Other Baking Goods:
Pillsbury Pie Crusts

Pillsbury Pie Crusts

Pros

Cons

Pillsbury Pie Crusts taste great and are SO easy to use!

I had a serious craving for a homemade pot pie the other day, so the non-baker-that-loves-to-cook that I am went to the store and bought **Pillsbury Pie Crusts**.  They were extremely inexpensive and time-saving since I don't even own a pastry cutter or rolling pin.

A package of **Pillsbury Pie Crusts **includes two pie crusts for a 9-inch pie.  Each pie crust is rolled up so all you have to do is unroll them and they are ready to go.  The package states that they are freezable for up to two months, which is great if you don't need to use both of the rolls in the package.

For my pot pies, I rolled out the crusts on a cutting board and used the bowls for the pot pie as a "cookie cutter" so that it fit my bowl perfectly.  I poured my pot pie mixture into a bowl and placed my pie crust on top.  Baked it in the oven for a while and out came a gorgeous pot pie with a golden, flaky crust on top.  The crust is buttery and flaky and delicious.  Not that I bake, but if I did, I would NEVER roll my own dough if these wonderful pie crusts are available in the stores.

**Pillsbury Pie Crusts **are worth every penny - not that they're expensive, because they're not.  I will ALWAYS use these when I am in need of pie crusts!

Time saver

These crusts definitely save time if you are in a hurry. They taste fine, but if I want a quality crust (in taste) I prefer to make my own (FYI Julia Child has the best pie crust recipe ever!). The other upside is that Pillsbury offers a lot of good coupons on the product especially around the holidays.  I haven't done the math, but especially if you figure in what your time is worth, it probably is cheaper to buy them with a coupon than to make them. I find them especially helpful for a holiday like Thanksgiving where I am having to make multiple pies, desserts and other dishes.  They can be used for savory dishes like quiches in a pinch, but they may be a little sweet if you don't like any sweetness in your savory crusts. I have found that they roll out better if you let them sit out a few minutes and tehn roll out on a piece of floured waxed paper just like you would a regular crust. This smooths out any roughness and allows you a little extra crust to make your pie look a little fancier.

Easy to Use

from TN

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

I love Pillsbury pie crusts, they are super easy to use and taste so good. I buy these when I make my chicken potpies and it cuts my cooking time in half. You only thing you have to do with this dough is roll in out, stick it on your pie pan and bake it for about fifteen minutes or until golden brown.

A good step saver when making pies

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

I have been making my own pies,, such as key lime, cheesecakes, and chicken pies, and this crust goes well with them all whether the pie is savory or sweet. They cost more than do store brands, but I have noticed that they are worth it because they taste better. The store brands taste bitter. These taste just right. They simply roll out and into the pie pan to be filled and the second crust makes the top shell. It couldn´t be easier. I think they taste as good as if I made them myself and they´re rolled out evenly, something I haven´t quite done as well yet. This product is a step saver and is worth it.

my best recipe friend

from Ridge Spring, SC

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

I have never been able to make a good pie crust. As hard as I have tried over the years my pie crust would never roll out even, it would be tough or too flaky, and the edges, well let's just say that they looked very amateur! Then I discovered Pillsbury Frozen Pie Crusts. These are absolutely delicious, they are flaky and they are very affordable. I have now been able to make the yummy pies that I have always dreamed of making, thanks to Pillsbury Frozen Pie Crusts. I have found so many uses for them including double crust pies where I just turn one crust upside down for the top crust. This makes an incredible deep dish apple pie with tons of filling and a hearty crust to match. The best recipe though is for Chicken Pot Pie. I have found that I can make my homemade Chicken Pot Pie using Pillsbury Frozen Pie Crusts in any pan I choose. I can make them in a traditional pie pan, or I can slightly thaw the crusts and form them in to a 9x13 by overlapping 2 crusts.
In other words, these pie crusts are my best friend in the kitchen. I am able to create dishes that never would have happened before.

Better than frozen crusts

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

The frozen pie crusts are easier, but this one definitely tastes better. In my experience, it doesn't beat homemade, but at least now there is an option between frozen and homemade. I still opt for frozen pretty regularly because it is easier to make a large number of pies because they come preformed and with their own pie dish.

Best pre-made pie crust ever!

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

I am a huge pie lover and I love to make fresh fillings! However, I have never attempted to make my own crust! I started buying Pillsbury pie crusts a few years ago and now I have no reason to even make my own crust! This pie dough is perfect for quiche, pies, or any pastries made with pie dough. It's even pre-cut in convenient circles so that you don't have to roll it or anything! This pie crust is a lifesaver and I highly suggest it if you don't want to go through the hassle of making a pie dough.

Easy to use but too thick

from Gaffney, SC

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

I usually make my own crust but tried this crust it was easy to use but noticed the crust very thick and not very flaky as I thought it would be.  I like using Pillsbury products when I need to take shortcuts but not this one again unless they make it thinner.

make old fashioned pies the quick and easy way

from Jonesboro, AR

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

Pillsbury pie crusts are great for those of us who have never been able to master the art of making pie crusts.  It has been years since I have attempted to make my own crust, but only days since I made a great tasting buttermilk pie.  With a product that is this tasty, easy and convenient to use I don't know why anyone would take the time or go to the trouble to make a crust from scratch, even if they were good at it.  It always turns out perect and taste home made.  I have been using Pillsbury pie crust for years and I like them even better rolled than the way the use to come folded.  With a quick filling you can have a delicious pie on the table in no time.

Great time saver when making lots of pies for the holidays!

from Dacula, GA

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

I have been using these pie crusts since I started making pies when I was in my early teens. I have never made pie crusts myself simply because these are so quick and in comparison are pretty close to homemade as far as flavor and texture. I buy the box at our local warehouse store that has 6-8 crusts and keep them in the freezer until I need them. The thickness is just right, not thick like those other crusts that come in the pan already. I use these for pumpkin pie and I love that after I put them in the pan and trim the edges, I can pinch or press the edges to make little designs. No one ever knows they aren't homemade! I often roll out the edge trimmings and cut little shapes like leaves or hearts to decorate the pies. Or I use the excess to make a couple of tarts. I have never used this crust for a top crust so I can't comment on that use. I can say however that the only down side to these pie crusts is that if you store them in the freezer, you have to let them thaw before using them or they will crack. That said, I have put them in the microwave for a couple of seconds and they have thawed all right. I will continue to use these every year and I recommend them highly.

Pie Crusts are the best!

from West Jordan, UT

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

I love to make vegetable pot pie for my family. However making the pie crust for it is so time consuming and its hit or miss if it will turn out. So I tried these and my husbands first comment was "wow! what did you do different this tastes better than normal!" Gotta love an honest husband. I keep them in my freezer now and use them everytime. It's a great time saver too!

Pillsbury Pie Crusts love um!

from Syracuse, NY

Comments about Pillsbury Pie Crusts:

Everytime I try to make pie crusts from scratch they never turn out the way I want them, flaky, light and tasty. I tried Pillsbury Pie Crusts and I love them. They are so easy to use. Pull it out of the frig, let them set for a bit and just unroll and bake. These pie crusts are so easy to use and they taste great. Light and flaky with a nice buttery taste. I use them all the time now. I love making chicken pot pie. I use Pillsbury pie crst and they come out golden brown and very flaky. I save time using them but they are a little bit high in price. I always look for a coupon and can usually find them on the web. The coupon usually is for cents off a purchase of two packages but I put the other package in the freezer and have one on hand. If you are like me and can't make a pie crust to save your life this product is great.