Other Rental Cars:

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Great service and easy ride

I was moving from Buffalo, NY to Pittsburgh, PA and needed an affrodably priced moving truck. I had a decent amount of furniture (bedroom set with an extra dresser, dining room table and chairs, china cabinet, server, kitchen table and chairs, coffee table and end tables) along with all the boxes of my clothing, dishes, etc. After googling moving vans and asking around, Penske was my choice. They have reasonable prices, spacious trucks and were very helpful every time I spoke with them. They also did not charge any additional fees to turn the truck in to another city from where you rented it. I was surprised that many companies charged for this "service" especially since the purpose of renting their vehicles is to move. The truck we received was clean and odor free (I looked at a car from another service and it reeked of cigarette smoke). It also provided a smooth ride and better gas mileage then I was expecting for a large truck. Overall a great experience and I would use Penske again for a move.

Customer Service
I had wonderful experiences every time I spoke with customer service. I had gone online and wasn't sure about the size I would need. When I spoke with customer service, they walked me through the different sizes and asked about what type of furniture I had and how many boxes. They made it easy to determine what size truck I would need. They also walked me through the process of what I would need to pick it up and found the location for drop off nearest to me in the Pittsburgh area. They also worked with me asking about whether I had AAA, who my employer was, etc to see if they had any additional discount programs available to bring the price down. This was a welcome change considering most companies try to up sell you rather then work to save you money.

Vehicle Selection
I like that there are a variety of sizes available.

DON'T GO PENSKE! CUSTOMER SERVICE HORRIBLE!!!

My husband and I drove across country from San Francisco Bay Area, California, to upstate NY December 2007 with a Penske truck and car carrier. We were stopped in Nevada because we did not have chains on the tires of the Penske truck. They warned us there would be a fine of about 2-300 dollars, and if we're caught without them, we would have to purchase them at the checkpoint costing about $250 for a pair (two tires).

When I called Penske, they advised me not to buy the chains because if something happens, then we're responsible for the truck. And they don't provide chains when renting a truck. Also, they would only give us one extra day.

Thus, we backtracked, until we found an auto place where we can buy the chains for a lot cheaper. There were several checkpoints where they told us we had to put on our chains, and we did, in Nevada and throughout Wyoming. In Wyoming, in fact, they closed down the major highways, so everyone who was traveling was stuck in that state. Those chains were not only enforced upon us by police, and checkpoints, but also the awful snow storm that has caused us to be stuck a couple of times, and luckily we were saved by the chains.

Overall, if we didn't buy the chains, we would've been charged late fees, and most likely we would've had an accident, like every other sedan, SUV, tractor trailer, and truck that passed us going beyond 20 mph.

They accepted the chains at the drop off location, 93 Industrial Park Drive, Binghamton, NY, and gave us the Risk Management phone number, to avoid refunding us. I was told by Risk Management this location gives the public their number all the time when a customer is dissatisfied, but they cannot help us because they only deal with accidents.

Therefore, that brings us back to the drop off location, where the Rental Representative, Amanda, who accepted the chains told us after speaking with her District Manager, Alex, they are not responsible for the weather. Frustrated, we inquired to speak with the District Manager, and he tells my husband I've done the drive before and you could've waited it out. I'm sure he's done the drive before, but I bet it wasn't in the winter, it wasn't with his family, it wasn't with everything he ever owned, and I also bet he probably got everything free from Penske. Oh, and we did wait it out. We were trapped in Wyoming, until police opened the roads again. So thanks for the response. That was really quite helpful.

WARNING ALL CUSTOMERS, we were not refunded for the chains, and yet the Penske drop off location kept our chains that WE purchased.

DON'T GO PENSKE! CUSTOMER SERVICE HORRIBLE!!!

from Endicott, NY