View more diaper pails

Playtex Diaper Genie Pail

2.9

Pros

Cons

Really eliminates the unnecessary smells!

Of all the things that I dreaded after finding out I was pregnant with my 3rd child, the most lingering dread was the diapers.  Not so much the changing as the disposal of...Read complete review

Of all the things that I dreaded after finding out I was pregnant with my 3rd child, the most lingering dread was the diapers.  Not so much the changing as the disposal of said nasties.

It's concievable to expect someone to actually run every poopy diaper outside to the trash pail, but the smell of urine soaked, poop filled bundles of cloth is not one with which I desire.  So this time around, I got smart and registered a diaper genie as a gift for my shower, and the lady who bought it for me, I actually gave her 10 bucks as a thank you.

A friend of mine had purchased one for her first child this past fall, and I was shockd to see that her house was void of soiled diapers and the absence of the smell was not lost on me. I couldnt believe this little two foot magic plastic diaper container could actually contain the radioactive material that her son was putting in his huggies!

So as soon as I heard that we were expecting another bundle, I dropped hints to everyone I knew about my desire to have a diaper genie.  Now, I'm not dreading the task at hand and can concentrate on loving my newest little addition to my family!

Goodbye Diaper Genie--expensive bags and intimidates babysitter!

We bought a **diaper genie** at a yard sale before we had our first child. It was the older version with the smaller opening at the top with replacement bags with the pink stripe. Later, we acquired one of the newer ones with a larger opening with replacement bags with the blue stripe. They also makes one with an even larger opening with replacement bags with a green stripe, but we have never used that one. The **Diaper Genie** is a large plastic trashlike container with a hinged lid. A circular insert in the top contains a tubular plastic bag.

How it works:

- To set up, place a replacement set of bags into the top of the Diaper Genie by removing the entire top and pull up the top edge of the plastic bag.
- Place the top of the Diaper Genie back on and pull the top edge of the plastic bag above the top edge of the Genie.
- Place the plastic ring on the inside of the plastic bag and seat it into the Genie.
- Bring the top edge of the plastic bag together and tie in a knot
- Push the knot through the opening and twist the ring.
- Place used diapers into the Diaper Genie until they are well past the twisting part.
- Twist the top ring to close the bag
- Shut the outer lid.
- Once full, use the specially designed cutter to cut the bag and tie and remove the old bag from below--each diaper is in its own separate section of the bag with a twist above and below.
- Repeat steps above to replace the bags.

It sounded like a great idea, but we ended up giving ours away. The pros simply did not outweight the cons for us.

**Pros:**

- Keeps diapers contained--keeps baby from playing with dirty diapers
- Helps some with odor control (but doesn't eliminate odors entirely)
- Newer ones with larger opening easier to place diapers in
- Newer ones have a place to store the cutter in the lid
- Holds quite a few diapers

**Cons:**

- **EXPENSIVE** to replace bags (This was an unnecessary cost that we decided we could do without and was the main reason we gave ours away.)
- When only a few diapers in the Genie, it tended to try to come untwisted and would smell.
- Placing a LOADED, stinky diaper in one might cause the contents to squeeze out when placing in the Diaper Genie--YUCK-O!
- No warning when bags became low (Push the diaper down and poof! Suddenly, the Diaper Genie needed a replacement bag.
- Replacing the bags was a job that intimidated many (I usually kept the instructions in a drawer right by the Diaper Genie because we did not need to replace the bags often, but I tended to be the only one in the house that would readily replace them.)
- It was difficult to tell when the Diaper Genie was full until you try to push a diaper into it and discover that the Genie is too full. This usually happens when you have a LOADED, stinky one halfway through the opening.
- The older ones had a smaller opening and no place to store the cutter, so that was a good improvement in the design. However, the plastic pieces in the lid to enable us to store the cutter broke easily, so we still ended up having to store the cutter in a separate place.

**My Viewpoint:**

A **Diaper Genie** does have some good points, like keeping dirty diapers stored and partially controlling odors, but the expensive was not worth it for us. Placing dirty diapers in the trash can works just fine for us for much less money.

Great product

from Lexington ky

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Absorbent
  • Comforting
  • Contains Smell
  • Convenient
  • Easily Cleaned
  • Good Diaper Capacity
  • No Leaks
  • Portable

Cons

• Diaper Changing
    • Everyday
    • Nursery
    • Overnight

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

I got to review this product for free, and I must say this is a great product I recommend all new mommies to go try it you will not be disappointed!!

Just hides the smell

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

The diaper genie was a pretty great idea. However it didn't work as well as I thought. Before I had my first child I wanted all of the good stuff when the baby came. So I bought a diaper genie. It said that each diaper i put in would get individually twisted close in the bag they I've in there . But I would twist and twist and it would keep it closed . So basically what I got was a garbage can with a bag in it that was scented. It was no different then a garbage can.

• Odor Control:
    • Capacity:

so nice

from Hershey, PA

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

I will say that this is a must have for any new parent who does not have time to take out the trash two or more times per day! Excellent at keeping the smells "locked away" and its not that difficult to empty or to put the liners back in it! I love this product.

It gets smelly!

from Peabody, MA

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

No one likes the smell of dirty diapers.  But this creates a smell just as bad, but stale, even when it is empty and sprayed with lysol!  My best advice?  Use plastic grocery bags with the air squeezed out, twisted and tied above the diaper making a tight little bundle.  I could never smell those right in my regular trash barrell.

keeps out smell but not user friendly

from Lovington, NM

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

The diaper genie is does a pretty good job of keeping out the smell.  But when you go to change the bags you find that you have used a lot of bags for few diapers so it's not cost efficient.  I could live with that because it does keep out the smell, but when it's time to change the refill pack that is when it is frustrating and not user friendly at all.  I ended up just putting the diapers in a plastic grocerey sack and tying.  Worked fairly well and much more user friendly.

A "Genie" should make the dirty diapers disappear.

from Bowling Green, KY

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

A "Genie" should make the dirty diapers disappear, not just hold them until you are ready to throw them away.  The **Playtex Diaper Genie Pail** was not around when my children were little, but my grandchild had one in her room.  I had heard that it was a more sanitary way of disposing of dirty diapers, but my opinion is that it just holds the stinky diapers untill someone takes them out to the trash.  Keeping a bunch of dirty diapers in the same room as your newborn or young baby does not say "sanitary" to me, even if they are contained. I tried to use it once or twice and when I shoved the diaper down inside I thought my hand was going to get caught in the mouth of the Diaper Genie, and I was worried that I might "squish" the contents of the diaper beneath out. YUCK!!!  As far as controlling the smell, I could still smell dirty diapers when the top was open, just like any other trash can. When I babysat my grandchild at my home, I just recycled plastic grocery bags by placing the dirty diaper inside, tying a knot in it and taking it out to the trash can.  No lingering smell, more cost efficient, and more sanitary!!!

Wasted my money on the Diaper Genie

from Farmersville, TX

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

As a first time mom this was one of the first things that I put on my baby registry.  It sounded like a great idea.  I even registered for the refills.  All the diapers would be in one place and they would not stink up the house.  In theory it is great until you have to empty it.  The smell is terrible!  Then you can't get the smell out of the container.  I had to empty it outside into a trash bag that went directly into the outside trash can.  We made the mistake of forgetting to empty it before we went on a trip for a long weekend.  It was full before we left and was a complete mess when we got back.  I went to empty it and almost threw up.  I don't know if there was a rip in the bag or what but there was liquid in the container.  I was so bad that I just threw the whole thing away.  I had much better luck with just throwing them away in a plastic grocery bag with the top tied in a knot.  Don't waste your money on this.

Not worth any amount of money!

from Princeton, IN

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

When I was pregnant with my first child, I thought the diaper genie would be a must-have.  Like a new mom is a lot...I was wrong!  The diaper genie is expensive, difficult to use and does not help with the smell of a dirty diaper!  Even after reading the directions and learning how to use it, I found it difficult on a daily basis.  The cutter wouldn't work, or a bag would break while twisting it, I'd turn it over while trying to open it while holding my baby, or I'd simply get frustrated when trying to refill it.  If the diaper genie truly masked the smell of a dirty diaper, the extra work may be worth it, but it smells just as bad, if not worse!  The combination of baby poo and strange baby powder makes a room doubly toxic. The only pro I can think of is that it keeps a baby out of the mess, but as far as I am concerned, so does putting a trash can up on top of the washer.  After four children, I have learned that putting a dirty diaper in a plastic bag and taking out the trash daily is less work, less money and a lot less frustration!

I would keep looking.

from Alexandria, OH

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

I really wanted a good way to seal in the odor from diapers, so I finally broke down and purchased a Diaper Genie.  It was really awkward.  Most of the time it did a good job at sealing odors, but when it became full, you would know it!  The twisting action didn't always work.  I followed the instructions exactly, but sometimes it just wouldn't twist the bag around the diaper tight to seal in the odor!  Also, re-filling it was cumbersome.  It wasn't as easy as just cutting off the ends and re-tying it - somehow I had to play with it to get the first few diapers to be sealed in the twisted bag.  (Of course, I was also sleep deprived at the time - perhaps something simpler is best for new moms!)  I ended up getting rid of this and simply taking the diapers to the outside trash can - I'd wrap them in my own plastic grocery bag.  Once outside, I never had to deal with them again.  I would try the Diaper Dekor if you really want a nursery trash can.  Good luck.

No stink with the Diaper Genie.

from Janesville, WI

Comments about Playtex Diaper Genie Pail:

When our first child was born we used to throw his dirty diapers in the trash can next to his changing table. However, the smell was so disgusting and it would fill the entire room, that we would have to empty it at least once a day. Then we decided to try the Diaper Genie based on the recommendation from a friend. It worked so much better! The new version is very easy to use. To refill it, you simply drop the refill in, tie a knot in the bag, and you're ready to use it. Disposing of a diaper couldn't be easier...you just push in a diaper until it is between the clamps, close the lid, and turn the wheel a couple of times. Once we've done this you can take the bag to the curb. I like how it 'sausages' the diapers into individual portions of the bag. It keeps in odors as well as anything. Let's face it...poop stinks. Any diaper disposal should be emptied at least two to three times a week, or it will become unbearable. We now have three boys and continue to use the same Diaper Genie.