Other Dog Carriers & Crates:
Petmate Wire Training Kennel

Petmate Wire Training Kennel

Pros

Cons

This kennel makes it easy to housetrain a puppy.

I've used *Petmate Wire Training Kennels* for about three years now.  I fostered for a local dog rescue for two years and then decided to start an animal rescue of my own about a year ago.  I've cared for well over 100 dogs and puppies and have relied on these dog crates to help me confine and housetrain them.

We have a couple of medium-sized crates that we use for both small to medium dogs and groups of puppies.  They are made of plastic-coated wire and have a strong plastic tray at the bottom.  The kennel door swings easily and has two latches that slip into place without any of the annoying jiggling that I've had to do with no-name crates.

It's pretty easy to clean out the bottom pan of the *Petmate Wire Training Kennel*.  You can just slide it out to you rather than trying to crawl into the crate to scrub it out.  If you have a poopy puppy, the mess tends to get smashed into the wire along the sides of the kennel.  The sides don't slide out so it is more of a challenge to really clean them well.  As long as there's no snow on the ground or the temperature isn't near freezing, I usually just drag the soiled crate outside and blast it with the jet nozzle of the hose.

Because we have so many puppies and dogs coming through here from shelters and such, we always sanitize the crates with a bleach/water solution between new intakes/litters.  These crates have held up extremely well even after dozens of bleach solution soakings.

We've had many different types of crates donated to us over the years, but the *Petmate Wire Training Kennels* are the absolute best that we've used.  I don't drag the no-name ones up from the basement unless we absolutely need the extra crate space.

Petmate Medium Wire Training Kennel a Good product

I bought the Petmate Wire Training Kennel when I got my new dog. I would put my dog in the Kennel when I would leave the house. It worked for a little white but once my dog got a little bigger he found out that he would open the locks on the Kennel. Smart dog. I had to stop using the Kennel because every time I would put my dog in it he would just let him self out of it. I watched him do it one day because at first I thought that someone was letting him out but no it was doing it. This Kennel is good for dogs that have big paws and not little paws. I would recommend this to people that have dogs that will be big (medium to large 20 pound and up) and not for people that have small dogs (small dogs that get max of 15 pound). This has a easy set up and has a pull out tray for easy cleaning. It folds down when not in use and does not take up a lot of space when stored. It has a handle that can be moved from one spot to another for easy caring and storing.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

I use the 36" crate for my 1 yr old 9 lb Pekitese. She has to stay in it all day while I am at work so it is also her play area (that is why I purchased a larger one). Throw a couple small blankets and toys in there and she is happy. Super easy to assemble and to fold up for traveling. Tray is durable and cleans up nicely. Be sure to flip up/secure the latch under the door to keep the tray from sliding out! I missed that step in the assembling instructions and it caused a few accidents. Crate stays in place on the carpet. No problems with chewing or bending of metal, probably because she is so small. I was looking at the Top Paw Dbl Door crate and I almost bought it until I saw this one for forty bucks cheaper. The only difference between the two was the extra door. Also, with the Top Paw they had to bend the frame to get it in their small packaging box so you have to bed it back when you put it together. I believe this will be the one and only crate I will ever need to have for my dog!

I love this crate so much!

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

This crate is perfect for first time dog owners, puppies, everything. When I first got my Siberian Husky, she was very nervous in our home and had frequent accidents. I then found this Training Kennel and everything was easier. If she had an accident in her crate, I could pull out the tray and easily clean it and have less of a mess. It's a perfect crate!

A good cage for puppy or smaller dog

from Wantagh, NY

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

After looking at many different cages for a wide range of prices, we bought this cage for our new puppy. This was a great cage while she was really small and we were crate training her. It was a great size and and set up really easy. The fact that it had a reversible door was nice because it didn't limit us to where we could put the cage and could move it around if necessary. This cage is convienient because it does fold up easy and can store nicely. The tray was adequately durable and the fact that it was easily remvable (it slides right out) makes it easy to clean. The only issue we had in hindsight is we wished we bought a cage with a higher grade wire because as our dog got a little bigger, she was able to easily bend the wire and therfore able to squeeze out of the cage (which was scary because h\she really could have gotten hurt). Although it served its purpose for us, I would only recommend for the smaller breeds.

Keeps her in- what more can you ask?

from Greensboro, NC

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

We got a medium sized kennel for my pembroke Welsh Corgi. I wanted something comfortable for her, but strong enough to keep her rotten self in.

The Petmate Medium Wire Training Kennel fits the bill. She can't force her way through the bars and the crate has two latches, one at the top and one at the bottom, for extra safety. She can't bend the door even if she tried.

The floor pan slides out in case of accidents or just for general cleaning, which is so nice. It also folds up easily and is convenient to take to other places, like when we go to my in-laws house for holidays.

Our dog loves his Petmate kennel!

from Attleboro, MA

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

We purchased a Petmate kennel crate for our older dog, as he was having accidents in the house when we left. He was also having severe seperation anxiety when we left. We tried giving him his own bedroom, where he would scratch the door to shreds or break through gates. We then tried putting him in the bathroom, where he would again scratch up the door and bark incessantly. We then tried this crate, back in the bedroom-and he loved it! He goes in the crate on his own, it is his own little sanctuary. He has had absolutely NO accidents since using the crate, he just sleeps the whole time now! Some of our family has made comments on "locking him up" but they are convinced when they see him leave us in the living room and go lay in his crate on his own! We did not purchase any pads or bedding, we just placed a few blankets in the crate for him and he is happy. We love the slide out tray as it is easy to clean. It also folds up very nicely and neatly, easy to travel with.

Petmate Medium Kennel

from Gibsonville, NC

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

I love my Petmate Kennel.  It is the perfect size, easy to clean the tray and like that your dog can see from all sides of it.  Very sturdy, easy to move,and easy to break down and pack for a trip.  the perfect crate for my doggies.  Love it love it

Petmate Medium Wire Training Kennel a Good product

from Humble, TX

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

Petmate Crate is a great training tool!

from Manitowoc, WI

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

We received a Petmate wire crate/kennel/cage when we bought our Welsh corgi puppy from the pet store. It was part of a welcome home kit for new puppy owners. So, needless to say, we had not shopped around for any wire kennels/crates, but we are very pleased with Petmate! The crate itself does not look as strong as it is, but it is very durable, east to clean, lightweight, easily folded and transported, and is great in aiding in training. You can adjust the depth of the crate so there is less room for your four-legged friend to avoid their "accidents". ("they dont peep where they sleep") The plastic tray slides out for easier cleaning, and is comfortable on your pet's paws (no wires under their feet). Occassionally the slide locks are a little tough to move into or out of place, and the crate itself may take up a lot of area in your house when in use, but overall, it's a great product for many pet training uses!

Not an eyesore....

from Jacksonville, NC

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

What I love most about this kennel is its not an eyesore. Not a huge bulky crate sitting out in the middle of no where. I have had the hard plastic ones (which take up way too much space) and the heavy vinyl ones which my dog ate through :p So when I finally tried this wire crate I was hesitant to say the least. But it was great. It is easy to lock and unlock and transport. My only draw back is the bottom remove-able "pan". At first my dog was able to slide it out which was really annoying. Now I have put a pillow in there and she is as comfy as can be. We use it all the time for going out or on trips. The open feel of the crate is what I think she like best. She doesn't try to claw her way out of it like the others. She can see everywhere and everyone and we can see her. I love that too. I hate when we are gone for a while and she should be in a box. This is a comfy space with her bed and she can see everything. We have't had an accident in it but it is easy to wipe down if needed. Also my last favorite thing is I have three boys and this crate has proven to be durable.

Great kennel!

from Vandalia, OH

Comments about Petmate Wire Training Kennel:

I got this for my dog, she may not love going in it but it is great. There is a solid bottom that I am able to put a blanket on so the wire isn't so rough. Also, I have enough room to put in a bowl of water and some toys to keep her occupied while I am at work.

My dog is great - but she will absolutely tear up everything in her path if I leave her out while I am at work. She needs a lot of attention and if you do not give it to her then she will eat up everything.. namely my clothing. This kennel has provided the perfect solution to that problem. The door is secure, even if she does not try and escape.

I would say that it is pretty easy setup. You need a bit of room to open up each side panel but once that is done it can't be any more simple. There is a handle on the side for portability if needed.

Cleaning is also pretty easy with this kennel. I like the fact that I can get out a can of lysol wipes and have it cleaned up in no time.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone.