3.7
Philips - DVD Player

Philips - DVD Player

3.7

From VCR to DVD, WOW!

I got this DVD player for Christmas. It was my first one, but it was easy to use. I have seen other people use DVD players so I was sort of familiar with DVD technology. The player does well and it is fairly small and flat which is good for someone who does not have much room. Now new life is brought to movies I saw years ago on the VCR. The remote control is white which makes it less likely to lose. It fits nicely in the palm of my hand as I try to figure out the buttons which are pretty much self-explanatory. I did have to break out the instruction book to figure out how to work the dance angles feature on the Dirty Dancing DVD. The instruction book is very understandable as long as I'm in the English part. The display panel where the words or time appears is very visible. I always appreciate technology that is user-friendly, and the Philips DVD Player fits that category.

Philips DVD player is great - until the warranty ends

I was initially very happy with the Philips DVD player (model DVP 3040/37) - versatile, straightforward, compact, fit the budget, good picture and sound.But just 16 months after I bought it - that's 4 months after the free-replacement warranty expired - the player hangs up (freezes) while switching tracks or chapters, making it essentially useless. (Unless all you really want to watch is the FBI warning.)No troubleshooting or repair is available.  Online customer service "live chat" is really a robot that offers no help whatsoever.  Phone customer service with a real person was helpful, but the only option is to pay (a reduced price) for a replacement.  The replacement would have a *3 month warranty.***If this Philips DVD player dies after just 16 months, why would I want to pay for another?**

First DVD player my family have and I still use it!

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

Yes, it's an early simple and LONG DVD player, but it's perfect for my old TV console I keep in my bathroom since there's nowhere else to put it! It still plays DVDs BEAUTIFULLY and hooks into the TV perfectly, I haven't had ANY problems with it.

AMAZING performance! Never overheats or skips any DVDs, plays smoothly every time!

Playback Quality
Never skips unless there is a scratch or dirt on the DVD, but I always clean them before putting them in so it doesn't have problems. Keeps your place on the disk when you shut it off!

Sound Quality
For an early player I get great sound from it, not faded or choppy at all.

It fits great on top of my old console, is out of the way, and has played every DVD I own perfectly without any issues.

Just press the power button, open the drive, put in the DVD, and play! And it keeps your place on the disk when you shut it off!

• Playback Quality:
  • Sound Quality:

Philips....AVOID!

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

Can't give it a zero. Player was defective out of the box.

Never loaded a disc after the third or fourth effort.

Playback Quality
The first couple of tries, a movie would begin, and the in the middle it would try to reload and start over. The fast forward search feature was useless....

Sound Quality
Not applicable, and after a SHORT time it would NOT even load a disc.

Obviously, the durability is suspect. Philips is aware of the problems, or they are in outer space. The reviews on these garbage units are in the pits.

Wouldn't even load a disc, however it was VERY easy to unhook, return to original box and it fit nicely in the trash bin at the local dump.

• Playback Quality:
  • Sound Quality:

Not so wonderful

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

I purchased a Philips DVD player about 18 months ago and the first one stopped working after about 9 months. I contacted the company as this machine is in my bedroom and had only been used about 10 times. Of course Philips was great and sent me a new one and I sent the old one back. Now this one, being the second one or the new one the company replaced, is beginning to do the same thing as the old one. About half the time the machine will not recognize the DVD until you have opened and closed the door four or five times. This gets annoying when you just want to sit, relax and watch a movie. I'd pay more, or less, for a product with more consistency.

Great Multisystem product, will play any file!

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

This is a great DVD Player.  It is cheap and good quality.  It will play most of your files, it even plays .avi files, which is great if you're from a foreign country and like to watch your movies in the .avi format.  Slick and simple design is very user friendly.

Best DVD Player Around

from Warrenville, IL

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

This DVD player is just about the best thing around. I've had it for 2 years now and it still amazes me. I own a meager collection of DVDs... but what I have a LOT of is media files on my computer. I'll admit it - I'm a computer geek. I have more MP3s, JPGs, MPGs and other files than I have clothes in my wardrobe. What I was looking for when I went shopping for a DVD player was a machine that would play the few DVDs I have... and ALSO play data discs of movies, music and pictures from my computer. These days, most DVD players can do that - so it might not seem like a big deal. However, THIS player has the ability to play DivX coded files. DivX is one of the more popular compression tools around, because it keeps the quality of the video high while compressing the file to a relatively small size. Being able to play videos encoded with DivX gives this Philips DVD player a leg up on ALL other players. Plus, it's got a few other less popular (but still frequently seen!) file types under it's belt. This thing... is a monster. It plays almost anything I throw at it. Burn a disc, toss it in the player, view the vids. It really is as simple as that. As an added bonus, it plays the PAL music videos I bought at a great price a few years ago without realizing most DVD players won't play them. My previous oops is now my current joy - this DVD player plays these discs just as easily as the NTSC formatted discs. Hooray!

Great price for a good quality product.

from Port Orchard, WA

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

Simplicity is a good thing.  This simple to use, easy to install, and low priced dvd player is a steal.  I am "techno" challenged but I was able to install this all by myself.  The picture quality is good, and it is very easy to operate with the remote control.  I attached it to an older model TV and had no problems with the process.

Good for the Price

from West Monroe, LA

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

I bought this DVD player about 8 months ago because I needed a cheap one to go in a my office so I could put on movies while I did my work. This thing has turned out to be a great investment. I haven't had hardly a bit of trouble with it. The start up time is not to slow, the remote is very functional and quick in its response, and it will play any of my dvds, whether they are copies or originals. I also really like the size of the player, it doesnt feel cheap like some of the other brands and it has a nice look to it. I could not be happier with the make and quality of the product overall. The only real flaw I see with it is that every now and then, I will put a dvd in and it will won't read. But this is quickly remedied by ejecting the disc and wiping it clean. Other than that, it works like a dream. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a cheap but well made dvd player to look at the phillips brand players. They are definitely worth the money.

Works Great

from Chandler Heights, AZ

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

We received this as a wedding present and we totally love it.  We only have one complaint but that is totally our fault.  We lost the remote control when we moved across country, and the DVD player is virtually unusable without it.  You can put a DVD in the player, but all you can do it press play.  So that is fine if we want to just put a DVD in and watch it, but there is no way to choose any options or settings without the remote.  Which is fine so long as you don't lose the remote.  I have had other DVD players that were easier to control manually, though.  However, most people manage not to permanently lose the remote so this should not be a problem.  The DVD player plays the DVDs really well and is simple and light weight as well.  Really there is not much more you could ask for from a DVD player.  We did have a slight problem with it getting too warm and not working when we had it sitting on top of our cable box.  So that is something to be aware of when you use it.

Cheap is better!

from Tempe, AZ

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

This is by far the best dvd player I have every owned. This DVD player is very compact and it's divx certified, which means it will play almost any video files. If you own this dvd player than you can burn files like (avi, mpg, etc.) directly on the DVD wihtout converting them to vob (dvd files), and it will play them just fine. After getting this dvd player, I have burnt tons of dvds with more than 5 movies each and it plays them all perfect in dvd quality. I would recommend people get extended warranty, which is not that much more expensive and it is definately worth it. I am currently using refurbished version of this dvd and it's been working excellent for past year and a half without any problem. This dvd player looks very slick due to its fine black edges. Don't fall for the other expensive dvd players, because they won't be able to play divx files like this dvd player is able to do.

review for a phillips dvp642

from Schertz, TX

Comments about Philips - DVD Player:

This is a review for a phillips dvp642 dvd player. The reason i got this was it would play multipe media foramts liek divx movies of copied you made of your dvds. It has a zoom function so peopel that have regualr SDTVs and not widescreens can make the dvd fill full screen. It doesn;t always work though it zooms in but either nto enough or too much. This dvd player does have progressive scan if peopel are interested in that feature. The remote is ok but not great. One of the features it lacks is a clock,. I really like the clock so i can see what time it is and this doesn;t have one like most dvd or vcrs do. Also in this day there are players that allow you to strem netlfix and other only media. This cannot stream netflix or any of your network content. Also it doesn;t do a good job of displaying the time of the movie play when you use the on screen display but it does have a counter on the LED where i wish there was a clock feature. This dvd player still works but I recomended others look into new models that have streaming or maybe even blueray players. Personaly i never play bluerays so this dvd players works fine. The major plus like i said is it was oen of the few players at the time i bought it from circuit city that played multiple formats.