2.2
Philosophy Hope in a Jar Daily High Performance Moisturizer SPF 20

Philosophy Hope in a Jar Daily High Performance Moisturizer SPF 20

2.2

Cons

Sticking with hope in a jar

from Chicago, IL

Cons

Comments about Philosophy Hope in a Jar Daily High Performance Moisturizer SPF 20:

If you read my other reviews, you will know I'm a philosophy fan. I've been using their products for years, and love buying during their gift with purchases so I can try some new products. Well this is one product from my gift with purchase that I won't be replenishing.

I use hope in a jar religiously. A while back I got a gift with purchase that had the hope in a jar with spf, and i was excited to try it (disclosure: i actually tried it a while back and am just writing this review-I didn't leave the product sitting for a long time and then try it as an old product). I can honestly say this is a time where philosophy missed the mark. The texture is not nearly as whipped and smooth as the classic hope in a jar moisturizer. It had a slight smell to it too. But worst of all, it felt heavy on my skin. The joy of hope in a jar is how it would soak in and be so light weight I didn't even know I was wearing it. This was not the case with the spf version-it was heavier and not nearly as comfortable on the skin. So suffice to say I'm sticking with the classic, and haven't tried the spf since.

• Ease of Application:

This is a strange moisturizer- greasy and separates in the jar.

from Ada, OK

I like regular Hope in a Jar moisturizer, so I was hoping for good things with this moisturizer.  I always feel guilty for not using sunscreen, so I bought this thinking it would be perfect.  Wrong!  I am just trying to use it up right now.  I have to stir it with my finger every morning to get it to come together enough for me to even use it.  It's like oil mixed with cheese curds.  I essentially put on one curd each morning- disgusting.  It feels a little greasy on my face too- especially in the summer, when I need it most.  This is just a weird moisturizer.  I've never had any creams do this, including those with sunscreen in them.

Like the original better

from Columbia City, IN

Cons

I have been using the original hope in a jar moisturizer for several years. I thought that I should try addding some sun protection in the summer so I wanted to try this version of Hope in a Jar. While I like the texture and the smell the same- it is light weight and has a light scent, it is definitely a little greasier than the original hope in a jar moistuizer. I suspect that comes from the sun protection factor that has been added. I could tecll a difference especailly when my skin began breaking out more, something it had not been doing with as much frequency using the original hope in a jar moistuizer. For now, I have decided that th mineral make up I use offers me a sun protection factor of 15, this moisturizer only gives me 5 more, so for the added breakouts, I do not feel that it is worth it. So I went back to using the original hope in a jar moistuizer. Some of you with a drier complexion or less acne prone skin may not have the same trouble I did. It is a good product, but just didn't work as well for me as the original hope in a jar moistuizer.

Hope in a Jar w/20 spf looked like cottage cheese!!!

from Jackson, MS

I hated this product which is really surprising since I love the “Hope in a Jar” without the spf. I discovered last year that my skin is really sensitive to the sun and tends to break out in fine bumps if I do not cover my face with a sunblock before I go out. I have tried various moisturizers over the years and I really liked the regular Philosophy “Hope in a Jar” so I thought that this version with 20 spf would be the perfect solution to my problem. I was wrong. When I opened the jar, it looked like cottage cheese and I realized that the sunblock had separated from the moisturizer. I took my finger and mixed the two and applied it to my face just like the any other moisturizer.  As the day progressed, the sunblock started to run into my eyes and it burned really bad. I’m not one to give something one shot and throw it away so I figured maybe I just got too close to my eyes. The next day the same thing happened even though I was careful not to get this stuff anywhere near my eyes. I also didn’t like having to mix the spf and the moisturizer in the jar each morning. This product would probably be great if they found a way to mix the moisturizer and sunblock properly.

A jar without hope

from Safety Harbor, FL

Cons

I've never understood the supposed popularity of Philosophy's Hope in a Jar.  Sure it's a jar, but what's inside is neither a moisturizer nor something that can give skin hope of ever looking better.  It's kind of watery instead of greasy which is a plus, but coming from someone who doesn't have super-dry skin, I fail to see its moisturizing properties.  It doesn't lift or firm or protect or anything else from what I experienced, but it's darn pricey.  And, I have to admit I'm in love with Philosophy's Grace fragrances and body washes, plus they've got an awesome two-step Microdelivery Peel product.  But Hope, whether it's the jar or the eye cream, just doesn't offer any real benefits to me or my skin.