used in or near your home. We can wear protective gear but can the soil ??? My friend used in yard and found dead rabbit three days after?? I will not buy Preen of any type. There are several so better read (if you buy it) inside and out, look at precautions-wow!! What about runoff, etc.

Use Preen very carefully; read my note for explanation.

from Dayton, OH

Preen is supreme!!!!!!!!!!!

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

I have use Preen for years and it is the ONLY weed killer for me. It is easy to use and it totally cleans those nasty weeds! It is great to use in between the sidewalk an along those places in your driveway. Just pulling the weeds does not work ---- with this product you can be assured that the nasty crab weeds will not return as soon as not using Preen. It acually soaks into the soil and prevent the weeds from coming back so soon. I have had the best luck with this product and I have tried so many of them and Preen has given me the best results.

Preen does not work as advertised!

from Warren, OH

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

I purchased the largest size of Preen weed preventer and plant food. The

advertisement sounded great but unfortunately it does not work! I weeded

all of my flower beds meticulously as the directions on the container stated that

it did not kill existing weeds. I then treated the beds with Preen and watered it

down as directed. I then mulched my flower beds and 1 week later already have weeds

popping up! It is a totally worthless product and i won't waste my money again.

Preen - gets the weeds

from Monroe Township, NJ

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

Preen is the best product on the market for stopping weeds. It does not stop everything but there is a good reduction in what I used to see. It definately reduces the hours spent on hands and knees pulling each and every nasty little weed. It is also safer and better than weed killers that you have to spray on and then get to see a dead weed in your flower bed. The container is light enough to carry around and the spout gives a nice easy distribution pattern that seems to spread the right amount of product around and in between your bushes and plants. Yes it is expensive but it is worth that extra money to reduce the amount of labor involved and the wear and tear on your back or your knees. Well worth it.

Recommend it to everybody!

from Hebron, IN

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

I am not only a gardener but I am a landscape designer. I use this product twice a year in my own garden and twice a year in my parents garden. When I draw and estimate landscape jobs I always recommend this product to anyone using mulch, it is the only way to go in my book. I work at a place that sells this product as well as other products that do the same thing but I will never sway from Preen. It is what I know works and the price is great too. One shaker container can last you a while. It has yet to fail me in my own gardening ventures so I will continue to use and recommend this product to as many people as I can. I think it is totally worth it and I think anyone else who has tried this product will agree with me.

Preen saves so much time and work!

from Greenville, OH

Comments about Preen Garden Weed Preventer:

I first tried Preen in my garden about 3 years ago. I have a very large vegetable garden and do a lot of canning. With 4 children, ages 6 and under, a garden that size is very difficult to maintain. I was looking for something to help, and boy did I find it! Preen really does what it is advertised as doing! It helped with thistle, chickweed, and a whole host of other common weeds. I finally had the garden I've always wanted-very clean, literally NO weeds anywhere! It is very expensive, in my opinion, which is why I hesitated to try it. The following year I tried another (cheaper) brand that claimed to be the same thing as Preen but it did NOTHING at all. I am working on my seed catalog orders right now and Preen is definitely on my list! My daughters, ages 4 & 6, are getting big enough to help in the garden now, but it is still too much for us to keep up without some help. Thanks, Preen, for a great product!