Other Electric Toothbrushes:

Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush

Pros

Cons

• Performance/Cleaning:

Keeps my teeth and gums healthy!

Everytime I go to the dentist (twice a year) the hygienist always raves about how clean my teeth are. This toothbrush keeps my gums and teeth healthy and I love how my mouth feels after I brush my teeth. The very first day I used it, I was a little shocked at the sensation of the toothbrush, but it took no time getting use to it. The price is very high, though, and I have hopes that in the future, toothbrushes like the Sonicare will drop because the technology is older. The replacement heads are expensive also, and like with any toothbrush it is reccommended to change the heads once every 3 months. You can usually find a decent coupon when you need to purchase the replacement heads, but I find that the price is still too high. This toothbrush comes with a charging station and a small stand that the brush head can sit on. This is very convenient, but I find that if I put the toothbrush in the stand, as it is reccommended, mold starts to grow on the inside part of the head. This part doesn' t come in contact with my mouth, but it's gross nonetheless. I find that if I lay the brush head on it's side on the stand, it has plenty of contact with the air so it can dry, which prevents mold from growing. We've owned two of these brushes for about 3 years and they still both work really well. I would definately reccommend this toothbrush to anyone, but I would definately warn them about the initial cost and future costs associated with it.

Sonicare e5300 Eletric Toothbrush

Had done some research and decided to invest in electric toothbrushes. Had read they were better at cleaning and whitening than regular toothbrushes. The toothbrushes are bit on the expensive side. This was to be expected. What wasn't expected was the additional cost of the replacement heads months later. They are powerful. They sit on chargers on the sink. This does take up a bit of space. This model has a built in timer of two minutes. Other models have timers of 30 seconds that keep you moving to the different quadrants of your mouth. Two minutes seems like a long time when you're not used to an electric toothbrush. It can be a little overpowering at times as well. My teeth feel clean though. They are not easy to travel with. They do come witha travel case. The toothbrush comes apart in two pieces. But it takes up a lot more space in your travel bag than a typical toothbrush. My husband and I have actually started traveling with regular toothbrushes because it's just too difficult to travel with the Sonicares. The verdict is still out as to whether or not I'd buy them again. I know they are suppose to be better for my dental health. But the upkeep is a bit pricey and times are tough.

Cleans great but be gentle!!

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

Throughout my life, I had excellent dental hygiene. My trips to the dentists office were pretty much the same. Your teeth look great, keep doing what you're doing. Brush, floss, etc. And then my 40's arrived and so did my dental problems! I began to have cavities and I couldn't understand why?? My dentist urged me to get a Sonicare. I went to the store to pick out a Sonicare and was a bit overwhelmed with the choices! There were at least 5 different models to choose from on the shelves. I went with the base model as I wasn't sure what to expect. The first time I tried it out, I was quite frankly startled! The brushing was "intense"! I really didn't like the vibrating feeling in my mouth but I had made the financial investment so I was going to keep using it. After a few weeks, I got used the vibrations. In fact, the first time I used a regular toothbrush after using my Sonicare, I thought to myself, "how is this old thing getting my teeth clean at all". The Sonicare really does give your teeth a smooth feeling. A word of warning...my dentist has informed that I have started to have some gum recession from brushing too hard with my Sonicare. So, I would advise anyone to have a really gentle had while using a Sonicare. Do not push down too hard and don't brush back and forth. Just slowly and gently move the brush around your teeth and at the gum line for a thorough cleaning.

• Performance/Cleaning:

The best get your teeth clean product out there

from Tulsa, OK

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

First, I have to say- I have used Sonicare products for well over 10 years and absolutely love them. They were recommended by my dentist because I build up tartar quite easily on my teeth. This product has truly been a "tooth saver" for me. It's so simple to use. It alerts you when your 2 minute brushing time is up, so there never is a question of "Did I brush my teeth long enough?" It recharges quite quickly. But the best thing, it really does do a deep clean on your teeth. If you use this as you should, your teeth will feel like you just got them cleaned at the dentist office. Don't get me wrong, you still have to use floss, but this product truly is great. The initial cost is definitely higher than a manual toothbrush, but you honestly get what you pay for. The replacement heads aren't cheap either and this is the biggest drawback to this item. However, for me- you can't put a price on keeping your teeth is good health. It's sure cheaper than fillings, extractions or dentures!

Performance/Cleaning
There is truly no better product when it comes to getting your teeth super clean!

These will last for years. Of course you have to buy replacement heads for them every 3 to 4 months, but the base to the toothbrush will last for many years.

Best Christmas Present ever

from Tacoma, WA

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

For as long as I could remember, I've always wanted a Sonicare toothbrush. I had an Oral B one for years and I continued to get lectured by my dentist. My boyfriend gave it to me as a Christmas present 3 years ago. As soon as I started using my Sonicare, my dentist stopped lecturing me.

I had really crooked teeth growing up, and finally had braces to correct them. Ever since they were removed, I did my best to make sure my teeth were always healthy. I believe my Sonicare has done that for me, and has given me the whitest smile I could ever ask for.

It is the perfect size for me to hold onto and control. My favorite part is the built in timer. There is a "clean" and a "clean and white" button. The "clean" portion assures me that I have cleaned all sides evenly. The "clean and white" option allows me to brush my front teeth a little more for extra brightening. It also gives me time to brush my tongue.
The battery life is excellent. I hardly charge my Sonicare before I have to plug it in again. I use my Sonicare at least twice a day, and I no longer have any cavities. It thoroughly cleans my permanent retainer behind my teeth as well. It is very delicate when I have to brush near my receding gums (which my Oral B gave me). My breath is always fresh, and my teeth has gotten a few shades whiter. This is the greatest present ever! My teeth are so thankful!

Sonicare essence-great product

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

This toothbrush is easy to use, easy to clean, and does not need plugged in very often. The brushhead lasts a long time.

Performance/Cleaning
It is easy to take the brush head off and clean the inside. I just turn it over in a cup of hot water and let it soak.

I don't need to plug it in to recharge very often. The brush head lasts a long time.

• Performance/Cleaning:

Great product that has me and my dentist smiling

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

I was a little unsure when my dentist recommended the Sonicare toothbrush, mainly because of the price. I have a particularly small mouth and my dentist explained that the Sonicare could help in reaching all of the tight crevices. I decided to take the plunge and haven't regretted it! I just had my 6 month check up and the hygienist commented that I made her job very easy and that there was minimal plaque to clean.
The Sonicare despite it's loudness, is completely painless. My only complaints are that my small mouth often seems too full with liquid and the toothbrush and also that the Sonicare can be quite loud. From what I hear it has gotten more quiet over the years, but with how far the tech world is I would expect it to be silent!

Performance/Cleaning
My hygienist and dentist both noticed improvements in the plaque level in my mouth. My teeth always feel more smooth and clean after using the Sonicare.

I have not had any problems with durability involving the Sonicare. I do think the way the head connects could be improved, because gross liquids solidify and build up even when I try to keep it clean.

Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 delivers

from Georgetown, TX

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

My dental hygienist recommended Philips Sonicare and this is the model I bought. I have been using it for about 4 years now and have not been disappointed. It does a great job of cleaning my teeth and maintaining the health of my gums. You don't have to apply much pressure--just let the toothbrush do its work. It stops automatically after 2 minutes so you're not only guaranteed excellent cleaning but you also realize that when you use a manual toothbrush you're probably only brushing about 20 seconds! When I have my dental check-ups the hygienist always notes that my gums are healthy and I have very little or no tartar build-up. The only downside to the toothbrush, which I think others have mentioned, is the cost of the replacement heads. To keep costs down a little I use the Philips twice a day but if and when I brush my teeth at other times, I use a manual toothbrush--but try to brush as long as the electric one! Also, to keep the toothbrush performing well, you should take it apart and clean it thoroughly at least once a week.

I've had my toothbrush for over 4 years and even after using it every day, it still works well.

The brush to own

from New Jersey

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

This toothbrush not only does the job but will last a long time. Sonicare has been around and is great for reducing tartar buildup. This brush has a lot of strength and really makes your mouth feel clean after brushing. Great for your kids to stop cavities. As I was recently told by my dentist office that using a toothbrush like Sonicare (which happens to be highly rated with them) will keep your teeth in much better shape as you will not have tartar buildup as well as your mouth really feels so much cleaner. It actually feels like you just got your teeth cleaned with that fresh sensation. so easy to use as the power in the brush does all the work for you. when I purchased mine I had just gotten my teeth cleaned so I decided to really see if this brush lived up to what it was stating. I switched to this brush and on my next 6 month check up my dentist told me I went from heavy buildup to moderate and asked what I was doing differently. Thanks so much for creating this product!

great

lasts

Great, clean toothbrushing experience

from Prior Lake, MN

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

I have used Sonicare brushes for over 10 years and have no plans of going back to manual brushing. With this toothbrush, you have your timer that shuts off after 2 minutes to let you know that you've brushed the recommended amount, (turn it back on if you need more time). I keep mine plugged in at all times sitting on the countertop and never have any issues with the battery on the brush dying, unless of course it's unplugged or traveled with for longer than 10 days. Either way, the brushing experience is wonderful. My teeth always feel extremely clean after brushing, similar to just coming back from a visit to the dentist. Brush heads are expensive, yes, but it is (recommended) that they're replaced every 3 months, not absolutely necessary. They do have coupons decently often and I can get some ok deals for replacement heads. Overall, it's a great brushing experience and you know that you're brushing all the areas for long enough with it's great timer.

• Performance/Cleaning:

Sonicare Essence is the best electric toothbrush

from Evanston, IL

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

My husband and I have had our Sonicare toothbrush for many years now, and it's still going strong! I love that we only need one between the two of us. You can easily switch out the heads so everyone has their own brush, but you only need to buy one base. Easy peasy! I like the heads too--good size bristles with just the right amount of firmness. The unit charges quickly and the charge lasts a long time. We've taken it away with us for the weekend and had no issues with running out of charge. The heads are kind of expensive, so this isn't going to be a toothbrush for the very cash-strapped. However, our toothbrush has lasted a long time. In fact, my mom had her Sonicare for a decade before it finally stopped charging. That's a pretty long life for an electronic item, in my opinion! We're very happy with our Sonicare.

Entry Level Item Provides Great Results

Comments about Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush:

This is the simplest of all Sonicare toothbrushes, yet it could be all you need. It helps you fight gingivitis, helps you whiten your teeth, and it helps you keep them squeaky clean. I personally like the 30 second timer that allows you to dedicate equal time to all four quadrants of your mouth. You can also pick the size and hardness of the toothbrush heads, which, by the way, always have a rebate or special offer.
Recommendations: charge the toothbrush once a week, at least, and try to alter the patterns of you brushing. After a while, brushing one way becomes boring, and switching patterns keeps it new, entertaining and keeps your teeth clean.

Performance/Cleaning
My teeth are always clean, my gums are always healthy, my breath is always fresh.

Toothbrush heads need to be replaced every three months. One of my toothbrushes died after 18 months, but was replaced under warratny from Phillips. No complains.