2.3
Playboy Magazine

Playboy Magazine

2.3

Pros

Cons

• Lacks content (9)
  • Poor photo quality (9)
  • Poorly written articles (5)

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Everyday reader (11)

I read the articles as well, no really I do...

***Bottom-Line:*** **Playboy Magazine** holds a time honored position that is as much a part of the American lexicon as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and...Read complete review

***Bottom-Line:*** **Playboy Magazine** holds a time honored position that is as much a part of the American lexicon as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.

When I was a teenager growing up on the relatively tame but bigoted streets of Newport, Rhode Island, I had a paper route.  On this route there was one particular stop I liked to make the first Friday of every month, for that is when the new **Playboy Magazines** hit the stands.  That was back in the days before false moralizing forced most vendors to wrap their Playboys in plastic and secret them away behind he counter like some radioactive bomb designed to corrupt the ethics of young boys.  I am embarrassed to admit that when the clerk was being less then attentive I would lift a copy, put it in my bag and beat a hasty retreat home.  Once there I would marvel over the latest issue, and then toss it before anyone (my mother) could happen upon it.

Once an adult I started subscribing to **Playboy Magazine **and over the years I have gotten the publication off and on.  This mostly depended on where I was at the time and what state my romantic life was in.  I do not currently subscribe, but the magazine has not changed in all of the years I have been reading it; that is one of the good things about **Playboy Magazine, **the consistency, the familiarity, and it also one of the less attractive features.  As other magazines in this genre continue to push the titillation envelope **Playboy Magazine **has remained conservative, insisting on maintaining the artist bent of the female body, as opposed to the obscene or exploitative.

**The Cover**

The cover of **Playboy Magazine** is a collector's item onto itself.  Always colorful, except for the 25th Anniversary issue that was all black, the cover is a feast for the eyes.  And on every cover hidden somewhere on the featured playmate or celebrity is a bunny head begging to be found.  Some heads are obvious, others are far harder to find, but it is fun trying to find the little bunny.

**The Layout**

The basic layout of the magazine has not changed in all of the years I have been reading it.  There are not (thankfully) a lot of advertisements and those that are present are in proportion to the content of the magazine.  And believe it or not, there are not a lot of nude layouts in **Playboy Magazine; **most of the content is devoted to articles, interviews and other interesting tidbits of information (more on that later), including those about sex.

Yes, **Playboy** has a Forum, but is nothing like the famous *Penthouse Forum* with its racy tales of sex in exotic places and faces.  No, this *Forum* is the thinking man's gathering place, for it is here they you'll find discussions the pressing issues of the day; if you like to discuss politics, and controversial social issues, then you'll enjoy the articles and editorials in this section.  Articles and editorials exploring vital social, economic, governmental, and constitutional issues are the norm here.  If you want to be challenged, intellectually, read this section.

**Playboy Interviews**

That writing in **Playboy Magazine** takes the form of the best interviews with celebrities to be read anywhere, including those publication specifically designed for the purpose.  **Playboy** interviews ask the hard questions that most know personalities do mind answering.  People come into **Playboy** interviews knowing that the fluff will be left on the floor; they are here to answer serious questions about topic not liable to be brought up elsewhere.  This dynamic and frank exchange makes for very interesting and engaging interviews.

Miles Davis, Martin Luther King Jr., Fidel Castro, former President Jimmy Cater, Ansel Adams, Stephen King, George Clooney, Bernie Mac, Earl Weaver, Ben Affleck, Mike Wallace, Johnny Depp have all been interviewed within the pages of Playboy Magazine.  And Nicole Kidman recently joined their august ranks.

**The Articles**

Believe or not I do enjoy the articles in** Playboy Magazine; **they are always well written and cover a plethora of subject matters.  Designed mostly for men, the magazine's articles almost always features an article on sports, personal electronics & gadgets, automobiles, home theater, politics, grooming, clothing, and other subject matter of special interest to men.

**The Pictures**

The nude layouts in **Playboy Magazine **have not changed much over the intervening years; they are tasteful shots of beautiful women is near-provocative poses.  Yes breasts are prominently featured but that is about it; this is not *Penthouse* and definitely not *Hustler*.

There are generally three to four featured nude layouts in addition to the *Playmate of the Month* who receives her own centerfold.  There is a fair amount of airbrushing of the models (Playmates and others) which I have always found troublesome.  It's almost to the point now where the women look more like paintings the real human beings.  If I am going to look at nudity, I would prefer it be real and not manufactured courtesy of *Adobe Illustrator*.  And one last complaint: the layouts are all too short.  The cover promises big, but the magazine delivers small.  They have always been too short, and I almost feel cheated after reading an issue.

And I of course have heard that Playboy Magazine demeans and objectifies woman, I disagree with this promise as well.  There is nothing obscene or demeaning about the human body, we were all born naked after all.  No one makes these women pose for **Playboy Magazine; **they do so voluntarily and in large numbers.  And there is nothing wrong with celebrating and admiring the female form.  The Europeans have a much healthier attitude about the human body then we Americans; we could learn a lot from their mature treatment of the altogether.

**My Final Viewpoint **

On the one hand I have outgrown the need for **Playboy Magazine's **simple almost adolescent formula, but on the other hand I miss the articles and other excellent writing that so mark the magazine. However, there is a place for **Playboy Magazine** in the pantheon of girlie magazines, a time honored position that is as much a part of the American lexicon as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.

The demise of Playboy...

I've been a subscriber for 25 years or so, and have always looked forward to getting PLAYBOY in the mail. The women, the interesting articles, fashion etc. have always kept me renewing my subscription. Then I receive this "new" PLAYBOY that boasts no nudity. To much chagrin it's not only the women featured that suffered, the articles, the layout, and overall feel of the magazine have deteriorated. If you ask me, a Playmate was a woman who exemplified beauty and would stop rush hour traffic. They aren't a girl who was everyday or plain Jane, they are women that you didn't see everyday at any point in time walking down a sidewalk. That was what made them special and made men look forward to seeing them in the magazine, I'm not about to detract the looks of the girls in the "new" PLAYBOY, however, they just aren't the same and not even close, clothes, or no clothes.

Truly Sorry

from Des Moines, IA

Pros

Cons

• Lacks Content

• Older Readers

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

I have read some of the comments regarding Playboy's new format. Sadly, I tend to agree with many of their observations. I, too, will probably not be renewing my subscription. I have been an on-going subscriber since 1977 and still have every copy I ever got. I also have been collecting the ones I didn't get by subscription through various means. Point being that it was a great magazine with well written articles, editorials, and advice columns. Yes the women were nude, but the photography was classic and, along with the bios on each, showed the beauty of the whole person inside and out. There were (and still are) much trashier magazines out there than Playboy ever thought of being. I would also point out to those who thought Playboy was exploiting women...if this was such an issue, then why, when Playboy announced they were heading to certain venues or campuses, would women line up for blocks, waiting to get a chance at appearing in the magazine? Because it was a way of them making a statement that they were bold as well as beautiful, and not ashamed of themselves or who they were.
    Some of the best pieces of the old Playboy (aside from the ladies) were the cartoons, jokes, "Raw Data", multiple questions for the adviser, Hugh's editorials, the Forum...all gone now. I gave the new format a chance...to see if it would still be as exciting and interesting as the old one. I am truly disappointed. I think most people who would buy it now will do so because of the name. It's one of the most recognizable names in the world. But in truth, it has no uniqueness any more. There are magazines (as noted in previous comments) such as G.Q and Maxim with the same type of construction. I fear a slow and painful death. Thanks for the memories. Rest in peace.

Seriously, is this magazine a horrible joke?

from Baltimore, MD

About Me Rarely Read

Pros

Cons

• Lackluster in every way.
      • Lacks Content
      • Poorly Written Articles
      • Poor Photo Quality

• Hanging on a nail in an outhouse.

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

I will admit that in recent years Playboy Magazine has been declining from what it once was but the "New" format is proof that there really is something worse than bad. The new magazine isn't really new it is a rip off of old Maxims without any of the redeeming qualities of that publication. I have no idea who the intended target audience is of the new format but it sure isn't anyone with the money for a subscription. Unless a miracle happens and Playboy rectifies its mistake I will cancel my subscription.

Had a subscription for almost 20 years. Done.

from Riverside, CA

Pros

Cons

• Lacks Content
        • Poorly Written Articles
        • Poor Photo Quality

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

When I was in junior high, my friend's dad got a subscription to Playboy and we snuck it out of his room to read it when his dad went out of the house. I've been reading it ever since, finally getting my own subscription when I moved out of my parents' house. Like most adolescents, I started out oogling the pictures, and then moved to appreciating the articles as I matured. Now, all of that is gone. The girls no longer have "the girl next door" quality that Hef built the magazine on (they look more like "the girl at my local coffee shop"), The Playboy Forum seems to have been axed, there don't seem to be anymore Letters to the Editor (what are they afraid of?), and The Playboy Advisor is down to one question. The magazine seems to have lost the desire to push the controversial envelope and conform to what other magazines are doing, such as Maxim and GQ, so what's the point of continuing with Playboy? Oh, and now I hear that Playboy Magazine is for sale? You changed it, drove it into the ground, and are trying to offload it to some other company? The spirit that made this magazine so special has been lost. If you ever find it again, I may be back as a customer, but as it sits now, it's so long, folks.

no ficking way

from easton,pa

Pros

Cons

• Lacks Content
            • Poorly Written Articles
            • Poor Photo Quality
            • poor taste in photo content
            • Too Many Ads

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

nothing at all change is good but this sucks!!

Girly Man magazine

from Orlando

Pros

Cons

• Lacks Content
                • no nudes
                • Out-Of-Date Content
                • Poor Photo Quality

• old ladies

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

Playboy magazine died on March 1,2016 Hefner wake up and bring back the nudes!!

Won't Renew

from Oklahoma

Pros

Cons

• Lacks Content
                  • Poorly Written Articles
                  • Poor Photo Quality

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

Layout terrible, lacks the simplicity of original, models just weren't the same. Very disappointed. Won't be renewing.

"New" Playboy is very disappointing

from metairie, La

Pros

Cons

• Lacks Content
                      • No more jokes page
                      • No more playmate and bunny news
                      • Playboy Advisor down to one article
                      • Poor Photo Quality

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

I gave Playboy 2 chances to prove me wrong. We I am very disappointed that I have 4 more years to go. Mr. Hefner open your eyes this is not the fantastic magazine you created. You have some very bad marketing advisors. Please bring back the beautiful women and the great features like sex in Cinema, girls of the big 10, SEC etc.

Now my 16 year old nephew can read it!

from St Petersburg, FL

About Me Everyday Reader

Pros

• Engaging Articles

Cons

• No nudity
                        • Poor Photo Quality
                        • Too Many Ads

• Younger Readers

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

My husband and I were regular readers but after reading the last two new issues we will be canceling our subscription. It's no longer fun to read. Too many adds and some of the ads have sexier woman then in the magazine. My husband misses the letters from readers at the beginning and the tasteful nudity that was what made Playboy Stand out. I miss the jokes, cartoons and nudity. This new magazine I would allow my sixteen year old nephew to read. If you are trying to get more teenage readers keep doing what your doing! Otherwise got back to the classic way that made people excited when Hugh Heffner was in charge. I can't imagine that he approved of these changes. He must be really sick to allow his magazine to go down like this.

End of an era and 25 year subscription.

from Alberta, canad

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

Not like me but I just had to find somewhere to voice my disappointment. I've been a fan and subscriber for 25 years but unfortunately that came to an end today. I received my first copy of the "new" playboy magazine. Don't get me wrong it's a fine magazine but if I was to choose I'd grab a GQ off the shelf. Playboy appealed to the guy like me. Great articles, but the centrefold made me look forward to going to the mail every month. Women were beautiful, sexy, TASTEFUL and NUDE. Of course there's the internet but it's not the same. Sure it's always a click away but it's always linked to some extreme hard core site which honestly I don't want to see. My girlfriends and even my ex-wife didn't mind playboy around and I often caught them leafing through it. It's the end of something rare that I enjoyed. Sad day for me.

Missing more than nudes.

from Houston,

Pros

Cons

• Lacks Content

Comments about Playboy Magazine:

My first subscription to Playboy was 1970. While I have not subscribed continuously, I do have a large collection. Playboy says you can get nudes any where on the internet. True, but Playboy nudes were art. The composition, background, all those things that make a great picture, were almost always there. But another love was the jokes and cartoons. These are all missing. Sure, I bet they are on their website, but being in the magazine was special. It broke up the serious articles and provided a light moment. I'm sure some will enjoy the new format, but I'm glad my subscription runs out in another month. Goodbye, Playboy, it was great, but you have lost me as a reader.