Other Digestion Medicines:
Pepcid
Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength

Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength

Eliminates Stomach Acid and Irritation

Pepcid AC is a product that is manufactured by Merck and distributed by Johnson & Johnson. Once available only as a prescription drug, Pepcid AC has now made its way to the mainstream market where anyone can make a purchase without the need of a doctor's permission. This "prescription strength" quality makes Pepcid AC one of the best over the counter treatments available for controlling heartburn.

**Medicine Commentary:**

Pepcid AC can be taken when heartburn strikes or before a heavy meal, to prevent the onslaught of heartburn. For myself, I usually take this medicine when I have already experienced the annoyance of heartburn. I don't normally take it before a heavy meal because most of the time (with the exception of holiday eating feasts) I do not anticipate overeating. It's one of those things that just happens from time to time. And when it does happen, I am prepared to fight back with my Pepcid AC tablets. This medicine is sold in three forms: gelcaps, chewable tablets, and non- chewable. Because they are so small, I recommend getting the non- chewable tablets. The tiny pills are very easy to swallow, even without water, in many cases. You really don't need to waste your time with chewable tablets. Each small, white tablet measures about 6mm by 8mm (approx. one quarter- inch by three eights of an inch) making it a cinch to swallow. Pepcid AC tablets are safe and can be used with other prescription drugs (although you shouldn't take them with other antacids). Be aware, though, that the main ingredient in Pepcid AC, Famotidine, can cause allergic reactions in some users.

**Bottom Line:**

Pepcid AC is easily better than most of the less expensive, more popular antacid treatments. Compared to Rolaids, Tums, and other chewable tablets as well as most liquids, Pepcid AC blows them away, providing relief that is stronger and longer- lasting. It's a must for someone like myself who suffers occasional bouts of acid reflux. It does cost more than other brands of antacid, yes. But once you've had a reflux attack, you won't care anymore about spending a little more money for something that is effective. No taste sensation is nastier than the flavor of certain foods (particularly dairy products) mixed with stomach acid making their way back up your esophagus into your mouth where you can taste them to the fullest. Pepcid AC stops heartburn in its tracks, reducing the acid and relieving the discomfort so you can get some sleep or get on with your day.

Keeps Heartburn Away if You Can Plan Ahead

Does a good job of keeping heartburn away as long as you can take it for a couple of days consecutively before eating those hot wings or other spicy foods. It's a little too expensive for me to take on a daily basis, but I know most likely if there's a football game on Saturday then Thursday or Friday I better take a pill and prepare for the spicy foods that I'm sure to consume.

If I already have heartburn it is completely ineffective, but I've learned to take it a few days in advance and keep taking it throughout the day. When taken consecutively for two or three days before eating something spicy, it keeps the heartburn from flaring up and it works sufficiently.

It's not always feasible to plan a day or two ahead before consuming anything that would give me heartburn. Since it is available over the counter there's no need to go to the doctor or worry about your prescription running out. It is easily readable.

Immediacy
If it works immediately for you, count your lucky stars because it does not help me at all if I already have heartburn. I need to take it for a couple of days beforehand and continue to take it everyday including the day I consume something spicy.

Keeps Heartburn Away if You Can Plan Ahead

Immediacy

• Immediacy:

Save the day

from Valley, AL

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

Pepcid Ac has to be the most effective over-the-counter acid reducer on the market.  It will even take care of the fish taste when you are taking fish oil.  It is a great value for the money.  If you have acid reflux it will save the day for you.

Effective

from Manhasset, NY

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

A very effecitive, powerful medication for those suffering from reflux, also known as GERD to the medical community.  Many things (a lot of them very tasty) exacerbate GERD symptoms namely spicy foods, coffee, tea, chocolate etc by increasing the acid production in your stomach.  If you go to the doctor with the typical complaints of burning stomach pain after enjoying these types of foods, he may tell you that you have GERD, and instruct you to first cut these things out.  However, many of you would find it hard to cut that morning cup of Joe out cold turkey.  I have found that Pepcid Acid Reducer has a very rapid onset of action.  I have found relief within 30 minutes to 1 hour.  It is also very effective to prophylax with this medication. Instead of waiting for the burning grinding pain to begin, you may pop a Pepcid before enjoying that Indian dish--an easy remedy.  Not to mention that this solution won't break the bank.

Pepcid is the only acid reducer that works for me.

from Gilmer, TX

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

Do you suffer from acid reflux?

Pepcid is the only product safe to use ! I have tried many other brands, but Pepcid is the only one that works for me, that lasts a full 24 hours.  Drs tell me that stress is one of the causes of acid reflux and everyone these days has stress! The Drs put me on prescription Zantac and Prilosec but they didn't work. I went to the pharmacist who told me the best over the counter medicine to try would be Pepcid. I tried it and was hooked, plus it was cheaper than the prescription.

Not much difference...

from Longview, WA

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

I have used this product for the past 2 weeks consecutively. I am currently seven months pregnant and my doctor told me that this was the safest over the counter medicine that I could use aside from chewables. I have to take this OTC medication twice a day, which is my first con. If I forget to take it in the morning, as I do almost every other day, I am feeling acid reflux by the late afternoon and then, by that time, it is too late to take my first dose. So I sometimes only get one dose in a day. When I only get one dose in on those days, then at night, my acid reflux is so bad that I can't sleep for the life of me. On the days that I do remember to take both, I still have to use another acid reducer like tums or rolaids about 50% of the time once or twice a day, usually at night since my acid reflux is worse at night. I am going to ask my dr. for another approach because this medicine just isn't strong enough.

Works Good for a Fast Fix.

from Lebanon, VA

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

Tried this product due to  constant heart burn, and the fact that I hated the chaulky tablets. They are much better than Rolaids and there is no chewing up of Chaulky tablets. I love these things. I've even gave them to my 16 year old daughter and a friend that refused all medicines due to fear of what they would do to her, she now loves them as well. There are no side affects that I can tell. They work within minutes. I've even used them after getting off of Roller Coaster Rides to settle my stomach back down.

I use Pepcid AC to drink liquor!

from Castro Valley, CA

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

I don't really have a problem with acid reflux, but I do use pepcid for a reason possibly not intended by the manufacturer. Whenever I know I am going to drink alcohol, about 30 minutes before I have a drink, I take a pepcid.

I read that there are some people who do not have enough of an enzyme to process alcohol. This is what causes some people to become red when they drink. I am definitely in this category. I tried Pepcid because a friend recommended it to me and it really did work to help me stop from getting red so fast and to keep me from feeling sick right away (I usually can't drink more than 1 beer).

I'm not saying that this is a way for people to drink more. It will not help you if you already have the enzyme that processes alcohol. I'm not suggesting people casually use it for this purpose, because it is not what the manufacturer intended and I am not a doctor, but that is the primary way I use it and it works for me.

Worked great for me during pregnancy!

from Dutton, AL

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

I cannot say enough about how this medicine helped me with the severe heart burn that I experienced with my last pregnancy!  Tums were like eating candy and just not helping at all.  It didn't matter if I ate something that was not spicy at all, if I ate it, it was bound to give me heart burn!  The doctor told me that I could take Pepcid AC and boy was I glad I did!  I could take one and within 15 minutes I was feeling soo much better.  Or if I took one before I ate I rarely ever got heartburn the remainder of the pregnancy.  You might want to double check with your doctor if you are pregnant to make sure it's ok.  I took it almost the entire pregnancy with no side affects.  If I ever get pregnant again I will make sure I have a box of these on hand!  Now if they could come up with something to get rid of morning sickness that worked just as well!  I give this product five stars and I rarely ever give any product that many!  Thumbs up!

Big acid relief

from Bethel Springs, TN

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

My husband went to the doctor and found outhe had an ulcer. well he tried this prouct and it worked. It helped him alot better than anythang else. It helps reduce acid and all thatbunch of good stuff. I know doctors recommend it so it must be good or they wouldnt

works great and safe during pregnancy!

from Athens, GA

Comments about Pepcid AC Acid Reducer, Original Strength:

I’m about eleven weeks pregnant now. During my last pregnancy I struggled with severe acid reflux and heartburn that lingered after my son was born. Anyone who has heartburn will tell you, it’s miserable. When I found out I was pregnant this time, one of my signs was increased heartburn and discomfort. Since I couldn’t take Prilosec or Zantac anymore and Mylanta and Tums wasn’t working, my doctor put me on Pepcid AC, twice a day for heartburn relief. I’ve been really happy with the results. One pill each night and morning and the heartburn stays away. Occasionally I have some flare ups but, for the most part, the Pepcid is working well for me. I also think it has helped with my morning sickness simply because I think that my nausea was partly because of the acid in my stomach churning all the time. The Pepcid AC pills are small and easy to swallow. They also don’t break down in your mouth like some pills can or leave an after taste. I’m also glad that the Pepcid has nearly eliminated the need for the chalky Tums and Mylanta. The price can be a little high but its easy to find coupons if you look.