Other Arthritis Medicines:
Plaquenil Hydroxychloroquine

Plaquenil Hydroxychloroquine

Relief from joint pain!

Comments about Plaquenil Hydroxychloroquine:

I started taking Plaquenil over a year ago for joint pain. When I first started taking it I was very disappointed. I had experienced no relief, however after a few weeks it really started to work and I finally got relief from my joint pain! My doctor told me that it was completely normal for Plaquenil to take awhile before fully working. I am very grateful that my doctor prescribed this for me, because before it my joints were extremely painful! I have not experienced any side effects while on Plaquenil. Plaquenil is also very affordable.

I use it for Rheumatoid Arthritis.

from Jacksonville, NC

Comments about Plaquenil Hydroxychloroquine:

I have been on this twice before, but I'm currently not on it because I am pregnant.  I wasn't planning this pregnancy, so I was still on it when I got pregnant.  Although I stopped it right away, it remains in your system for a few months, and the side effects on pregnancy are not completely known, so of course, that is a concern.  If you are planning on getting pregnant, you should not be on this.

This downfall to this medicine is that it takes several months to start working, so you must be patient.  And of course, with RA, it's hard to know if it's the medicine working or if you are in remission.

The good thing... this medicine works for a long time for many RA patients.  It has far less side effects and risks than more serious medications like methotrexate, so I'm hoping to be able to get by on this for many years.

The most concering possible side effect is that it can seriously mess with your vision.  However, this is very rare and as long as you are getting really eye exams (every 6-12 months), you should be fine.  Make sure you are getting your eye exams though!!

Not the best arthritis drug but cheap, no side-effedts

from Lynchburg, VA

Comments about Plaquenil Hydroxychloroquine:

I have been on Plaquenil for approximately 9-10 years, since being diagnosed with RA/MCTD.  I was first on prednisone and Plaquenil alone and later had methotrexate and Remicade added to the regimen, which was when my RA/MCTD was in the BEST condition.  Unfortunately, after many, many serious infections, one of which nearly claimed my life, we had to stop the immune suppressants and the only thing my doctor has since added back to the prednisone is the Plaquenil.  I can no longer be on the stronger immune suppressants like methotrexate or Remicade, which is sad but understanding.

I thought for a while that the Plaquenil wasn't really doing anything, so I stopped it and soon found out that it did help my disease - sure, it wasn't an immediate help nor was it EXTREMELY helpful, but the help was enough to justify spending a minimal amount on the medication.  So, all-in-all, a decdent drug but not one that you can expect to help you move mountains!