4.1

Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer

4.1

Pros

Cons

Don't stick that germy thing in your mouth! Ick.

**The Verdict:** Does it work?  Well I haven't swabbed my toothbrush before or after using the Sonicare UV Sanitizer so I can't say for sure.  As far as I know I've never gotten sick or died from germs on my toothbrush, but knowing that it's likely and that my toothbrush isn't out in the open makes me feel better.

**Just the Facts:**  Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm a total germophobe.  I'm one of those chicks who can use a public restroom without actually touching anything with my hands.  I am so grossed out and worried about germs that sometimes I feel like Bill Murray in that movie What About Bob, only more able to function in society.

So you can imagine how freaked out I get about keeping my toothbrush out on the counter in my bathroom.  It freaks me out to think of spiders crawling on it, things flying out of the toilet, dust settling on it.  Ewww.  I'd keep it in the drawer but it's a Sonicare so it needs to charge on the base where I store it.

Last week I signed up for a campaign at BzzAgent.com where I received a free Sonicare UV Sanitizer in exchange for my honest opinion of it and getting the word out about this product.

The sanitizer is fairly small so it doesn't take up much space on my counter.  After brushing my teeth I remove the brush head from my toothbrush, place it inside the sanitizer, close the door, and push the button on top of the unit.  The unit works for 10 minutes and sanitizes my brush with a small UV light on the inside.  It shuts off automatically when the 10 minute cycle has completed.  According to Sonicare my toothbrush is sanitized using the same UV technology used in hospitals to sterilize surgical instruments.

The unit opens up in front and accomodates Sonicare brush heads as well as Oral-B.  It comes with adapters so that they fit on the stand correctly.

**Closing Argument:**  While I'm not completely sure if my toothbrush is sanitized, it makes my crazy germophobe mind feel better when using it.  I usually sanitize my brush while showering so when I get out of the shower my brush is warm, dry and clean.  I have been really sick for several weeks and to be honest it makes me feel better to know that I don't have to throw out my brand new brush head.

Four stars for the Sonicare UV Sanitizer as it's a good idea that gives me peace of mind.

Love my toothbrush but not this sanitizer

I love my Sonicare e series toothbrush and will never go back to a manual toothbrush so Ithought this Sonicare Sanitizer would be a favorite too but I've been disappointed.

I...Read complete review

I know there are a lot of germs floating around a bathroom so I thought this would be a great way to keep our toothbrush heads clean.  When it starts up the blue light looks impressive and you really feel like the brush heads must be clean and I believed it at first.  Then the inside started to mold.  If it is killing so many germs how is it growing mold?

My husband suggested leaving the door open but that defeats the purpose of the Sanitizer if you ask me.  I cleaned the inside of the Sanitizer really well but the mold came back.  I also found some mold on the toothbrush head under the colored band which I never noticed on previous brush heads before we started using the Sonicare Sanitizer.

I loved the idea that my toothbrush could be clean in just 10 minutes but I don't feel this Sanitizer lives up to the task.

Does it work?

from Long Beach, CA

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

I like the concept of this product but I have no proof that it works. It is easy to use andit takes up very little time and space. I think for peace of mind, it is a very good product but I cannot say it has reduced any colds or sickness in the household.

Lights...action...hmmmm

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

Well the toothbrush is warm when it comes out of the machine...but is it germ free?  I dunno...but I'd rather take the chance it does.  It lights up like the tools at the nail salon, so I am hoing it does something.  But I am a person who needs proof, perhaps if it came with a type of litmus test I would be able to recommend it with more enthusiasm...alas...I cannot.   I just hope it is doing what it claims.

The UV Sanitizer will help to keep your mouth clean & healthy.

from Livingston, TX

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

I received my Sonicare UV Sanitizer as a BzzAgent so I could experience using it & give feedback.The Sonicare UV Sanitizer is just what you need to keep your toothbrush clean & germ free.  It takes seconds to set up & plug in & when you are finished brushing, just remove the brushhead, insert it into the sanitizer, close the door & push the button...it's that easy!  I would highly recommend!!!

Really neat

from Springfield, MO

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

I recieved this product as a gift, and have really enjoyed it. not sure that i would have purchased it on my own, but love having it. it is a place to keep your brush heads that is much more sanitary than the little plastic stand that came with our sonicare elite. the little plastic holder would get moldy..and definatly not clean. keeping our brushes in the sanitizer and sanitizing them once a day is really nice, and alot cleaner. You just have to make sure to dry them off enough before you put them in there. its neat to think that it cleans your brush with only a light. Makes you feel better about what you are putting in your mouth, and protects it from anything else that might get on there.

Germ-free Toothbrush

from Bally, PA

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

The Sonicare UV Sanitizer is the best thing in the line of dental hygiene. A toothbrush holds some many germs, but this product keeps your Sonicare toothbrush germ-free. It is an absolute must, it is easy to use, stores your toothbrush, and keeps your mouth cleaner. Another great product from Sonicare.

A Great Idea

from Pataskala, OH

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

I was so happy when I received this product as a BzzAgent. I love it so much. I have a very small bathroom and the shower and the toilet and the sink are all within mere inches of each other.  In other words, lots of dirty/germy stuff goes on VERY close to where I store my toothbrush. This makes me feel much more confident about it being sanitary!

Yucko!

from Franklinton, LA

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

Why do we intend on making ourselves sick? Do you know how many germs live on your tooth brush? This week I recieved my Sonicare uv sanitizer. When I read how many germs live on my toothbrush I became ill to my stomach! Now only 10 minutes a day can make my toothbrush a safe tool to use.

By placing your Sonicare toothbrush or your Oral B toothbrush in the sanitizing chamber and pushing the button on top of the unit you will remove 99% of the germs,mutants and e-coli that survives on your toothbrush after every use.

It automatically shuts off allowing you and it uses an ultra-violet light that helps kill bactieria and viruses that live on your brush.It cleans the brush all around,all the way down to the bristles. Striking bactieria directly.

Your toothbrush can be stored in the unit until the nex time you use it. And the unit does not take up a lot of space. And the price is very affordable. So people please quit making yourselves sick. Go to the Sonicare web site and learn all you can about this great little product.

Holley

Clean teeth and clean brush!

from Concord, NH

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

This sanitizer kills up to 99% of bacteria living on your brush head.  I just put my toothbrush head in there, push the button, and 10 minutes later, the UV light has killed almost all of the germs on the brush.  Excessive bacteria is not a good thing to have in your mouth.  That is why I brush my teeth with the Sonicare toothbrush to begin with.  Now, with the sanitizer, I am even more certain that I am killing the germs.  Too bad I can't put my whole kitchen in there.

Sonicare Sanitizer does its job

from Round Rock, TX

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

With the winter weather not only causing havoc in the community, it can also cause havoc with our health. While the benefits to using a Sonicare Electric Toothbrush are said to be great for our teeth, the cost of replacing the toothbrush heads can get expensive in a family of four that may get sick often. It is advised to replace the toothbrush heads after 3 or 6 months, but again that can get costly. Even more costly is to replace the toothbrush heads after each bout of cold, viruses, or flu. Using the Sonicare Toothbrush Sanitizer can help make your toothbrush head last longer and therefore keeping the cost to use the electric toothbrush down. While I would not suggest that this product would truly be a good idea to use if you have just gotten over the flu, I do think that on a daily basis it does the job keeping your toothbrush head sanitized to help the life of the toothbrush, thus keeping more money in your wallet.

PHILIPS SONICARE BEST ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH

from Tacoma, WA

Comments about Philips Sonicare HX7990/02 UV Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer:

I Absolutely LOVE my Phillips Sonicare electric toothbrush. Since owning it I have noticed a significant change in my teeth. They are whiter and healthier. Set the toothbrush and it will shut off automatically to make sure you are getting the proper amount of cleaning time. I highly recommend this products for those kids that don't take the time to properly brush there teeth. The toothbrush has several settings to make sure you are getting the proper cleaning. Gentle on the teeth and gums. Highly Recommend.