View more DVD Recorders

Philips
DVDR3575H/37
Philips - (160 GB) Recorder HDD Recorder

Philips - (160 GB) Recorder HDD Recorder

fantastic piece of equipment - get one while you can

from Winston, GA

Comments about Philips - (160 GB) Recorder HDD Recorder:

If you've read any of my other reviews, you'll see I'm what polite people describe as "thrifty".  Therefore, I don't want to pay a monthly fee to my cable provider for their DVR and that's where the  Philips DVDR3575H comes in.

Hookup was a breeze.  I put a cable splitter on my incoming coax and send one to the RF-in on the DVDR and the other to the cable set-top box.  I then used the RCA plugs to connect both devices (set-top box and DVDR) to my TV.  Now I can watch one channel (with OnDemand and menus etc) while recording another.  The only flaw is that I can only directly record those channels that my carrier provides without encryption.  If I want to record an encrypted channel, I have to be "watching" it at the same time record via the RCA plug input.

The DVDR does everything you would expect... you can copy from DVD to HDD, you can split/join/edit recordings and the timer is extremely easy to understand.

There were a number of features I wasn't expecting too - such as the ability to sync the time from a broadcast channel and a method to allow all region DVDs to play.  Also, it uses regular PC components so it's trivial to swap out the HDD or DVD

The only downsides are that the blue "recording" light is like a beacon and can be annoying when recording in the middle of the night.  It's like having a police car in the room with you it's so bright.  Also, while it has a USB port and can play DIVX files it cannot play DIVX files off the USB port.  You need to burn them to DVD first.

Sadly, it looks like the cable companies are trying to kill this kind of device so buy while you can!

Philips divx makes it easy to find entertainment

from Abilene, TX

Comments about Philips - (160 GB) Recorder HDD Recorder:

The Philips divX works perfectly! It plays both storebought dvds and dvds with movie files copied on them. It also features an area to input a flashdrive with movie files copied from your computer. It provides entertainment when there really isn't anything on TV or Cable. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who likes to stay on top of entertainment options. Plus Philips has always been one of my favorite brands, as it always proves to be fully dependable and has never let me down. Please buy this product, you won't regret it!