Other Facial Moisturizers:
Philosophy
Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types

Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types

Great moisturizer but a little less fragrance would be nice :)

A few months ago, just as the cold dry air of winter really set in, my skin was uncomfortably dry. My olay moisturizer just wasn't getting it done. Out of desperation, I used a small amount of my Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion on my face (great stuff!). Though it works wonders on my hands, it was a tad on the greasy side for my face.

I had heard wonderful things about Philosophy's facial moisturizers (my girls love the body washes too!) but the price tag was just a bit much for my budget. As it was early December, I called my mom and asked that it be part of my Christmas gift this year. As promised, mom gave me a small jar. It has worked wonderfully for me this winter. I use it twice a day, once in the morning after my shower and once at night after I wash my makeup off. It gives my skin plenty of moisture without interfering with my ability to put makeup on.

The only con I really see (besides the price) is the fragrance. I believe Philosophy says that its a lavender fragrance. In my opinion, it is a bit too strong but not completely unpleasant. It is refreshing, but lavender just isn't my favorite fragrance. If you are in need of a good moisturizer, I think its worth trying. I am just more of a dove soap (fragrance) kind of girl.

Hope in a Jar is just ok.

I got this because it was one of Oprah's "favorite things"...but i am pretty dissappointed by this product. First of all, I hate the way it smells. It has a chemical-like odor. It is not moisturizing enough, by noon i need to reapply to the dryer areas of my face. It is very thin...I prefer a thicker moisturizer. It is way overpriced as well..just not worth the money that you pay for it..and I have to order it online and pay shipping because I couldn't find it in any stores where I live. The good things are that it is not greasy or oily and does not cause me to break out. It does not leave your face looking shiny like some other facial moisturizers do. I can put it on and go. I don't have to worry about my face looking like I just put lotion on it. Overall just not as good as I was hoping it would be. If it didn't smell so wierd I would like it better, but I can't get over the smell! Probably would not recommend to a friend.

One of my very favorite moisturizers.

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

I have been using this since I saw it on Oprah's "favorite"things list. I really love the way it feels in the jar, so whipped, and I love the way it feels on my skin. It goes on really nice and soaks in really nicely. It makes my skin feel smooth and soft but never greasy.

It moisturizers my skin really nicely. I am not sure how effective it is on my fine, and some not so fine, lines. I don't like a facial moisturizer with SPF and this version does not have it.

Ease of Application
Very easy to use and it doesn't seem to burn my eyes like some other facial moisturizers.

My least favorite thing about this moisturizer is the scent. I like floral, more pretty scents and this one is not scented florally at all.

• Ease of Application:

Hands Down The Best

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

Hands Down this the "THE BEST" moisturizer I have EVER used. I do think it is a little on the pricey side, but it is well worth the money. My skin looks and feels great with this product. I put it on in the morning and my skin feels hydrated all day long NOT GREASY. I have combination skin and it has always been difficult to find a moisturizer that gave me the moisture I needed without my forehead looking and feeling greasy. This product is the answer !

so silky, but not worth the price

from Abingdon, MD

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

I first saw this moisturizer advertised on Oprah's favorite things so I really wanted to try it and looked it up right away. I was a discouraged by the price (but not surprised since it was on Oprah's list). Later I got a coupon for sephora so i threw a travel size of hope in a jar in with my order and was excited to try it. i loved the feeling of the moisturizer but the smell was terrible! it's a really strong, herbal, unpleasant smell-which is terrible because it's on your face so you can't get away from the scent! because of this, i only used it at night. for a moisturizer that is so expensive, they should really make it a more pleasant smell. i probably would not buy this moisturizer again unless they fix the scent!

Hope in a Jar saved my face!

from Pompano Beach, FL

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

After going through moisturizer after moisturizer I finally broke down and decided to give Hope in a Jar a try. I have very dry skin and after never having an issue with acne in my life, now that I'm in my 30's it seems to be a problem. I've developed this baby acne that never goes away (I've even tried to pick it off, I know... bad!) and since switching my cleanser (to First Aid Beauty) and then switching to this moisturizer, the baby acne is disappearing!!!!! It does help moisturize my skin much better than anything else too but I think next time I buy Hope in a Jar, I'm going to buy the version for dry skin because I still have some bad dry patches. Sometimes I will put a thick layer of it on and use it almost like a scrub to try to sluff off all of the nasty dry stuff and then wipe that off before putting my layer on for actual moisturizing. If you are someone with very dry skin like me, you may want to give that a try too. Overall though, this has provided a huge transformation and I am grateful! No more cheaping out!

Soft skin

from Cicero, IN

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

I am happy with my purchase of the Philosophy Hope in a Jar. I was nervous about paying so much, but I have not been disappointed with any of the products after 6 weeks. This moisturizer makes my skin very soft. My only complaint is that the smell is very strong. It's not bad, but not my favorite either. Also, the tub is almost empty after 6 weeks so I'm not wanting to shell out more money for it again. However, its the best I've found for my skin.

Hope in a Jar is just ok.

from Henrico, VA

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

Great moisturizer but a little less fragrance would be nice :)

from Buchanan, VA

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

Hope for everything...but my wallet.

from Welsh, LA

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

I've always had dry skin, but it has gotten worse as I've hit my late twenties. It has always been bad in the winter- we're talking red, chapped, flaky, and well, not sexy but it became unbearable (inflamed) this winter. So, I bit the bullet and shelled out for Philosophy Hope in a Jar (1oz).

I'm lovin' it. It's very thick, but it rubs in well and doesn't feel greasy. The consistency is about like a thick custard; if you place it on your finger it won't drip off. The moisture is great, but I still put on two layers if I know I'm going to be out in the wind, and it held up fairly well at a recent burial service.

I know a lot of people talk about the smell. It is a bit odd, but not odd enough to deter me from it. It kind of reminds me of the smell of the cough syrup, Delsym, but a little bit lighter than that. After I wash my hands and put on my makeup I don't smell it anymore though.

I'm giving it only 4 stars since it's so expensive. A 1 oz jar has lasted about 6 weeks. When you look at the prices on sephora, ulta, etc, you can understand why I'm cringing. But it's worth it if you have painfully dry, inflamed skin. I'm going to buy again.

p.s. It pairs well with my Smashbox primer

Hope in a Jar is the perfect moisturizer for combo skin!

from Fayetteville, GA

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

Philosophy's *Hope in a Jar *moisturizer has been a breath of fresh air for my skin.  I have combination skin and find that it is much more oily in my T-zone in the warmer months.  I have to be careful with putting any type of moisturizer on my skin because the extra moisture will tend to break me out.  However, *Hope in a Jar* does not break me out or make my skin feel greasy or oily.  The formula is for all skin types so I am able to use it year round when I am drier in the winter and oily in the summer.

I find that when I apply it before my make-up that my make-up applies so much more easy and smooth.  It's almost like it helps to blend the make-up in my skin more evenly.

One word of caution:  Do not get it too close to your eyes because I have noticed that it will cause a burning sensation in your eyes.

The smell is odd at first but becomes one you won't mind.  The effects of the moisturizer far out-weigh the smell.

It's a great product and well worth the money.

The Perfect Every Day Moisturizer

from Salem, OR

Comments about Philosophy Hope In a Jar Moisturizer All Skin Types:

I love this moisturizer! I have combination skin that changes with the seasons. Hope in a Jar rises to the challenge everytime! I use this everyday and buy the large 8oz size. A little bit goes a long way and the jar lasts for over 8 months. The smell is rather herbally, and I know some people don't like it but I do. I don't wear much make up and this product is great finishing touch.

It's not greasy and has a light consitiency but delivers quality moisturization my skin seeks. It helped my skin gain a beautiful glow that other people notice. I use it every morning and rotate it in the evening. Sometimes I use something more moisturizing other times mix it with a skin treatment.

It glides on smooth and a finger tip amount is enough to cover the face, neck and upper chest area. I'd also suggest using excess on the back of your hands. That skin is often overlooked but just as delicate as your face.