Other Elliptical Machines:

Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer

Pros

Cons

Precor EFX 5.17i is a great way to workout at home

A few years ago I decided to get fit and join the local YMCA.  I was a memeber there for about 3 years and realized I was only interested in using the Precor Ellipticals and not any of the classes.  It was expensive to pay a monthly fee so I dropped the membership.  I looked into purchasing an elliptical, but they were either too expensive or too flimsy.  I was so excited to be at a garage sale and find a Precor EFX 5.17i on sale for a reasonable price.  It has been a week now and I love the Precor EFX 5.17i.  It has the feel of the gym machine without the gymn.  It has the calorie count, stride count, time and stride per minute count just like the really expensive gymn equipment.  It also has the ability to raise and lower the ramp or pick a program designed for specific goals.  I must say I am really loving the Precor Elliptical 5.17i, it has rump started my exercise routine.  I wake up, feed the kids, do the Precor Elliptical and go on with my day.  No more driving to the gym, parking a mile away, waiting for a machine and then exercising or dreading the whole routine and staying home.  I would tell anyone that wants an elliptical to get the Precor Elliptical 5.17i, I know love mine and they will love it as well.

Does the job, but no bells and whistles

The Precor EFX 517i is the machine used at a lot of community gym centers for good reason.  It does the job ok, and you'll get a decent workout (i.e. sweat, burn calories), but it's pretty limited in what it can do.  There are no arms to work out your upper body, and the programs on the machine, while giving you variety and cross-training, do not really push you.  I find that on more advanced, expensive machines, even at the same intensity level and incline, I feel as though I've never worked out before.  All of the sudden, all of the conditioning I built up on a machine like this, is gone and I feel completely exhausted.  This shows me that I'm getting an infinitely better workout on the more expensive elliptical machines.

However, at the end of the day, this machine works for what I need: work up a sweat, burn calories, keep my waistline fit, get my heart moving.  Anything more sophisticated in the way of building muscles, cross-training, fancy features, etc. - you're better off with a better machine.

Makes my workout enjoyable!

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

I currently use this machine in the gym that my work provides for us. I have fallen in love with this machine and will pick it over any of the other ellipticals or treadmills that are available. It is an easy yet sturdy machine to use and I get a great workout. I leave feeling like I have accomplished something good and it helps brighten my day.

It is a very sturdy machine to use. I use it between 30 minutes to an hour a day and get an excellent work out from it. I love being able to look at the different areas of info I am achieving while using the machine. Such as calories burned, strides per minute, strides currently taken, mileage, length of each section, etc. It has spurred me to do better and better each time I use the machine.

Comfort
The comfort level on this is great. You can hold on to the rails for stability and it allows you to do that at different positions.

This machine is so easy to use. The choices of courses is great and it walks you through each area of information you need to input.

The machine is a sturdy one. The one I use is currently used by state employees from 17 different floors. It has held up well and is in excellent condition.

• Comfort:

Perfect for home gyms and personal use

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

This elliptical is lightweight, does not make a lot of noise and more compact that most ellipticals I have seen. This makes it perfect for anyone with little space, or for home gyms.The foot pedals are articulating which means your feet stay flat and makes the workout much more comfortable for your feet.This elliptical is a rear drive which I love! The rear drive means that the machine will last longer due to less bolts and mechanics. The rear drive also ensures the pedaling motion is smooth and also allows you to back pedal, which is great for working out your butt region. This is a well designed machine and I highly recommend it

I wish the arms moved

Does the job, but no bells and whistles

from Philadelphia, PA

I can "run" again!

from Portland, OR

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

I used to run regularly until I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which made running too hard on my knees. I really missed the feeling of running through trees, etc., but I couldn't ever run enough to get into good enough conditioning to make running fun.

Then we got this elliptical trainer. SO EXPENSIVE, BUT TOTALLY WORTH IT! We were able to use our "flexible health care" tax free account to buy it after having a doc write that it was essential to my health to have a cardio workout that didn't affect my joints. I started using it every day after that, LOVE being able to get a good workout for my heart without hurting my joints. And there is NO pain; none. It's fun, too, and the incline makes it vary the muscles used, and adds interest. Plus, my body is in shape enough to go running for real periodically and have it stil be fun instead of an experience of gasping for breath.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Favourite workout machine thus far.

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

In my gym there are numerous ellipticals and there is always a line to use this one. The elliptical trainer has become one of my favourite machines thanks to this amazing product. LOVE IT. I'm definitely contemplating buying one for home use.

It feels as if your gliding whilst using this.

Comfort
It moves as smoothly, and makes you feel as if your skating in butter.

It has these little touch buttons which I happily mess around with.

It can withstand the 40 or so people who use it everyday at my gym.

Takes up less space than the regular elliptical.

i use this everyday!

from Coldwater, MI

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

Precor is the brand to buy. It is worth every penny. Gym quality without leaving the house.

i use mine for an hour at day at the minimum. I have never had an issue with this machine.

would love a smaller footprint but I was willing to give that up foe the quality.

• Comfort:

love love love love love this machine--like an old friend

from Portland, OR

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

This is SUCH a great machine! We've had it for about 4 years, and it goes through periods of very heavy use by two very heavy people (me and my husband!), and then periods were it collects dust. Every time I restart it after a period of non-use, I swipe off the dust and cross my fingers, hoping nothing goes wrong. And nothing ever goes wrong! It's been perfect, a great, interesting workout, and very convenient. Actually, I believe with have the 5.17i, not the 5.17, and I think I've already done another review on it. I love it that much! :-)

Great workout machine

from Mahwah, NJ

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

My husband bought this machine for himself and now I use it every day.  It gives you an excellent workout without the soreness you can often get from exercise equipment.  You can set height and resistance levels that work for you and you can also monitor your heart rate to make sure you are getting maximum benefit from your workout.  And your heart rate will get up there on this machine.  I have also started using it in reverse by pedaling backwards and like the feeling I get in those muscles.   I am able to read on it - the display has a place to hold a book or magazine.  The machine is expensive but well worth it because you will use it.  We had looked at less expensive units by other manufacturers but they did not feel as stable or solid.  It is also easy to clean and wipe down and the display is big-lettered and very easy to read.  It is also very quiet.  All in all I would recommend this for home use by exercisers at all different levels.

Worth it

from Granby, MA

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

We added this piece of equipment to our home gum recently and I am very pleased with it.  It is not the type of quality you are going to get a commercial gym, but it is very suitable for a home gym.  It has the appropriate settings to get a good workout including incline, resistance, time settings and the ability to check your progress as you go along.  It glides fairly smoothly and is easy to get started on.  I think it would be a little intimidating to someone who hasn't done the eliptical before because it does engage you pretty quickly from a cardiovascular standpoint, but the good thing is that you can start off slow and work your way up to a solid 30 minutes.  I would recommend this to anyone looking to build heart health and looking to tone up their lower body.  Often can find these used in the classifieds, and they are a bit pricey.  Best to start off used if you are unsure if you will keep doing it.

great workout

from Bossier City, LA

Comments about Precor EFX 5.17 Elliptical Trainer:

When I tried this elliptical, I fell in love it!  I am not a fan of the treadmill and I can burn a ton of calories on this machine and the bottom of my feet do not hurt when I am done.  You can either hang onto the bars or you can just keep your arms by your side but either way it is fine.  I can workout on this elliptical for a while and still feel great.  When I am done, I feel awesome, especially when I see how many calories I burned.  My boyfriend used to do cycling and a few other things at the gym and when I told him to try the elliptical, he thought I was crazy.  But after a month I convinced him and he absolutely loved it.  He could not believe how many calories he burned.  He ended up losing all of the weight he wanted in a short amount of time and is now at the weight he wants to stay at.  So if you are wanting to lose weight or if you just want to stay in shape then you should try this because you will not want to workout on anything else.  I only wish I had my own and didn't have to go to the gym =/.